What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bitcoin-Explain to me how to buy these things (1 Viewer)

Looking at my Coinbase history, I bought a little over 20 bitcoins last August to September when the price was between $577 and $716. I got out after a modest profit. Most normal people would be suicidal right now if they knew they'd be sitting on over $300,000 if they simply did nothing at all, but the truth is I would have bailed completely as soon as the initial investment doubled, so there's no use crying about it. Also, I would have lost the whole $300K betting on football anyway.
Me and iluvbeer99 were talking about trading a bitcoin around $2300 or so a while back.  It was very particular back and forth around that price point.  How could either of us in a million years figure it would x8 from there?  

So are BTC backers in here thinking of it as a Currency, or an investment vehicle? 

Couple of concerns I have with mass acceptance of BTC as currency: 

VOLATILITY: People like their currency to be stable. wide fluctuations of currency is a sign of instability. Sure it's nice when it goes up, but most folks don't have the stomach for thier retirement account (for those who plan financially) or their rent check (for those who live paycheck to paycheck) to be swinging even small amounts. From an investment perspective, the "Get Rich Quick" mentality is as American as apple pie, but we like our money stable. 

ADOPTION: One only needs to look as far as contactless payments to see that Americans are VERY slow to adopt new payment paradigms. Apple, Google, and other major consortiums have been pushing adoption of these wireless payment protocols for years now, but adoption rates by stores (in the form of putting in suitable hardware) and consumers (in utilization), is very low.  An argument could be made that "this pay by phone" infrastructure being built is laying the groundwork for Virtual currency.... but I think the road is long and rife with obstacles.

Hell look how slow the chip card adoption has been and that #### was effectively mandated by the government (via liability shift), and it's still been a disaster getting folks to adopt and the hardware in place. Does anyone think adoption of cryto-currencies will even have the advantage of that same push by the government to replace it's own currency? Hell. No. 

Will BTC (or other coin) hang around? For sure. Will the amount of businesses who accept this currency increase (barring major hacks or technical incidents that undermine confidence)? Of course. Is there any real chance for a virtual currency to even remotely come close to unseating the USD (or other fiat currency) as anything close to a primary money system for the general public? Not anytime soon...  

So, when I start seeing Market Cap of BTC (which is likely used in 0.00000001% of consumer goods/services transactions) approaching the amount of USD currency (the defacto Global currency) in circulation worldwide? Well.... I kinda have to laugh. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So are BTC backers in here thinking of it as a Currency, or an investment vehicle? 

Couple of concerns I have with mass acceptance of BTC as currency: 

VOLATILITY: People like their currency to be stable. wide fluctuations of currency is a sign of instability. Sure it's nice when it goes up, but most folks don't have the stomach for thier retirement account (for those who plan financially) or their rent check (for those who live paycheck to paycheck) to be swinging even small amounts. From an investment perspective, the "Get Rich Quick" mentality is as American as apple pie, but we like our money stable. 

ADOPTION: One only needs to look as far as contactless payments to see that Americans are VERY slow to adopt new payment paradigms. Apple, Google, and other major consortiums have been pushing adoption of these wireless payment protocols for years now, but adoption rates by stores (in the form of putting in suitable hardware) and consumers (in utilization), is very low.  An argument could be made that "this pay by phone" infrastructure being built is laying the groundwork for Virtual currency.... but I think the road is long and rife with obstacles. 

Will BTC (or other coin) hang around? For sure. Will the amount of businesses who accept this currency increase (barring major hacks or technical incidents that undermine confidence)? Of course. Is there any real chance for a virtual currency to even remotely come close to unseating the USD (or other fiat currency) as anything close to a primary money system for the general public? Not anytime soon... 
I think you overlooked one issue, for a vendor, someone like Steam, for example.  They get a BTC payment, currently the FTX fees are up to $12 a TX.  TWELVE ####### DOLLARS. 

So they need to batch hold BTC to wait for a more reasonable fee which is more in line with the standard industry.  While waiting to get enough BTC to cross the threshold to even get to a twice what a MasterCard would charge the BTC price could swing.  So now you have to line item currency fluctuation on your accounting,  alot.  

I mean Visa/MC just seem way easier than that.  In any context.  

I think you overlooked one issue, for a vendor, someone like Steam, for example.  They get a BTC payment, currently the FTX fees are up to $12 a TX.  TWELVE ####### DOLLARS. 

So they need to batch hold BTC to wait for a more reasonable fee which is more in line with the standard industry.  While waiting to get enough BTC to cross the threshold to even get to a twice what a MasterCard would charge the BTC price could swing.  So now you have to line item currency fluctuation on your accounting,  alot.  

I mean Visa/MC just seem way easier than that.  In any context.  
Very good point. 

Very good point. 
Here is a sample article discussing these points:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/6/16743220/valve-steam-bitcoin-game-store-payment-method-crypto-volatility

Steam CEO Comments:

In the past few months we've seen an increase in the volatility in the value of Bitcoin and a significant increase in the fees to process transactions on the Bitcoin network. For example, transaction fees that are charged to the customer by the Bitcoin network have skyrocketed this year, topping out at close to $20 a transaction last week (compared to roughly $0.20 when we initially enabled Bitcoin). Unfortunately, Valve has no control over the amount of the fee. These fees result in unreasonably high costs for purchasing games when paying with Bitcoin. The high transaction fees cause even greater problems when the value of Bitcoin itself drops dramatically.

Historically, the value of Bitcoin has been volatile, but the degree of volatility has become extreme in the last few months, losing as much as 25% in value over a period of days. This creates a problem for customers trying to purchase games with Bitcoin. When checking out on Steam, a customer will transfer x amount of Bitcoin for the cost of the game, plus y amount of Bitcoin to cover the transaction fee charged by the Bitcoin network. The value of Bitcoin is only guaranteed for a certain period of time so if the transaction doesn’t complete within that window of time, then the amount of Bitcoin needed to cover the transaction can change. The amount it can change has been increasing recently to a point where it can be significantly different.

I just don't understand how a currency that is slow, unreliable and costly to use is supposed to be worth this much money.  Money of the future at ~3tx/second?

I just don't understand how a currency that is slow, unreliable and costly to use is supposed to be worth this much money.  Money of the future at ~3tx/second?
I think three things are in play here

• Real runup started in the Feb-Apr 2016 timeframe.  Right as the first paradise papers dropped and people started dropping dead.  BTC seemed an attractive dumping point for cash for those that didn't want to show up in the papers or wanted out of aruba.  
  • Then, it started to become obvious that mining costs were trending on unsustainable.  People could power whole towns for what it costs to get a BTC.  Hype train started.
  • Then on top of that, people figured out that maybe up to half of the coins in existence were lost, probably forever.
So a combination of more coins off market, plus demand to buy coins with no intention to sell started a ramp, then FOMO hit.  And here we are.

Is this something that can be worked out eventually? In such a speculative instrument, much of the price will be based on future expectations. 

Raider Nation said:
Looking at my Coinbase history, I bought a little over 20 bitcoins last August to September when the price was between $577 and $716. I got out after a modest profit. Most normal people would be suicidal right now if they knew they'd be sitting on over $300,000 if they simply did nothing at all, but the truth is I would have bailed completely as soon as the initial investment doubled, so there's no use crying about it. Also, I would have lost the whole $300K betting on football anyway.
:goodposting:

Wall Street is running it up right now, when leveraged with futures, they'll dump their coins, crash it, and bank. Bitcoin investors are playing games with the people who eat their breakfasts. Furthermore, they're kinda incentivized to kill it. Interesting theory.
Thought a little more about this, too obvious, need to be a slight contrarian - slightly revised thesis.

Bitcoin is currently an unregulated anonymous marketplace with a ton of retail money floating around, when they crash it (which is most likely the end goal, being that it is viewed as a threat) they know confidence will be gone and this amazing playground that has been created for them will be gone too, they'd like to keep it alive for a little longer.

We're viewed as dumb money across all asset classes, no difference here - all of us, no insult to anyone, myself included. We're swimming around, surfing in the waves, having fun, the sharks just entered the water - they attack and feast right away, everyone runs out of the water... I don't think that's how they're going to play it. 

They can move it up and down and keep it in a range over and over, all while making 5x on one side and losing 1x on the other - picking swimmer after swimmer off without an overt attack on everyone making people run for the shores. The funds involved don't want to move it too aggressively in either direction bc that will cause other smart money into the mix coming for theirs. Rinse/repeat over and over - once the regulators come in, they'll leave, it'll crash.

For now, they view this as the easiest money they'll ever make, and I bet they're right. 

Is this something that can be worked out eventually? In such a speculative instrument, much of the price will be based on future expectations. 
Blockstream's solution is to introduce a second layer on top of the bitcoin protocol, called Lightning Network.  I'm not real clear on how it works exactly, but basically users open 'payment channels' with each other and can send/receive instantly.  I'm not sure how it works around fees and stuff on the actual blockchain, or how it records txes on the ledger.  

My friend who sold me my first ever btc (.08 for like $250 around 2013) thru localbitcoins seems to be a big fan of the tech and has been using it on testnet.  I've watched videos meant to explain how it works and I'm still completely clueless about it.

Bitcoin is not anonymous. It is a public ledger that can be easily traced through public addresses. Coins like DASH and Monero are anonymous.

I think three things are in play here

• Real runup started in the Feb-Apr 2016 timeframe.  Right as the first paradise papers dropped and people started dropping dead.  BTC seemed an attractive dumping point for cash for those that didn't want to show up in the papers or wanted out of aruba.  
  • Then, it started to become obvious that mining costs were trending on unsustainable.  People could power whole towns for what it costs to get a BTC.  Hype train started.
  • Then on top of that, people figured out that maybe up to half of the coins in existence were lost, probably forever.
So a combination of more coins off market, plus demand to buy coins with no intention to sell started a ramp, then FOMO hit.  And here we are.
I believe the feds can trace bitcoin transactions and have been able to for years.  So I'm not sure which states they think they're fooling with that.  Did you mean 2017?  

I don't think the environmental cost really coincides with the price rise.  Or I don't see why it should give bitcoin value anyway.  

It's hard to say how many coins have been lost.  To me, the only money entering at this price point is dumb money and the investment class with some type of insider knowledge.  But I thought that around 6/7k too.  The volatility and dysfunction of bitcoin during peak traffic just seems like a 'fire with the exits closed' scenario waiting to happen.  

If I sell BTC on an exchange that uses tether (USDT), how do I get real USD from that transaction?

I believe the feds can trace bitcoin transactions and have been able to for years.  So I'm not sure which states they think they're fooling with that.  Did you mean 2017?  

I don't think the environmental cost really coincides with the price rise.  Or I don't see why it should give bitcoin value anyway.  

It's hard to say how many coins have been lost.  To me, the only money entering at this price point is dumb money and the investment class with some type of insider knowledge.  But I thought that around 6/7k too.  The volatility and dysfunction of bitcoin during peak traffic just seems like a 'fire with the exits closed' scenario waiting to happen.  
No, I mean the 2016 timeframe.  The breakout IMO really started in early 2016 but was slow.  tbh, I don't know what motivation people have and think they can get away with, but the timing there is pretty unusual.  You need a lot of new players coming in and holding BTC for a reason.  I'm struggling to find one.  

Yeah just wait until wall street gets some shorts on this thing.  

For the same reason that tulip bulbs were. It happens. 
You're selling the real reason crypto and blockchain came to existence short here.  In the original genesis block, Satoshi wrote:

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks.

Bitcoin was designed as a means to free people from the failure of central banking and international monetary systems.  The problem for bitcoin is it's ceased to do those things in a practical or useful way.  The whole thing is running on the illusion that bitcoin still has a meaningful usecase.  

You're selling the real reason crypto and blockchain came to existence short here.  In the original genesis block, Satoshi wrote:

Bitcoin was designed as a means to free people from the failure of central banking and international monetary systems.  The problem for bitcoin is it's ceased to do those things in a practical or useful way.  The whole thing is running on the illusion that bitcoin still has a meaningful usecase.  
Is there a list of places that are still taking bitcoin? A lot of precious metal vendors accept bitcoin currently at a par with cash.
I'm not sure you can say that about any other *coin.

Is there a list of places that are still taking bitcoin? A lot of precious metal vendors accept bitcoin currently at a par with cash.
I'm not sure you can say that about any other *coin.
There's quite a few.  Steam used to, but withdrew it as a method of payment the other day.

https://99bitcoins.com/who-accepts-bitcoins-payment-companies-stores-take-bitcoins/

There's also a growing market for other coins as payment.  I think Overstock accepts several.  

https://acceptbitcoin.cash 

https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/10-companies-and-businesses-that-accept-ethereum-599996/

IMO, the majority of people don't care about any of that.  They're in it to make $.  They don't think in BTC or any crypto--they think in $ or euros or yen.  

Yes. And tulip bulbs ran on the illusion that tulip bulbs still had a meaningful usecase.

Despite the many claims in here that I don't understand bitcoin, that's not true. Years ago I was labeled as a  :tinfoilhat: I posted so much about how the Federal Reserve system will end. I fully expected something like Bitcoin to replace it. So when bitcoin came out I gave it serious consideration... for years. It's a fantastic idea, but it's far too consumer friendly. Governments have major issues with it. Businesses have major issues with it. And while the business issues could be worked out, there is one major government issue that will never be worked out, and that is the need to increase the amount of the currency in circulation. Some bitcoin enthusiasts think that's a huge asset for bitcoin, but it's actually an attribute that will be death of it, especially given bitcoins can be lost and never replaced. 

My prediction is governments around the world will create a world reserve currency to replace the US dollar. It will likely be similar to bitcoin, but address the issues governments and businesses have with bitcoin. A lot of bitcoin enthusiasts won't like that at all, but that's because they like the anarchy of Bitcoin. Governments and businesses don't, for obvious reasons. When the world governments implement it, it will be the death of bitcoin, and it also won't be good for the US at all. Because now that the world no longer uses the dollar as the world's reserve currency, Americans will now have to start producing as much as we consume. Ever since all world currencies were pegged to the dollar back in 1944 at the Bretton Woods agreement, the US has to buy more from the world than it sells to the world so that the world gets the increase of dollars it needs as the world economy grows. A world version of Bitcoin that can be inflated ends that, and puts all countries on an equal playing field money wise.    

https://www.theonion.com/bitcoin-plunge-reveals-possible-vulnerabilities-in-craz-1821134169/amp?__twitter_impression=true

:lmao:  

"This should serve as a clear indicator of how susceptible weird invisible money that only exists online can be to sudden fluctuations in the market,” said economist Bernard Gregerson, explaining that the 18 percent decline in bitcoin’s value might be a predictor of more drastic fluctuations to come in the price of bizarre make-believe cryptocurrency that has no reality in the physical realm."

Yes. And tulip bulbs ran on the illusion that tulip bulbs still had a meaningful usecase.

Despite the many claims in here that I don't understand bitcoin, that's not true. Years ago I was labeled as a  :tinfoilhat: I posted so much about how the Federal Reserve system will end. I fully expected something like Bitcoin to replace it. So when bitcoin came out I gave it serious consideration... for years. It's a fantastic idea, but it's far too consumer friendly. Governments have major issues with it. Businesses have major issues with it. And while the business issues could be worked out, there is one major government issue that will never be worked out, and that is the need to increase the amount of the currency in circulation. Some bitcoin enthusiasts think that's a huge asset for bitcoin, but it's actually an attribute that will be death of it, especially given bitcoins can be lost and never replaced. 

My prediction is governments around the world will create a world reserve currency to replace the US dollar. It will likely be similar to bitcoin, but address the issues governments and businesses have with bitcoin. A lot of bitcoin enthusiasts won't like that at all, but that's because they like the anarchy of Bitcoin. Governments and businesses don't, for obvious reasons. When the world governments implement it, it will be the death of bitcoin, and it also won't be good for the US at all. Because now that the world no longer uses the dollar as the world's reserve currency, Americans will now have to start producing as much as we consume. Ever since all world currencies were pegged to the dollar back in 1944 at the Bretton Woods agreement, the US has to buy more from the world than it sells to the world so that the world gets the increase of dollars it needs as the world economy grows. A world version of Bitcoin that can be inflated ends that, and puts all countries on an equal playing field money wise.    
Right.  Tulips do nothing like that.  All it would take is an update to the client to allow bitcoin to be divisible a few more decimal points beyond a hundredth of a million.  And if inflation proves to be necessary over a deflationary coin, capital would just move from btc to ether or something.  

Not that it really matters.  Clearly the bitcoin devs have no interest in scaling it up for mass adoption, in fact they've essentially priced the poor out from ever participating.  But that doesn't mean a better blockchain currency couldn't replace the financial system down the road.  

Right.  Tulips do nothing like that.  All it would take is an update to the client to allow bitcoin to be divisible a few more decimal points beyond a hundredth of a million.  And if inflation proves to be necessary over a deflationary coin, capital would just move from btc to ether or something.  

Not that it really matters.  Clearly the bitcoin devs have no interest in scaling it up for mass adoption, in fact they've essentially priced the poor out from ever participating.  But that doesn't mean a better blockchain currency couldn't replace the financial system down the road.  
I completely agree a better currency could replace modern money mechanics down the road. In fact I think it's inevitable. One of the major purposes of inflating (and deflating) a currency is to regulate the velocity of money, which is needed for the stability of any currency, for exactly the reason you point out. Without it, people move in and out of the currency so fast that it causes volatility. And volatility kills trust in the currency. 

The euro was a test case for this and by most accounts a failure.  Getting world powers to agree on anything, even something as important as currency, will never happen.

The euro was a test case for this and by most accounts a failure.  Getting world powers to agree on anything, even something as important as currency, will never happen.
Yep. Which is why I think most countries will stick with having there own currencies for national trade.

The new currency will replace the dollar for international trade. 

Litecoin having a day!
80% move in one day on no news.  completely normal.

Anyone who thinks they know what's going on with crypto (bear or bull) is clueless.  

Let's all be honest, none of us really understand this stuff.  If someone thinks they understand it they might be delusional.

Anyone who thinks they know what's going on with crypto (bear or bull) is clueless.  

Let's all be honest, none of us really understand this stuff.  If someone thinks they understand it they might be delusional.
This is pretty much it.  I have 400% profit right now.  I can pull out my basis and just enjoy the ride but I am a gambler so this uncertainty in this doesn't bother me.  I am not trying to make a little score but a huge one.  If a bubble busts then it busts, it doesn't really concern me at this point as I am not risk averse and let's be real, you are not going to make a huge score without risk.  So people yelling like chicken little is a positive to me.

Litecoin's creator is going on squawk box Monday. I tried to buy some Thursday night but couldn't get 2fa verified in time at the exchange I wanted to use. Sucks to suck

Ponzi schemes are incredibly profitable for those that get out before it collapses. In fact, the person who sells it last is the biggest winner (assuming they held on for a while). But the buyer they sold it to is also screwed the most. I think most people on this board realize what this is, and will not get stuck holding the bag. But a lot of the people that buy from the people on this board when they sell are going to get screwed. If you're a person who is perfectly fine with screwing over the person you sell to, then enjoy the ride. But let's be honest about this. It was never intended to be a ponzi scheme, but that's what it morphed into. Its intentions were moral, but now it's morphed into the immoral. 

Same people selling bitcoin gains putting it into another coin and that coin jumps. Smart move if you want to try and hide capital gains from the IRS.

There are some big cracks in this whole thing, they are visible but the sell off hasn't really come yet.  Still seems like a good short term play as there are definitely new speculators entering the market on a daily basis now.  You have to be able to sell though and not be left holding the bag.  I'd be concerned with all of the following just to start.

• vendors not accepting bitcoin because price is so volatile
  • few vendors even accepting bitcoin at all
  • transactions taking long time to process and get approved
  • exchanges not being able to handle the traffic on high sell volume and going offline, assuming this is even really a tech problem
  • expensive and not energy efficient to mine, will there always be an incentive here
  • influx of all these new coins 
  • high potential for fraud
  • no regulations

Users who are viewing this thread