What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best rock bass player (1 Viewer)

Best rock bass player

• Paul McCartney (The Beatles)

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Jack Bruce (Cream)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • John Entwistle (The Who)

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Chris Squire (Yes)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Geddy Lee (Rush)

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, LTE, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Billy Sheehan (DLR, Mr. Big, Steve Vai)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Les Claypool (Primus)

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

• Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones)

• Total voters
The answer to any of these questions can be found in Motorhead.

In this case I vote Lemmy Kilmister.

Then Flea.

Flea would be good in Motorhead.

Tough, tough call:

Jaco, Clarke, Wooten, Jones, Levin, Bootsy, Watt, Flea, Claypool, Barrett, Lesh, Entwistle, Jones, Woody.

All deserving of praise.

I had to vote for McCartney though.

No one, no matter how technically superior they were, could write bass lines better than McCartney's.

Take another listen to "Something" and just focus on the bass.

The bass line is as pretty as the melody, yet it fits and doesn't overshadow the melody.

Amazing.

If we include jazz, Ray Brown (w/apologies to Mingus).

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted for Entwhistle, but James Jamerson, down?

I would actually say it's Jamerson and it might not be close.

Tough, tough call:

Jaco, Clarke, Wooten, Jones, Levin, Bootsy, Watt, Flea, Claypool, Barrett, Lesh, Entwistle, Jones, Woody.

All deserving of praise.

I had to vote for McCartney though.

No one, no matter how technically superior they were, could write bass lines better than McCartney's.

Take another listen to "Something" and just focus on the bass.

The bass line is as pretty as the melody, yet it fits and doesn't overshadow the melody.

Amazing.

If we include jazz, Ray Brown (w/apologies to Mingus).
That's because McCartney wasn't just a technical robot. He was/is, by far, the best songwriter who ever played the bass, so he brought that element to the instrument.I voted for Entwhistle, but McCartney would have been second on this list IMO.

However the absence of James Jamerson on this list makes me question the person that created the list. IMO, Jamerson is a towering genius who has influenced EVERY bass player since, including the ones on this list.

Tough, tough call:

All deserving of praise.
I like Weather Report and Return to Forever as much as the next guy, but rock music they are not. Voted the Ox for this poll. Levin would have been a great choice as well but I view him more as prog/fusion for his days with Crimson. The Who are the dictionary definition of Rock. Well that and Entwistle just kicks ### on bass.

Coincidentally, drove a co-worker to lunch with me today and I had RTF playing in the car. He had no idea who they were but he did comment on the bass player. :thumbup:

John Taylor of Duran Duran is actually better than some on this list.
I don't know about better, but he's a fantastic player. So underrated. His grooves on "Planet Earth" and "Rio", just for starters, are a joy to listen to.
Yep. That kind of talent is what makes a bass player to me. You realize after hearing the song dozens of times that it's actually the bassline that makes the song special.

John Taylor of Duran Duran is actually better than some on this list.
I don't know about better, but he's a fantastic player. So underrated. His grooves on "Planet Earth" and "Rio", just for starters, are a joy to listen to.
Yep. That kind of talent is what makes a bass player to me. You realize after hearing the song dozens of times that it's actually the bassline that makes the song special.
Agreed on Taylor also.

I voted for the Ox but there are lots of worthy options on the list. I'm surprised Sheehan only has two votes and Burton deserves to be on the list. 

Geddy Lee is simply amazing.

Some other's on this list are also incredible players. But for me Geddy Lee IMO was/is the best rock bassist over the last 40 years. So many incredible bass lines, just so many.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread