What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2016 (1 Viewer)

Finally got around to Yeasayer's new one.  Seems it came and passed with little fanfare...looked up the charts and it was by far their lowest-charting album in awhile.

Nothing really special.  "Silly Me" is pretty good and super poppy.  Otherwise it's a lot of the same without the same grabbers that some of their previous albums had.

Real tentative top 5 at the moment for Pill, in no order:

White Lung / Hinds / Japanese Breakfast / Sunflower Bean / KAYTRANADA

I listened to Holy Ghost by Modern Baseball a couple times over the weekend based on the positive reviews basically everywhere and it's pretty good. It's more indie-rock leaning than their emo-ish past albums but still emo influenced. Two singers, one gets side A, the other side B. Here's Note to Self and  Just Another Face.

Real tentative top 5 at the moment for Pill, in no order:

White Lung / Hinds / Japanese Breakfast / Sunflower Bean / KAYTRANADA
I concur with several mentioned so far.  Here are 5 more favorites for Pill that I hadn't seen mentioned:

Big Thief

Sea Pinks

Steve Mason

Whitney

Sioux Falls

Northern Voice said:
I listened to Holy Ghost by Modern Baseball a couple times over the weekend based on the positive reviews basically everywhere and it's pretty good. It's more indie-rock leaning than their emo-ish past albums but still emo influenced. Two singers, one gets side A, the other side B. Here's Note to Self and  Just Another Face.
The Hotelier mines similar territory but on first couple listens is even better. Between these two bands and TWIABP from last year (just google it, I'm not typing all that #### out) apparently I'm a "fourth wave emo" fan.

I've been listening to a lot of R&B since the jukebox draft.  "Malibu" by Anderson .Paak is an excellent modern rhythm & blues album that hasn't had the blues autotuned  and programmed out.  Paak (minus the stupid punctuation) sings and raps in his distinctive raspy tenor over a wide variety of beats.  The record has the usual load of producers and guest artists but still has a great flow and holds together as an album.  The lyrics are decent as well, albeit incomprehensible at times to an old white guy.

Album of the year so far for me.

I was hoping someone put this in here.  Can't stop listening to this album.  Just awesome mix of blues/funk.  Plus he makes sweet love to those drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcHkYSvO93Q

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow is another big album release day. Wilco, Okkervil River, Teenage Fanclub, Nick Cave, Local Natives, July Talk. I think all but Nick Cave are streaming somewhere or another already.

Next Friday has Cymbals Eat Guitars (already streaming), Against Me, Dawes, Preoccupations (formerly Viet Cong)

Angel Olsen :wub:
I'm a fan... but loooved that last album because there are 3 or 4 tracks that I thought were just outstanding (and more rocking). this one has the same vibe, just less rocking and no real grabbers for tunes for me. still solid though.

Caught a cool new band last night:  The Lemon Twigs. Opened up for Car Seat Headrest in Atlanta and these kids (really, they are teenagers) blew me away with their interesting brand of power pop.  Kind of a blend of Big Star and ELO with some harder edges and prog flourishes at times.  Their debut album for 4AD comes out next month.

They have two songs on Spotify right now: These Words and As Long As We're Together.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links to your 2016 mixes guys.  Motivated me to get going on mine too. 

One album that I keep going back to is Thao & The Get Down Stay Down - A Man Alive.  

Seems Iike the vast majority of this thread mainly applies to indie or non stream music. With that being said--I do want to mention one of the better albums that I have listened to this year is The Getaway by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.   Dark Necessities is great. Go Robot has a great 70-80's funky vibe to it.  The song Getaway is one of those songs that you are unsure that you like the first few times that you hear it--but then it grows on you.   Those are just a few of the tracks--but the others are also pretty solid.  

I'm a fan... but loooved that last album because there are 3 or 4 tracks that I thought were just outstanding (and more rocking). this one has the same vibe, just less rocking and no real grabbers for tunes for me. still solid though.
I really, actively, dislike most of what RHCP has put out in the last decade or so, but I like "Dark Neccesities" a lot. Not enough that I've listened to the new album, but it's a good song.

Liking the new St. Paul and the broken bones

heres what's streaming on my latest playlist that I am diggin

case/Lang/veirs

borns, late to the game from 2015, but great album

tegan and Sara, very pop, very short, but still fun

fitz and the tantrums, very pop, and fun as well

sam beam and jesca hoop

school of seven bells

New nAda surf 

New band of horses

New mudcrutch

margo price

new Ingrid michaelson

new Michael kiwanuka

white denim

new Amos lee

new wilco

Sumerlands is a kickass metal album. 

Cymbals Eat Guitars is good too. 

Floppo I assume you're all over Preoccupations. 

I dunno... "Shut Up Kiss Me" is pretty grabby.

The Dreaded Marco said:
Nigel Tufnel said:
Floppo I assume you're all over Preoccupations. 
I was just going to post here about this one too.  Love it.

The Bauhaus & the Bunnymen fronted by Richard Butler comparisons are accurate and sound great.
just popped it in, on spotify... and just saw they used to be Viet Cong- I feel pretty confident I AM going to be all over this. thanks for the shout :thumbup:

oh- floppinho (9) does school of rock for drums and rock-band (they call it "performance"). I asked his teacher how summer went- said great, got to go on colbert show. wow... which band. oh- I'm not in the band, but they're these guys I play with on some tracks, good buddies of mine. oh- who? parquet courts. and then he turned around and walked off before I could slobber on his shoes. 

also.. this Preoccupations album- and it took some scraping through my brain- but it reminds me a bit of a band from the way back called Danse Society. gothy/new-wavey/post-punk.

Going to see Car Seat Headrest tonight.  :excited:
Pretty good show.  Kept it pretty close to the album version for the most part and setlist was really heavy on Teens of Denial. No complaints.  Lead singer looks like a 24 year old version of McLovin which takes a little while to warm up to.  Venue holds about 700 people so great place to see a show.  Opening act Lucy Dacus was also better than I expected.

Is Merchandise a band I need to know about? Their new one is pretty solid but I've managed to avoid all their previous work. 

Users who are viewing this thread