What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2014 (1 Viewer)

Since I pre-ordered the new Afghan Whigs album "Do To The Beast" from SubPop, I'm able to stream it until its April 15th release.

Without Rick McCollum playing guitar on it, I have difficulty classifying it as an Afghan Whigs album, but whatever it's called, it's very, very good.

Since I pre-ordered the new Afghan Whigs album "Do To The Beast" from SubPop, I'm able to stream it until its April 15th release.

Without Rick McCollum playing guitar on it, I have difficulty classifying it as an Afghan Whigs album, but whatever it's called, it's very, very good.
whoa... rebirth of the cool just popped onto my ipod (always on shuffle) as I clicked on this thread and saw your post.

Tycho - Awake is really cool.

Loving Cloud Nothings, but I might be a biased fanboy. There isn't hard hooky rock that's good anymore, or that has that kinda 90s angst to it. I think Cloud Nothings has done it well twice in a row now.

Finally got my hands on this Afghan Whigs. Early returns are good. McCollum or no, it sounds about as Whiggy as 1965 did :shrug:

Finally got my hands on this Afghan Whigs. Early returns are good. McCollum or no, it sounds about as Whiggy as 1965 did :shrug:
My biggest beef is with the production. Dulli's vocal mix on a lot of songs is muddy and the songs don't have the same kind of looseness and swagger as they once did—the drawbacks of having 2 - 3 guitarists fill in for Rick's parts and not tracking quite as "live" as they used to.

Also, McCollum is/was a guitar hero of mine, so I'd have really liked to hear his evolution and the playing choices he would've made. No one else would've played the slide on Honky's Ladder like him . . .

Still, great record.

Last edited by a moderator:
The War on Drugs album is fantastic. Finally got around to listening yesterday, blew me away and wanted to listen again right afterwards. I thought Slave Ambient was a big jump for them/him, but Lost In The Dream is far superior to Slave Ambient. Im actually glad Kurt Vile left the band, Granduciel just seems to be growing as a musician.

Probably my album of the year at this point.

I come bearing gifts...

New song from Jack White's upcoming album Lazaretto here ..its an instrumental track but it ####ing rocks.

Also from a couple nights ago at a show, The War On Drugs with Jim James covering Mind Games ...its a bit sloppy, but im not complaining.

Robert Cray's "In My Soul" was released today. Listened to it all day. As expected, it's a fantastic blend of blues and soul that will likely be the best "blues" album of the year. The guy has mastered it.

The album "Dissed and Dismissed" by Tony Molina is super-good. Songs are simple hook vehicles with room for little else, a la GBV.
Meant to mention this one.Worth a listen, especially if you think songs by the Minutemen's Double Nickels On The Dime were long and bloated.

:goodposting:

"Algiers" sounds like Twilight Singers to me, but I'm not complaining
I like Algiers but really without that guitar sound why continue on with the same name?
"The Lottery," from the new album.
We're going to have to agree to disagree - I can't even tell McCollum isn't on the record. Sounds more rough like a sub pop record should. Otherwise I really am enjoying it.

I wouldnt call it a supergroup or anything, but Dante Schwebel (Hacienda), Patrick Hallahan (My Morning Jacket), and Adrian Quesada (Grupo Fantasma and others) formed a group called Spanish Gold and are going to release an album this summer. Im liking the first single Out On The Street more with every listen. There's some live stuff on youtube that also has me interested to hear this album.

The War on Drugs album is fantastic. Finally got around to listening yesterday, blew me away and wanted to listen again right afterwards. I thought Slave Ambient was a big jump for them/him, but Lost In The Dream is far superior to Slave Ambient. Im actually glad Kurt Vile left the band, Granduciel just seems to be growing as a musician.

Probably my album of the year at this point.
Just DL'd this this morning after seeing on Pitchforks best new music and listening to some samples. Love it so far.

New Parquet Courts track from their upcoming album was released a few days ago: Sunbathing Animal

Not a fan of the tone of the singers voice on the track, but the instrumentation is so high energy and badass I can't say I care too much.

Yeah but 1965 isn't Up In It nor Congregation.

BTW, the hidden track on Congregation is one of my favorites of that Sub Pop era.

Don't forget the alcohol...oooooh baby...ooooooh baby

Guess that's El Floppo's reference to Miles upthread, maybe? Milez is dead.

eta* Love Battery was such an underrated band back then, too. '67 is such a great song.

New album from Manchester Orchestra is once again solid. Better than the last album Id say, better than Mean Everything to Nothing hard to say.

Top 10 songs of the week <- Good stuff in there.

I really like the new Hold Steady, glad they rebounded after Heaven is Whenever. Just downloaded the Split Single album as well (that's the name of the band - JZilla's old classmate plays on it).

New Parquet Courts track from their upcoming album was released a few days ago: Sunbathing Animal

Not a fan of the tone of the singers voice on the track, but the instrumentation is so high energy and badass I can't say I care too much.
:blackdot:

PC and Savages were my two favorite albums last year... looking forward to this one. I don't have the same problem with the singer's voice.

Users who are viewing this thread