What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Braylon Edwards (1 Viewer)

hooptd

Footballguy
How many receivers in the NFL have returned from a similiar injury and either been a star or at least an above average receiver? I know he isn't expected to back to full effect until '07' but even then, what is the prospect of him being special?

How many receivers in the NFL have returned from a similiar injury and either been a star or at least an above average receiver? I know he isn't expected to back to full effect until '07' but even then, what is the prospect of him being special?
i honestly don't know, but i'd say he's got a much better chance than his 'teamate,' kellen winslow, jr.why they haven't cut him is beyond me.

One WR that has come back from an ACL is Rice - in the same year no less. He did get banged up again when he came back though, so he may have rushed it. He was pretty old when it happened.Lee Evans tore an ACL in college and he seems like he recovered all of his speed and is a good prospect.Compared to RB's, it isn't all that common of an injury in WR's. How many top WR's do you actually remember tearing their ACL's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Braylon Edwards tore his ACL late in 2005.He probably doesn't play until late 2006.He doesn't play a full season when healthy until 2007.They say you don't complete your recovery until the second year - 2008.Heading into 2009, he should have his first season under his belt as a fully healthy WR, from which we can grade him.2009.Its going to be a long time before we figure out what Edwards is.

Braylon Edwards tore his ACL late in 2005.

He probably doesn't play until late 2006.

He doesn't play a full season when healthy until 2007.

They say you don't complete your recovery until the second year - 2008.

Heading into 2009, he should have his first season under his belt as a fully healthy WR, from which we can grade him.

Its going to be a long time before we figure out what Edwards is.
Entirely ridiculous, 2 years after the injury is late 2007. You're not going to have to wait until 2009 to find out what this kid has.

One WR that has come back from an ACL is Rice - in the same year no less. He did get banged up again when he came back though, so he may have rushed it. He was pretty old when it happened.

Lee Evans tore an ACL in college and he seems like he recovered all of his speed and is a good prospect.

Compared to RB's, it isn't all that common of an injury in WR's. How many top WR's do you actually remember tearing their ACL's?
I couldn't really recall any top receivers rehabing from that injury, that's why I posed the question. I have Edwards in one dynasty league and was considering trading for him in another.

I believe Galloway tore his ACL in 2000.. Suffered other injuries in subsequent seasons....I think this was his first fully healthy since then..

IIRC, Lee Evans blew his knee out TWICE at Wisconsin.EDIT: I was wrong. His rehab just took longer and affected his performance his junior season.

I believe Galloway tore his ACL in 2000.. Suffered other injuries in subsequent seasons....I think this was his first fully healthy since then..
He did tear it in 00', that is correct.He played 16 games in both 01 and 02 though, and managed to rack up 906 yards and 6 TD's in 02 with Quincy Carter throwing the ball.

Heading into 2009, he should have his first season under his belt as a fully healthy WR, from which we can grade him.

Entirely ridiculous, 2 years after the injury is late 2007. You're not going to have to wait until 2009 to find out what this kid has.
bgp is a pessimist. take him with a grain of salt.

Edwars tore his knee badly late in the season. 2006 looks to be a recovery period, if he comes back it will be late in the year.2007 will be his first real year then. I look to 2008 for him to make a statement.

:blackdot: I'm wondering if he'll be worth keeping. I traded up to draft him late in the 1st round of our dynasty draft this year, and he'll be cheap, but I wonder if I can hold the roster spot that long...

Winslow's situation reminds me of that WR who was collecting checks from Miami.Forget his name but he kept ripping up his knee before the regular seasons started. 2 in a row I believe. What a waste.

Winslow's situation reminds me of that WR who was collecting checks from Miami.

Forget his name but he kept ripping up his knee before the regular seasons started. 2 in a row I believe. What a waste.
Yatil Green? I drafted him in the last round of a keeper league his rookie year.

Winslow's situation reminds me of that WR who was collecting checks from Miami.

Forget his name but he kept ripping up his knee before the regular seasons started. 2 in a row I believe. What a waste.
LMAO @ this Yatil Green "tribute" page...

I didn't say we'd have to wait until 2009 to find out what he has.I said he probably won't play one full healthy season until 2008. That means we won't be able to really assess what we have until we are heading into 2009.

LMAO @ this Yatil Green "tribute" page...

Yatil! More like Yatear.

thanks for providing his name. it was sort of bugging me.

One WR that has come back from an ACL is Rice - in the same year no less.    He did get banged up again when he came back though, so he may have rushed it.  He was pretty old when it happened.

Lee Evans tore an ACL in college and he seems like he recovered all of his speed and is a good prospect.

Compared to RB's, it isn't all that common of an injury in WR's.    How many top WR's do you actually remember tearing their ACL's?
I couldn't really recall any top receivers rehabing from that injury, that's why I posed the question. I have Edwards in one dynasty league and was considering trading for him in another.
Steve Smith?

One WR that has come back from an ACL is Rice - in the same year no less. He did get banged up again when he came back though, so he may have rushed it. He was pretty old when it happened.

Compared to RB's, it isn't all that common of an injury in WR's. How many top WR's do you actually remember tearing their ACL's?
Steve Smith?
broke his ankle

Amnesiac is a Cleveland fan, take HIM with a grain of salt. :excited:

Both Marcus Robinson & Germane Crowel suffered knee injuries in 2001 (game 5) , neither fully recovered IMO.A little more research ...Derrick Alexander, Minnesotta Nov 4th 2002, Torn ACLTyrone Calico, Tennesee, Oct 2004, Torn Cartilage & ACLMarc Boerigter, KC, August 2004, Torn ACLPatrick Jeffers, Carolina, 2000 ?, Knee ?Joey Galloway, Dallas, 2000 ?, KneeMichael Westbrook, Was, 2000 ? KneeReche Caldwell, SD 2004, Torn ACLDrew Carter, CAR June 2004 ? Torn ACL (Torn ACL at Ohio in 2003 ?)Anquan Boldin, Arizona, Summer 2001? or at FSU in 2000Yatil Green, Miami 1997 ( believe he managed 3 torn ACLs total)Lee Evans, Buffalo, at Wisconsin in 2002 ?This year ..Mark Bradley CHIBraylon Edwards, CLEBrandon Jones, TENJavon Walker, GBA quote from somewhere on the WEB ..."Other receivers who have come back from ACL tears either in college or the pros and played effectively include Amani Toomer, Joey Galloway, Reggie Wayne, Bobby Engram and Anquan Boldin. Tennessee's Tyrone Calico has returned this season.There are, however, receivers who have never been the same, among them Rob Moore, Marcus Robinson, Sylvester Morris, Derrick Alexander, David Boston and Kevin Dyson."My Take,While reading the articles associated with some of the injuries above it seems thatrecovery from ACL surgery is improving, your chances of returning to pre-injury status from a tear in 2005, is much better than in 2000, or 1995. However, it seems the recovery depends on 3 items, The severity of the injury, the commitment to rehab, and the age of the injured.For the players injured in 2005, training camp and preseason news will be very telling on their commitment to rehab. News of setbacks, or delays in recovery will be the indicators that perhaps their commitment to rehabbing is not all it should be.

Absolutely hated seeing J. Walker tearing his ACL, but it couldn't have happened at a better time. First week of the season allows for him to have plenty of time to return to his old form heading into next season. Just need B. Favre to stick around for another year or two.

Braylon's success depends in large measure to how the Cleveland QB situation shakes out.Assuming Frye is the annointed starter, he showed something to me when he took the reigns late last season. If he can continue to build on that experience AND Cleveland can start putting together more than a rag-tag O-Line I think both his and Braylon's futures are bright.

Both Marcus Robinson & Germane Crowel suffered knee injuries in 2001 (game 5) , neither fully recovered IMO.

A little more research ...

Derrick Alexander, Minnesotta Nov 4th 2002, Torn ACL

Tyrone Calico, Tennesee, Oct 2004, Torn Cartilage & ACL

Marc Boerigter, KC, August 2004, Torn ACL

Patrick Jeffers, Carolina, 2000 ?, Knee ?

Joey Galloway, Dallas, 2000 ?, Knee

Michael Westbrook, Was, 2000 ? Knee

Reche Caldwell, SD 2004, Torn ACL

Drew Carter, CAR June 2004 ? Torn ACL (Torn ACL at Ohio in 2003 ?)

Anquan Boldin, Arizona, Summer 2001? or at FSU in 2000

Yatil Green, Miami 1997 ( believe he managed 3 torn ACLs total)

Lee Evans, Buffalo, at Wisconsin in 2002 ?

This year ..

Mark Bradley CHI

Braylon Edwards, CLE

Brandon Jones, TEN

Javon Walker, GB

A quote from somewhere on the WEB ...

"Other receivers who have come back from ACL tears either in college or the pros and played effectively include Amani Toomer, Joey Galloway, Reggie Wayne, Bobby Engram and Anquan Boldin. Tennessee's Tyrone Calico has returned this season.

There are, however, receivers who have never been the same, among them Rob Moore, Marcus Robinson, Sylvester Morris, Derrick Alexander, David Boston and Kevin Dyson."

My Take,

While reading the articles associated with some of the injuries above it seems that

recovery from ACL surgery is improving, your chances of returning to pre-injury status from a tear in 2005, is much better than in 2000, or 1995. However, it seems the recovery depends on 3 items, The severity of the injury, the commitment to rehab, and the age of the injured.

For the players injured in 2005, training camp and preseason news will be very telling on their commitment to rehab. News of setbacks, or delays in recovery will be the indicators that perhaps their commitment to rehabbing is not all it should be.
Nicely done, good post. The severity of the injury only matters in extreme situations. One of those was Robert Edwards (RB)...he had nerve and arterial damage with his injury. The severity of the tears themselves or how gruesome it may look are not of themselves determining factors b/c the ligaments get replaced, so they can tear them all they like, they are getting new ones. Age certainly plays a roll, but shouldn't make a huge difference between 25 and 35, 25 and 50 would be signifiacnt enough, but I haven't seen any 50 yr old WRs of late, so that is probably a moot point.

So that leaves the medical processes (surgery and rehab as the most important). The rehab should take approximately 6 months. After 4-5 months, the ligament itself is fully healed....from that point forward it is how strong the athlete can get and how stable they can make the joint with those muscles (without setbacks such as tendonitis) that determines how quickly they can come back from the procedure.

The 2 year rule traditionally only applies to RBs b/c it takes time to build up confidence and that "feeling" in the knee that allows them to be ellusive with lateral moves. Such moves may limit more shifty WRs like SMoss, SSmith, or DHall, but shouldn't be a factor for someone like Edwards. If the papers are positive this summer, he will be worth a pick if you liked him before the injury.

did Derrick Alexander not hurt himself before that also. He seemed to be a guy that would do nothing one year and than have a huge year and than do nothing again,. Happened like 3 times if I recall when I had him in the early goings of my dynasty league

Amnesiac is a Cleveland fan, take HIM with a grain of salt. :excited:
the distiction between the two is often difficult to discern.btw, no offense was intended to bgp.

I tore my ACL almost exactly 2 years ago. One thing I can tell you is that the knee is never the same post injury. With lots of rehab, and a high pain tolerance you can make it close to 95% of what your pre-injury knee was, but it will NEVER be 100%. For most atheletes just losing 5% effectiveness in one knee is enough to make a difference in their game.

cbs.sportsline.com

Braylon Edwards, WR CLENews: The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Braylon Edawards' agent said his client will be ready for the start of the 2006 regular season. The talented wide receiver underwent reconstructive knee surgery for a torn ACL suffered in a loss to Jacksonville.Analysis: This is positive news for Edwards, but he still as a lot of rehabilitation to endure over the next few months. Even if he does make positive strides, whether or not he has regained physical and mental confidence in the knee remains to be seen.

cbs.sportsline.com

Braylon Edwards, WR CLE

News: The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Braylon Edawards' agent said his client will be ready for the start of the 2006 regular season. The talented wide receiver underwent reconstructive knee surgery for a torn ACL suffered in a loss to Jacksonville.

Analysis: This is positive news for Edwards, but he still as a lot of rehabilitation to endure over the next few months. Even if he does make positive strides, whether or not he has regained physical and mental confidence in the knee remains to be seen.
There's a difference between being able to get on the field and playing at 100%. Even the Browns' management has said they hope Edwards is back in October, so I put little stock in an agent's opinion (unless he went to med school).

Nicely done, good post. The severity of the injury only matters in extreme situations. One of those was Robert Edwards (RB)...he had nerve and arterial damage with his injury. The severity of the tears themselves or how gruesome it may look are not of themselves determining factors b/c the ligaments get replaced, so they can tear them all they like, they are getting new ones.
Heh, I think that the main factor is the heart. Robert Edwards now plays for my team, the Montreal Alouettes (CFL) and he's great. The best running back in the CFL. Wait 2-3 years and that guy will be back in the NFL.

When he comes back will change alot from now til the summer. It's basically "he's progressing well in rehab so I'd expect him to return...this date." Rehab is a funny thing in that some exercises come easily and some are oh so difficult and it totally depends on the individual too. Just sit tight.

FWIW alot of receivers mentioned above were significantly older than Braylon and it is not the same. In theory McGahee should have never done as well as he did a year ago. Boldin was pretty awesome post surgery and IIRC so was Faulk.

When he comes back will change alot from now til the summer. It's basically "he's progressing well in rehab so I'd expect him to return...this date." Rehab is a funny thing in that some exercises come easily and some are oh so difficult and it totally depends on the individual too. Just sit tight.

FWIW alot of receivers mentioned above were significantly older than Braylon and it is not the same. In theory McGahee should have never done as well as he did a year ago. Boldin was pretty awesome post surgery and IIRC so was Faulk.
i gotta agree.it doesn't seem like 5 years of age should make much of a difference, but i believe it does. small differences among players are magnified in the nfl in all aspects of the game, and age/ability to heal is included.

Both Marcus Robinson & Germane Crowel suffered knee injuries in 2001 (game 5) , neither fully recovered IMO.

For the players injured in 2005, training camp and preseason news will be very telling on their commitment to rehab. News of setbacks, or delays in recovery will be the indicators that perhaps their commitment to rehabbing is not all it should be.
:goodposting: So that leaves the medical processes (surgery and rehab as the most important). The rehab should take approximately 6 months. After 4-5 months, the ligament itself is fully healed....from that point forward it is how strong the athlete can get and how stable they can make the joint with those muscles (without setbacks such as tendonitis) that determines how quickly they can come back from the procedure.
:goodposting: IMO, can be back in a year. 50/50 if they are ever 100%. Based on people I know in the field.

:goodposting: So that leaves the medical processes (surgery and rehab as the most important). The rehab should take approximately 6 months. After 4-5 months, the ligament itself is fully healed....from that point forward it is how strong the athlete can get and how stable they can make the joint with those muscles (without setbacks such as tendonitis) that determines how quickly they can come back from the procedure.
:goodposting: IMO, can be back in a year. 50/50 if they are ever 100%. Based on people I know in the field.
first of all the time period of months and training camp don't jive. Second of all, no one "in the field" has said such a thing for like 10-15 yearsMarcus Robinson had back problems

i gotta agree.it doesn't seem like 5 years of age should make much of a difference, but i believe it does. small differences among players are magnified in the nfl in all aspects of the game, and age/ability to heal is included.
I am nowhere near a professional athlete but I can tell you that as a weekend warrior the little injuries that didn't phase me at 23 seem to linger for ever at 30.... And that is without 10 years of NFL punishment to boot.15 years of :banned: isn't helping though

I don't believe lifestyle and lucky genetics has been mentioned. Dedication to rehab may assume a healthy lifestyle before and during the rehab. Some athletes are dedicated to good health for football ala Jerry Rice, while other athletes are not as dedicated or worse, self destructive with addictive drugs and risky behavior like motorcycles and reckless driving.

Genetics and lifestyle affect the healing rate and/or risk of reinjury. I may have taken that for granted. :wall: Age may be partially reflective of a longer period of self abuse or just not taking optimal care of their body.

That make Rice and guys like him pretty special.

He ain't a mathematician, that's for sure.But he still makes a good point. If I might make a few presumptions for BGP, and take where he was going and just adjust his numbers slightly:

Edwards tore his ACL late in 2005.

They say you don't complete your recovery until the second year - 2007.

Heading into 2008, he should have his first season under his belt as a fully healthy WR, from which we can grade him.

That gives us two years. I think that was his point.

I agree with him, minus the trivial math flub that is conducive of being up at this hour on a weeknight :) (presuming he is EST like all the cool people).

Users who are viewing this thread