What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Lloyd a Redskin? (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
49ers | Nearing deal for Lloyd

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:18:36 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Washington Redskins and San Francisco 49ers are nearing a deal that would have the Redskins sending a 2006 third-round pick and a 2007 fourth-round selection to the 49ers for WR Brandon Lloyd. Pending a physical, the deal should be completed before the end of the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
49ers | Nearing deal for Lloyd

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:18:36 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Washington Redskins and San Francisco 49ers are nearing a deal that would have the Redskins sending a 2006 third-round pick and a 2007 fourth-round selection to the 49ers for WR Brandon Lloyd. Pending a physical, the deal should be completed before the end of the weekend.
I really like Lloyd. Good pickup for the Skins.

why would the 49ers give up their best offensive skill player?
For a third and a forth no less. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
That seems like a pretty good price for Lloyd. He has had problems with the new staff & really wasn't anything more than a #2 receiver with potential. Makes the circus catch on a regular bases, but doesn't have the speed or consistency to be a legit #1. A #3 & #4 is good quality for him if it is true.

That seems like a pretty good price for Lloyd. He has had problems with the new staff & really wasn't anything more than a #2 receiver with potential. Makes the circus catch on a regular bases, but doesn't have the speed or consistency to be a legit #1. A #3 & #4 is good quality for him if it is true.
OMG. Arnaz Battle is now their #1. It's going to be a long year for Alex Smith.

OMG. Arnaz Battle is now their #1. It's going to be a long year for Alex Smith.
:yes: They've got to be going Vernon Davis with their pick and hope they get Moss in the 2nd.

Their offense is frightening right now. The available WR's are no better than Lloyd is, so I have no clue what they're thinking (assume that organization does in fact think).

49ers need to sign a free agent WR this year about as badly as the Bears did last year when they brought in Muhammad.

The 2006 9'er offense could go down as one of the worst in NFL history. Should be exciting to see how pathetic this team will be.

Team pursues Givens; Lloyd to visit Redskins

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 11:44:39 PT - Print it

Source: 49erswebzone.com

According to the Boston Herald, the San Francisco 49ers have spoken with wide receiver David Givens' agent regarding the possible signing of the former New England Patriot. No visit to the team has been scheduled.

Givens' best statistical year was 2004 where he amassed 874 yards on 56 catches (15.6 YPC) and 3 touchdowns. Last season he had 738 yards on 59 catches (12.5 YPC) and 2 touchdowns.

This would help the team should current 49ers wide receiver Brandon Lloyd be traded to the Washington Redskins. Lloyd is scheduled to meet with the Redskins on Sunday, March 12th. Reports are coming in that te Redskins have already offered Lloyd $10 million up front. While the 49ers should receive a first round pick for Lloyd, should he sign elsewhere, there is news that a trade may be in the works. Reports have said anything from 2 second rounders to a 3rd this year and a 4th next year.

Lloyd has angered many players on the 49ers. The following is from the San Francisco Chronicle:

Defensive players particularly found him unsavory and a few of the defensive leaders, during a meeting between Nolan and selected veterans, told Nolan the locker room would be better off without Lloyd. Lloyd also alienated teammates when he refused to take any blame after backing off a pass at the goal line in the 17-9 loss to the Bears in Chicago in November. Lloyd repeatedly said quarterback Cody Pickett "threw the ball too early."

The Redskins are also pursuing 49ers linebacker Andre Carter and he will visit with the team today. While the Redskins have admitted to be interested in linebacker Julian Peterson as well, according to the Washington Post, they have stated that they will not be a major player in the race to sign the free agent.

Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports the San Francisco 49ers have spoken with agent Brad Blank about free agent WR David Givens (Patriots), but a visit has yet to be arranged.

Several signs point to Lloyd departure

Kevin Lynch, Chronicle Staff Writer

A number of questions persist around the 49ers complex as the long-awaited free-agent market opens:

-- Will wide receiver Brandon Lloyd be shipped off to Washington?

-- Who will the team pursue in free agency?

-- What are the chances of retaining players such as fullback Fred Beasley, defensive end Andre Carter and linebacker Julian Peterson now that they are going to be free agents?

On the plus side, the team is expected to re-sign kicker Joe Nedney today.

Beyond that, the Redskins are reportedly interested in trading for Lloyd, who led the 49ers in receptions last year. A source close to Lloyd said Washington was prepared to offer a third-round choice this season and a fourth rounder in next year's draft. Lloyd, who apparently has been secretly seeking a trade, expected the deal to be completed.

A team spokesman said that coach Mike Nolan hasn't heard anything from the Redskins. Teams were prohibited from talking trade or from talking to another team's free agents until 9:01 p.m. PST Friday, when free agency officially opened.

Lloyd caught 48 passes for 732 yards and five touchdowns during a down year for the 49ers' offense. However, his abrasive personality angered many players. Defensive players particularly found him unsavory and a few of the defensive leaders, during a meeting between Nolan and selected veterans, told Nolan the locker room would be better off without Lloyd. Lloyd also alienated teammates when he refused to take any blame after backing off a pass at the goal line in the 17-9 loss to the Bears in Chicago in November. Lloyd repeatedly said quarterback Cody Pickett "threw the ball too early."

Nolan told the media "no one is above the rest of the team" when asked about Lloyd's comments the next day. Nolan had two private meetings with Lloyd that week.

Lloyd has told others he didn't like being called out in front of the team and didn't consider himself a "Nolan guy."

If the trade is completed, the 49ers would be acutely thin at wide receiver, a position they hoped to bolster through free agency. A Lloyd trade could increase the team's interest in a free agent such as Steeler Antwaan Randle El.

Defensive end Carter will reportedly draw interest from the Redskins, the 49ers expect someone to make a large offer for Peterson that they would be unwilling to match and Beasley doesn't want to come back because of his poor relationship with running backs coach Bishop Harris.

I would think that this increases the value of Battle trmendously. Even with Smith at QB, this move by SF would show faith in Arnaz.

The rumor I have heard is that Battle is recruiting Givens pretty hard. They were teammates at ND...

Niners trade disgruntled WR Lloyd to Redskins for draft picks

GREG BEACHAM

3/11/2006

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The San Francisco 49ers traded leading receiver Brandon Lloyd to Washington on Saturday for the Redskins' third-round pick this year and their fourth-round selection in 2007.

Lloyd was a restricted free agent for the 49ers, who drafted him in the third round three years ago. He was San Francisco's top receiver last season, catching 48 passes for 733 yards and five touchdowns, but alienated teammates and clashed with the coaching staff.

San Francisco signed Lloyd to an offer sheet earlier in the month, but Lloyd seemed eager to leave town - and Washington seems enamored with his highlight-reel skills. He was scheduled to visit the Redskins' training complex Sunday.

Though Lloyd made countless eye-popping catches during his three years with San Francisco, he also made a series of memorable drops and mistakes. Lloyd drew criticism from hard-nosed teammates such as Fred Beasley and Kevan Barlow for his flashy jewelry - and his aspirations to become a rapper in his spare time.

Lloyd caught 105 passes for 1,510 yards and 13 touchdowns in his three seasons with San Francisco. He also caught rookie quarterback Alex Smith's only touchdown pass of the season in the 49ers' season-ending win over Houston.

The 49ers already released receiver Johnnie Morton earlier in the offseason, leaving oft-injured Arnaz Battle as their most experienced receiver. They're expected to go after free agents, including Pittsburgh's Antwaan Randle-El, and seek more receiving help in next month's draft.

http://www.ap.org

As a niner fan, THEY better sign Givens or Randle El. They have the cap room to sign one of those two. They also have the cap to sign Peterson and Carter.

If Lloyd is indeed an issue this is a smart move. No use keeping him around if his teammates don't want him there. He's a nice player but by no means is he some stud that should be causing waves. San Fran is a very young team that needs direction and the last thing they need is lockerroom issues. Getting a #3 and a #4 is a solid haul if you really don't want him around. It gives you more draft flexibility which is not a bad thing in their current situation.

That being said San Fran better get Smith some weapons because right now their skill position players are severly lacking. As currently constructed this is not a good situation to groom a young QB.

Yeah. Nice move by the Redskins.

MAN are the 49ers going to suck out loud in 2006... Not going after Peterson or Plummer on the defensive side, then trading off Lloyd? Eeesh... :loco:

I've actually been extremely impressed whenever I've seen Arnaz Battle play. I'd even venture to say he could be a low-grade Anquan Boldin. He's a playmaker with some great moves.

QB Campbell

RB Portis

TE Cooley

WR Moss

WR LLoyd

probably your FFL look of the O when they win another bowl

Two days ago nobody knew this was coming. Good move by the Skins. Lloyd is only 24 and will be surrounded by a pretty good coaching staff and a pretty unified team. They certainly need a WR2, and the price was not bad at all.

Tremendous move by the Skins. I liked the future of the offense quite a bit before the Lloyd acquisition. The only bump in the road (and a big one at that) is the transition from Brunell to Campbell (and making it at the right time).

QB Campbell

RB Portis

TE Cooley

WR Moss

WR LLoyd

:lmao:
I have no idea WTF that line means, but you have to like the potential there.OL is strong.

One of the best RBs.

Two speedy, good WRs.

The TE is the red zone threat.

Campell is set up for success. :)

Oh, and don't forget AL SAUNDERS. Oh to be a Redskin fan right now. FWIW, I like the team (not a fave, but I like it) only because their RT torched my high school with about 600 yards and 8 TDs my junior year.

Tremendous move by the Skins. I liked the future of the offense quite a bit before the Lloyd acquisition. The only bump in the road (and a big one at that) is the transition from Brunell to Campbell (and making it at the right time).
I'd say they make that transition before the season.

QB Campbell

RB Portis

TE Cooley

WR Moss

WR LLoyd

They won't win next year, but they'll win the NFC :nerd: Very solid pickup for Washington. Classic buy low sell high.

QB Campbell

RB Portis

TE Cooley

WR Moss

WR LLoyd

I have no idea WTF that line means, but you have to like the potential there.OL is strong.

One of the best RBs.

Two speedy, good WRs.

Oh, and don't forget AL SAUNDERS. Oh to be a Redskin fan right now. FWIW, I like the team (not a fave, but I like it) only because their RT torched my high school with about 600 yards and 8 TDs my junior year.
Jon Jansen lit your team up for that?

The neat thing about this deal is that Ladell Betts, Portis's backup, and Lloyd went to the same HS in suburban KC (Blue Springs HS) and i played against both of them...I belive they overlapped two seasons......oh and yes those teams were unbelieveably good.

Dont know if Betts had anything to do with this deal (probably not), but having two guys who played together in HS on the same team is cool.

The neat thing about this deal is that Ladell Betts, Portis's backup, and Lloyd went to the same HS in suburban KC (Blue Springs HS) and i played against both of them...I belive they overlapped two seasons......oh and yes those teams were unbelieveably good.

Dont know if Betts had anything to do with this deal (probably not), but having two guys who played together in HS on the same team is cool.
interesante

Same reason they shipped T.O. out. Although not to the same extreme, Lloyd has some conduct problems.
Not as bad as TO. I cant beleive they gave him up for so cheap.
TO=arguably best WR at the timeLloyd=a handful of highlight reel catches

Hardly comparable.

I would hope(not sure if true but hope) Alex Smith is their best skill position player.

QB Campbell

RB Portis

TE Cooley

WR Moss

WR LLoyd

One of the best RBs.

Two speedy, good WRs.

Jon Jansen lit your team up for that?
:yes: He was a stud TE for Clawson, Michigan in a very weak conference.(I exagerated, but he single handedly destroyed our team)

As a 49er fan, this pisses me off.

They deserve to have 3 or 4 more losing seasons.
That sounds like a homer. :rolleyes: Seriously, I was very surprised by this move but I don't know it was a bad one for either team.

As a 49er fan, this pisses me off.

They deserve to have 3 or 4 more losing seasons.
That sounds like a homer. :rolleyes: Seriously, I was very surprised by this move but I don't know it was a bad one for either team.
Good post. I like it better for Washington, but if Lloyd was starting to be a locker room problem, why not get something for him before he gets out of control?I give NFL coaches deferance on these matters. As a general rule, they probably know more than we do about this stuff.

I would think that this increases the value of Battle trmendously.  Even with Smith at QB, this move by SF would show faith in Arnaz.
Agreed. They already re-signed Battle to a not insignificant contract , despite his injuries this year. I think Nolan really likes him - he's got a little bit of a Hines Ward mentality in him.I'm not saying Battle will turn out anywhere like Ward, but if Arnaz stays healthy, I think he might surprise on the upside.

Why did this thread turn into a 49ers thread? Very simply you avoid the 49ers because they have no value for your team (at least next year). My biggest question is what is the value of Campbell if he starts and what is the value of Lloyd as a #2 with Brunell or Campbell?

Users who are viewing this thread