What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Betsy Devos....probably going to need her own thread. (1 Viewer)

Here's my thought: who cares about homeschooling? It's such a small number, good for them. It's fine.

Vaccines, go to a different thread. 

All these posts and such little real discussion of anything meaningful or topical.

I've explained my beliefs several times today and how they were formed.  No I didn't say I was looking for discussion I just made a generic comment about vaccines and had no idea so many people were close minded and would go nuts.  

I didn't answer you the first time because you're choosing the reason (science) I have to justify myself with. No thanks. But I'll humor you with this. Is there science stating that mercury is toxic?  Sure. The levels in vaccines are toxic?  I don't know about science but science doesn't dictate everything to me.  I think that's debatable depending on several factors including child's age, size, general health, etc...  
JFC v 2.0  :lmao:

Rambling Wreck, I don't care about you spacing out your vaccines. From what I understand you've got no real cause to do so (the mercury stuff is a myth from what I gather) but that's your business.

However, when you state that each parent should be able to decide whether or not to give their children vaccinations, I very much disagree with you. I think that if a parent decides to give no vaccines to their children, they are creating a public health risk for other children and for the general public at large. That seems like a no brainer. Respectfully, I am asking that you defend your position on this point. 

All the outrage and indignation would almost be cute if it weren't for the fact that it supports a system that has increasingly failed students.  
As a whole public schools have not failed kids. They have been the backbone and training ground of America for about 100 years, you think America has been failing the last 100years? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've explained my beliefs several times today and how they were formed.  No I didn't say I was looking for discussion I just made a generic comment about vaccines and had no idea so many people were close minded and would go nuts.  

I didn't answer you the first time because you're choosing the reason (science) I have to justify myself with. No thanks. But I'll humor you with this. Is there science stating that mercury is toxic?  Sure. The levels in vaccines are toxic?  I don't know about science but science doesn't dictate everything to me.  I think that's debatable depending on several factors including child's age, size, general health, etc...  
I think the reason so many people objected/mocked your position is because its so frustrating. The science on this is pretty well settled. And so when someone comes along and injects non-science reasoning onto a scientific process - that is frustrating. 

And while maybe the responses could have been better, its just been going round and round on this for years. So I reckon a lot of people are frustrated.

I can back that up, as mentioned earlier, with decades of experience (both mine and that of friends and family members) working with formerly home schooled students and their families. The vast majority of experienced educators will agree with me on this. Balanced against this, we have a handful of studies run by organizations advocating for home schooling.

Do some research on the reasons why people choose to home school their children. What do you think that says about the quality of education that they receive?
Oh come on.  Of course experience educators will assume that experience educators have better results.  That is cherry-picking a sample.  Just because the large scale studies were not randomly selected (few studies are) does not make them cherry-picked.  Those studies are far from perfect, but do show home-schooling being very successful for 10's of thousands of students. 

Got a link, I am curious. 
http://www.educationandbehavior.com/what-does-research-say-about-homeschooling/

What Does the Research Say About the Academic Performance of Homeschooled Students?
According to an empirical analysis published in 2010, by Widener Law Review, called Evidence for Homeschooling: Constitutional Analysis in Light of Social Science Research:

“Homeschooled children achieve levels of academic achievement similar to or higher than their publicly schooled peers. These results cut across racial and socio-economic lines. Numerous studies demonstrate that homeschooled students obtain exceptionally high scores on standardized academic achievement tests. For instance, one  nationwide study  analyzed data from 1,952 homeschooled students across the country and found that the students, on average, scored at the eightieth percentile or higher in every test category (i.e.,reading, listening, language, math, science, social studies, study skills, etc.). The national mean for these standardized tests, by contrast, was the 50th percentile.

I'm going to tap out here. Obviously expecting a couple of our resident science-deniers to understand what makes an academic study valid or non-valid is asking waaaaaay too much.
Real class.  I am going to insult you and then leave.  What a tool.   Made a claim and never offered one shred of evidence 

I think the reason so many people objected/mocked your position is because its so frustrating. The science on this is pretty well settled. And so when someone comes along and injects non-science reasoning onto a scientific process - that is frustrating. 

And while maybe the responses could have been better, its just been going round and round on this for years. So I reckon a lot of people are frustrated.
I appreciate your response but honestly most of the responses were from known trolls. It is what it is here and that's not frustration. 

Im sure I'll get mocked for this too but I don't believe in what many do in shoving prescription drugs into people especially kids for the same reason. I've given my kids prescriptions for sure but often explore alternatives and research what goes into their body. Again personal choice and don't judge others that live in a pharmacy. 

Back to vaccines we talked to several doctors. Is that better or worse than a scientist I don't know?  Appreciate a real response though instead of the typical FBG Schtick  

I appreciate your response but honestly most of the responses were from known trolls. It is what it is here and that's not frustration. 

Im sure I'll get mocked for this too but I don't believe in what many do in shoving prescription drugs into people especially kids for the same reason. I've given my kids prescriptions for sure but often explore alternatives and research what goes into their body. Again personal choice and don't judge others that live in a pharmacy. 

Back to vaccines we talked to several doctors. Is that better or worse than a scientist I don't know?  Appreciate a real response though instead of the typical FBG Schtick  
I don't know if you missed the link I posted on the last page, but it's from the CDC, is only a couple pages and it gives a good synopsis of updated vaccine info. Mercury has largely been stripped from vaccines since the late 90s, and the few that haven't and still use Thimerosal for preservative means have found safer methods. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/patient-ed/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-thimerosal-color-office.pdf

The thread really should move back to Davos and the grizzlies, tho. Just wanted to post some newer information for you.

Terrible pick for DoE, but par for the course as there's so much crazy out there this will just fly under the radar.

Hey Betsy, separation of church and state is in the Constitution you Amway selling slimeball. No offense Amway people. There was one guy on here who was probably the least slimy of those people, but she and her family are at the top of the slime pit and you can send your kids to freaking Scientology if you want, but keep your filthy pyramid-scheming hands out of my state and have a nice day.

http://www.educationandbehavior.com/what-does-research-say-about-homeschooling/

What Does the Research Say About the Academic Performance of Homeschooled Students?
According to an empirical analysis published in 2010, by Widener Law Review, called Evidence for Homeschooling: Constitutional Analysis in Light of Social Science Research:

“Homeschooled children achieve levels of academic achievement similar to or higher than their publicly schooled peers. These results cut across racial and socio-economic lines. Numerous studies demonstrate that homeschooled students obtain exceptionally high scores on standardized academic achievement tests. For instance, one  nationwide study  analyzed data from 1,952 homeschooled students across the country and found that the students, on average, scored at the eightieth percentile or higher in every test category (i.e.,reading, listening, language, math, science, social studies, study skills, etc.). The national mean for these standardized tests, by contrast, was the 50th percentile.
Cool. I believe parental involvement is associated with higher performance. Obviously if home schooled, parental involvement is very high. I wonder if there has ever been any statistical work try and remove that variable.

Also I think education studies are tricky because there are so many variables and it's so complex. I don't put much weight into most unless they have been repeated in larger samples repeatedly... almost need a throrough meta-analysis to get strong conclusions.

Cool. I believe parental involvement is associated with higher performance. Obviously if home schooled, parental involvement is very high. I wonder if there has ever been any statistical work try and remove that variable.
The stuff I ran across indicated homeschoolers did a bit better verbally but very slightly worse in math when trying to equalize.  That seemed to be the current consensus. 

Husband's family (Devos) founded Amway

My understanding is that her family is also considered royalty in western Michigan
Confirmed.  I went to college with Betsy and knew her well.  Nice kid; friendly.  Not uniquely talented, that I recall.  Her parents were wealthy (car dealerships or some such thing in the Holland, MI area).  Like me, she was a product of the private schools of the conservative Christian Reformed Church (including Calvin College).

She married **** DeVos ...also a friend of mine.  We went to the same CR church as the DeVos and VanAndel families.  I personally knew the fathers who founded Amway (my mom dated Jay VanAndel for a bit in college).  I was in Sunday School classes with **** DeVos and Steve VanAndel (who now heads Amway).  Our HS graduation party was at their estates near Ada, MI.  These families (DeVos and VanAndel) are very good people ...active in the church; very generous with their money.  They've done a lot of good in western Michigan.

But yeah, money married money.  That made them power brokers in Michigan.  **** ran for governor several years ago.  And now we have Betsy's nomination despite her lack of any experience with public schools or true school leadership.  :shrug:

Confirmed.  I went to college with Betsy and knew her well.  Nice kid; friendly.  Not uniquely talented, that I recall.  Her parents were wealthy (car dealerships or some such thing in the Holland, MI area).  Like me, she was a product of the private schools of the conservative Christian Reformed Church (including Calvin College).

She married **** DeVos ...also a friend of mine.  We went to the same CR church as the DeVos and VanAndel families.  I personally knew the fathers who founded Amway (my mom dated Jay VanAndel for a bit in college).  I was in Sunday School classes with **** DeVos and Steve VanAndel (who now heads Amway).  Our HS graduation party was at their estates near Ada, MI.  These families (DeVos and VanAndel) are very good people ...active in the church; very generous with their money.  They've done a lot of good in western Michigan.

But yeah, money married money.  That made them power brokers in Michigan.  **** ran for governor several years ago.  And now we have Betsy's nomination despite her lack of any experience with public schools or true school leadership.  :shrug:
Terrific. I'm sure she's pleasant and western MI is a nice place. This is America. Not everyone is CR. Some people are Jewish. Some people are atheist. Some people are African American. Some people don't come from money. I'd prefer someone more in touch with everyone, a pillar of public education who understands the important separation between church and state. I'm not interested in Betsy's way, I'm sure it worked great for her. Frankly it's a disgusting pick and these aren't the people I want in my daughter's education in the slightest way. 

I had one experience with Calvin College and it was scary. We hired a new special ed teacher at my urban HS. She was fresh out of CC. She was with me helping some kids in an English class where they were discussing some Shakespeare. There were some sexual jokes and the teacher was explaining the jokes. Nothing lewd just pointing out the double meanings of things like swords and sheaths or whatever, it's an 11th grade class. She bursts out, red faced and tells everyone that the English teacher is a devil sent to tempt the kids a life of eternal hell and that if they read Shakespeare god will make sure they rot in hell. The teacher was great, a real old timer, said "better to rot in hell then listen to this woman another minute, get out of my class." She quit the next day so she could focus on starting a family.

Terrific. I'm sure she's pleasant and western MI is a nice place. This is America. Not everyone is CR. Some people are Jewish. Some people are atheist. Some people are African American. Some people don't come from money. I'd prefer someone more in touch with everyone, a pillar of public education who understands the important separation between church and state. I'm not interested in Betsy's way, I'm sure it worked great for her. Frankly it's a disgusting pick and these aren't the people I want in my daughter's education in the slightest way. 
If religious schools funded by the government happens, I can't wait to see the shock when all the government funded Islamic schools pop up. 

Sweet.

She's still a giant gorilla turd of a pick.  

Not in the schools they haven't.  Their idiotic charter system in Michigan has been a disaster.

Not in the schools they haven't.  Their idiotic charter system in Michigan has been a disaster.
I don't know much about that charter school issue in Michigan, but it does sound like it's been a failure.  The "good" I was mentioning was a very general reference (e.g., business development in Grand Rapids).

Her apparent lack of preparation at the hearings was puzzling and concerning.  I would have gone in with a better strategy than politely thanking each of them for their question and then claiming most everything is a state issue.

I have a hard time reconciling "very good people" with running the biggest pyramid scheme / cult in the history of the modern world. Amway has a pretty sordid legal history.

I favor competition. I work in a district that only survives because of "school of choice" in Michigan. However, many fail to see the downside of choice. Parents/students become customers and customers are always right, this encourages lax discipline and lax academic standards. If the kids are happy and grades are good, you get happy families and more customers. That's not a great model for education though.

I have a hard time reconciling "very good people" with running the biggest pyramid scheme / cult in the history of the modern world. Amway has a pretty sordid legal history.
Up until your second sentence, I thought you were talking about the public education system.

I know. It's worse than that in Indiana. And people wonder why we have shortages...
Michigan used to be the best, but my district (which I love) has been on a 7 year wage freeze so I'm stuck near the bottom. Some other teachers are making bank. I'm blessed to have a wealthy wife who is also a lady. Some of the teachers I work with though, man do they struggle. 

As you said Michigan teaching situation has done a 180 in the last 10 years. We used to produce a lot of teachers and schools had great options. Now we have few new teachers and jobs are getting filled by whatever applies. It sucks and is starting to have a real bad impact on my school.

Michigan used to be the best, but my district (which I love) has been on a 7 year wage freeze so I'm stuck near the bottom. Some other teachers are making bank. I'm blessed to have a wealthy wife who is also a lady. Some of the teachers I work with though, man do they struggle. 

As you said Michigan teaching situation has done a 180 in the last 10 years. We used to produce a lot of teachers and schools had great options. Now we have few new teachers and jobs are getting filled by whatever applies. It sucks and is starting to have a real bad impact on my school.
Yeah, my wife's salary has been frozen for years too, and her benefits have taken a beating too. Mitch Daniels and Mike Pence really did some damage here.

Yeah but you get summers off
And weekends and holidays. I work summer school to help get more money. I love my job and I'm lucky with my wife. I'm just saying teachers have a good living, but they aren't really sucking the people dry and loving high on the hog. The hits the profession has taken recently had drastically started to reduce the amount and quality of future teachers. We used to post a job and get 50 applicants. We are lucky to get 10 now.

Is this amount contradictory to your expectations of what you'd be making at this point?
Very. I've been frozen here for I think 7 years. I don't care really, I would do the job for free because it's what I like to do. But yeah when I signed onto this job, I had a much better pay schedule lined up.

The student loan bubble may be the biggest item that Betsy has to face.  

The DOE, just coincidentally 2 days before the end of this administration, just found a "glitch" (IMO, systematically falsified huge swaths of data) that shows the student loan repayment rate is pretty horrific, much worse than has been reported earlier.  This is a trainwreck of the highest order and placed a nice crap sandwich on Trump's desk.
Suddenly uncovering a massive error ongoing for four years a week before the new administration?  Yeah... they were lying.  Maybe Devos isn't such a bad option.  At least she hasn't falsified data yet.

And weekends and holidays. I work summer school to help get more money. I love my job and I'm lucky with my wife. I'm just saying teachers have a good living, but they aren't really sucking the people dry and loving high on the hog. The hits the profession has taken recently had drastically started to reduce the amount and quality of future teachers. We used to post a job and get 50 applicants. We are lucky to get 10 now.
It depends on where you live.  Teachers salaries in CA are $70K on average with great benefits, pension, and the obvious time off.  That's easily the equivalent of a six figure private job... for the average teacher.  I expect you would be higher.

It depends on where you live.  Teachers salaries in CA are $70K on average with great benefits, pension, and the obvious time off.  That's easily the equivalent of a six figure private job... for the average teacher.  I expect you would be higher.
Tough to compare Michigan and Cali. Cost of living is very far apart. 

Tough to compare Michigan and Cali. Cost of living is very far apart. 
Depends on where in CA you live.  That's going to be a pretty good career in 90%+ of the state. 

The school system in CA is pretty crappy though so the kids obviously don't get much out of it.

Very. I've been frozen here for I think 7 years. I don't care really, I would do the job for free because it's what I like to do. But yeah when I signed onto this job, I had a much better pay schedule lined up.
That hurts.  Not even getting cost of living adjustments is tough.  Not much different than the average private sector worker, but still.

That hurts.  Not even getting cost of living adjustments is tough.  Not much different than the average private sector worker, but still.
Which is why I get annoyed when my co-workers complain (especially those sitting near the top of the pay scale complain). Some just don't seem to get the money comes from our local families and they were getting killed in the recession. That said, the educated private sector workers I know are making a lot more than me. 

Users who are viewing this thread