What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Bortles was the best in his class hands down. I can't see how he's going to get worse? The offense around him is very solid. Strongly considering using one of my two keeper spots on him for next season. He was a free agent so he will cost me a very low draft pick

Rk Age Year Lg Tm G W L T Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A1 Andrew Luck 25 2014 NFL CLT 13 9 4 0 337 544 61.95 4305 36 13 98.8 7.91 8.162 Dan Marino* 22 1984 NFL MIA 13 12 1 0 275 426 64.55 3870 36 12 110.2 9.08 9.513 Dan Marino* 24 1986 NFL MIA 13 6 7 0 299 497 60.16 3836 33 20 89.7 7.72 7.244 Brett Favre 25 1995 NFL GNB 13 9 4 0 288 462 62.34 3519 31 12 97.3 7.62 7.795 Blake Bortles 23 2015 NFL JAX 13 5 8 0 288 501 57.49 3524 30 13 88.4 7.03 7.066 M. Stafford 23 2011 NFL DET 13 8 5 0 327 516 63.37 3754 29 14 92.6 7.28 7.187 Derek Carr 24 2015 NFL RAI 13 6 7 0 283 455 62.20 3313 28 9 96.5 7.28 7.628 Peyton Manning 24 2000 NFL CLT 13 7 6 0 298 483 61.70 3792 28 14 93.5 7.85 7.719 Cam Newton 26 2015 NFL CAR 13 13 0 0 233 395 58.99 3062 28 10 96.6 7.75 8.0310 Carson Palmer 25 2005 NFL CIN 13 10 3 0 287 426 67.37 3242 27 8 103.2 7.61 8.0311 M. Stafford 25 2013 NFL DET 13 7 6 0 306 525 58.29 3976 27 14 88.2 7.57 7.40Most TD's by a QB 26 or younger through 13 games played.

Might get roasted for this, but Bortles is not that far off from Luck in his second year.
I own both of them and was looking at this earlier today too.

Luck 2014 - 380-616 (62%), 4761 yards (7.73 YPA), 40 TDs, plus 64-263-3 rushing, 22 total turnovers

If Bortles averages his same per game figures over the last 4 games, he'll end up at:

Bortles 2015 - 362-628 (58%), 4,365 yards (6.95 YPA), 36 TDs, plus 52-325-0 rushing, 20 total turnovers

People can draw their own conclusions based strictly on numbers.
For some reason, I see him more like Matt Stafford right now. If Bortles learns to protect the ball better, then he can take the next step. With his continued progress so far, I see no reason why he couldn't easily get into the top 10 dynasty QBs, maybe at #5-6. I own him in my dynasty league, so I'd love to see him be the equal of Luck. If he does bring down his turnovers, he does have a chance to become that level of QB. With the other skill position players he has, he has significant potential for great numbers for FFB. If JAX rebuilds that OL for him, that would be a signal to me that he is ready to take the next step higher in his career. Looking good so far, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, I see him more like Matt Stafford right now. If Bortles learns to protect the ball better, then he can take the next step. With his continued progress so far, I see no reason why he couldn't easily get into the top 10 dynasty QBs, maybe at #5-6. I own him in my dynasty league, so I'd love to see him be the equal of Luck. If he does bring down his turnovers, he does have a chance to become that level of QB. With the other skill position players he has, he has significant potential for great numbers for FFB. If JAX rebuilds that OL for him, that would be a signal to me that he is ready to take the next step higher in his career. Looking good so far, though.
In that list I posted above you'll see that Bortles, Stafford, and Cam were the only QB's under 60% completion rate. Bortles also had the lowest AY/A on the list.

My favorite part about owning him is when they complete a play and the receiver gets stopped inside the three. With other QB's, you're thinking "Aw man, now the RB is gonna vulture this." But not these Jags. Spread 'em out! We're throwing!

My favorite part about owning him is when they complete a play and the receiver gets stopped inside the three. With other QB's, you're thinking "Aw man, now the RB is gonna vulture this." But not these Jags. Spread 'em out! We're throwing!
Too bad we didn't get see what could have been with Blackmon starting opposite Robinson.

I think Stafford is a good comparison for him. This season feels like a mirage similar to Stafford's 2011. The mechanical flaws and poor decision making are often still apparent in Bortle's game much like they were in Stafford's.

I think Stafford is a good comparison for him. This season feels like a mirage similar to Stafford's 2011. The mechanical flaws and poor decision making are often still apparent in Bortle's game much like they were in Stafford's.
I don't mind a 23 year old QB who still has flaws to fix.

Whether he settles in as a QB1/QB2 type or a strong QB1 will depend on how well he develops. The one thing we've seen so far is that the Jags will do something to surround him with talent. They invested in WR, RB, and TE already, and they're an improved offensive line away from having one of the more potent offenses in the NFL.

Aside from Stafford and Marino on that list above, everyone else was anywhere from 1 to 3 years older than Bortles is right now. And that's a really important 1 to 3 years of development.

Stafford was 23 in 2011. :shrug:

He never really got better and didn't fix his flaws. The comparisons are many between the two of them.

Some guys just don't improve regardless of their age. Bortles' completion percentage and rating stand out pretty glaringly on the graph cstu posted. He's putting up fantasy points on volume and because Jacksonville refuses to run inside the 10.

He never really got better and didn't fix his flaws. The comparisons are many between the two of them.

Some guys just don't improve regardless of their age. Bortles' completion percentage and rating stand out pretty glaringly on the graph cstu posted. He's putting up fantasy points on volume and because Jacksonville refuses to run inside the 10.
Jagaurs run inside the 10. They don't run well. They refuse to spread out the formation when they run.

JaxBill said:
Grahamburn said:

Jagaurs run inside the 10. They don't run well. They refuse to spread out the formation when they run.
Olson really has no clue what will work because they've tried everything. Four straight dives to Gerhardt (R.I.P.) - denied. Three straight rushes to Denard - weeks later, still wondering WTF. Fades, crossing routes, whatever.

Statistically they're not terrible but the failures have been glaring. Not sure why they don't trust TJ down there, but it seems like they're doing pretty well when just run base plays out of the gun.

Grahamburn said:

Is your argument that because Stafford didn't develop more Bortles won't?

Is your argument that because Stafford didn't develop more Bortles won't?
No. It's just a counterpoint to the "He's young so he'll get better" argument. Not all guys get better simply because they're still young.

On paper the Falcon D seems pretty tough against the pass. I know Cam torched them last week. I have Bortles and Fitz and both have been great. I have been riding Bortles last few weeks, and initially thought the matchup was favorable. Now, I am slightly concerned. Is the Falcons D something to be concerned about for Bortles owners or are they benefitting from strong play early in the season?

On paper the Falcon D seems pretty tough against the pass. I know Cam torched them last week. I have Bortles and Fitz and both have been great. I have been riding Bortles last few weeks, and initially thought the matchup was favorable. Now, I am slightly concerned. Is the Falcons D something to be concerned about for Bortles owners or are they benefitting from strong play early in the season?
Take a gander at the QB's the Falcons have faced this year.

Might get roasted for this, but Bortles is not that far off from Luck in his second year.
I own both of them and was looking at this earlier today too.

Luck 2014 - 380-616 (62%), 4761 yards (7.73 YPA), 40 TDs, plus 64-263-3 rushing, 22 total turnovers

If Bortles averages his same per game figures over the last 4 games, he'll end up at:

Bortles 2015 - 362-628 (58%), 4,365 yards (6.95 YPA), 36 TDs, plus 52-325-0 rushing, 20 total turnovers

People can draw their own conclusions based strictly on numbers.
With 1 week to go...

Luck 2014 - 380-616 (62%), 4761 yards (7.7 YPA), 40 TDs, plus 64-263-3 rushing, 22 total turnovers

Bortles 2015 - 338 - 574 (59%), 4189 yards (7.3 YPA), 35 TDs, plus 53-310-2 rushing, 20 total turnovers

Numbers don't tell the whole story, but a strong game next week is going to make these numbers relatively close across the board.

Pretty interesting.

Just noticed the Yahoo experts posted their top 16 QBs for 2016.

I'd love to pick him up after 8 QBs are off the board.
Scott – 1) Ben Roethlisberger, 2) Andrew Luck, 3) Cam Newton, 4) Aaron Rodgers, 5) Russell Wilson, 6) Carson Palmer, 7) Tom Brady, 8) Drew Brees, 9) Andy Dalton, 10) Blake Bortles, 11) Tony Romo, 12) Derek Carr, 13) Matthew Stafford, 14) Kirk Cousins, 15) Eli Manning, 16) Marcus Mariota

Dalton – 1) Ben Roethlisberger 2) Aaron Rodgers 3) Andrew Luck 4) Cam Newton 5) Russell Wilson 6) Tom Brady 7) Carson Palmer 8) Drew Brees 9) Blake Bortles 10) Kirk Cousins 11) Andy Dalton 12) Derek Carr 13) Matthew Stafford 14) Philip Rivers 15) Eli Manning 16) Marcus Mariota

Brandon – 1) Cam Newton, 2) Aaron Rodgers, 3) Ben Roethlisberger, 4) Tom Brady, 5) Russell Wilson, 6) Blake Bortles, 7) Carson Palmer, 8) Andrew Luck, 9) Drew Brees, 10) Tony Romo, 11) Derek Carr, 12) Andy Dalton, 13) Eli Manning, 14) Philip Rivers, 15) Matt Ryan, 16) Kirk Cousins

Brad – 1) Cam Newton, 2) Andrew Luck, 3) Big Ben, 4) Aaron Rodgers, 5) Blake Bortles, 6) Tom Brady, 7) Carson Palmer, 8) Russell Wilson, 9) Drew Brees, 10) Jameis Winston, 11) Matthew Stafford, 12) Tony Romo, 13) Andy Dalton, 14) Marcus Mariota 15) Derek Carr, 16) Kirk Cousins

Andy – 1) Cam, 2) Ben, 3) Rodgers, 4) Luck, 5) Brady, 6) Russell, 7) Palmer, 8) Brees, 9) Bortles, 10) Dalton, 11) Stafford, 12) Carr, 13) Eli, 14) Jameis, 15) Cousins, 16) Mariota.

Liz – 1) Ben Roethlisberger, 2) Aaron Rodgers, 3) Russell Wilson, 4) Cam Newton, 5) Tom Brady, 6) Blake Bortles, 7) Drew Brees, 8) Andrew Luck, 9) Andy Dalton, 10) Matthew Stafford, 11) Derek Carr, 12) Carson Palmer, 13) Eli Manning, 14) Kirk Cousins, 15) Jameis Winston, 16) Marcus Mariota

After his 4th TD yesterday I was ready to get his name tattooed on my arm.
This was, what, about 90 minutes after he was dead to you?

;)

That 90 yarder to AR15 was one of the sweetest moments I have ever experienced in FF. I had Reed and DWill in the books so it was looking good, but damn that was fun to slam the door shut in one play.

;)

That 90 yarder to AR15 was one of the sweetest moments I have ever experienced in FF. I had Reed and DWill in the books so it was looking good, but damn that was fun to slam the door shut in one play.
:lol: His second interception put my laptop in serious jeopardy.

Not sure who man man crush is bigger on him or Jordan Reed.

;)

:lol: His second interception put my laptop in serious jeopardy.

Not sure who man man crush is bigger on him or Jordan Reed.
Funny, I nearly destroyed a dinner plate when he got picked off the second time. From 31 yds and 2 ints (-3 pts) to 360+ and 4 tds and a title in my local. Thanks also to Julio and Reed but Bortles was really my season savior.

A bad defense has been instrumental to Bortles as a very good ff QB.
To be fair, the same could be said about Luck in 2014. People had higher opinions of Luck beforehand, so they see what they want to see.

They had a bad defense in 2014 too, but if you watched him this year, there was a crystal clear improvement across the board. He has good mobility, a great arm, and one of the best young WRs in the game to throw to. Probably will have better chemistry with Thomas next year and maybe even a healthy Marqise Lee, too. The lack of a defense kept him relevant every week, but he was good for bigger reasons than that.

A bad defense has been instrumental to Bortles as a very good ff QB.
Doesn't matter, he's turned into a very good quarterback because he has the skill set, the physical attributes, and good coaching. Just as they are always behind is just as they weren't able to run without Yeldon, and Bortles has turned an undrafted WR (Hurns) into a budding star. The bad defense helps his fantasy standing but once he reduces his propensity for mistakes, he will become both an elite fantasy and IRL QB.

Don't think that he isn't going to be a slinger going forward though, he is one of those guys who tries to thread the needle a little too often. But while that leads to more picks, it also leads to long scoring plays and the ability to score a TD on every possession. He's a second year QB with a lot to learn, but this guy is just going to get better and better. Of the young QBs, and I'll say it once again, I like him and Winston best with Bridgewater 3rd. If Jax can address their D in the off-season and add some o-line help, look out.

Rotoworld:

Blake Bortles completed 17-of-32 passes for 239 yards, zero touchdowns and two interceptions in the Jaguars' 30-6, Week 17 loss to the Texans.

He also fumbled twice, losing one. Bortles' second pick was housed for a 27-yard score. It was a truly dreadful pass into double coverage. The game was easily the worst of Bortles' otherwise promising sophomore campaign. Bortles still has a long ways to go in the accuracy and awareness departments, but is a true playmaker, one who threw for a Jaguars record 4,428 yards and 35 touchdowns this season. Bortles could be in for some fantasy regression in 2016 — an astounding number of the Jaguars' TDs came through the air this season — but his receiver duo of Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns will help keep him locked in as a high-upside QB1.

Jan 3 - 4:32 PM

For those that watched the game-- then you saw that Joeckel was a huge problem today and, fair or not, that sort of thing falls directly on Bortles' prospects as a QB for '16.

It reminds us all of a weakness in his portfolio of pros and cons. For those that are Bortles buyers (and you probably should be), consider it a blessing in disguise. If he threw another 4 TDs today he would have ended the year on such a streak that we would have been solid as a Top 5 Q. Hopefully this game brings some doubts.

No quarterback had to shoulder more this year than Blake Bortles. Little ground support and shaky line play.
He can't hit the broadside of a barn and he soaked up all kinds of garbage time stats.
Looks like you are doing the same after the guy had one bad week. Keep going though, always good to have material to bump. :thumbup:
The Jags are down 2-3 scores before the end of the first quarter half the time. Then Bortles throws 50 times against soft defenses. Rinse/Repeat

No quarterback had to shoulder more this year than Blake Bortles. Little ground support and shaky line play.
Oh please. 2 great WRs. Great te. He's far from the only qb with a shaky line and poor run game. Most qbs would give anything for the 2 wrs and te bortles has to throw to.

Oh please. 2 great WRs. Great te. He's far from the only qb with a shaky line and poor run game. Most qbs would give anything for the 2 wrs and te bortles has to throw to.
Hearns was undrafted, Bortles makes him a lot better than he is. Robinson was a 2nd round pick, definitely a lot of talent there but he and Bortles play very well together. You think Julius Thomas is "great?" I think he's pretty good but he's not an exceptional talent. Yeldon provides the balance the team needs and we are still talking about a second year QB here. He's gotta a lot of things to work on but his ceiling is very high.

Users who are viewing this thread