What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Keep the Blake Hate going. Was able to get him towards the end of a $900 budget dynasty auction for $1. Guy is insane value.

Just don't lose, baby.

Jags allowed only 1 TO (a Blake INT) and 1 sack in Week 1

Only the Chiefs (1-0), the Rams (1-0) and the Bucs (0-0) were equally or more efficient in not allowing negative plays

Watching the Titans and Raider games, you see how Blake Hate overcomes reality.  Mariota and Carr both appear to be in the bottom 1/3 of NFL QBs, yet are still hyped

That said, this weekends game is key if Blake wants to start changing the loser narrative.  "Just don't lose" won't cut it...he'll actually need to play a major part in winning the game

Guy's holding is own. Problem for me is that I've played him weeks 1 & 3 and sat him in 2& 4 (2QB league)

It might be raining during their game Sunday. I'm not sure how hard or the levels of wind, but this could be cause for concern. 

But on another note, these are some of the reasons you should roll with Bortles this weekend:

https://www.rotoballer.com/blake-bortles-can-be-a-fantasy-football-qb1/555970

Btw, for those who listen to the fantasy pros podcasts, I'm sure you've heard them regularly mentioning Bortles is the #1 quarterback over the last 10 games. Sure, selective sample size and all that, but nonetheless it's pretty interesting. 

Starting him this week and it's borderline terrifying how inconsistent this guy is. In standard, his scoring has been 15, 40, 8, 27. He could do absolutely anything this week and it wouldn't be surprising.

Well fantasy day was actually ok but his trend of unpredictability continues...
You must play in a fantasy league that doesn’t penalize too hard for turnovers.  Dude has 8 turnovers in 5 games played this year. I personally would not trust him at all in a single qb league. However—I do think he’s a very good second qb option in a 2 qb league.   

Garbage real life performance but anyone who streamed him has to be happy. Especially after looking at that horrific first half. 

Yeah Bortles is bad, but Teddy or Tyrod would not have really changed anything. 
Exactly.  Team was built with little to no margin for error, and to date, almost everything they were counting on has gone wrong.  Neither of the 2 QBs you mentioned would have been able to overcome this, although jury is still out as to whether Teddy B would have melted down as colossally as BB5 has

Blake Bortles - QB -  Jaguars

Blake Bortles completed 24-of-41 attempts for 286 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' Week 8 loss to the Eagles in London, adding 43 yards on the ground.

A week after getting benched, Bortles appeared hesitant to let the ball go early. At one point in the second quarter, he had more carries (4) than passing attempts (3), and he threw just seven passes total in the first half. The offense opened up after the break, and Bortles was able to move the football. He completed seven of nine passes on a 75-yard touchdown drive in the third quarter including a great touch throw to Dede Westbrook for the touchdown, and he led a couple field goal drives the next two times the Jags had the ball. A couple of better throws could have earned him a touchdown on both drives, however, and he was not able to lead a comeback drive despite picking up one fourth down with his legs. Bortles played well enough to keep the starting job against the Colts coming out of the bye, especially since he did not commit any turnovers, but he will remain on a short leash.

Oct 28 - 12:30 PM

The Jaguars will not bench Blake Bortles for Week 12.

When asked if Bortles was losing confidence, coach Doug Marrone said you would have to ask Bortles. Scintillating. Marrone has clearly lost all confidence in his quarterback. The Jaguars only let him attempt 18 passes in Sunday's meltdown loss to the Steelers. Already benched once this season, Bortles will surely be benched twice, though the Jags' campaign is in the gutter, perhaps lessening the urgency. It appears the Jags will finally move in a different direction this offseason.

Source: Eugene Frenette on Twitter 

Nov 19 - 2:46 PM

Checkdowns and floaters, that's all he did today. He would have been benched if the Jaguars had a halfway decent backup.
Yeah Bortles was an absolute non-factor in the passing game.   I know that Kessler isn't the next coming of Tom Brady and Landry Jones just joined the team a few weeks ago but Jax is better off going to one or them if the coaching staff has that little confidence in Bortles.

Yeah Bortles was an absolute non-factor in the passing game.   I know that Kessler isn't the next coming of Tom Brady and Landry Jones just joined the team a few weeks ago but Jax is better off going to one or them if the coaching staff has that little confidence in Bortles.
At this point, does it really matter? Season's done, both Bortles and Kessler aren't any good.  They have no confidence to let Bortles even throw a pass at the end of the game.  They need to clean house. I had supported Bortles more than most but it's over.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago

The Blake Bortles Era isn’t done just said. #Jaguars coach Doug Marrone told reporters he’ll start the final game again the #Texans.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago

The Blake Bortles Era isn’t done just said. #Jaguars coach Doug Marrone told reporters he’ll start the final game again the #Texans.
Wouldnt make sense to cut him anyway. 16.5m dead cap vs 16m salary (unless some/all of the offsets for the 6.5m guaranteed for 2018 have been triggered)

Wouldnt make sense to cut him anyway. 16.5m dead cap vs 16m salary (unless some/all of the offsets for the 6.5m guaranteed for 2018 have been triggered)
Think there’s an earlier post where it would cost an extra 5 mill to cut him.

Guess could see both sides but think they move on.

Think there’s an earlier post where it would cost an extra 5 mill to cut him.

Guess could see both sides but think they move on.
Who would the Jags be able acquire that makes the $5M loss worth it? Joe Flacco? Teddy Bridgewater? Colt McCoy?

Maybe they'd be better off taking a QB in the first round and then let him sit behind Bortles for a year.

Who would the Jags be able acquire that makes the $5M loss worth it? Joe Flacco? Teddy Bridgewater? Colt McCoy?

Maybe they'd be better off taking a QB in the first round and then let him sit behind Bortles for a year.
Don't think the 5 Mill is a big deal - could go for someone in free agency and/ or the draft.  They don't need to decide until after free agency and the draft.

Don't think the 5 Mill is a big deal - could go for someone in free agency and/ or the draft.  They don't need to decide until after free agency and the draft.
Here is the free agency list. I've bolded the QBs with experience as a starter:

Tyrod Taylor        (UFA)
Josh McCown        (UFA)
Teddy Bridgewater        (UFA)
Matt Schaub        (UFA)
Ryan Fitzpatrick        (UFA)
Ryan Griffin        (UFA)
Matt Cassel        (UFA)
Robert Griffin III        (UFA)
Derek Anderson        (UFA)
Geno Smith        (UFA)
Joe Webb        (UFA)
Mark Sanchez        (UFA)
Josh Johnson        (UFA)
Brock Osweiler        (UFA)
Brandon Weeden        (UFA)
David Fales        (UFA)
Sean Mannion        (UFA)
Tyler Bray        (UFA)
Tom Savage        (UFA)
Austin Davis        (UFA)
Taylor Heinicke        (UFA)
Kevin Hogan        (RFA)
Brett Hundley        (UFA)
Davis Webb        (ERFA)
Nate Sudfeld        (RFA)
Trevor Siemian        (UFA)
Alex Tanney        (ERFA)
Trevone Boykin        (ERFA)
Brad Kaaya        (ERFA)
Garrett Gilbert        (ERFA)
Kyle Allen        (ERFA)

[scooter] said:
Here is the free agency list. I've bolded the QBs with experience as a starter:

Tyrod Taylor        (UFA)
Josh McCown        (UFA)
Teddy Bridgewater        (UFA)
Matt Schaub        (UFA)
Ryan Fitzpatrick        (UFA)
Ryan Griffin        (UFA)
Matt Cassel        (UFA)
Robert Griffin III        (UFA)
Derek Anderson        (UFA)
Geno Smith        (UFA)
Joe Webb        (UFA)
Mark Sanchez        (UFA)
Josh Johnson        (UFA)
Brock Osweiler        (UFA)
Brandon Weeden        (UFA)
David Fales        (UFA)
Sean Mannion        (UFA)
Tyler Bray        (UFA)
Tom Savage        (UFA)
Austin Davis        (UFA)
Taylor Heinicke        (UFA)
Kevin Hogan        (RFA)
Brett Hundley        (UFA)
Davis Webb        (ERFA)
Nate Sudfeld        (RFA)
Trevor Siemian        (UFA)
Alex Tanney        (ERFA)
Trevone Boykin        (ERFA)
Brad Kaaya        (ERFA)
Garrett Gilbert        (ERFA)
Kyle Allen        (ERFA)

Right but I think the two guys you mentioned Flacco and Bridgewater are possibilities. Also Tannehill is a possiblity off the top of my head.

it wouldn’t shock me if they brought back Bortles. I’m just leaning a bit to the other side

Users who are viewing this thread