What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

he wasn't that bad!  From his first throw Simms started complaining about his mechanics, cbs is showing his throwing motion in slow motion like the zapruder film.  The whole team stunk. He got no help from anyone. If your running backs fall down or run into their own guy and fumble, if your receivers don't make simple rout adjustments, if your o-line lets guys run right up the middle unblocked, i don't care if Norm Van Brocklin is back there, you're going to have a rough half.  You'd think from reading some of the sites tonight or listening to Simms that Bortles was entirely the reason the team laid an egg.  He didn't muff that punt.  He didn't miss those tackles. He didn't call those plays. Yeah, he kept the ball on the read option a few times when maybe he shouldn't have and he threw 2 or 3 wobblers out of 54 tosses. He wasn't that bad. The whole team was flat from the opening kickoff. He wasn't great but he wasn't Mike Phipps either.

he wasn't that bad!  From his first throw Simms started complaining about his mechanics, cbs is showing his throwing motion in slow motion like the zapruder film.  The whole team stunk. He got no help from anyone. If your running backs fall down or run into their own guy and fumble, if your receivers don't make simple rout adjustments, if your o-line lets guys run right up the middle unblocked, i don't care if Norm Van Brocklin is back there, you're going to have a rough half.  You'd think from reading some of the sites tonight or listening to Simms that Bortles was entirely the reason the team laid an egg.  He didn't muff that punt.  He didn't miss those tackles. He didn't call those plays. Yeah, he kept the ball on the read option a few times when maybe he shouldn't have and he threw 2 or 3 wobblers out of 54 tosses. He wasn't that bad. The whole team was flat from the opening kickoff. He wasn't great but he wasn't Mike Phipps either.
First off, love the Mike Phipps reference. Recovering 70's Bears fan here.

I did not watch the game, but many comments were made about the team laying down, on purpose, especially the defense. What do you think of that?

He sucked last night.
He did. Went to bed before midway through the 2nd Q right after they picked up their second first down,! thankful I didn't start him.

30.68 in format (big play & milestone bonuses), almost all of it in garbage time - his best FF game this season.

Mike Phipps had a career winning percentage. BB should be so good.

Have to laugh at previous comment that he was slinging it in 2nd half. Sh@@@y titan defense went to a club in the 2nd half & basically were just playing prevent. BBottles SUCKS!!

Yep. The glass is 1/10th full! 

He did. Went to bed before midway through the 2nd Q right after they picked up their second first down,! thankful I didn't start him.

30.68 in format (big play & milestone bonuses), almost all of it in garbage time - his best FF game this season.
Yes.  of course the guy I'm matched up with this week started him.  I couldn't believe he left him in.  figures

He sucked last night.
What? That was the 2015 BB we all fell in love with. Perfect game script... Down 20+ pts in the 4th QTR... That's when he goes to work picking apart the prevent defense.

The Jags should do this every week. It would do wonders for BB's FF career.

I love the "garbage time gold" uni's as well.

What? That was the 2015 BB we all fell in love with. Perfect game script... Down 20+ pts in the 4th QTR... That's when he goes to work picking apart the prevent defense.

The Jags should do this every week. It would do wonders for BB's FF career.

I love the "garbage time gold" uni's as well.
I'm talking real football.  not fake football

BB puts Fred Sanford to shame with his stink. He was great last night from a FF perspective. Heck, he never turned it over. This is the 2015 BB minus the long bombs and the three picks. Tough to watch but effective. From a 2016 FF perspective, maybe the JAX defense is good enough to hold teams to limit a shootout? Not last night of course, but that is the true BB FF garbage time formula - down by multiple TDs in the second half 54 attempts.

From the non- FF perspective - he was horrid. No touch, multiple passes that were just God awful and an uncanny way of telegraphing the passing plays. Sorry JAX fans. This is just lousy regression. This team has a bad QB, no running game and a coaching staff that has lost any semblance of team dynamic.

Bortles, the king of garbage time

First quarter: 1,598 yards, 4 touchdowns
Second quarter: 2,356 yards, 15 touchdowns
Third quarter: 1,912 yards, 13 touchdowns
Fourth quarter: 3,364 yards 26 touchdowns

I thought the knock on Bortles from a FANTASY perspective going into 2016 was that the Jag's defense would be too good for what he offers to REAL football. The thought process was that they would be in too many close games this season and he wouldn't be lighting up defenses that are just trying to get out of the game with their health while still giving up a little on those 3-4 score gaps.

Last night's fiasco was exactly how he carried teams to FANTASY championships in 2015. Only thing that can derail it is management's desire to actually win REAL games.

He's also a victim of unreasonable expectations.  

People were talking up JAX as a team ready to make a move, because of a perceived nice draft, and signing Malik Jackson.  

I'm not defending Bortles at all, I think his passing skill is below NFL average, just saying that they had some flashy moves in the offseason (all of which I liked, really), and people were putting them in the category of Oakland, a team that frankly had more pieces in place.  

Malik has not make much of an impact, Myles Jack cannot get on the field, I haven't heard much about Dante Fowler.  Ramsey is obviously the goods.  

They still have some nice players on the team, I feel like Gus Bradley is Dennis Allen circa 3 years ago.  He's gonna get fired and some other coach is gonna slide into a team ready to make a move.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the knock on Bortles from a FANTASY perspective going into 2016 was that the Jag's defense would be too good for what he offers to REAL football. The thought process was that they would be in too many close games this season and he wouldn't be lighting up defenses that are just trying to get out of the game with their health while still giving up a little on those 3-4 score gaps.

Last night's fiasco was exactly how he carried teams to FANTASY championships in 2015. Only thing that can derail it is management's desire to actually win REAL games.
Wasn't  this the first game all year where he showed up even in garbage time? 

Wasn't  this the first game all year where he showed up even in garbage time? 
No, he killed me in Week 2 getting garbage points against the Chargers.  Didn't do squat until the 4th quarter of that game when they were already down 35-0.

Nobody ever said he was a good real QB.  Game scripts count in Fantasy, and garbage time is part of it.  The 2nd half looked like last year. If you have BB, ARob or Hurns you'll take it all day long.

I don't know if Blake is a bad QB or not because I don't watch a lot of Jags games. I saw the game last night though and I don't think there are many QBs who would have done well with that O line. The Jags O line is atrocious and that certainly doesn't help the QB any. 

I don't know if Blake is a bad QB or not because I don't watch a lot of Jags games. I saw the game last night though and I don't think there are many QBs who would have done well with that O line. The Jags O line is atrocious and that certainly doesn't help the QB any. 
Phil Niekro would have had a tough time matching Bortles last night in the first half.  Seriously, I've never seen a worse ball thrown by an NFL QB.  Marriota's throwing tight spirals all over the field and Bortles was throwing end over end punts.  Had nothing to do with the O-Line.

When u don't have time to throw the ball, you're probably not going to throw a good ball. Mariota throwing tight spirals has nothing to do with it. TEN actually has a good line. 

Any chance he gets benched. Not during a poor performance day in the 3rd or 4th quarter, but before a game because of consistently poor performance/inability to lead a team to victory

The guys who watch a lot of film will tell you that he is a horrible QB. 

I confess to being a believer. I am shocked at how much he has regressed. It brings to mind Josh Freeman and his rapid decline. I still am reluctant to bury him. A running game couldn't hurt.

If you tune into the 'highlights' on NFL.com this past week you will see what analysts are worried about.  He looked terrible.  Garbage time stats won't erase that performance. He looked more like Tim Tebow in terms of mechanics, velocity, accuracy, progressions, command of the playbook, etc than a starting QB in the NFL. He held the ball like a loaf of bread at times, threw multiple knuckle balls, no velocity when he needed it, wildly inaccurate, and his WRs don't trust him to deliver the ball on time and on target.  ARob's body language speaks volumes of what he thinks.  He needs to turn it around quickly or he'll be on a short leash for the rest of his career.  That was BAD.

Last year QB Blake Bortles set three all-time Jacksonville passing records:

• 35 touchdowns
  • 4,428 yards
  • 336 completions
Why didn't he progress and live up to expectations this year?

Last year he invested time in arduous offseason workouts to drop weight 250 lbs to 238 and body fat down from 10 percent, but the biggest single thing he did was working out for two months with throwing guru Tom House who zeroed in on improving his mechanics and footwork.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/jacksonville-jaguars-blake-bortles-voluntary-workouts-julius-thomas-042115

Leaner Blake Bortles ready to consume new offensive additions, system

Blake Bortles arrived at the Jacksonville Jaguars' first day of voluntary workouts lighter and leaner, ready to start preparing to work with a new offensive coordinator and a new high-profile receiving target.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:00p ET

after a rookie season in which he threw 17 interceptions and was sacked 55 times in 14 games, the biggest change in Bortles might come from spending more than two months in California this offseason trying to improve his footwork and mechanics. A considerable portion of that time was spent with Tom House, a former major-league pitcher and pitching coach who has also fine-tuned quarterbacks from Drew Brees to Tim Tebow.

"He's obviously a baseball guy," Bortles said Tuesday. "But he knows throwers, and he's surrounded himself with some football guys that know some stuff about football. There's a mold of how to correctly get your body to work together and throw the football, and everybody's got to kind of adapt that mold to themselves and their own throwing styles."

Although Bortles was intercepted only twice in the Jaguars' final four games, he completed barely more than half of his passes over that stretch and said that his right arm "kind of deteriorated" from overuse dating back to his junior year at UCF. House tried to impress on him the importance of taking stress off the arm by incorporating the entire body in the throwing motion.

"I could tell during the season last year," Bortles said. "You're watching film, and it's like, 'That doesn't look good, but there's no time to fix it.' "

Bortles admitted he didn't look good in another area at the end of a season where the Jaguars went 3-13, saying "when I left here, I was kind of fat." His weight has since dropped from 250 pounds to 238, and he said his body fat is down to 10 percent.

After last year, he felt he broke through and had made it.  He did not work out for two months with House this year and he did not put in the time.

Result?

Well, you see the results.

So 2 people "who have watched a lot of film" thinks he's horribble.  Well that settles it then.
No it's still up in the air. There's one or two ####heads on the internet that don't know their ### from a hole in the ground, and they think he means to throw the ball like a girl.

The debate rages on.

So 2 people "who have watched a lot of film" thinks he's horribble.  Well that settles it then.
Settles it?

Rhythmdoctor said he hasn't seen many Jags games. Cosell and Harris watch every snap of every game. They say Bortles sucks.

How much of his tape have you watched? What is your assessment?

In "real" football--Blake is terrible.  Even last year when he had his "statistical breakout" season--those stats were very misleading. The dude is the king of padding his stats against soft defenses.  He plays soo poorly early in games when defenses are fully engaged that he creates giant deficits for his team by halftime or the third quarter.  This allows the defenses to soften up and play more "preventiative" and he feasts upon that.  Look at the breakdown of his stats from last year--and they show you the same thing.  He puts up big numbers when his team is trailing in games.     He's done it a few times this season too--so this is nothing new.   Essentially he is so bad that he creates his own pseudo-success statistically.     Sadly enough---this same ineptitude is what makes him a decently viable fantasy qb.   

I do want to make clear that I am in no way saying that he cannot get better. This is purely my assessment of last season and this season (up to this point).   

He held the ball like a loaf of bread at times, threw multiple knuckle balls, no velocity when he needed it, wildly inaccurate, and his WRs don't trust him to deliver the ball on time and on target.
This. Couldn't believe how little touch Bortles had on the ball against the Titans. They were indeed true knuckleballs, some looking more like punts in the air than NFL starting QB caliber throws. He was often behind receivers with this throws, with receivers having to pick balls off their laces or stretching out to get hands on them.

I'm no Tom House, but it looked to me as if Bortles' throwing motion is slow and inefficient, dropping the ball to his hip in a longer loop back to his shoulder to throw instead of keeping the ball high enabling a quicker release. This exacerbates getting the ball to his receivers in time, IMHO.

I did really like the toughness he showed -- he's not afraid to run and generally (at least against the Titans) chose his time to scramble well. And love seeing the QB lower the shoulder and be physical out in space. He had some good blocks out on the field as well, so at least there's that.

ETA: Actually found a good link that shows the difference in his throwing mechanics from last year to this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GipsySafety/status/791726658684235776/video/1

(RotoWire) Bortles spent more than half of the 2016 season playing through a slight separation in his right shoulder, ESPN.com reports. Furthermore, he dealt with tendinitis in his right wrist during the latter portion of the campaign.

Analysis: According to Bortles, he sustained a Grade 1 sprain to his right AC joint in Week 8 and aggravated the injury three games later, which marked the first mention of a shoulder concern during the season. However, after practicing fully to kick off Week 12 prep, Bortles sustained this activity level for the rest of the year. In a season in which he appeared to take a step back, especially when it came to his mechanics, these ailments may have been to blame. Nonetheless, he completed 59 percent of his passes for 3,905 yards while cobbling together a 23:16 TD:INT ratio in 16 contests.

Users who are viewing this thread