What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blue Apron et al. (1 Viewer)

Rustoleum

Footballguy
My wife signed up for this a few weeks ago. Anybody else doing this or competitors? Neither one of us is a particularly accomplished cook, but I can follow directions and I’m all for anything that keeps her from getting fast food. We are  Doing 2 meals a week. Anybody have any favorites/dishes to avoid?

initial thoughts over the first 7 meals:

1. Lotta bok choy going on here so far. Not gonna lie,  didn”t even know what that was three weeks ago....

2. Along with bok choy, I seem to be cooking and slicing a lot of carrots too, mostly for filler purposes it seems.

3. Not sure I am comfortable just flushing the ooze from the freezer pack down the sink. What the hell is that stuff?

4.The recipes say 15-20 on them, but I am unclear if that is cook/prep time, or an estimate of how many pots, pans, dishes and plates I am going to use to feed 2 people.  Dish soap expenses are on the rise.

5. What was supposed to be a team effort seems to be me making dinner because  I can’t stand watching fresh ingredients rot in the fridge, but so far it has been enjoyable.

6.may need to install an olive oil spigot in the kitchen if we keep this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't do Blue Apron or any other service, but...

1. I like Bok Choy.  No one else in my family does.

2. Carrots are good...I guess it depends what you are "filling"

3. What does it say on the freezer pack?  Should have some identifying ingredient marker.  More than likely it is safe.

4. I got nothing

5. If you are enjoying it, keep it up.  Why would fresh ingredients be rotting?  How long you holding on to these meals?  You only get 2...are you only eat once per week?

6. You should do this regardless of whether you use a food service or not.

We tried “Hello Fresh” and “Home Chef”. We liked “Home Chef” better. Easier cooking directions/process (according to wife) and much better meal selection. The actual food for both seemed very good quality and fresh.

I don't do Blue Apron or any other service, but...

3. What does it say on the freezer pack?  

- no markings other than to let it thaw completely then run it down the sink.

5. If you are enjoying it, keep it up.  Why would fresh ingredients be rotting?  How long you holding on to these meals?  You only get 2...are you only eat once per week?

less than a week; the first box was three meals, and with two active high schoolers it was easy to put a couple off initially. We cut it to two, but after 3 or so days the bok choy wasn’t quite as crisp on one meal and I don’t like leaving ground beef/pork in the fridge for any longer, even if it is sealed better than what I would get at the store. Really though, I suspect if I didn’t just bust them out and cook them, none of it would get made at all.

When you cook/have cooked in the past, what are some of the things that y'all like to make?
Other than basic pasta  stuff, chili, or grilling in the summer, most things are heat and eat ( frozen chicken breast, potatoes, rice, etc.)or  something like a Zatarains jambalaya kit.

not enough fruits and vegetables for sure. I will eat them, but nobody else in the house really will so I end up not buying any at the store. (Trying to change that].

A while back I tried a free trial of one of the meal prep services and it wasn't for me.  I generally enjoy grocery shopping and I find that when I cook--I enjoy making enough food to where I have leftovers.  I don't like having to do a bunch of cleaning of dishes/pot+pans for just one meal.   If I want to learn a new recipe--there are soo many simple and easy to follow ones on the internet/youtube.  While I can totally see why some people would love being subscribed to services like this--it just didn't click for me.  

did it for a few months and liked it.  i stopped because i started traveling more for work.  i might pick it back up though.  i definitely eat healthier.

agree on the dishes.  my kitchen looks like a hurricane went through afterward.  and surprised how much i like bok choy.

Bouncing between Home Chef and Hello Fresh.  Hello Fresh seemed to use 2 pans.

Hello Fresh we vary between 2 person 3 meals and 4 person 2 meals if the daughter likes 2 of the choices.

Users who are viewing this thread