What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blackmon unlikely to run (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
From a FF viewpoint this really sucks. There was already questions surrounding his speed and now this. I know he thinks he can't raise his value, but I disagree. Not running only hurts his value since there were questions regarding his speed and everyone does well during their Pro day for whatever reason (wink). I can see teams shying away from making him a top 5 pick if he doesn't run.

Justin BlackmonOklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon is projected to be the first wideout taken this year, but word broke today that he is unlikely to run with the rest of the receivers on Sunday. Blackmon apparently wants to wait until his March 9 pro day to run for scouts.This is pretty disappointing when you consider that Blackmon looked to be a sure-thing as the top receiver in the draft. The fact that he's not running has opened the door for other guys to show up and be the most impressive receiver this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to hide how slow he is. Knows pro day 40s are inflated by a tenth or two.
I agree. I am surprised that so many have this guy as being a stud. I think Dez Bryant was a much better prospect coming out and Blackmon's upside is lower than Bryant'. It doesn't mean he cannot be productive, but he is not a game changer in the NFL IMO.

From a FF viewpoint this really sucks. There was already questions surrounding his speed and now this. I know he thinks he can't raise his value, but I disagree. Not running only hurts his value since there were questions regarding his speed and everyone does well during their Pro day for whatever reason (wink). I can see teams shying away from making him a top 5 pick if he doesn't run.

Justin BlackmonOklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon is projected to be the first wideout taken this year, but word broke today that he is unlikely to run with the rest of the receivers on Sunday. Blackmon apparently wants to wait until his March 9 pro day to run for scouts.This is pretty disappointing when you consider that Blackmon looked to be a sure-thing as the top receiver in the draft. The fact that he's not running has opened the door for other guys to show up and be the most impressive receiver this week.
I think NFL teams put about 1/10 as much importance on combine 40 times as fans do.I think that is true generally speaking, but especially for a player like Blackmon where the game tape has him in a distinctly different tier from any other WR in his draft class.

I think NFL teams put about 1/10 as much importance on combine 40 times as fans do.I think that is true generally speaking, but especially for a player like Blackmon where the game tape has him in a distinctly different tier from any other WR in his draft class.
I have the 1.2 pick in one dynasty draft and there is no way in hell I'm drafting this guy at 1.2.

Trying to hide how slow he is. Knows pro day 40s are inflated by a tenth or two.
I agree. I am surprised that so many have this guy as being a stud. I think Dez Bryant was a much better prospect coming out and Blackmon's upside is lower than Bryant'. It doesn't mean he cannot be productive, but he is not a game changer in the NFL IMO.
completely disagree. i think blackmon is the much better prospect. their physical tools are similar, but blackmon far and away has his head on the right way.

I have the 1.2 pick in one dynasty draft and there is no way in hell I'm drafting this guy at 1.2.
With the QBs available I probably wouldn't take him that high either.

completely disagree. i think blackmon is the much better prospect. their physical tools are similar, but blackmon far and away has his head on the right way.
Head on the right way? Didn't he get a DUI in 2010? Blackmon = Crabtree on the field.

You just traded Ingram for the 1.5...Would you take Blackmon over Ingram?

You just traded Ingram for the 1.5...Would you take Blackmon over Ingram?
That was EBF, not me. I wouldn't have traded Ingram for the 1.5. That's giving up on Ingram a little early.

I think you might be a bit biased, Colts fan.
any chance he slides to 8?
There's always a chance, but how does Jacksonville not take him given the opportunity?

I'm never a homer when it comes to fantasy football. I wouldn't win if that were the case. If I take Luck at 1.2 it's because I feel he's the best value for the pick and maybe a need for my team, not because I'm a Colts fan. If it happens to turn out that way then so be it.

I'm never a homer when it comes to fantasy football. I wouldn't win if that were the case. If I take Luck at 1.2 it's because I feel he's the best value for the pick and maybe a need for my team, not because I'm a Colts fan. If it happens to turn out that way then so be it.
Fair enough. Saying there's "no way in Hell" you draft him at 1.2 makes it seem like Blackmon has glaring warts that make him unworthy of the pick. He doesn't, really. I guess it's also easier to take that stance when the best QB prospect coming out in years also happens to be going to your home team. Just an observation, no offense.

Hell, he don't need to run!
I think he does. His ability to seperate has come into question. I'm sure there are teams that want to see him run. Like someone said earlier, the Pro Day tends to turn out faster times than the combine. Why is that?

Head on the right way? Didn't he get a DUI in 2010? Blackmon = Crabtree on the field.
DUIs are like Tatoo's everybody has 1

I think he does. His ability to seperate has come into question. I'm sure there are teams that want to see him run. Like someone said earlier, the Pro Day tends to turn out faster times than the combine. Why is that?
I think it's the Agents telling these guys not to run, not the players. Few weeks ago reports were coming out how he wanted to do everything at the combine and now he is not. Couple days ago there were reports that Trent was already running in the low 4.4's in Arizona and now it comes out he had a "procedure". These guys are just doing what they feel is in their best interest, just like the QBs not throwing. As much as I want them to participate in the combine, the fact they don't has no bearing on wether or not I will draft them or not. If a team values them at a high pick, that is enough assurance to me. Hopefully they go to a situation that helps them excell(good QB, good OL, commitment to run or pass). I think great talent meeting a great situation is what makes these guys "elite". Sometimes you get one without the other and it makes things a little muggy.

DUIs are like Tatoo's everybody has 1
Maybe if you're from detoilet

I found this article interesting.http://nflmocks.com/2012/02/20/is-justin-blackmon-overrated/

Is Justin Blackmon Overrated?Feb 20th at 10:45 am by Bo Is Justin Blackmon Overrated? Justin Blackmon is widely considered the best wide receiver in this class. He possesses great strength and catching ability. Statistically, Blackmon is off the charts and has been the best receiver in college football the last two years. However, these stats can be skewed; just because Blackmon is the best in college doesnt mean hes going to be the best choice in the NFL draft. See there is a such a different level of talent in college that its really hard to get a 100% accurate reading on how a player is going to translate into the NFL.Ive compiled a list of first round receivers in the last 6 years and this is what Ive come up with:2011-AJ Green (4th overall), Julio Jones (6th overall)2010-Demariyus Thomas (22nd overall), Dez Bryant (24th overall)2009-Darrius Heyward-Bey(7th overall), Michael Crabtree (10th overall)2008-None taken in first round2007-Calvin Johnson (2nd overall), Ted Ginn Jr.(9th overall)2006-Santonio Holmes (25th overall)Now, these players were considered some of the best coming out of college and if I were to break them down into to tiers of production it would look like this:Elite:Calvin Johnson Elite Potential:Dez BryantAJ GreenDemariyus Thomas Great Potential:Julio Jones Solid:Santonio Holmes Man, hed be good if he could figure it out:Michael Crabtree What happened?Darrius Heyward-BeyTed Ginn JrLooking at that list isnt discouraging but still, it all has to do with situation. Do you think Calvin Johnson would have been as dominant if the Raiders chose him instead of JaMarcus Russell? Who knows for sure. The thing is that you can never be sure what a receiver is going to do in the next level and its often dictated by what team chooses you.Back to Blackmon, Blackmon is comparable to some of the elite potential receivers on that board. Blackmon, however, is not those receivers; he lacks one key attribute, speed. The receiver Blackmon is most compared to WR Dez Bryant of the Dallas Cowboys. I see a likeness between them when it comes to physical ability but in all the tape I watch Blackmon is not able to burst off the line and get separation from defensive backs.Blackmon has made a career out of punishing smaller, lower caliber cornerbacks in the Pac-12 and that may have inflated his stock some. There is no doubt that Blackmon is going to be an NFL receiver who is productive. My concern comes when teams draft him with the purpose of being a featured receiver. The majority of Blackmons game is played within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. He can make plays in the open field because of his strength and field vision, but he isnt a threat as a deep play receiver and might find most of his success in the possession receiver role.Im not a draft expert but I will say this, if Blackmon doesnt put on a convincing display during speed drills at the combine/pro-days than I would stay away from him with a top 5 or maybe 10 pick. There is a very good chance Im wrong but there are too many sure bets in this draft and Blackmon truly is not one of them.

Larry Fitgerald ran something like a 4.6 at the combine.

Everyone knows that Blackmon runs a 4.55. All the evaluation necessary is on game tape.

Speed is not his game. It is a negative but not the end of the world. The guy catches everything thrown his way.

I don't think this hurts him much but there are a lot of WRs with similar size bunched together (Floyd, Sanu, Jeffery, Hill, Randle, Quick, etc.) who could make a serious charge at Blackmon if they can put up impressive workouts at the Combine.

I'll be curious to see how his overall Pro Day compares to some of the above who are all invited to the Combine and should(?) do everything.

Whether he runs or not, Blackmon is the clear number one receiver in the class.

If a team dings him for not running, and they choose to pass on him because of that, that is simply how bad teams do business.

I've argued his potential versus the production of other comparable players from past drafts such as Nicks, Crabs, Bowe, Britt, Bryant etc and still believe that historically he's more in line with late first round talents than top ten talents at the position....but he's the clear top receiver in the 2012 draft class.

The only debate comes in the form of Kendall Wright. If a team feels they need an elite deep threat to put them over the top I can see them making that call. Blackmon would have to fall farther than I think there is any chance he does for teams to be making that decision tho.

I found this article interesting.http://nflmocks.com/2012/02/20/is-justin-blackmon-overrated/

Is Justin Blackmon Overrated?Feb 20th at 10:45 am by Bo Is Justin Blackmon Overrated? Justin Blackmon is widely considered the best wide receiver in this class. He possesses great strength and catching ability. Statistically, Blackmon is off the charts and has been the best receiver in college football the last two years. However, these stats can be skewed; just because Blackmon is the best in college doesn’t mean he’s going to be the best choice in the NFL draft. See there is a such a different level of talent in college that it’s really hard to get a 100% accurate reading on how a player is going to translate into the NFL.I’ve compiled a list of first round receivers in the last 6 years and this is what I’ve come up with:2011-AJ Green (4th overall), Julio Jones (6th overall)2010-Demariyus Thomas (22nd overall), Dez Bryant (24th overall)2009-Darrius Heyward-Bey(7th overall), Michael Crabtree (10th overall)2008-None taken in first round2007-Calvin Johnson (2nd overall), Ted Ginn Jr.(9th overall)2006-Santonio Holmes (25th overall)Now, these players were considered some of the best coming out of college and if I were to break them down into to tiers of production it would look like this:Elite:Calvin Johnson Elite Potential:Dez BryantAJ GreenDemariyus Thomas Great Potential:Julio Jones Solid:Santonio Holmes “Man, he’d be good if he could figure it out”:Michael Crabtree What happened?Darrius Heyward-BeyTed Ginn JrLooking at that list isn’t discouraging but still, it all has to do with situation. Do you think Calvin Johnson would have been as dominant if the Raiders chose him instead of JaMarcus Russell? Who knows for sure. The thing is that you can never be sure what a receiver is going to do in the next level and it’s often dictated by what team chooses you.Back to Blackmon, Blackmon is comparable to some of the elite potential receivers on that board. Blackmon, however, is not those receivers; he lacks one key attribute, speed. The receiver Blackmon is most compared to WR Dez Bryant of the Dallas Cowboys. I see a likeness between them when it comes to physical ability but in all the tape I watch Blackmon is not able to burst off the line and get separation from defensive backs.Blackmon has made a career out of punishing smaller, lower caliber cornerbacks in the Pac-12 and that may have inflated his stock some. There is no doubt that Blackmon is going to be an NFL receiver who is productive. My concern comes when teams draft him with the purpose of being a featured receiver. The majority of Blackmon’s game is played within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. He can make plays in the open field because of his strength and field vision, but he isn’t a threat as a deep play receiver and might find most of his success in the possession receiver role.I’m not a draft expert but I will say this, if Blackmon doesn’t put on a convincing display during speed drills at the combine/pro-days than I would stay away from him with a top 5 or maybe 10 pick. There is a very good chance I’m wrong but there are too many sure bets in this draft and Blackmon truly is not one of them.
Finally someone who agrees with me.

anybody notice the article excludes 4 WRs taken in the first round in 2009:

Maclin, Harvin, Nicks and Britt...

not to mention Baldwin in 2011

anybody notice the article excludes 4 WRs taken in the first round in 2009:Maclin, Harvin, Nicks and Britt... not to mention Baldwin in 2011
Of course it does. Just like it touts Ginn and DHB as examples of big time busts when neither came even close to grading out where they were taken and were widely seen as HUGE reaches. But let's not let that get in the way of trying to make a point we believe in.

From a FF viewpoint this really sucks.
why?
Well, some leagues (not mine) may have their draft before his Pro Day. Also, it's a fact that for some reason athletes always seem to turn up good 40 times during their Pro Day. I think the combine is a more accurate indication of their true 40 time,
His pro day is 1 week after the combine.
I guess some drafts may start on Sunday, hell, I don't know. What I do know is that most of us wanted to see him run at the combine because the Pro Day times are suspect.

IMO it's a pretty safe bet that he's a 4.55 type guy, and maybe 4.60+. If he could clock high 4.4s or low 4.5s he'd do it in Indy.

Speed isn't his game. Not exactly a news flash. I agree that he's probably a 4.5 guy.

He's not going to run a 4.3. Then again, Kendall Wright isn't going to show up weighing 220 pounds.

Different players thrive with different methods. Blackmon is not Calvin/AJ/Moss. He's Nicks/Boldin/Bowe.

Nothing to see here.

EBF, you were wrong about Crabtree and you're probably wrong about Blackmon. You would think you wouldn't make the same mistake twice this close together.

Crabtree has been a solid player when healthy. Blackmon is a better version of Crabtree. Pretty simple.

Blackmon may be a decent possession WR but a number 1 he will never be.
I kinda think you're both mostly right. That is, Crabtreee may have better speed, but Blackmon's hands are top-notch. Do you need to run 4.4 to be elite? Do ya? It hasn't always been that way. Is it now? (discuss...)ETA: I like wine! :thumbup:

I found this article interesting.

http://nflmocks.com/...kmon-overrated/

Elite:

Calvin Johnson

Elite Potential:

Dez Bryant

AJ Green

Demariyus Thomas

Great Potential:

Julio Jones

Solid:

Santonio Holmes

"Man, he'd be good if he could figure it out":

Michael Crabtree

What happened?

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Ted Ginn Jr

Looking at that list isn't discouraging but still, it all has to do with situation. Do you think Calvin Johnson would have been as dominant if the Raiders chose him instead of JaMarcus Russell? Who knows for sure. The thing is that you can never be sure what a receiver is going to do in the next level and it's often dictated by what team chooses you.

Back to Blackmon, Blackmon is comparable to some of the elite potential receivers on that board. Blackmon, however, is not those receivers; he lacks one key attribute, speed. The receiver Blackmon is most compared to WR Dez Bryant of the Dallas Cowboys. I see a likeness between them when it comes to physical ability but in all the tape I watch Blackmon is not able to burst off the line and get separation from defensive backs.

Blackmon has made a career out of punishing smaller, lower caliber cornerbacks in the Pac-12 and that may have inflated his stock some. There is no doubt that Blackmon is going to be an NFL receiver who is productive. My concern comes when teams draft him with the purpose of being a featured receiver. The majority of Blackmon's game is played within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. He can make plays in the open field because of his strength and field vision, but he isn't a threat as a deep play receiver and might find most of his success in the possession receiver role.

I'm not a draft expert but I will say this, if Blackmon doesn't put on a convincing display during speed drills at the combine/pro-days than I would stay away from him with a top 5 or maybe 10 pick. There is a very good chance I'm wrong but there are too many sure bets in this draft and Blackmon truly is not one of them.
My only issue is that Ginn and DHB were HUGE reaches. I doubt any team had DHB in the first round and I'm not sure about Ginn.

Otherwise, WRs are always a bit risky. Blackmon isn't sure thing and I agree not seeing him run is a red flag.

But as someone else said, the top prospects are just protecting themselves - their stock can only go down, only in Blackmon's case, he had less of a cushion over Wright and others. That he's not running when he faces speed and concerns over separation is going to have scouts question him hard about it in interviews. (one might think he was interested in avoiding the competition)

I will also agree that more than likely his agent talked him out of it.

It's a bit of an overreaction, but I might have him dropping in my next mock a bit depending on what we hear the next few days about team reaction to it. Especially coming last minute like this, scouts will be aggravated.

His game is what it is on tape - he could run a 3.6 and it won't be on the tape. He could run a 5.7 and it won't look that way on tape either.

All the evaluation needed for some players is on the game tape. But for most of them it's helpful to measure size and athleticism.

It was also noted earlier that pro teams don't seem to care as much about 40 times, either.There seem to be two different discussion going on at the sime time in this thread: NFL value/draft stock, and FF value/draft stock.

Blackmon is highly rated by NFL standards, and his 40 time wouldn't impact that significantly either way (unless he ran a 4.8 or something).

As far as FF, his value won't be determined until after the draft. If he goes to a team with a good QB situation, his value will be higher. If he does slip because of a bad 40 (which I doubt), he could go to a team with a later pick, and (possibly) a better QB.

I found this article interesting.

http://nflmocks.com/2012/02/20/is-justin-blackmon-overrated/

Is Justin Blackmon Overrated?Feb 20th at 10:45 am by Bo Is Justin Blackmon Overrated?

Justin Blackmon is widely considered the best wide receiver in this class. He possesses great strength and catching ability. Statistically, Blackmon is off the charts and has been the best receiver in college football the last two years. However, these stats can be skewed; just because Blackmon is the best in college doesn’t mean he’s going to be the best choice in the NFL draft. See there is a such a different level of talent in college that it’s really hard to get a 100% accurate reading on how a player is going to translate into the NFL.

I’ve compiled a list of first round receivers in the last 6 years and this is what I’ve come up with:

2011-AJ Green (4th overall), Julio Jones (6th overall)

2010-Demariyus Thomas (22nd overall), Dez Bryant (24th overall)

2009-Darrius Heyward-Bey(7th overall), Michael Crabtree (10th overall)

2008-None taken in first round

2007-Calvin Johnson (2nd overall), Ted Ginn Jr.(9th overall)

2006-Santonio Holmes (25th overall)

Now, these players were considered some of the best coming out of college and if I were to break them down into to tiers of production it would look like this:

Elite:

Calvin Johnson

Elite Potential:

Dez Bryant

AJ Green

Demariyus Thomas

Great Potential:

Julio Jones

Solid:

Santonio Holmes

“Man, he’d be good if he could figure it out”:

Michael Crabtree

What happened?

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Ted Ginn Jr
Apparently this guy did not see Heyward-Bey last season? He looks to finally have turned it around. What ever happened to giving a WR 3 years to settle in?

Users who are viewing this thread