What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2016 (1 Viewer)

If you like low stakes GBV indebted power pop, try the new Connections album, Midnight Run. All of their stuff is kinda the same, but I like it all. 

The A/V Club (more and more my favourite review site) posted a nice mid year catchup of more under the radar albums. http://www.avclub.com/article/best-music-2016-so-far-v-clubs-catch-guide-239560

I haven't heard a lot of these and some have been mentioned in here already - I will definitely vouch for Operators.  Black Mountain's is a bit heavy for me but a good album if you're into that as well.
website was acting up, but I was finally able to look through that.  yeah... like you, I've never even heard of most of those. looking forward to trying some of those out... thanks.

I can't listen to Spotfy at work and I realize that it kills my ability to keep up with the latest.   I do see that Dinosaur Jr puts out new one next week(!) Hope the family doesn't mind if we listen to that non-stop on our road trip next weekend.

I can't listen to Spotfy at work and I realize that it kills my ability to keep up with the latest.   I do see that Dinosaur Jr puts out new one next week(!) Hope the family doesn't mind if we listen to that non-stop on our road trip next weekend.
I have it home and at work (free, not mobile) and listen to it non-stop at work.

for some reason- probably because my computer has the best sound- the wife never made her own account or for the kids on her computer... just dumped them as playlists onto my account. so I'll often get bumped from listening at work by some pop-song that my kids are listnening to. don't have the heart to bump them (and want them listening to music)... but also rarely get to play my music out loud at home, as once I get a few songs in most of them don't like it and want to play their own pop tunes. 

The A/V Club (more and more my favourite review site) posted a nice mid year catchup of more under the radar albums. http://www.avclub.com/article/best-music-2016-so-far-v-clubs-catch-guide-239560

I haven't heard a lot of these and some have been mentioned in here already - I will definitely vouch for Operators.  Black Mountain's is a bit heavy for me but a good album if you're into that as well.
A lot to check out on that list.  Thanks.

I can definitely vouch for the Pinegrove and Big Thief recs.

And I was coming in to the thread now to recommend that Whitney album.  Great summer record.

Hinds - Leave Me Alone

Kinda seems like a genre crossover of surf pop and psych rock with a lo-fi feel.  4 women from Madrid.  Somewhat scatterbrained vocals a la Warpaint.  Album has been out for a while but I finally got to it today, definitely enjoying it....saw it hadn't been mentioned in here on a search so figured I'd put in a comment.

RIYL:  Real Estate, Speedy Ortiz, Warpaint

Great, link.  Agree, and they are one of my go tos for music and movie lists. 

Not sure if others use this, but I also check out AOTY's website, since it's one stop shopping for the different sites' ratings of albums.  Linked AV Club's highest rated so far this year, but you can use the pull down to see Pitchfork, Paste, Rolling Stone, etc.. 

AOTY

I didn't know that.  :wub:

One record that has my full interest is "Outer Heaven" by the Greys.    Anyone here know about this joint?   seems like what I know of tastes of some in here this would be a big hit. 

Track samples:

Blown Out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NSI7F7QEoI

No Star:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFhLEOtH6YM

From the Amazon editorial on Outer Heaven:

This is next on my list for consumption.   I'll report back after a couple listens, but all boned up over everything I've heard so far.   

@Fiddles you get on this yet?   My AotY by a mile so far.   

Saw Greys open for White Lung the other day.. they were good, I only really like "No Star" though

I thought White Lung ruled.. I'm not sure my poosay cohorts agreed, they seemed to like Greys better. 

Deftones last night at Pier Six crushed them all 

My inbox appears to be working.. Ahrn wait.. got me in the mood to get stuffed

Yeah, I'm dumm.   MY box was full and it won't let you send anything.  I just saw "full inbox" and "couldn't send" and assumed it was yours.   But I should have known that I am way more in demand around here than you are.  Your negatives outweigh your positives, you bring little..   :coffee:  

Seems like a good release day, to my tastes at least - Dinosaur Jr, Arkells, Wild Beasts, Russian Circles, Blossoms
On my list for later today.  

They're playing back-to-back shows in Buffalo on a Friday and Saturday night in December.  I'm loosely planning a vacation so wasn't sure if I could attend....the Saturday show sold out in like 2 days.  I picked up a ticket for Friday just in case.  Insane.

They're playing back-to-back shows in Buffalo on a Friday and Saturday night in December.  I'm loosely planning a vacation so wasn't sure if I could attend....the Saturday show sold out in like 2 days.  I picked up a ticket for Friday just in case.  Insane.
They announced two Toronto shows this AM. Massey Hall. I have seen them so many times, I was thinking I could pass it up but on one listen I really like this new album. "Drake's Dad" and "Private School" are kind of left field songs as singles. There is a lot of slower/mid-tempo type songs on it. A lot of it reminds me of Jackson Square but updated with their more recent strings/horns/gospel.

Been randomly going through that AV list and trying to play some catch up on the year. 

Really have been enjoying Pity Sex - White Hot Moon.  Scratching that 90s itch very well.  Never heard their '13 release, so they were new to me.  I picked up on styles from Sonic Youth to Hole in here. 

While not its on my fave of their's,  Tegan and Sara - Love You to Death is still damn good, especially love Boyfriend.  

And yes, Zilla, that Scorpion Child album kicks ###. 

Time to plug into some Dino Jr. !!

Really liking a lot of stuff on that AV Club list posted above.  One of the standouts from the ones I have gotten to has been the Muncie Girls - From Caplan to Belsize.  Was perfect for the car ride this morning.  I ended up listening to it twice.  Just some good, catchy, smart, rockin' tunes.   While not catching me quite to the level their debut did, I also dug Mourn - Ha, Ha, He

I bought 4 for the Friday at Massey Hall in the presale today. The presale sold out. I don't know what I'm going to end up doing that weekend. Now I have tickets for Arkells on Friday (Nov 4th) and Pet Shop Boys on Sunday (6th)... already that's expensive, without factoring in possible hotel and food drink etc. if I stay over, and Monday the 7th is when Foals is in Toronto. I haven't bought tickets for that yet, but can I not go? :bag:  

have not checked out the greys yet but will.  im seeing dino jr this weekend as part of a big festival headlined by quicksand. need to listen to their new one. 

thanks to Spotify, I just stumbled onto Cheena's Spend the Night With... 

really like it- somebody took a Strokes seed, planted it in Brooklyn and watered it with most of that local scene of the last 5 years. has the self-aware posery feel that the strokes always had (to me, at least)... but good guitar driven, garagey/indie-stadium-rock. highly recommending this one.

Bif Thief - Masterpiece is my jam.

GB just turned me onto the new Rostam & Hamilton Leithauser single.  Huge.

Need to go through this thread and pick up a few more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daywalker said:
These older white Trump voters don't care about the future.  They are at the end of the line and they know it.

A wall is the only thing they might see.

We are talking about the most selfish generation ever.
:subscribe:

Daywalker said:
These older white Trump voters don't care about the future.  They are at the end of the line and they know it.

A wall is the only thing they might see.

We are talking about the most selfish generation ever.
third track off that... "it was obviously sarcasm"... is a ripper.

Users who are viewing this thread