What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking News - Mack Brown commenting on Vince Young (1 Viewer)

benm3218

Footballguy
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/spo.../091008aad.html

"I have been in communication with Vince. Anybody that knows Vince here knows how competitive he is. He set a very, very high standard for himself, and when he doesn't feel like he reached that standard at that moment, he does get disappointed. He's fine, he's moving forward, he's been booed before, he's been criticized before and his worst moment here was his best moment because after he played so poorly against Missouri, he never lost another game. Anybody that thinks Vince Young's not competitive and he won't be back and he won't step up and he's not going to compete and get that thing turned around doesn't know Vince Young. He'll be fine and we're pulling for him, can't wait to get him well and get him back out on the field.

I text Vince a lot. I text all those guys, every time they do something good or have something bad happen to them. Our staff stays really close to our pro players, and it's really important to us. I actually texted him whenever the report came out, probably Monday night. I texted him immediately and Cleve (Bryant) and Greg Davis had already texted him by the time I got to it. We wear him out with texts, and he texted me a few minutes ago as I was walking off the field and said, 'I'm doing fine, everything's ok, things got a little exaggerated and let's move forward,' so I'll try to call him tonight."

On Chris Simms: Great for Chris to have an opportunity, and Chris and Vince are really good friends. So it will help Vince, I think, that Chris is there, and those two can be close and pull together. There are a lot of Longhorns on that team that will help Vince as well. Bo Scaife and Chris were best friends, so I think it's a good spot for Chris. I'm glad to see him get another opportunity and I'm glad he's there to be around Vince as well."

Who is Mack Brown?
Seriously? May want to spend a little less time putting your roster in your sig and a little more paying attention to the world of football.
LOL! Sorry...I don't pay much attention to college football, only NFL and CFL (I'm from Canada)!! But I'm sure you also know all about the CFL, since you say "the world of football" :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is Mack Brown?
Seriously? May want to spend a little less time putting your roster in your sig and a little more paying attention to the world of football.
LOL! Sorry...I don't pay much attention to college football, only NFL and CFL (I'm from Canada)!! But I'm sure you also know all about the CFL, since you say "the world of football" :lmao:
CFL is not real football. Pretty sure USC or Oklahoma could beat most CFL teams. That said... as stated before Mack Brown is the Coach of Texas where Vince went to College and excelled.

Coming back to the thread, the story in TEN is changing wildly every day it seems. First, TEN is cool with VY. Then they plan on moving on without him. Then people like his ex-coach are saying he's cool. Then his mother is saying he's got major issues.

What's the word, homers?

Who is Mack Brown?
You're kidding...
Well, in all honesty. Mack Brown has VERY little to do with NFL fantasy football. Yeah he rears the guys up for the NFL, but after that. Good question... why ppl pay for F'Guys. Don't be a football snob... I can't follow 80% of the college coaches. I think Cooper still coaches Ohio State, but I do know SC will run roughshod.

Coming back to the thread, the story in TEN is changing wildly every day it seems. First, TEN is cool with VY. Then they plan on moving on without him. Then people like his ex-coach are saying he's cool. Then his mother is saying he's got major issues. What's the word, homers?
Regardless, this is just a bad situation. It's kinda like the fiance breakup. Yeah, you can get back together, but do you trust they'll stay married? Besides, VY is hurt, and if Collins performs... it won't be a #1 who deserves his job back.

Coming back to the thread, the story in TEN is changing wildly every day it seems. First, TEN is cool with VY. Then they plan on moving on without him. Then people like his ex-coach are saying he's cool. Then his mother is saying he's got major issues.

What's the word, homers?
Vince's Mamadramaqueen has issues. Put her in front of a microphone and she'll spout anything. He'll be back, and she needs to just shut up.I own him in no leagues.

Coming back to the thread, the story in TEN is changing wildly every day it seems. First, TEN is cool with VY. Then they plan on moving on without him. Then people like his ex-coach are saying he's cool. Then his mother is saying he's got major issues. What's the word, homers?
He won't be back before 4 weeks at the earliest the paper said today. And depending on how Collins was doing he might not get the job back right away is the feel I am getting... I know the Titans don't get much press outside this issue and so some will bash me or laugh... But, our Defense and Run game are SuperBowl caliber right now. IF we were 5 and 0 with Collins as the starter and our CRAPPY and PATHETIC receivers were actually catching balls somehow then I feel they would not change anything.

The mom story came out before the ex-coach story. Now his teammates are backing him and Fish just wants him back on the field.

He won't be back before 4 weeks at the earliest the paper said today. And depending on how Collins was doing he might not get the job back right away is the feel I am getting... I know the Titans don't get much press outside this issue and so some will bash me or laugh... But, our Defense and Run game are SuperBowl caliber right now. IF we were 5 and 0 with Collins as the starter and our CRAPPY and PATHETIC receivers were actually catching balls somehow then I feel they would not change anything.
This is very much the case. They had a prominent Nashville sports guy on the local FoxNews AM affiliate here in Memphis today and he said exactly that. Vince is most certainly not guaranteed a job if he comes back. He's a playmaker but he's not shown himself to be a very good quarterback yet. If Collins is excelling and winning in this offense they'd be hard pressed to shake that up.

What's the word, homers?
You just may be right, but those are some large ifs. It will be interesting to see if the Titans are able run the ball as well without VY as they have with him.

Oh, and I went to an Arena league game here in Austin once. Wow, what a waste of time. It didn't even sorta feel like a football game.

Ricky avg'd less than 3yrds in Toronto before he broke his arm....guess they can't block and tackle way too much for this years "sleeper" 5-8th round pick.

Honestly, different games -

Mack Brown should have coached him like a man, and not a baby....maybe he could be handling himself better today. Mack is part of the inner VY spin machine.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/spo.../091008aad.html

"I have been in communication with Vince. Anybody that knows Vince here knows how competitive he is. He set a very, very high standard for himself, and when he doesn't feel like he reached that standard at that moment, he does get disappointed. He's fine, he's moving forward, he's been booed before, he's been criticized before and his worst moment here was his best moment because after he played so poorly against Missouri, he never lost another game. Anybody that thinks Vince Young's not competitive and he won't be back and he won't step up and he's not going to compete and get that thing turned around doesn't know Vince Young. He'll be fine and we're pulling for him, can't wait to get him well and get him back out on the field.

I text Vince a lot. I text all those guys, every time they do something good or have something bad happen to them. Our staff stays really close to our pro players, and it's really important to us. I actually texted him whenever the report came out, probably Monday night. I texted him immediately and Cleve (Bryant) and Greg Davis had already texted him by the time I got to it. We wear him out with texts, and he texted me a few minutes ago as I was walking off the field and said, 'I'm doing fine, everything's ok, things got a little exaggerated and let's move forward,' so I'll try to call him tonight."

On Chris Simms: Great for Chris to have an opportunity, and Chris and Vince are really good friends. So it will help Vince, I think, that Chris is there, and those two can be close and pull together. There are a lot of Longhorns on that team that will help Vince as well. Bo Scaife and Chris were best friends, so I think it's a good spot for Chris. I'm glad to see him get another opportunity and I'm glad he's there to be around Vince as well."
Here is my take on this - Mack Brown may be genuinely concerned for Vince Young, but this particular article is all about him and how he appears to future U of Texas recruits. He and his people are running the spin so his competition for recruits cannot use this Vince Young stuff against him.And that he can relate to the younger generation by his ability to text...........

Who is Mack Brown?
LOL! Sorry...I don't pay much attention to college football, only NFL and CFL (I'm from Canada)!! But I'm sure you also know all about the CFL, since you say "the world of football" :rant:
CFL is not real football. Pretty sure USC or Oklahoma could beat most CFL teams. That said... as stated before Mack Brown is the Coach of Texas where Vince went to College and excelled.
I'm not going to get into name calling here but to state that a college team could beat a team of pros is naive.

This is very much the case. They had a prominent Nashville sports guy on the local FoxNews AM affiliate here in Memphis today and he said exactly that. Vince is most certainly not guaranteed a job if he comes back. He's a playmaker but he's not shown himself to be a very good quarterback yet. If Collins is excelling and winning in this offense they'd be hard pressed to shake that up.
This is all pretty much in line with the way I see it. With all of the conflicting reports, actions still speak louder than words. It took the Titans all of 3 days to go out and sign Chris Simms, an experienced QB, and add another QB (Preston Parsons) to their practice squad yesterday. Mack Brown can spin it any way he wants, but I think it's fair to say that they didn't sign Simms to come in and simply hold Vince's hand. This all reads to me that Vince Young's future in Tennessee is in fact VERY much in question.The Titans have a genuine window of opportunity here and are off to a good start, with a division win already and the only team standing 1-0 in their division. The Titans are headed to Cincinnati this week (and a slight favorite by the way), while the Colts are headed to Minnesota and the Jaguars (with a beatup OL) are hosting a very tough looking Buffalo.They've been trying to groom Vince Young for 3 year now, and this is not the time to be putting him back in the lineup anytime soon.

They've been trying to groom Vince Young for 3 year now
How's that?I'm not taking issue with the rest of your post. It may be all right or all wrong. No point debating it, 'cause we don't know, but the '06 NFL Draft wasn't even until the end of April. He wasn't signed 'til the end of July. That's about 26 months ago...and they never "groomed" him, unless you call sitting on the bench for five games and then being thrown in as the starter of an 0-5 team "grooming".

Who is Mack Brown?
I didn't know either and I live in the USA. I casually follow the Big Ten and don't care what happens in Texas. It is just hard for some people to understand that.

They've been trying to groom Vince Young for 3 year now
How's that?I'm not taking issue with the rest of your post. It may be all right or all wrong. No point debating it, 'cause we don't know, but the '06 NFL Draft wasn't even until the end of April. He wasn't signed 'til the end of July. That's about 26 months ago...and they never "groomed" him, unless you call sitting on the bench for five games and then being thrown in as the starter of an 0-5 team "grooming".
Grooming, teaching, preparing, cultivating...you can term it however you like.This just in- the Titans are expected to sign QB Doug Johnson as early as today, per Chris Mortensen.Another thread on this recently posted.For a guy who is expected to only miss 2-4 weeks, bringing in 3 QBs in 3 days speaks volumes. (Simms, Johnson, Parsons)I'd say they're preparing to move on.

Who is Mack Brown?
LOL! Sorry...I don't pay much attention to college football, only NFL and CFL (I'm from Canada)!! But I'm sure you also know all about the CFL, since you say "the world of football" :P
It's alright, I thought he was one of the local pimps down on Haley here in Santa Barbara.

Who is Mack Brown?
LOL! Sorry...I don't pay much attention to college football, only NFL and CFL (I'm from Canada)!! But I'm sure you also know all about the CFL, since you say "the world of football" :thumbup:
I didn't know either and I live in the USA. I casually follow the Big Ten and don't care what happens in Texas. It is just hard for some people to understand that.
There is a link provided by the OP for those of you that needed more information.

Users who are viewing this thread