What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2013 (1 Viewer)

I had never listened to this before, but Avicii album is great.
Agreed. It's surprisingly complex for a "dance record".
Yeah, a lot if different styles there from country, folk, that 60s Amy Winehouse blues revival, and pure dance music. I heard that Hey Brother song on the radio and was confused when they said who the artist was. Not at all what i thought Avicii would sound like. It's a cool album.

Deafhaven - vocals irritate me(one sub genre of metal I loathe) ; but holy crap the instrumentation is top notch

Deafhaven - vocals irritate me(one sub genre of metal I loathe) ; but holy crap the instrumentation is top notch
Deafheaven album will end up pretty high on my AOTY list and I also am not a fan of the style of vocals. It is the hardest rocking music I have heard this year. The band just crushes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear music curator website (all of you),

If you're going to put out a list of top XX albums of 2013, give us the ####ing list! Don't make me click through a gallery or slideshow or any of that nonsense.

Sincerely,

management

Buzzfeed's 23 Best Rock Records of 2013

Their top 10:

1. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

2. My Bloody Valentine - MBV

3. Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time

4. Deerhunter - Monomania

5. Haim - Days are Gone

6. Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

7. Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic

8. Tricot - THE

9. Marnie Stern - The Chronicles of Marnia

10. Arcade Fire - Reflektor

If we are taking about AOTY, for me, Local Natives went wire to wire. It is the first album I added to my 2013 playlist and I still think it is the best album of the year.

Girls Against Boys has a new EP and it's good! For all you hip fogeys.

ETA: I guess it's been out since like March

Ilov80s said:
If we are taking about AOTY, for me, Local Natives went wire to wire. It is the first album I added to my 2013 playlist and I still think it is the best album of the year.
I forgot about this one and left it off my list. I may need to send an amendment.

Im going to have to put together my list, but it should end up Top 5 this year for me, and Ive really liked a ton of albums this year. Ive also been consistently listening to it still and for the entire year, definitely my most listened to album.

Im going to have to put together my list, but it should end up Top 5 this year for me, and Ive really liked a ton of albums this year. Ive also been consistently listening to it still and for the entire year, definitely my most listened to album.
I have played it beginning to end like 10 times this week alone. There isn't a bad song on it. I feel like it has been overlooked in many of the lists I've seen.

Ilov80s said:
Kenny Powers said:
I have played it beginning to end like 10 times this week alone. There isn't a bad song on it. I feel like it has been overlooked in many of the lists I've seen.
Agreed on both of the bolded.

I was looking at metacritic's composite music critics best album list yesterday, and just double checked it again now, and of the 23 music magazines they listed, NONE had Local Natives anywhere in the top 10 (they stopped at #10).

I totally forgot about this album, I think in part because I kept checking spotify for it and it was never there, but I thought about it over the weekend. Well, it was on spotify finally and Ive been listening to it a ton since.

That album would be Hanni El Khatib's Head In The Dirt (even if you've never heard of him, you probably have heard his song You Rascal You that was on a liquor commercial a year or 2 ago). I liked his debut that You Rascal You was on, and was interested to see where he went, as the debut is pretty raw but interesting. An easy comparison to him I think is Jack White or Black Keys, but he definitely has something of his own going on, and thats even more apparent on the new album, which coincidentally was produced by TBK's Dan Auerbach (and the production is great). Like the aforementioned, he's based in blues rock, but really has a sprawling sound. Not a bad song on the new album. I guess the best way to describe it is catchy guitar driven rock. I actually think the album gets better as it goes. Hard to even pick what songs to link, they're all good and offer something a little different.

Pay No Mind

House On Fire

I actually think this album makes a late push into my top 10 this year. Loving it.

Futurebirds.
:goodposting:

Meant to mention these guys a few weeks ago when I first gave their new one Baby Yaga a couple listens. Ive liked them since I first heard them a few years ago with their EP that had Megachills, Dirty D, and a few others on it. Really like their sound, lots of reverb and lap slide, but my only complaint with them is for some reason their songs all start to sound the same to me. Thats a little bit of an exaggeration, but not much. The new one is more of the same, gotta give it more listens though, but I like it.

I think anyone who like the Kurt Vile, Phosphosrescent, or early My Morning Jacket should definitely check out Futurebirds.
Way late to the party on this one. Good Call.

Has anyone mentioned the Travis album? Hadn't listened to those guys in years and their new record is their first in 5 years. It's pretty frigging good.

I totally forgot about this album, I think in part because I kept checking spotify for it and it was never there, but I thought about it over the weekend. Well, it was on spotify finally and Ive been listening to it a ton since.

That album would be Hanni El Khatib's Head In The Dirt (even if you've never heard of him, you probably have heard his song You Rascal You that was on a liquor commercial a year or 2 ago). I liked his debut that You Rascal You was on, and was interested to see where he went, as the debut is pretty raw but interesting. An easy comparison to him I think is Jack White or Black Keys, but he definitely has something of his own going on, and thats even more apparent on the new album, which coincidentally was produced by TBK's Dan Auerbach (and the production is great). Like the aforementioned, he's based in blues rock, but really has a sprawling sound. Not a bad song on the new album. I guess the best way to describe it is catchy guitar driven rock. I actually think the album gets better as it goes. Hard to even pick what songs to link, they're all good and offer something a little different.

Pay No Mind

House On Fire

I actually think this album makes a late push into my top 10 this year. Loving it.
Cant stop listening to this, will definitely end up in my top 10.

Futurebirds.
:goodposting:

Meant to mention these guys a few weeks ago when I first gave their new one Baba Yaga a couple listens. Ive liked them since I first heard them a few years ago with their EP that had Megachills, Dirty D, and a few others on it. Really like their sound, lots of reverb and lap slide, but my only complaint with them is for some reason their songs all start to sound the same to me. Thats a little bit of an exaggeration, but not much. The new one is more of the same, gotta give it more listens though, but I like it.

I think anyone who like the Kurt Vile, Phosphosrescent, or early My Morning Jacket should definitely check out Futurebirds.
Way late to the party on this one. Good Call.
Gotta give this one some more listens. You should also check out their live album from last year Seney-Stovall. I have yet to see them live but anyone I know who has seen them raves about it. Some real good covers on that album as well, Chris Isaak's Wicked Game and Stevie Nicks' Wild Heart.

Wild Heart

paramore / bring me the horizon / laura stevenson / the civil wars / protest the hero / the devil wears prada / conditions / the joy formidable / the venetia fair / afi / moving mountains / august burns red / letlive / hands like houses

I hate to say it, but the new world order seems to result in fewer quality records and possibly more good songs. Is there a song version of this poll?

I've listened to MBV's In Another Way and Vampire Weekend's Step multiple times in the last hour.

In Another Way

Step

I have not listened to any new stuff outside of the Pearl Jam album. But google play store had the chvurches album for free. Not bad from what I heard. Searched them here and apparently apple jack hates them

Id have to say the 2 biggest surprises for me this year were Vampire Weekend and Arctic Monkeys.

I liked VW's debut quite a bit, but it wasnt great songwriting by any means and had a few fillers. I didnt care much for Contra at all and cant name a song I liked off it because after a handful of listens I could tell it wasnt hitting me like the debut and seemed like a sell out album. I guess that's where the biggest surprise comes for me with them and Modern Vampires since I have liked some of their previous work, but with the new one I felt like theyve taken it to an much higher level musically, lyrically, and just general songwriting. Many songs are quite catchy, but that "cheap" catchiness of the debut is gone as theyve matured and the music has more depth to it. What also surprises me at tells me how great of an album it is, is that literally 7-8 tracks from it could be my favorite from the album on a given day.

As for Arctic Monkeys, never listened to them much. I remember their debut blowing up when I was in college, including in my circle of friends who listened to more indie type music than myself those days. I gave it a shot, but couldnt get into at all and didnt understand the hype. Over the past few months even listening to WPSIATWIN again, as well as the rest of their albums, while there are songs here and there I like a lot, in general they dont do much for me. However, I think AM is fantastic. I guess it remains to be seen with their next album if AM was a progression in their sound or more of an outlier, but I hear so many different influences on it yet it sounds like their own, and the track to track stylings are much more varied than their previous efforts. Im certainly hoping they continue in this direction.

I realize both of these bands are pretty popular and have plenty of fans around here and elsewhere, but just based on my expectations and enjoyment of both bands previously, these were both major surprises for me. I think both deserve all of the end of the year acclaim they are getting, and both are probably in my top 5 of 2013 which I thought was loaded with great albums.

Doing a lot of year end list searching and listening to stuff I missed,

Finally got around to listening to that Mikal Cronin. Didnt blow me away, but very solid and will get more listens for sure.

My favorite of the year was The Naked and Famous - In Rolling Waves.

It's not the album I wanted from them (more of their first album), but it's better than what I wanted.

The year wrapped...the albums I find myself going back to listen to the most often are:

QOTSA

Savages

Haim

Arctic Monkeys

I also keep going back to Bloodnstuff, who I discovered in 2013, but I believe the album came out in 2012.

'90s nostalgists would love Swearin' and Connections.
What is this? I'm not getting any useful answers from searching either of those.
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/swearin-mn0002981771http://www.allmusic.com/artist/connections-mn0003164922
Thanks, I didn't think about Allmusic, was just trying Youtube.
Here are a couple of You Tube links. Swearin' - Watered Down

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sq_rojEn-U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2Sq_rojEn-U

Swearin' - Dust in the Gold Sack

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJpU85VquO8

Connections - Finally

'90s nostalgists would love Swearin' and Connections.
What is this? I'm not getting any useful answers from searching either of those.
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/swearin-mn0002981771http://www.allmusic.com/artist/connections-mn0003164922
Thanks, I didn't think about Allmusic, was just trying Youtube.
Here are a couple of You Tube links.Swearin' - Watered Down

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sq_rojEn-U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2Sq_rojEn-U

Swearin' - Dust in the Gold Sack

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJpU85VquO8

Connections - Finally

Thanks, I just went in and used my itunes gift card to get some albums from them.

Users who are viewing this thread