What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branch to Jets if grievance won next week (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
Personally, I can't see him winning the grievance...

If Deion Branch wins his grievance(s) filed against the Patriots next week, he would reportedly be traded to the New York Jets.Branch agreed to six-year contracts with both New York and Seattle late in the week, but the Jets were the only team that offered New England a pick. The Seahawks reportedly "got in the game late." Branch remains in limbo until a decision on the grievance has been made.Source: Boston Herald

what's the link? and what about the story that sea still wants branch? if they relaly want him can they offer their pick now or is it to late?

ne is so annoying. a bunch of pompous ***! they think they can win with anyone. i hope they go down in flames!

guess he doesnt care about winning
Yeah, the Jets are easily the favorite for the 1st pick in the 2007 dradt. Only problem is they only get 1 first rounder and they need a #1 QB, WR and RB. Scratch him right off the top 20 WR's if he goes there.

ne is so annoying. a bunch of pompous ***! they think they can win with anyone. i hope they go down in flames!
yeah it's really annoying when teams refuse to trade a player they want to keep. pompous ***es.
wrong. if they wanted their super bowl mvp they would pay him. if they thought he was so important they would show him the money. branch should leave.

yeah it's really annoying when teams refuse to trade a player they want to keep. pompous ***es.
wrong. if they wanted their super bowl mvp they would pay him. if they thought he was so important they would show him the money. branch should leave.
1. branch is under contract - he can't leave.2. they offered him a very big deal with $12 million in guarantees

They shouldn't be forced to trade someone without receiving what they consider fair compensation. I have yet to see anything confirming they have turned down a #1 pick from the Jets. I hear a lot of speculation but that could be complete bs. If they are low-balling with a second rounder then why should the Pats be forced to take it? I would be shocked if the Pats would turn down the Jets 07 #1 for Branch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jets offered a second per the NY Post this morning.

Branch reportedly was pissed because he believed it was a fair offer considering that Culpepper was traded for a second. Because he had the trade offer and a contract, he filed the grievance.

What the hell are you talking about? They offered over $6mil a year for a guy who has never had a 1000 yard season and never caught more than 5 touchdowns...

They shouldn't be forced to trade someone without receiving what they consider fair compensation. I have yet to see anything confirming they have turned down a #1 pick from the Jets. I hear a lot of speculation but that could be complete bs. If they are low-balling with a second rounder then why should the Pats be forced to take it? I would be shocked if the Pats would turn down the Jets 07 #1 for Branch.
I'd be shocked if the Jets actually offered their #1 for Branch. That's gonna be a pretty high pick IMO. Branch is a nice WR but just isn't worth it.

Yeah, the Jets are easily the favorite for the 1st pick in the 2007 dradt. Only problem is they only get 1 first rounder and they need a #1 QB, WR and RB. Scratch him right off the top 20 WR's if he goes there.
LMAO! just show up and admit what an idiot you are when they win 6 to 7 games. GB, Houston, SF, Tenn... are all MUCH more likely to pick at 1 next year. They took a QB... second rounder... his name is Kellen Clemens. Assinine post.PS: I'm guessing the Jets are praying that the grievance is denied.... they were just jacking up the cost of signing Branch.

The Jets 2nd round pick should be a fairly high one.

If that is what they offered the Pats should take it and be done with this nonsense. What a distraction for them.

Patoons said:
Jets offered a second per the NY Post this morning.Branch reportedly was pissed because he believed it was a fair offer considering that Culpepper was traded for a second. Because he had the trade offer and a contract, he filed the grievance.
So what?, the Cowboys gave up 2-#1's for Galloway. Past trades don't mean sheit. If he considers himself a top 10 wr and wants to be payed like one then the compensation should be a first round pick. When the Jets want to give up the first rounder then the deal will get done. His grievance won't hold water. I suggest Branch go whine to them about how they are'nt valuing his services enough to give it up.

FreeBaGeL said:
GOroute said:
JetsWillWin said:
GOroute said:
What the hell are you talking about? They offered over $6mil a year for a guy who has never had a 1000 yard season and never caught more than 5 touchdowns...
This is kind of my thinking. Branch is not THAT good, folks. He's alright, and Brady likes him. But he's in an offense that spreads the ball a ton. He would never be a top 5 or 10 WR in that offense. He had a tremendous game in that Super Bowl he won the MVP. Kudos to him. But he's wanting top WR-like money, and he's not worth it IMO. Apparently NE feels the same way, or at least want him to finish out his current contract and then work on a new one. They are miles apart though in what NE values him at, and what he thinks he's worth.It's a matter of business. Let him go, I say. Get the 2nd rounder, and move on. For NE to think they could get two, or even ONE 1st rounder for Branch is just ridiculous...

FreeBaGeL said:
GOroute said:
JetsWillWin said:
GOroute said:
no one will have huge #'s in that offense. you cant compare branch's #'s with a wr like chambers as he gets the ball all day. and yeah, that super bowl mvp doesnt mean anything. those darn things are such a waste!

Patoons said:
Jets offered a second per the NY Post this morning.Branch reportedly was pissed because he believed it was a fair offer considering that Culpepper was traded for a second. Because he had the trade offer and a contract, he filed the grievance.
So what?, the Cowboys gave up 2-#1's for Galloway. Past trades don't mean sheit. If he considers himself a top 10 wr and wants to be payed like one then the compensation should be a first round pick. When the Jets want to give up the first rounder then the deal will get done. His grievance won't hold water. I suggest Branch go whine to them about how they are'nt valuing his services enough to give it up.
Problem was that the Pats said that all that needed to be done was for the Pats to find a deal that was at fair value or close to what other recent trades valued similar players at. This is considered to be so.. I guess that's what the response to the grievance is going to determine.No way the Jets give a first rounder. Not the right thing to do when rebuilding.Jets already offered 6 yr $39 million deal with $13 million guarranteed. That's a decent deal to show how they value him. Personally, I think he's a product of the system and not worth that.

Biabreakable said:
The Jets 2nd round pick should be a fairly high one. If that is what they offered the Pats should take it and be done with this nonsense. What a distraction for them.
That's where the Pats are different than other teams as malcontents hold almost no leverage with the veterans on the team. They will stick to what they believe is market value, especially to a team within the division. They are'nt desperate like Minny was with C-Pep as Branch has zero chance of rocking the boat. As a Pats fan I'm very happy how they've handled it so far and I honestly think they offered him more than he's worth. When the Pats are winning without him he'll be thrown into obscurity.

Patoons said:
Problem was that the Pats said that all that needed to be done was for the Pats to find a deal that was at fair value or close to what other recent trades valued similar players at. This is considered to be so.. I guess that's what the response to the grievance is going to determine.No way the Jets give a first rounder. Not the right thing to do when rebuilding.Jets already offered 6 yr $39 million deal with $13 million guarranteed. That's a decent deal to show how they value him. Personally, I think he's a product of the system and not worth that.
I agree, if I were the Pats I'd take the second and run. The only problem is he's seeking to be payed like a #1 wr and typically #1 wr's (Galloway, Moss) demand a first rounder as compensation. That's where his arguement will fail as he can't have it both ways.

FreeBaGeL said:
GOroute said:
JetsWillWin said:
GOroute said:
no one will have huge #'s in that offense. you cant compare branch's #'s with a wr like chambers as he gets the ball all day. and yeah, that super bowl mvp doesnt mean anything. those darn things are such a waste!
Unfortunately for Branch #'s are exactly what translates into $$. No one gives a crap about Brady spreading the ball around and his SB MVP may look great on the mantle but it won't drive up his salary much. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is the #'s. Add to that his history of missing games due to injuries. Production means everything.

Patoons said:
I agree, if I were the Pats I'd take the second and run. The only problem is he's seeking to be payed like a #1 wr and typically #1 wr's (Galloway, Moss) demand a first rounder as compensation. That's where his arguement will fail as he can't have it both ways.
I'm not sure how the money offered to Branch should set the compensation. Javon Walker has a contract that will make him the 3rd-richest WR in the game, but he was traded for a 2nd. Daunte Culpepper went for a 2nd. It's also hard to judge these things without knowing the structure of the contracts. Nate Burleson has a 7-year $49 million deal, but iirc, only about $5 million is guaranteed, and the total years and numbers were just structured so they would add up to the same as the Hutchinson contract that the Vikes signed. I don't understand how the Pats say they want 2 first rounders to the league, but tell Branch they won't pay him like even one first rounder. When the Raiders put out word that they were willing to trade Porter for two first-rounders, and stuck to it, everyone understood that they had no interest in actually trading Porter.

Jets only offered the 2nd they received from Washington.
This is correct. Which is one of several arguments for why the Patriots might not believe this was a reasonable trade offer. By the way, what kind of message is New York sending to their fans when they say, no way, we won't trade our #2 pick. We don't expect to do nearly as well as the Washington Redskins.

...By the way, what kind of message is New York sending to their fans when they say, no way, we won't trade our #2 pick. We don't expect to do nearly as well as the Washington Redskins.
They are sending the message that they can make well-informed decisions? :)

Deion Branch Super Bowl MVP = Larry Brown Super Bowl MVP.

Just don't see where all the love is warranted. Nice receiver, sure, but not highest paid territory. Not even close, IMO.

ETA: How can he possibly win this case????????

FreeBaGeL said:
GOroute said:
JetsWillWin said:
GOroute said:
Unfortunately for Branch #'s are exactly what translates into $$. No one gives a crap about Brady spreading the ball around and his SB MVP may look great on the mantle but it won't drive up his salary much. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is the #'s. Add to that his history of missing games due to injuries. Production means everything.
if this were true randle-el wouldn't have gotten such a big contract... teams pay what they think a player is worth all the time...if team like jets view him as an upgrade they could (& it sounds like did) offer him more money (by several measures... overall value, guaranteed money)... they evidently value him more than the pats... they don't think he is a product of the system... they are putting their money where their mouth is, & are offering to pay him like they think he can be a difference maker...NE created a monster by letting him test the market... they probably thought like many others here that he wouldn't get what he was looking for... he did... now he might be even more ticked off than he was before... if he holds out for 10 games & than is off the team next year, they may be wishing they took the jets (possibly) high second in 07...i suppose they could slap franchise tag on him... but has any team ever done that to a player who sat out 10 games previous year... galloway & mccardell ended up being holdouts, but they ended up getting traded before following season...

FreeBaGeL said:
GOroute said:
JetsWillWin said:
GOroute said:
if this were true randle-el wouldn't have gotten such a big contract... teams pay what they think a player is worth all the time...if team like jets view him as an upgrade they could (& it sounds like did) offer him more money (by several measures... overall value, guaranteed money)... they evidently value him more than the pats... they don't think he is a product of the system... they are putting their money where their mouth is, & are offering to pay him like they think he can be a difference maker...NE created a monster by letting him test the market... they probably thought like many others here that he wouldn't get what he was looking for... he did... now he might be even more ticked off than he was before... if he holds out for 10 games & than is off the team next year, they may be wishing they took the jets (possibly) high second in 07...i suppose they could slap franchise tag on him... but has any team ever done that to a player who sat out 10 games previous year... galloway & mccardell ended up being holdouts, but they ended up getting traded before following season...
the jets value him more but he's still property of the pats. if they don't like the compensation given - they shouldn't have to deal him. branch is overplaying his hand here and it looks like he is losing leverage (i don't buy the report that the grievance decision will force a trade)

JetsWillWin said:
GOroute said:
JetsWillWin said:
GOroute said:
1. branch is under contract - he can't leave.2. they offered him a very big deal with $12 million in guarantees
You NE people kill me.

Biabreakable said:
The Jets 2nd round pick should be a fairly high one. If that is what they offered the Pats should take it and be done with this nonsense. What a distraction for them.
That's where the Pats are different than other teams as malcontents hold almost no leverage with the veterans on the team. They will stick to what they believe is market value, especially to a team within the division. They are'nt desperate like Minny was with C-Pep as Branch has zero chance of rocking the boat. As a Pats fan I'm very happy how they've handled it so far and I honestly think they offered him more than he's worth. When the Pats are winning without him he'll be thrown into obscurity.
The Pats will be lucky to be 8-8 without Branch.

Biabreakable said:
Agreed. NE would return only 43.2% of its receiving yards from last year, by far the worst in the league. And the other teams at the bottom are SF and HOU. Losing 2400 receiving yards -- and just as importantly, failing to adequately replace those yards -- is going to really hurt New England.

Jets only offered the 2nd they received from Washington.
This is correct. Which is one of several arguments for why the Patriots might not believe this was a reasonable trade offer. By the way, what kind of message is New York sending to their fans when they say, no way, we won't trade our #2 pick. We don't expect to do nearly as well as the Washington Redskins.
Are you suggesting that you think the Jets should deal their own, likely higher #2 instead of the Redskins #2 to raise fan morale? :confused:
FreeBaGeL said:
GOroute said:
JetsWillWin said:
GOroute said:
the jets value him more but he's still property of the pats. if they don't like the compensation given - they shouldn't have to deal him. branch is overplaying his hand here and it looks like he is losing leverage (i don't buy the report that the grievance decision will force a trade)
Normally, I'd agree with you. The issue at question is whether the Patriots made an enforceable agreement to deal Branch if he could find a team that would offer dair compensation. If such a deal existed, and if the pick offered by the Jets is deemed reasonable compensation, Branch would win his grievance, and the Pats would be compelled to deal Branch to the Jets, assuming that they were still willing.It's not a very good case though. While a 2nd rounder is at least in the neighborhood of reasonable compensation, I think an arbitrator might be inclined to agree that you need to get more than a 2nd rounder if you're dealing the player to a division rival, even if he agrees to every single one of Branch's other arguments. The purpose of filing the grievance is to continue to press the Pats to complete a trade and eliminate this distraction. The Pats obviosuly feel the same way, or they would not have traded for Gabriel. I expect that the next week will bring some more negotiations with the Jets and/or the Seahawks, and a deal before the grievance hearing.

Biabreakable said:
Making a mental note of your name... :lmao:

Normally, I'd agree with you. The issue at question is whether the Patriots made an enforceable agreement to deal Branch if he could find a team that would offer dair compensation. If such a deal existed, and if the pick offered by the Jets is deemed reasonable compensation, Branch would win his grievance, and the Pats would be compelled to deal Branch to the Jets, assuming that they were still willing.It's not a very good case though. While a 2nd rounder is at least in the neighborhood of reasonable compensation, I think an arbitrator might be inclined to agree that you need to get more than a 2nd rounder if you're dealing the player to a division rival, even if he agrees to every single one of Branch's other arguments. The purpose of filing the grievance is to continue to press the Pats to complete a trade and eliminate this distraction. The Pats obviosuly feel the same way, or they would not have traded for Gabriel. I expect that the next week will bring some more negotiations with the Jets and/or the Seahawks, and a deal before the grievance hearing.
I'm just wondering what constitutes a legally binding agreement by the Pats. If they just said, "You have a week to shop around and then we'll deal you." Is that enough? Or did they have to specify compensation? Without specifications, I don't think Branch is going to win this.Considering that the Pats have been holding out for a 1st, I don't think a 2nd will get it done.

Biabreakable said:
Making a mental note of your name... :lmao:
Take a screenshot of it.

And of course the real irony in all of this is that Deion Branch hired the same lawyer who successfully got Bill Belichick out of his Jets contract.

Rovers said:
lod2005 said:
delusional said:
LMAO! just show up and admit what an idiot you are when they win 6 to 7 games. GB, Houston, SF, Tenn... are all MUCH more likely to pick at 1 next year. They took a QB... second rounder... his name is Kellen Clemens. Assinine post.PS: I'm guessing the Jets are praying that the grievance is denied.... they were just jacking up the cost of signing Branch.
Are you saying that if the Jets have the #1 pick in 2007 AND Brady Quinn has the season many people envision he'll have this year that the Jets wouldn't take Quinn with that #1 pick?

Rovers said:
lod2005 said:
delusional said:
Are you saying that if the Jets have the #1 pick in 2007 AND Brady Quinn has the season many people envision he'll have this year that the Jets wouldn't take Quinn with that #1 pick?
Doubt severely that the JEts will have the #1 pick but as a Jet fan - if the current regime likes what they saw so far in Clemens I can see them pulling off an Eli type trade to bring in an influx of high picks - draft a stud RB in the top 5 and go with Clemens in 07.

Rovers said:
lod2005 said:
delusional said:
At this point, Adrian Peterson is looking like a better bet to be a better pro the Quinn, even though it is difficult to determine what the future holds.

It'd be nice if we stopped hearing about what a fair deal the Pats offered.

Apparently it wasn't, because Branch didn't agree to it, and two other teams offered him a better deal. And he found those two deals in a week, right before the season started. When teams are supposed to not have any money, and it's tough to find a contract. Yet Branch went out 10 days before the season started, and found two teams willing to give him a deal he liked, AND trade a pick for him. It makes me wonder what kind of offer he he may get after this season, if he was on the open market. So I fail to see how a 3 year extension (a straight up insult), or a 6 year, back-loaded contract is fair.

This greviance is crap, and I bet Branch knows it is, or at least knows he has little chance of winning it. But winning the greviance is a red herring. Branch and Chayut know they won't win. The Pats have to go before the arbitrator, and explain that they need to have a "fair and reasonable" deal for Branch. And then explain how a 2nd round pick wasn't "fair and reasonable". They basically have to go before an arbitrator and explain how great Branch is, anything less that a 1st rounder+ is an insult, etc.

Filing this greviance may also get the Pats back to the negotiating table. It tells them that Branch isn't gcaving in anytime soon, and has every intention of showing up week 11.

It'd be nice if we stopped hearing about what a fair deal the Pats offered.Apparently it wasn't, because Branch didn't agree to it, and two other teams offered him a better deal. And he found those two deals in a week, right before the season started. When teams are supposed to not have any money, and it's tough to find a contract. Yet Branch went out 10 days before the season started, and found two teams willing to give him a deal he liked, AND trade a pick for him. It makes me wonder what kind of offer he he may get after this season, if he was on the open market. So I fail to see how a 3 year extension (a straight up insult), or a 6 year, back-loaded contract is fair.This greviance is crap, and I bet Branch knows it is, or at least knows he has little chance of winning it. But winning the greviance is a red herring. Branch and Chayut know they won't win. The Pats have to go before the arbitrator, and explain that they need to have a "fair and reasonable" deal for Branch. And then explain how a 2nd round pick wasn't "fair and reasonable". They basically have to go before an arbitrator and explain how great Branch is, anything less that a 1st rounder+ is an insult, etc.Filing this greviance may also get the Pats back to the negotiating table. It tells them that Branch isn't gcaving in anytime soon, and has every intention of showing up week 11.
So would it have been better on the Patriots' part to not offer him a contract extension at all?People seem to forget that he is NOT on th eopen market - he is under contract. I think it's ridiculous to say that a 4 year, $24 million with $12 in gaurantees is "an insult". It's a business decision. If he thinks he can get so much more, he can reject the offer and wait for free agency in two years (for he will surely be franchised next season).I also think it's laughable that because he can get the Jets to throw a bunch of money at him, that the Patriots are somehow obligated to trade him. Give me a break. The guy is under contract, and these are the rules.

It'd be nice if we stopped hearing about what a fair deal the Pats offered.Apparently it wasn't, because Branch didn't agree to it, and two other teams offered him a better deal. And he found those two deals in a week, right before the season started. When teams are supposed to not have any money, and it's tough to find a contract. Yet Branch went out 10 days before the season started, and found two teams willing to give him a deal he liked, AND trade a pick for him. It makes me wonder what kind of offer he he may get after this season, if he was on the open market. So I fail to see how a 3 year extension (a straight up insult), or a 6 year, back-loaded contract is fair.This greviance is crap, and I bet Branch knows it is, or at least knows he has little chance of winning it. But winning the greviance is a red herring. Branch and Chayut know they won't win. The Pats have to go before the arbitrator, and explain that they need to have a "fair and reasonable" deal for Branch. And then explain how a 2nd round pick wasn't "fair and reasonable". They basically have to go before an arbitrator and explain how great Branch is, anything less that a 1st rounder+ is an insult, etc.Filing this greviance may also get the Pats back to the negotiating table. It tells them that Branch isn't gcaving in anytime soon, and has every intention of showing up week 11.
So would it have been better on the Patriots' part to not offer him a contract extension at all?
Don't put words in my mouth. What the Jets offered showed that that first offer was a joke. Why Branch chose to not come back with a counter, I couldn't tell you. Maybe they thought they were so far apart, that it wasn't worth it. I have no idea.

I also think it's laughable that because he can get the Jets to throw a bunch of money at him, that the Patriots are somehow obligated to trade him. Give me a break. The guy is under contract, and these are the rules.
No one except Chayut is saying that the Pats should be obligated to trade him. You need to get past that, because Chayut has to know that no one is going to force the Pats to trade him. They filed that greviance because they are covering all their bases. They know they won't win.

Seahawks activated WR Darrell Jackson (knee) from active/PUP.

Seattle's interest in Deion Branch shows their not sold on Jackson being ready for the season. ESPN's John Clayton reports it would be the Seahawks, not the Jets, who would likely make the boldest offer to acquire Branch if he is to be dealt. Jackson will try to practice this week.

Source: ESPN Insider

Biabreakable said:
Agreed. NE would return only 43.2% of its receiving yards from last year, by far the worst in the league. And the other teams at the bottom are SF and HOU. Losing 2400 receiving yards -- and just as importantly, failing to adequately replace those yards -- is going to really hurt New England.
And just how do you know that the Pats have'nt found suitable replacements to get those yards? You do realize our running game which sucked last year should be a lot more potent. And Watson is now emerging, Jackson, when he gets on the field has a higher ceiling than either Branch or Givens as well as adding Gabriel. I guess we might as well say the Colts are screwed too as they lost 90% of their running game and have no way to replace it. Brady makes average recievers look good, and good wr's look great. The passing game doesn't worry me in the least. If you want to pick at weak spots for the Pats at least address some that exist like the LB spot. That's the real concern going into 06. Brady will once again be a top 10, possibly top 5 passing qb so I don't think your arguement is very valid. Are you telling me you think the Pats passing offense will be ranked outside the top 10?

I've heard that part of Branch's grievance is that NE didn't offer a counter offer to the Jets, and that shows they weren't negotiating in "good faith", which is a pretty weak argument.

The other thing that I don't understand is that supposedly, Branch would've played out the last year of the deal if NE would've signed an agreement not to franchise him next year. If they have no intention of trading him or paying him what he's worth, why not just sign that and get the this dirt cheap and then be done?

Don't put words in my mouth. What the Jets offered showed that that first offer was a joke. Why Branch chose to not come back with a counter, I couldn't tell you. Maybe they thought they were so far apart, that it wasn't worth it. I have no idea.
so in the NFL, you think that a 6 year deal at $36 is much different than a 4 year deal at $24? you think the difference is "insulting"?So would it have been better on the Patriots' part to not offer him a contract extension at all?

Users who are viewing this thread