What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2016 (2 Viewers)

just got spotified to a new Dirty Projectors single. I'm up and down with their stuff- but the stuff I'm up on, I'm really up on (rise above is one of my favorite tunes of hte last 10 years).

speaking of spotify- really digging their recent/new/new-to-me "Release Radar" that compiles new releases into a playlist based on music you like/listen to. 

eta: ooh... new No Age single on the release radar

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm digging the new Nots album, Cosmetic, which means I can finally bring something to this thread. Kinda jammy noise punk grrl rock stuff.

Spotify just informed me there's a new Ultimate Painting record. I really liked the last one by these guys and this sounds like more of the same so far. RIYL White Fence, the Velvet Underground's mellower side, etc.

Spotify just informed me there's a new Ultimate Painting record. I really liked the last one by these guys and this sounds like more of the same so far. RIYL White Fence, the Velvet Underground's mellower side, etc.
I love their last one.  Thanks for the heads up.

I really liked their 2012 EP and 2014 LP.  I haven't heard the new one yet---will check it out.
I loved Merchandise's After the End album in 2014 but so far the new one seems like kind of a lateral move.  The last one was a grower though and maybe this one will be too.

I really like this Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam album (Walkmen singer and Vampire Weekend guy). Right near the top of my favourites for the year.

I really like this Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam album (Walkmen singer and Vampire Weekend guy). Right near the top of my favourites for the year.
Can't wait to bunker down for this. Just spent big time money on a Walkmen poster from a nice company, so you know I love them. Sounds like, from the iTunes commercial, that he's back to his plaintive wail and Rostam will be the rock behind it instead of the Dad Rock and swoon croon we heard from his past two releases. 

I live in a nameless town... 

Can't wait to bunker down for this. Just spent big time money on a Walkmen poster from a nice company, so you know I love them. Sounds like, from the iTunes commercial, that he's back to his plaintive wail and Rostam will be the rock behind it instead of the Dad Rock and swoon croon we heard from his past two releases. 

I live in a nameless town... 
The crooning is definitely still there but it sounds awesome over Rostram's music. 

Listened to Goat's new one and now I'm reobsessed with these ####### weirdos. Totally missed Commune from a couple of years ago and it may be their best. 

Listened through once, but Jamie T's latest is very disappointing.
the last one was pretty bleh. just listened to the first single off of this and it didn't grab me either. I think of Jamie T and the Streets in the same thought... felt like the Mike guy from the Streets pushed that project a little further/better than jamie T so far... even though I lost steam with the Streets too.

but oh! my favorite album from last year was Hooton Tennis Club's first... and spotify just kindly alerted me that they have a new one out. about to dive in... cautiously optimistic/pessimistic.

the last one was pretty bleh. just listened to the first single off of this and it didn't grab me either. I think of Jamie T and the Streets in the same thought... felt like the Mike guy from the Streets pushed that project a little further/better than jamie T so far... even though I lost steam with the Streets too.

but oh! my favorite album from last year was Hooton Tennis Club's first... and spotify just kindly alerted me that they have a new one out. about to dive in... cautiously optimistic/pessimistic.
played through it, and FINALLY got to a kick-### song at the end.

except that it wasn't the end. it was the beginning of last year's album.

really, really meh.

Might have to dust off the ol bit torrent

MP3 is actually $1 cheaper at amazon than on their site

played through it, and FINALLY got to a kick-### song at the end.

except that it wasn't the end. it was the beginning of last year's album.

really, really meh.
I listened to it while on a bike ride and that damned bicycle bell sound effect that's on a couple of songs got me to look over my shoulder.

Other than that, it sounded like a reunion album from a third-rate 90s Britpop band.

Since I know that more than a few of you like the harder stuff...

Microsoft selling digital copies of a few hard rock albums for $0.31/each.  Megadeth, Slayer, Rob Zombie, and Marilyn Mansion plus others - details at the SlickDeals thread linked below. Should be MP3 @ 320 and transferable to iTunes/Google Music as needed.

List of Albums for $0.31

I listened to it while on a bike ride and that damned bicycle bell sound effect that's on a couple of songs got me to look over my shoulder.

Other than that, it sounded like a reunion album from a third-rate 90s Britpop band.
that's perfect.

really disappointed in this one. it's like they took everything that made the first one fun and distinct and just washed it all away into something more "palatable". just boring, pointless stuff.

This Crying album is really cool. It's like Styx hooked up with Diarrhea Planet fronted by one of those Crutchfield girls. The guitarist wails. 

One that slipped past me when it was released back in April has been getting a lot of play from me lately:

Quiet Life - "Foggy"

Good americana with excellent hooks and songwriting. A better version of what Dawes does if you like that sort of thing.

Sleaford Mods have yet another one out... just as good as the rest of theirs. or not, if you don't like them. I do.

New Lambchop and Efterklang albums today.

Well, I'm excited about that :shrug:
That new Lambchop single intrigued me.  Looking forward to hearing the entire album.
funny- my spotify new release feed told me there was a new Lady Lamb... and I mistakenly thought it was Lambchop. looking forward to giving the latter a listen.
it's decent... but a bit EZ-listening version of James Blake styled blue-eyed techno R&B. 

Marching Church... anybody? lead singer from Ice Age, I think. has kind of a Nick Cave/bad seeds vibe. I'm absolutely digging a first listen, but not sure if I'll have it in me for more.

Nice, new Japandroids and The Men!

Really digging the Public Access T.V. album; RIYL Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, The Cars 

Users who are viewing this thread