What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best big TV for my buck? (1 Viewer)

If I dont redo my basement - I think when my projector craps out I'll probably buy a 75-80 tv......

I'm at 105 and not sure that size difference is worth going projector again

Hopefully this doesn't involve a lot of daytime viewing in a bright room. Oled isn't ideal for that situation.
This is interesting and I have a question for the LED vs OLED comparison. From what I read, it appears that when watching movies or streaming shows in a dark room, OLED is the easy winner for that home theater type setting.

If you tend to watch more regular TV (network drama/sitcom, news, etc.) than movies or gaming... is LED sufficient (considering price point vs OLED) for those viewing habits?

What about live sports, is there a huge difference in the two displays? We have an open living room, high ceiling, plenty of light. She watches tv during the day and we watch regular tv and lots of sports at night. Rarely watch movies. I'm looking for a 70" tv and notice that OLED TVs are more expensive. Do I need one?

The TCL Roku TVs are great values. I'm pretty sure they go up 75" and might have an 85" one. Their ease with using the apps is a lot smoother than Samsung TVs, imo.
I'm getting a smaller Roku TV for my bedroom. Currently have a roku express device connected to an older tv. With the Roku built into the tv... is there any noticeable difference in channel load time with on-board Roku tech than with an external Roku device? I mean when watching live TV such as Hulu or Youtube TV changing between channels in the guide.

Hopefully this doesn't involve a lot of daytime viewing in a bright room. Oled isn't ideal for that situation.
This is interesting and I have a question for the LED vs OLED comparison. From what I read, it appears that when watching movies or streaming shows in a dark room, OLED is the easy winner for that home theater type setting.

If you tend to watch more regular TV (network drama/sitcom, news, etc.) than movies or gaming... is LED sufficient (considering price point vs OLED) for those viewing habits?

What about live sports, is there a huge difference in the two displays? We have an open living room, high ceiling, plenty of light. She watches tv during the day and we watch regular tv and lots of sports at night. Rarely watch movies. I'm looking for a 70" tv and notice that OLED TVs are more expensive. Do I need one?
Based on your viewing habits, I'd suggest a Samsung QLED. I was going to get an OLED for my bright family room because the picture quality is the best under the right conditions (dark room with little reflections), but after some research realized the brighter QLED is a better fit. I'll probably go OLED in the bedroom which we'd watch at night.

So for bright rooms, the recommendation leans toward LED as they are still a bit brighter than OLED, but it's not like the old LED vs Plasma issue. In a bright room, you want something that helps minimize reflections, that will be your biggest enemy.

In terms of what you need, I'd say you only need OLED if you want the best picture you can buy, otherwise, it's a matter of trade-off. What is your budget? Higher end would be Samsung QN90A or QN90B series, middle of the road will be the Hisense U9 series or the TCL 6 series, then the rest of the pack. Check out the reviews at rtings.

LED's look great in the store or in a bright room. Period.

Watch a dark movie in a dark room or at night? OLED blows LED's away. LED blacks look grey next to OLED.

so what are the levels of quality in big screen TVs?

are there levels of quality by type - OLED, etc?

I may in the market in the next few months and don't know where to start - it will be a 90" though - and I don't want projection.
90" tv's aren't really a thing. 85" is the top of the regular consumer market.
I mean you could go with either of these options...Samsung 15k and LG 25k :lmao:

dreamy ...hey the 85" drops down to $2.6K ...love it!! thanks man!:thumbup:
Yep the 85/86 are the way to go. That will be my next I think but like to wait for the 8k models to become mainstream.
you'll be waiting 5+ years. they cannot even pump out 4K content on regular tv yet.

so what are the levels of quality in big screen TVs?

are there levels of quality by type - OLED, etc?

I may in the market in the next few months and don't know where to start - it will be a 90" though - and I don't want projection.
90" tv's aren't really a thing. 85" is the top of the regular consumer market.
I mean you could go with either of these options...Samsung 15k and LG 25k :lmao:

dreamy ...hey the 85" drops down to $2.6K ...love it!! thanks man!:thumbup:
Yep the 85/86 are the way to go. That will be my next I think but like to wait for the 8k models to become mainstream.
you'll be waiting 5+ years. they cannot even pump out 4K content on regular tv yet.
Yeah but tons of 4k HDR/Dolby Vision content on streaming so I'd say less than 5. Probably in the 3-4yr range. I couldn't care less about regular TV.

The TCL Roku TVs are great values. I'm pretty sure they go up 75" and might have an 85" one. Their ease with using the apps is a lot smoother than Samsung TVs, imo.
I'm getting a smaller Roku TV for my bedroom. Currently have a roku express device connected to an older tv. With the Roku built into the tv... is there any noticeable difference in channel load time with on-board Roku tech than with an external Roku device? I mean when watching live TV such as Hulu or Youtube TV changing between channels in the guide.
My experience is the load time is the same.

My experience is the load time is the same.
Is your wife happy with the load? I know you said in our other thread that she thinks it's too short.

Based on your viewing habits, I'd suggest a Samsung QLED. I was going to get an OLED for my bright family room because the picture quality is the best under the right conditions (dark room with little reflections), but after some research realized the brighter QLED is a better fit. I'll probably go OLED in the bedroom which we'd watch at night.
This is exactly right. I just bought an LG C2 OLED and returned it in favor of a Samsung QN90BD QLED. The OLED is stunning, but we have a big open room with multiple windows behind the viewer. The reflections are really bad, especially during dark scenes when the screen is essentially a mirror. Way too distracting. The Samsung was just delivered and I haven’t set it up yet. Reviews say it’s ideal for a bright room and it’s the best non-OLED in this price range.

I'm getting a smaller Roku TV for my bedroom. Currently have a roku express device connected to an older tv. With the Roku built into the tv... is there any noticeable difference in channel load time with on-board Roku tech than with an external Roku device? I mean when watching live TV such as Hulu or Youtube TV changing between channels in the guide

I havent noticed any difference in loading times between a stand alone Roku and the onboard Roku on the TCLs.

I’m trying to choose a 75” TV for a dark room. I don’t know anything about LED vs OLED or any other types of TVs. Not looking to break the bank since the TV is going into a basement that I’m in the process of finishing. Lumber, drywall, flooring is not cheap these days. Suggestions on a TV?

I’m trying to choose a 75” TV for a dark room. I don’t know anything about LED vs OLED or any other types of TVs. Not looking to break the bank since the TV is going into a basement that I’m in the process of finishing. Lumber, drywall, flooring is not cheap these days. Suggestions on a TV?
See my comment above. If you want the best TV for a dark environment, it's OLED without question. Nobody will argue that.

Users who are viewing this thread