What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Wow, I guess Clowney was right.

That was some sweet, sweet 2015-era garbage time production. Clinched me my title.  :pickle:

(FBG totally needs a garbage emoji)

What love? People have been complaining about him even when he put up good stats, it was garbage time. The Jags are built to run the ball and play great defense.

The Jags weren't real successful running the ball so the offense depended on Bortles. He ran and they won. Why aren't people complaining about Fournette and the lack of a running

game? 

More than 100 Cincinnati Bengals fans have expressed their thanks to the Jacksonville Jaguars for beating the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday by donating to the Blake Bortles Foundation.

The nearly $5,000 in contributions donated so far started to come in after the Jaguars beat the Bengals’ rival, the Steelers, 45-42

Just bought some Bortles & Jaymes wine coolers for my wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he’s the starter next year. They need a much better backup though in case things go awry.
Me too. That ESPN article has a few people speculating Alex Smith might be in Jax, but I don't see it. Bortles is still young and is progressing. I'm a Pats fan, and I firmly believe had they been more aggressive with letting Bortles throw while they had a lead they would have wont the game. It worked in Pitt, not sure why they didn't try the same thing vs. Pats. Blake isn't as bad as his coaching staff was treating him, IMO. Of course, that said, they should know better than me. :D

As a dynasty owner, this was an ideal playoff run for Blake. He guarantees he'll be starting somewhere in 2018 and barring a disaster of a campaign he should be a decent spot starter for the next 4-5 years. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Blake Bortles had surgery on his right wrist last Friday.

He’s battled the wrist issue since the 2016 season. This makes things tricky for the Jaguars, as Bortles’ 2018 fifth-year option is only guaranteed for injury. It becomes guaranteed on the third day of the league year (March 16) if Bortles is still on the roster. Bortles' timeline for recovery is unknown, but it seems highly likely it will put the Jaguars in a tough position. Bortles returning to Jacksonville would likely halt the rumors of the Jags acquiring Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jan 29 - 10:52 PM

(Rotoworld) NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Jaguars are "planning to keep" Blake Bortles. Analysis: Rapoport said that was the plan "to my understanding." Bortles' fifth-year team option is guaranteed for injury only. Recovering from wrist surgery, he would need to pass a physical by the third day of the new league year (March 16) for the Jags to release him without penalty. Perhaps that's why they are now "planning to keep" Bortles after his replacement-level 2017.

Although these contracts are confusing at times. Someone on Twitter is saying it's misleading and it really will free up cap space and they can cut ties with Bortles easily whenever they want.

Burning hot take. On the other hand...

Deal reduces BB5 cap number by 7 mil. And...

@greggrosenthal: Basically they pay a $6.5 million “we made the afc title game” fee if they want to move on after 2018 https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/967787801650651136
And they were kind of jammed up with his injury and current contract. I still think they mismanaged things. They should have taken Mahomes or Lattimore there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think Fournette was worth such a high pick.

And they were kind of jammed up with his injury and current contract. I still think they mismanaged things. They should have taken Mahomes or Lattimore there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think Fournette was worth such a high pick.
Not a fan of 5th year option decision but injury was non issue. He said last night that he is already throwing.

If they wanted to cut him, he would have passed physical.

Teammates like him and the coaches respect him. Contract extension doesnt stop them from drafting QB early (and perhaps late as well). 

Bortles no longer dating Lindsey Duke should have been enough to run him out of town.  I'd pay $100 for a ticket to watch her for 4 hours, rather than watch him toss knuckleballs into the turf.

Maybe I'm drinking the summer Kool-Aid, but I like Bortles as a top 5 guy this season. He's been close before (from FF POV) and I think with the consistency at OC, confidence with no contract or benching talk in the background, bevy of young WRS, playmaking TE and stud RB (along with a pass-catching scat back), I think he puts it together and has a career year. 

Found this from a beat writer as I was taking a stroll down Confirmation Bias Lane, and I'm all-in, baby!

https://www.jaguars.com/news/sexton-oehser-quick-thoughts-offseason-wrap

2. Quarterback Blake Bortles looks ready to have an outstanding season. I know that’s hard for many people to understand, but I would be stunned if he doesn’t. His performance throughout the offseason was consistently strong; the key word there was “consistently.” Since he arrived in 2014 that word has eluded Bortles. His time on task in offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett’s system combined with Fournette running hard behind an improved offensive line has him in a place where he can thrive. Bortles is a play-action quarterback; with Fournette, he has the chance to really sell that. He isn’t a rocket-armed, deep-ball passer but with Seferian-Jenkins on the field he can play the underneath game and open things up further down the field and help create more open receivers. Skeptics will shake their head and laugh; that’s what skeptical, cynical people do. I’m not one of those. Watch and see when training camp starts if a more mature, more focused and more confident Bortles with opportunity given from Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin and Marrone doesn’t translate into his best season yet.

tombonneau said:
Maybe I'm drinking the summer Kool-Aid, but I like Bortles as a top 5 guy this season. He's been close before (from FF POV) and I think with the consistency at OC, confidence with no contract or benching talk in the background, bevy of young WRS, playmaking TE and stud RB (along with a pass-catching scat back), I think he puts it together and has a career year. 

Found this from a beat writer as I was taking a stroll down Confirmation Bias Lane, and I'm all-in, baby!

https://www.jaguars.com/news/sexton-oehser-quick-thoughts-offseason-wrap
I realistically can't see Bortles cracking the top 15 QB this year.  The Jags possess a top 5 defense combined with a smash mouth running game and a receiving group that lost their top 2 WR's.....   2nd string QB material only  

I realistically can't see Bortles cracking the top 15 QB this year.  The Jags possess a top 5 defense combined with a smash mouth running game and a receiving group that lost their top 2 WR's.....   2nd string QB material only  
I don't see Bortles being close to the top 5, but as a counter point, I'd be very surprised if he fell out of the top 15. He was QB13 in the league I had him in last year, and was closer to QB7 (Phil Rivers) in points per game than he was to QB15.

The makeup of the team hasn't changed all that much from last year, and arguably could be even better from a fantasy perspective. Allen Robinson is gone, but because of the injury in the opening quarter of game 1, he wasn't really there last season either. Marqise Lee lead the team in targets and Keelan Cole lead the team in yardage, who both return this year. They're also adding Donte Moncrief and DJ Chark to the receiving group and while neither is considered all that great, the production of the unit was pretty dismal last year too, so hard to see it as any worse than before. They also brought in two better receiving TEs than they've had in recent years with ASJ and Niles Paul.

If anything I should probably be higher on Bortles, but I think he outperformed what he should have last year so I'm probably expecting him to land right around that borderline QB1 range again.

Anyone who thinks Blake Bortles could be a top 5 QB needs to re-watch the Bills-Jags playoff game. Some of those throws were atrocious.

I don't see Bortles being close to the top 5, but as a counter point, I'd be very surprised if he fell out of the top 15. He was QB13 in the league I had him in last year, and was closer to QB7 (Phil Rivers) in points per game than he was to QB15.

The makeup of the team hasn't changed all that much from last year, and arguably could be even better from a fantasy perspective. Allen Robinson is gone, but because of the injury in the opening quarter of game 1, he wasn't really there last season either. Marqise Lee lead the team in targets and Keelan Cole lead the team in yardage, who both return this year. They're also adding Donte Moncrief and DJ Chark to the receiving group and while neither is considered all that great, the production of the unit was pretty dismal last year too, so hard to see it as any worse than before. They also brought in two better receiving TEs than they've had in recent years with ASJ and Niles Paul.

If anything I should probably be higher on Bortles, but I think he outperformed what he should have last year so I'm probably expecting him to land right around that borderline QB1 range again.
FBG has him ranked 24... Just sayin

Blake Bortles said he feels more comfortable in the Jaguars' offense after adjusting to a new coaching staff in 2017.

"When we started last year, it was kind of an elementary level, in terms of ‘I’m hearing the play, I’m thinking about the footwork I have to take, the identification, trying to remember what routes guys are running and all that," he said. "Now, I think I’m kind of owning the offense and having a better understanding of it." No one would ever mistake Bortles for Aaron Rodgers, though he should at least benefit from a strong supporting cast in Jacksonville. He signed a three-year extension this offseason, keeping him in Duval through his age-28 season.

Source: Orlando Sentinel

Jun 24 - 12:23 PM

So is Bortles on your draft board??  Would you draft him??
If it works out, indeed any of those FBG QBs from 10-25 are options.  I consider (like FBG), those 10-15 QBs to be damn near identical and streaming/matchup plays week to week.

Opining that any of those QBs bunched together might out perform FBG rankings is perfectly reasonable.  Especially on a week to week basis.

Last year for example, I believe I used Bortles a couple times in the last part of the season and even 2 weeks in the playoffs.  If the schedule works out, I would start any of those guys.

Having said that.. I havent looked at his schedule for this year.
I personally view Bortles as having a very low floor given great defense and running game so he's an emergency start only type guy for me.  Much rather numerous other QBs as my 2nd guy.

RushHour said:
LOL, the annual dose of positive Bortles offseason news. It’s a great tradition.
Last year he was benched in preseason for Chad Henne and there was serious talk that the Jags would cut him in favor of Brandon Allen.

So there was no dose of positive Bortles offseason news in 2017, making it a pretty inconsistent and unsatisfying tradition

Last year he was benched in preseason for Chad Henne and there was serious talk that the Jags would cut him in favor of Brandon Allen.

So there was no dose of positive Bortles offseason news in 2017, making it a pretty inconsistent and unsatisfying tradition
The fact that he still has a spot on an NFL roster is positive news for him.

True. I think I was remembering blurbs about him improving his mechanics with Tom House etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaguars OC Nathaniel Hackett believes Blake Bortles' progression will allow the passing game "to be a lot more aggressive."

"We’re in a great situation, because a very good line, and we have very good running backs, which will allow us to run the ball," Hackett said. "Now it’s going to allow us to be a lot more aggressive because you can trust that Blake is going to make the right decision more consistently." Bortles dominated down the field during his best season in 2015, completing a league-high 72 passes of 20 yards or more and averaging 12.5 yards per completion, but he has struggled to recapture that form the last two years. While the offense should remain run-heavy, it sounds like Bortles will get more opportunities to push it deep this season. Bortles is a good value in two-quarterback formats.

Source: MMQB 

Jul 2 - 10:33 AM

Thinking about drafting this guy in my start 2QB league. I don't understand why he is currently ranked QB22 according to Fantasy Pros. Last year in my league he finished QB13, and the year before that he finished QB7. I don't think he has ever missed a game from injury. 

Somebody talk me off this ledge. 

Thinking about drafting this guy in my start 2QB league. I don't understand why he is currently ranked QB22 according to Fantasy Pros. Last year in my league he finished QB13, and the year before that he finished QB7. I don't think he has ever missed a game from injury. 

Somebody talk me off this ledge. 
Ignore his name and the nationwide stigma that comes with it and review the facts, kind of like a blind tasting:

Quarterback X has finished as the 13th, 9th and 4th highest scoring fantasy QB over the last three years

Since becoming the starter, he's played 62 consecutive games

The interception % has decreased each year

Significant rushing bonus.  Never has rushed for less than 300 yds in a season and has scored 2+ rushing TDs over the last three seasons

He's a lower volume passer who is potentially more efficient due to effective play-action

The team has brought in more receiving weapons (last year he was passing to, among others, an undrafted rookie, a rookie who missed the first eight games due to injury and a 33 year old TE)

His team was a couple of plays away from the last Super Bowl and has 16-1 odds to win it all this season

If your league penalizes for occasional bad mechanics and head scratching plays, that could be a problem

I see a likelihood of 16th-18th best QB in 2018

Users who are viewing this thread