What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2014 (1 Viewer)

Top 10 songs of the week <- Good stuff in there.

I really like the new Hold Steady, glad they rebounded after Heaven is Whenever. Just downloaded the Split Single album as well (that's the name of the band - JZilla's old classmate plays on it).
Glad to see the new song I mentioned earlier from Strand Of Oaks at #2..I saw him live last year, I think it was opening for Phosphorescent. He's awesome and this song definitely has me intrigued for what the new album will sound like

Bunch of Coachella sets streaming (delayed) right now on YouTube. Caught the end of Flatbush Zombies, then flipped through a couple others that were just abysmal. No idea what was going on. 3 channels!

I am out of the loop and need to delve into this thread starting next week, but some 2014 albums I'm really enjoying so far....in no order

St. Vincent (well, obviously)

Tycho

Real Estate

Phantogram

War on Drugs

Hospitality

Top albums right now:

War on Drugs

Cloud Nothing's

St Vincent

MO

Freddie Gibbs

Wild Nothing's

Eternal Summers

Blank Realm

Pangea

YG

Ilov80s said:
Top albums right now:

War on Drugs

Cloud Nothing's

St Vincent

MO

Freddie Gibbs

Wild Nothing's

Eternal Summers

Blank Realm

Pangea

YG
Been meaning to check out the Pangea for awhile now but still have yet to. Besides War on Drugs and MadGibbs (both really good), havent heard the rest. What is MO and YG?

Steve Tasker said:
rockaction said:
I think you really have to like Freeway to like this (and I do -- thought Philadelphia Freeway was one of the best of the aughts) but Freeway has a new EP with Girl Talk.

http://www.datpiff.com/Girl-Talk-Freeway-Broken-Ankles-EP-mixtape.594399.html
I've always wondered why Freeway didn't get more famous. Same with Young Gunz.

Freeway's verse on Kanye's "Two Words"....still great 10 years later IMO.
I have College Dropout in my car right now and am still amazed Mos Def was able to stick to the concept for almost all of his time on the mic.

I liked Young Gunz, too. I think a lot of it had to do with the production teams Roc-A-Fella had going back then. Quality albums.

I, along with the music press, was pleasantly surprised with this new effort. Freeway always had that "something" about his MC'ing that appealed to me.

Digging The Pretty Reckless' "Going to He!!" (Wikipedia page) followed by the Spotify album link here

(warning, NSFW - album art cover shown on both links above may offend some and some of the songs from the Spotify link may have lyrics that offend some).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ilov80s said:
Top albums right now:

War on Drugs

Cloud Nothing's

St Vincent

MO

Freddie Gibbs

Wild Nothing's

Eternal Summers

Blank Realm

Pangea

YG
Been meaning to check out the Pangea for awhile now but still have yet to. Besides War on Drugs and MadGibbs (both really good), havent heard the rest. What is MO and YG?
Wild Nothings should be Wild Beasts, that must have been some crazy auto-correct.

YG is a rapper, album is called My Krazy Life. Here is a track with Kendrick.

Mø is a Euro pop artist, kind of similar to a Lana Del Ray, Lourde, etc. "Fire Rides"

Just starting to catch up with some of the stuff this year/in this thread.

Agree a few that have been posted in here:

St. Vincent

Phantogram

St. Vincent

War on Drugs

Sun Kil Moon

Also think the Hold Steady is better than last two and Afghan Whigs was bit of a letdown

Others that I have liked so far:

Band of Skulls - Himalayan Himalayan

Cunninlynguists - Strange Journey Strange Universe

Hark - Crystalline (fills a little Mastodon fix before they come out with more) Palendromeda

La Dispute - Rooms of the House Hudsonville, MI 1956

Liars - Mess Mask Maker

Motorpsycho - Behind the Sun Cloudwalker (a Darker Blue)

Quilt - Held In Splendor A Mirror

Sorry, Teeth Dreams better than Stay Positive is kooky talk

Hark is nice. A couple Neil Fallon appearances in there I think.

Have I mentioned Truckfighters? Truckfighters are solid, Swedish stoner metal or whatever you want to call it. Prophet

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess TEEN has a new album coming out in a week or two, from what I hear. Looking forward to that one.

RIYL: Dum Dum Girls

New War on Drugs is really good.
Album of the Year by far at this point Id say.
Agree. Fantastic album.
Based on the love in here, I've checked it out... really liking it.

Am I off-base in saying it sounds like Dire Straits?
Nope, I actually think it sounds like a combo of Straits and 80's Dylan, with a little Springsteen as well.

Not a bad combo IMO
I recently described it as a jamtronica-tinged combo of Dylan and Rod Stewart, though I think I like the Dire Straits comparisons better.

New War on Drugs is really good.
Album of the Year by far at this point Id say.
Agree. Fantastic album.
Based on the love in here, I've checked it out... really liking it.

Am I off-base in saying it sounds like Dire Straits?
Nope, I actually think it sounds like a combo of Straits and 80's Dylan, with a little Springsteen as well.

Not a bad combo IMO
I recently described it as a jamtronica-tinged combo of Dylan and Rod Stewart, though I think I like the Dire Straits comparisons better.
yeah... definitely a lot of Dylan in there too. Hadn't thought of Rod Stewart.

It's hit or miss, but lately it's been pretty good (with a bunch of tracks from the ablums you guys have been posting in here)... anybody else listen to KCRW's Music Mine on Spotify?

If you listen to Ghost Of A Saber Tooth Tiger without knowing who it is and passing any judgement based on that, it's fairly impressive

Users who are viewing this thread