What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Nah

You should be terrified. 
Bortles should have been cut long time ago.  I recalled one of his quotes, telling the media how much he looks forward on getting $100M contract.  It came off as him feeling being entitled and to me, that's one of major red flags. 

I'm here to eat it. You were right.

I thought after year one that he's a rookie, people are crazy,  he'll get better. Year 2- See he just threw for +4K and 35 TD and who cares if it was in garbage time, he'll put it together in his third year. And then it completely spiraled out of control. He still doesn't know how to read a defense.
It's all fun here. Imagine how I felt here after year 2 lol

As a fan, you should want Branden Allen to start ASAP. Henne has experience, but Allen is the talent. He's not a superstar, but he can win the division. Hopefully he works his way into the conversation with the coaches. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see it happening that if Henne outperforms Bortles  in the rest of training camp and preseason games that the Jaguars cut Bortles and go with Henne as the starter and Brandon Allen as the backup to start the season.  That would avoid the team being on the hook for his $19M 5th year option in case of injury.  I think the rest of the team is close to giving up on Bortles if ARob is calling out Bortles on keeping throws inbounds.

The Jaguars did not release an unofficial depth chart in their game notes this week.

Instead, they listed question marks at quarterback and kicker. The Jags have lost confidence in Blake Bortles, who delivered an embarrassing performance Thursday night. There's incentive for Jacksonville to sit Bortles as his $19 million option for next year (which the Jaguars foolishly exercised) is only guaranteed for injury. With Chad Henne and Bortles battling it out at QB and Leonard Fournette (foot) injured, Jacksonville's offense looks to be in dire straits.

Source: Mark Long on Twitter 

Aug 20 - 11:54 AM

Published Thu Aug 24 1:14:53 a.m. ET 2017 

(dynastyleaguefootball) Chad Henne will start at quarterback in Jacksonville's third preseason game.

Analysis: Henne will get a very valuable chance to the job permanently with a solid performance. Blake Bortles is reportedly going to get time with the first unit, but it's clear his job (and possibly his roster spot) is in serious jeopardy. The Jags will see how Henne does but if he shows well, it's quite possible we've seen the last of Blake Bortles as the Jags will likely shut him down for the year or cut him. Henne would be a low-end QB2 at best and it won't be surprising to see Bortles hit a lot of dynasty waiver wires soon.

I got it figured out, let Henne start the first series or two every game and then let Bortles come in and try to win his starting spot back, he seems to do better with that.

Am I on to something? You may get a C+ grade QB out of that. 

Im one of the people who still believe in Bortles and drafted him in both my leagues auction and redraft. Im not sure why but I think he can bounce back and be a good Qb 

The terrible decision was not going after a half decent backup. Even Hoyer would have been a massive upgrade. Henne was awful five years ago, I'm sure he hasn't improved sitting on the bench and getting old.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, this was a bit of a surprise. I know most people think he stinks and that may be the case, but now that he's named the starter not sure where to value him in a 2 qb league.  If he keeps the job i could see him having value.

He was fine today

The way they were forcing Lee to get the ball seemed like it was designed.

Tipped ball INTs are the WRs fault, not his.

Very mature to engineer those two late TDs and let that be it. That's different and characterizes the game for me. Played totally within himself and didn't try to be a superstar.  A few wise throw aways and a nice heady run. 

If ya wanna call him average or mediocre, maybe I'll roll with that. Very much not horrible though.

He's killed the Titans and averaged 300 per game. I could tell his confidence is gone. Still though, he's sure of himself and fine.

In the game thread someone said he wonders if Bortles is one bad pass away from getting the hook. He hasn't been like that. When I rewatched the Texans game, he was fine then too.

Maybe Marrone is rebuilding him? It's a lot of very sure simple routes.

I think putting DeDe on IR with a broken fingernail will haunt them. Marcedes hasn't been good in a while. They should have replaced him by now. 

Lee runs a nice sharp crossing route. I really think he's just a big slot WR. I rarely see him win a jump ball or use the sideline well. 

Bortles may stink for FF, his numbers aren't great. He's not pressing and being dopey. Looks more mature to me

Wentz going down, I’m scrambling for a ICE QB... what do I find? Blake Bortles has had some good success lately, and has a good schedule ROS. 

Bortles, dare I say it, is actually not playing bad and far exceeding expectations from beginning of the year.  Will be interesting to see how far they go in the playoffs. If they make a run, will be interesting to see if Jax considers bringing him back next year.

Yep I lost Wentz today so I'm going to have to pick up Bortles to start next week 
In the league where I have Wentz, he's already owned, but in my other league, where I've been streaming Tyrod, Cutler (shudder) and Jimmy G, I picked him up. Will have a decision next week between him and Jimmy, but Week 16 he's a no-brainer for me.

In the league where I have Wentz, he's already owned, but in my other league, where I've been streaming Tyrod, Cutler (shudder) and Jimmy G, I picked him up. Will have a decision next week between him and Jimmy, but Week 16 he's a no-brainer for me.
I'm in same boat. Debating between him and Jimmy this week. (Along with a seemingly resurgent Dak vs putrid Raiders secondary.)

Regardless of who I choose and if I'm right or wrong, this is dynasty so just glad to see BB playing well enough that he might still be a starter in 2018. I think if he continues his play and even wins a playoff game, he'll for sure get starter money somewhere, either in Jax or elsewhere. 

Should have started him their week. Hopefully doesn't cost me. If I advance, he'll be in my lineup next week vs SF for what I think will be surprise shootout. 

What is most fascinating to me is Blake's dynasty value. This late season surge surely has Jax brass reevaluating and considering an extension. Not sure how you run a young QB out of town who leads you to 12-4 and has a very sound second half of season. 

If they let him walk and sign Eli or someone, I think Blake gets big time starter money from AZ or someone. 

Either way, great as dynasty owner to see an asset that looked almost cuttable heading into 2017 (Henne? Really?) will now have value in 2018 and beyond. 

Should have started him their week. Hopefully doesn't cost me. If I advance, he'll be in my lineup next week vs SF for what I think will be surprise shootout. 

What is most fascinating to me is Blake's dynasty value. This late season surge surely has Jax brass reevaluating and considering an extension. Not sure how you run a young QB out of town who leads you to 12-4 and has a very sound second half of season. 

If they let him walk and sign Eli or someone, I think Blake gets big time starter money from AZ or someone. 

Either way, great as dynasty owner to see an asset that looked almost cuttable heading into 2017 (Henne? Really?) will now have value in 2018 and beyond. 
Unless he goes Full Flacco and wins a Super Bowl, I think the most likely scenario is they sign him to a Dalton/Kaepernick style contract that is basically year-to-year. No way they want to commit long-term money to him.

Guy has been the phenomenal when he has a clean pocket the last two weeks. His larger body of work speaks for what he truly is, but like most of the middle 16 QBs, he can make plays if you don’t get pressure.

So just put Blake in my starting lineup over Dak and Jimmy. Didn't feel as bad as I was expecting. 

Who else is firing up their Bortles?
Debating between him and Foles. Leaning Bortles because he has a longer track record, but it does worry me that Fournette could come back and they could lean on him more. Last week was great, but I worry that in a more typical Jax blowout we won't see Blake slinging it all over the yard.

One of many interesting qb situations this offseason. If I'm the Jags I'd be more nervous about letting him go at this point than letting him play out the option or giving him a Bradford type contract.
Seems like the Jags can draft a QB and see if Bortles keeps up his good streak.  

Hes certainly looked legit the last month, but he’s also had some cake matchups. I’m not sure the Niners are much of a test either though it is a road game. 

So just put Blake in my starting lineup over Dak and Jimmy. Didn't feel as bad as I was expecting. 

Who else is firing up their Bortles?
I’ve got Keenum, Bortles & JimmyG. 

I’m rolling with Bortles.   :unsure:

Seems like the Jags can draft a QB and see if Bortles keeps up his good streak.  

Hes certainly looked legit the last month, but he’s also had some cake matchups. I’m not sure the Niners are much of a test either though it is a road game. 

I’ve got Keenum, Bortles & JimmyG. 

I’m rolling with Bortles.   :unsure:
See that's where you're wrong. Bortles is dead. You're rolling with Blake.  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread