What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black Mirror (1 Viewer)

Just watched the first three episodes. The Entire History of You reminded me a bit of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That episode in particular felt so realistic and genuine, like I could definitely see things playing out in real life exactly like that.

Thought it was an interesting detail when they were having mundane married person sex that they were both redoing a more torrid session from earlier in their relationship.
Actually, all three of the first three episodes felt incredibly realistic, even if the premise was a bit out there.

Just watched the first three episodes. The Entire History of You reminded me a bit of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That episode in particular felt so realistic and genuine, like I could definitely see things playing out in real life exactly like that.

Thought it was an interesting detail when they were having mundane married person sex that they were both redoing a more torrid session from earlier in their relationship.
Actually, all three of the first three episodes felt incredibly realistic, even if the premise was a bit out there.
Agreed, and that's what makes the series so good.

Every time this thread gets bumped I hope to hear of another season in the works.

Every time this thread gets bumped I hope to hear of another season in the works.
You may be in luck.

You may be in luck.
Awesome. Could be fantastic as a Netflix produced show.

If you don't have Netflix, you can watch it here:

http://www.thedaretube.com/tv/black-mirror

If you are asked to download it, you do not need to do so. I use Chrome with Adblock and never get asked (on a PC). Just open one of the links (I tend to use Vidbull, Vodlocker or Vidspot. The others do work in a pinch if none of these three work.

I just got around to watching the Waldo episode and while it takes a piss on politics as entertainment, in general, holy crap, Waldo is very Trump-like

in fact, if the episode had come out now, I'd say it was too on the nose...

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh.  Watched the first episode.  Shagging a pig?  I feel like I missed the whole twilight zone part, what exactly was the connection between the abducting artist and his wife hating him for doing the deed?  I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it gets any better.  

most of the episodes are better than that one
:thumbup:  Sticking around for a few more.

Wow, just finished White Bear (S02E02). Without a doubt the best episode of any anthology series I've ever seen, bar none. Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, you name it. The best

Rankings so far:

1. White Bear

2. The Entire History of You (S01E03)

3. Fifteen Million Merits (S01E02) (Lady Sybil :wub: )

4. The National Anthem (S01E01)

5. Be Right Back (S02E01)

Dan Lambskin said:
most of the episodes are better than that one

tonydead said:
:thumbup:  Sticking around for a few more.
Episode 2 was very good.  Not only did it have a fantastic twilight zone moment, most of the things I didn't like about the episode while watching it actually ended up reinforcing it at the end.  Thanks for encouraging me to keep torrenting this thing..........................j/k I subscribe to Netflix.

Black Mirror creator breaks silence on season 3 episodes
Exclusive: Charlie Brooker previews new episodes tackling social media, online rage, more (spoiler free)

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/09/black-mirror-netflix

Either you’re already obsessed with Black Mirror or you probably haven’t seen it yet. The technology thriller has managed to virally spread into an international cult hit despite producing only seven episodes in three years and having TV’s most notoriously unworkable format: each episode is a self contained story with an entirely different cast. The show’s only continuity is its mission to explore technology’s impact on humanity – it’s like The Twilight Zone on Tinder. Netflix outbid rivals to produce the upcoming third season after the show’s first two UK-produced seasons surged in popularity on its service (check out season 2’s “The Entire History of You” for a flawless introduction). The streaming service hiked the show’s budget a bit, and ordered 12 new stories. So what’s new this time? Not too much, assures showrunner Charlie Brooker. “There’s probably a slightly wider scope, and it’s probably more idiosyncratic than before,” he says. “You can’t pick which [episode] best represents the season — they’re all outliers.” 

Here Brooker gives EW the exclusive rundown of each episode (spoiler free).

“Nosedive” We love this premise: An insecure office worker (Bryce Dallas Howard) lives in a world in which everyone obsessively ranks and rates every tiny social interaction. She thinks she finally may have found a way to rank alongside her friend (Alice Eve), who’s one of society’s elites. At first glance, this sounds like a classic Black Mirror setup — an existing tech element taken to a horrifying new extreme. But Brooker says it’s one of the most unusual episodes he’s done. “Each episode this season is a different genre; this one is a social satire,” Brooker says. “It’s got a creepy serenity to it and won’t be what people expect.” 

“San Junipero” How could you make Black Mirror episode set in the past when the show is all about the future? That was the mental puzzle that prompted Booker to write this 1980s-set tale, where Mackenzie Davis and Gugu Mbatha-Raw play recent arrivals to a beach town “synonymous with sun, surf, and sex.” “It’s kind of an ‘80s coming-of-age drama with a Black Mirror undertow,” he says. “Also, when Netflix picked us up, people were going, ‘Oh that means [the show is] going to be Americanized.’ I thought it would be a funny to f–k with those people by literally writing an episode set in California.” 

“Shut Up and Dance” There have been a couple previous tales set in present day without any sci-fi elements (like the notorious pig sex episode “The National Anthem”). This is one of those, but Brooker adds it’s the “most grounded” of the three. Here a withdrawn 19-year-old (Alex Lawther) stumbles headlong into an online trap and is quickly forced into an uneasy alliance with shifty man (Jerome Flynn) who are both at the mercy of persons unknown. “A kitchen sink nightmarish thriller,” he says. 

“Men Against Fire” A military story set in a post-war future. A rookie soldier (Malachi Kirby) is posted overseas, protecting frightened villagers from an infestation of vicious feral mutants alongside fellow soldier Raiman (Madeline Brewer). They’re hoping some new technological advantage will save them. “It stemmed slightly from thinking about drone attacks and how technology is alternating the face of warfare, but it’s not about drones,” Brooker says. “It’s a horror thriller, almost like The Walking Dead.” 

“Playtest” (exclusive photo above) Brooker was formerly a video game journalist and here he revisits that world: A thrill-seeking globetrotter (Wyatt Russell) visits Britain, hooks up with a woman (Hannah John-Kamen) and tests the latest in video game technology – “a device as mind-bendingly sophisticated as it is terrifying.” Directed by Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane), Brooker notes, “Dan is fantastic at creating suspenseful and tense mood; this is our Evil Dead 2.” 

“Hated in the Nation” The show’s first-ever 90-minute episode; a crime drama inspired by Scandi-Noir thrillers like The Killing and Borgen. A police detective (Kelly McDonald) and her geeky young sidekick investigate a string of grisly murders with a sinister link to social media. “It deals with online rage,” teases Brooker. “It starts out like a stylish standard police procedural, then takes a bizarre turn.” Well, that we expected.

Black Mirror season 3 debuts Oct. 21 on Netflix. 

Season 3 drops on Netflix tomorrow:

Netflix has announced premiere dates for its originals through the start of 2017. To save all the “Black Mirror” fans a search, the streaming service will drop the six-episode third season of Charlie Brooker’s dystopian anthology series in the wee hours of Oct. 21.

Wow, just finished White Bear (S02E02). Without a doubt the best episode of any anthology series I've ever seen, bar none. Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, you name it. The best

Rankings so far:

1. White Bear

2. The Entire History of You (S01E03)

3. Fifteen Million Merits (S01E02) (Lady Sybil :wub: )

4. The National Anthem (S01E01)

5. Be Right Back (S02E01)
Thanks.

I was just about to start watching this.

Good season overall.

2, "Playtest", really got me. Super mind-####. Yeah, it's one that other things have done before, but here it really worked and was a real punch.

3, "Shut up and dance" was creeptastic.

6, "Hated in the Nation", the bees episode, was really well done.

Others were OK. Not my favorites, but not bad.
I haven't seen 3.6 yet but the 4th, San Junipero is one of the best ever. Only White Bear surpasses it. 

Just watched the first 4 episodes of season 3.  Man i really hope they keep coming out with more and more of these every year (assuming the same effort is put into them). 

Excellent work.  I liked all 4 episodes, with "Shut up and dance" and "San Junipero" pretty easily being the best so far. 

I don't know which one was the bigger mind####, white bear or shut up and dance. 

I just started White Christmas. 

S1 Ep1 was horrible, and almost turned me off of watching the rest.

I'm glad I kept watching...some of the other episodes are amazing. Loved White Christmas, San Junipero, 15 Million Merits

Does anyone else think that they could condense these episodes to 30-45 minutes? I watched a few episodes and the pace a bit too slow for me. Some of the twists are cool but I wish the storytelling was more concise. 

The Waldo Moment is easily the worst of the series.
if anyone watches Black Mirror and knows the episode he's referencing, and also knows cstu's political lean, this post is pretty amazing.

edit: also taking into account when it was posted.

I decided to check this out over the Thanksgiving holiday.  holy crap, what an incredible show.  I didn't realize there were three seasons, and I accidentally started on season 3.  glad I did, because the first episode of the series may not have drawn me in.  my official top 5 has to go something like:

Shut up and Dance

White Bear

Nosedive

Men Against Fire

The Waldo Moment

there really is something in every episode that makes me fall out of my seat.  great stuff.

EYLive said:
Does anyone else think that they could condense these episodes to 30-45 minutes? I watched a few episodes and the pace a bit too slow for me. Some of the twists are cool but I wish the storytelling was more concise. 
Absolutely not.  Not even a little bit, no. 

Playtest, man. That one hurt. Had to turn off the TV and chill for a while afterwards.

That's the thing with these.  You really shouldn't "binge" watch them.  You at most should take one a day, maybe one every few days to reflect and think about them.  I watched Playtest and Shut up and Dance back to back and I didn't sleep well...  I'm taking my time with the rest of them.

Lot of love for White Bear.  I remember liking it, but may have to give it another watch.  I haven't watched any of the episodes twice. 

I decided to check this out over the Thanksgiving holiday.  holy crap, what an incredible show.  I didn't realize there were three seasons, and I accidentally started on season 3.  glad I did, because the first episode of the series may not have drawn me in.  my official top 5 has to go something like:

Shut up and Dance

White Bear

Nosedive

Men Against Fire

The Waldo Moment
Waldo shouldn't be in the top 5 if there were only 4 episodes.  Brutally bad.

Binge watched Season 3 over the weekend (which is a horrible idea, you really should let each episode breath a bit before going to the next).

"San Junipero" jumped up over "White Christmas" as my favorite episode of the series. Great story, amazing soundtrack, and easily the most re-watchable episode in my opinion. Being a kid of the 80s and my first serious girlfriend looking and dressing exactly like Yorkie just adds to the episode for me.

And I'll probably be in the minority, but I really enjoyed "Nosedive" only because it feels like a future that is almost here. I thought the same thing about "15 Million Merits", but "Nosedive" is even closer. "Playtest" hits brutally close to home, and I needed a shower after "Shut Up and Dance". But both were really good.  

My ranking

White Christmas

San Junipero

White Bear

Entire History of You

Playtest

Nosedive

15M Credits

Best series on television.

The robot bee one is actually very close to reality too.  There is a dude at Harvard is that is playing with robot bees.

Enjoyed episode 1.  Then I turned on episode 2 at work over lunch. :shock: good thing my volume was low. Will have to watch at home. 

The series title is pitch perfect, presciently reflecting our times back to us darkly with near future sci fi/horror, extrapolating what is worst about our post-modern era and rampant technology run amok.

I'm about halfway through season three (first two BBC, third Netflix Original?).

White Bear and White Christmas are great, like others I also liked San Junipero a lot (I guessed what was going on before the reveal, but it was well done).

POSSIBLE SPOILER IF YOU HAVE READ IT 

The latter has eerie echoes of imo Philip K. ****'s greatest novel, Ubik. 

Users who are viewing this thread