What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bigger goober: Eli Manning or Michael Phelps? (2 Viewers)

question

• Eli Manning

Votes: 96 65.3%
  • Michael Phelps

Votes: 51 34.7%

• Total voters
Luck made a "goober" appearance on the NFL Network earlier. It's like Eli has been training this kid for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance we could amend the title to open this up to all potential goobers? Seems to me we should be celebrating people's gooberishness. No need to let two guys carry the torch forever. Perhaps even have an annual King Goober competition every December?

Look, man. When I started this, I was just asking a simple question. I didn't realize the world thirsted for everything goober.

Michael Phelps was once in the running to play Tarzan in the recently released movie “The Legend of Tarzan,” but the Olympic swimmer kissed goodbye his chance to trade his speedo for a loincloth before he even knew it, according to Vanity Fair writer Rich Cohen.

Phelps’ 2008 appearance on NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” was reportedly what blew it.

In a recent Vanity Fair profile on actress Margot Robbie, who plays Jane in the film, Cohen recounted film producer Jerry Weintraub's determination to get “Tarzan” back in theaters. Weintraub, who died during post-production of the film, thought he had found the new Tarzan in Phelps.

“It was all Jerry talked about,” wrote Cohen in the profile. He allegedly compared Phelps to Johnny Weissmuller, who played Tarzan in the films of the 1930s and '40s, and, like Phelps, was an Olympic gold medal swimmer.

“‘All the reporters are going to say, ‘Weintraub found the new Johnny Weissmuller!’” Cohen recalled Weintraub saying.

But “at that point, Jerry had never seen Phelps do anything but get in and out of a pool," Cohen wrote. That all changed when the Baltimore swimmer hosted an episode of "Saturday Night Live" in 2008.

Cohen, who was working on Weintraub's memoir at the time, sat next to him during breakfast to watch the recording, and after seeing his acting chops, Weintraub wasn’t too impressed.

“Two minutes in, Jerry turned to his assistant and shouted, ‘This isn’t Tarzan! This isn’t Johnny Weissmuller! He’s a goon! Why didn’t anyone tell me he’s a goon?’” Cohen recalled.

Users who are viewing this thread