What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Flores Sues NYG and NFL for Racial Discrimination (1 Viewer)

So you think there should be more black coaches...just because?
Yes. Just as there should be more blacks on the Supreme Court. And more blacks in universities. And other minorities as well.and on corporate boards. We need more racial diversity everywhere. 

Yes. Just as there should be more blacks on the Supreme Court. And more blacks in universities. And other minorities as well.and on corporate boards. We need more racial diversity everywhere. 
Black head coaches represent roughly the same percentage as the US black population (I believe there are four?).  So to pass your diversity bar you think that means minorities need to be over-represented based on the general population?

Black head coaches represent roughly the same percentage as the US black population (I believe there are four?).  So to pass your diversity bar you think that means minorities need to be over-represented based on the general population?
In that sport yes. Because so many of the players are black. 

Brian Flores, and those who have joined him in these lawsuits, have very specific complaints about how they were treated. They are basing the lawsuit on those specific complaints, and not on the overall number of black coaches

That's not how the complaint reads, IMO. The complaint uses the racial disparity between players and coaches as an example of racial discrimination. BladeRunner seemed to think that wasn't very persuasive. I agree with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s the problem, @djmich: when we consider these issues we can’t ignore history. One of the worst aspects of institutional racism in this country has been the widespread notion that black people aren’t as smart as white people, and can’t be trusted in positions of authority or responsibility. That is why whenever a black QB is attacked for not being smart enough, as Rush Limbaugh did with Donavan McNabb long ago, many people suspect racism. 

And that is why if there is a league with so many black players and nowhere near enough black coaches, it’s always going to anger people, rightfully so. Because the lingering impression is that blacks are only prized for their physical abilities and not for their mental capacities. 

And that, in a nutshell, is why we need more black coaches. 

That's not how the complaint reads, IMO. The complaint uses the racial disparity between players and coaches as an example of racial discrimination. BladeRunner seemed to think that wasn't very persuasive. I agree with him.
OK I didn’t understand that aspect of the complaint. I think it’s much more persuasive than you or Blade does for the reasons stated in my last post. But that in itself wouldn’t be enough for me to award Flores money- that question would be based primarily on the specifics of his personal interactions with the league. 

I agree with BladeRunner here. Most NFL head coaches were not NFL players. The pool that NFL head coaches are drawn from is not the pool of NFL players. There's nothing weird about the idea that NFL head coaches resemble the country as a whole in their racial demographic characteristics more than they resemble NFL players. And given that players generally make more money than coaches do, it's not necessarily a bad thing that African-Americans are more overrepresented among the ranks of players than they are among the ranks of coaches.

I don't have an opinion on the strength of Flores's claims in general. But on that one statistical point -- the percentage of black coaches is much lower than the percentage of black players, therefore racial discrimination -- I think the argument is very weak.
While most NFL head coaches were not NFL players, most NFL head coaches were college players. 

So what does the pool of former college players look like?

While most NFL head coaches were not NFL players, most NFL head coaches were college players. 

I don't know. The complaint provides no data on that because it is focused only on the comparison to the pool of NFL players.

I don't know, but I suspect the answer may be somewhat dependent on whether you're looking at D1 only or not?

timschochet said:
In that sport yes. Because so many of the players are black. 

Who chose the player pool as the line in the sand?  Why not the janitors that fill the soda machines in the locker room?

That's my whole point Tim.  This line is chosen by those who will benefit the most and it's a line chose SOLELY for that reason.  It's not about EQUALITY, it's about power and money.  If you wanted REAL equality, then we need to skinny down the player pool to match the % of race to the US population, not the player pool.  Not just for the NFL, but ALL jobs, no?

What this means is that 13% of the players need to be black and 13% of the head coaches.  Of course, do you then further break it down by sex?  if so, of that 13% of black players, 50% of those must be black women.  The coaching pool already matches that of the US population by race %, so why is the player pool exempt from that?

You seem to forget that the NFL or any league is comprised of more than just players.  There are all types of jobs that go into making any business successful, not just players.  Why do they get to decide?

It doesn't even have to be the NFL, we could be talking about CEO positions in businesses.   However, I do notice that none of you guys that want equality are talking about making ditch diggers, construction workers, plumbers, latrine installer or any of the really hard and/or dirty jobs "equal".  It's only the HIGHEST PAYING jobs which is, of course, quite self-serving.

What these decisions are doing is OVER-REPRESENTING black people and/or minorities.

This line has to be a static line and can't be a moving target depending upon the latest Grievance Du Jour.  That static line MUST be % of US population. It's really the only answer. There is no other answer.

Who chose the player pool as the line in the sand?  Why not the janitors that fill the soda machines in the locker room?

That's my whole point Tim.  This line is chosen by those who will benefit the most and it's a line chose SOLELY for that reason.  If you wanted REAL equality, then we need to skinny down the player pool to match the % of race to the US population, not the player pool. 

What this means is that 13% of the players need to be black and 13% of the head coaches.  Of course, do you then further break it down by sex?  if so, of that 13% of black players, 50% of those must be black women.  The coaching pool already matches that of the US population by race %, so why is the player pool exempt from that?

You seem to forget that the NFL or any league is comprised of more than just players.  There are all types of jobs that go into making any business successful, not just players.  Why do they get to decide?

It doesn't even have to be the NFL, we could be talking about CEO positions in businesses.   I notice that none of you guys that want equality are talking about making ditch diggers, construction workers, plumbers, latrine installer or any of the really hard and/or dirty jobs.  It's only the HIGHEST PAYING jobs which is, of course, is quite self-serving.

What these decisions are doing is OVER-REPRESENTING black people and/or minorities.

This line has to be a static line and can't be a moving target.  That static line MUST be % of US population. It's really the only answer. There is no other answer.
Did you read my earlier post on this subject (from this morning)? I tried to explain why it was so important for there to be more black coaches. I really can’t explain any better than that post. 

Did you read my earlier post on this subject (from this morning)? I tried to explain why it was so important for there to be more black coaches. I really can’t explain any better than that post. 

I did, but it made ZERO sense and wasn't really based on "equality" at all.

If you guys want true equality, that means making things, y'know, equal for ALL races, not just black people.  Besides, your solution way over-represents them which then basically makes it reverse discrimination.

This isn't about "equality" - it's about money and power.  That's it.  That's what this boils down to.

Rich Conway said:
I don't know, but I suspect the answer may be somewhat dependent on whether you're looking at D1 only or not?
I guess it would be appropriate to look at all divisions. 

Frank Reich played at Maryland, Sean McDermott & Mike Tomlin played at William & Mary. Brian Dabol played at University of Rochester. 

I did, but it made ZERO sense and wasn't really based on "equality" at all.

If you guys want true equality, that means making things, y'know, equal for ALL races, not just black people.  Besides, your solution way over-represents them which then basically makes it reverse discrimination.

This isn't about "equality" - it's about money and power.  That's it.  That's what this boils down to.
I never used the word equality. And I don’t believe in reverse discrimination. 

i just want more black coaches. 

I never used the word equality. And I don’t believe in reverse discrimination. 

i just want more black coaches. 

According to the data, we have the perfect % of black to white coaches based upon the same % of US Population.

Your "I want more black coaches" is not only racist, but also represents the exact opposite of equality (which is what the lawsuit is based on), IMO.

According to the data, we have the perfect % of black to white coaches based upon the same % of US Population.

Your "I want more black coaches" is not only racist, but also represents the exact opposite of equality (which is what the lawsuit is based on), IMO.
OK. I am racist and I don’t want things to be equal. Whatever you say. 

OK. I am racist and I don’t want things to be equal. Whatever you say. 

What if someone said, "I want more WHITE coaches".  How do you think you and your side would respond to that?

Honestly.  How do you think they would respond?

Wouldn't a better indicator of something fishy with the lack of black head coaches be that there were a ton of black assistant or positional coaches, but they weren't getting the HC jobs?   

Wouldn't a better indicator of something fishy with the lack of black head coaches be that there were a ton of black assistant or positional coaches, but they weren't getting the HC jobs?   

Once again, the # of black head coaches actually matches their % of the US Population.  :shrug:

People's point has been (and mine as well)  they aren't looking at the representation of blacks in the US, they are looking at the representation of blacks in the sport they are coaching, assuming that a lot of the coaches come from that pool of players at some point.   

People's point has been (and mine as well)  they aren't looking at the representation of blacks in the US, they are looking at the representation of blacks in the sport they are coaching, assuming that a lot of the coaches come from that pool of players at some point.   

Yeah, it's almost as if you haven't read any of my previous posts from, like, an hour ago.

Your position is not only untenable, but unfair.  An arbitrary line was made that benefits the people drawing the line.  It's not about so-called "equality".

It takes more than just players to make a team, much less an entire league.

You are for arbitrary lines that favor the guys drawing the lines?

You do understand what I mean when I say that, right?
No I don't.  I am not drawing hard lines I am making an observation.    There have been great points about where the HC pool is coming from, and the growing number of black assistant and position coaches.   

All I am saying is that IMO comparing the race % of the US to a sport that is vastly dominated by black players isn't relevant in this case.  

No I don't.  I am not drawing hard lines I am making an observation.    There have been great points about where the HC pool is coming from, and the growing number of black assistant and position coaches.   

All I am saying is that IMO comparing the race % of the US to a sport that is vastly dominated by black players isn't relevant in this case.  

And that's the rub now, isn't it?  

As long as we let the line drawers benefit themselves, we'll never have equality.  THAT line MUST be static - it can't be based upon the whims of the latest <insert-group-here> Du Jour.

And that's the rub now, isn't it?  

As long as we let the line drawers benefit themselves, we'll never have equality.  THAT line MUST be static - it can't be based upon the whims of the latest <insert-group-here> Du Jour.
I'm still not following your rants about the line drawers, but you do you.    Just trying to relay my thoughts as usual.  

timschochet said:
Here’s the problem, @djmich: when we consider these issues we can’t ignore history. One of the worst aspects of institutional racism in this country has been the widespread notion that black people aren’t as smart as white people, and can’t be trusted in positions of authority or responsibility. That is why whenever a black QB is attacked for not being smart enough, as Rush Limbaugh did with Donavan McNabb long ago, many people suspect racism. 

And that is why if there is a league with so many black players and nowhere near enough black coaches, it’s always going to anger people, rightfully so. Because the lingering impression is that blacks are only prized for their physical abilities and not for their mental capacities. 

And that, in a nutshell, is why we need more black coaches. 
I think there seems to be a pre-supposition that there is some sort of natural progression of NFL players becoming NFL coaches. But I’m not so sure that’s how it works most of the time. 

About 50% of college FBS players are black. About 37% are white. 

About 58% of NFL players are black and 25% are white.

So we need to ask ourselves 2 questions I think:

1) What causes those percentages to shift in favor of black players from college to the NFL and

2) At what age/stage of life does the average NFL coach begin coaching?

I don’t know the answer to that, but my gut says:

-black athletes gain and white athletes lose from college to the NFL because black athletes are outperforming white athletes in football

-white athletes that realize they aren’t moving on to the NFL are hopping into coaching earlier than black athletes and it’s giving them a long term advantage. There could also be an unfair financial component here where white coaches are able to live off of the peanuts that young coaches often make thanks to family support while others may not have the financial option of grinding for peanuts for years.

If those are actually the reasons, then I’m not sure how the NFL fixes things without simply being patently unfair to white players/coaches who wipe out of football earlier and don’t have the chance to make NFL player money but start the coaching grind earlier. Do they lose out twice to black athletes because of a wrongly perpetuated belief that the path to NFL coaching goes college player>NFL player>NFL coach?

We already know that black players have some sort of unfair advantage over white players to getting into the NFL and making those big bucks by looking at the numbers. I think we’re probably all in agreement that that is the case because those men earned their spots in the NFL through performance. That makes sense to me as to why black players are over represented in the NFL compared to their percentage of US population, even though it comes at the expense of white players.

But so far the best, basically only, argument I see being made for a similar over representation of black coaches at the expense of white coaches is “because there are more black players than white players”, but that argument has zero merit unless there is proof that playing in the NFL has a strong correlation with better NFL coaches. Until someone can show me that data/proof, consider me unpersuaded as to the merits of that argument.

Can you show relevance of playing in the NFL and coaching success? How about compared to playing in college and then moving into coaching? Or playing in high school and then beginning interning/coaching while in college?

That seems like critical information that is missing in the arguments being made.

I'm still not following your rants about the line drawers, but you do you.    Just trying to relay my thoughts as usual.  

Interesting.  I've seen this little "rant" game of yours previously that you like to play on posters that challenge you to actually think for once.  Although, IMO, you don't relay thoughts more than you just regurgitate the same, tired old Talking Points that you posted in the previous 20 pages.  Although, your specific "twist" is that you come in and act as if we haven't actually hadn't discussed them all before (we have).  So your little-doe-in-the-woods shtick doesn't really work.

You could have just posted, "My thoughts are the only ones that count and all other ones are 'rants' " and we could've just left it at that.  :shrug:

Next time, just say that right off the bat.  It saves everyone time and energy in trying to talk with you.  :thumbup:

I think there seems to be a pre-supposition that there is some sort of natural progression of NFL players becoming NFL coaches. But I’m not so sure that’s how it works most of the time. 

About 50% of college FBS players are black. About 37% are white. 

About 58% of NFL players are black and 25% are white.

So we need to ask ourselves 2 questions I think:

1) What causes those percentages to shift in favor of black players from college to the NFL and

2) At what age/stage of life does the average NFL coach begin coaching?

I don’t know the answer to that, but my gut says:

-black athletes gain and white athletes lose from college to the NFL because black athletes are outperforming white athletes in football

-white athletes that realize they aren’t moving on to the NFL are hopping into coaching earlier than black athletes and it’s giving them a long term advantage. There could also be an unfair financial component here where white coaches are able to live off of the peanuts that young coaches often make thanks to family support while others may not have the financial option of grinding for peanuts for years.

If those are actually the reasons, then I’m not sure how the NFL fixes things without simply being patently unfair to white players/coaches who wipe out of football earlier and don’t have the chance to make NFL player money but start the coaching grind earlier. Do they lose out twice to black athletes because of a wrongly perpetuated belief that the path to NFL coaching goes college player>NFL player>NFL coach?

We already know that black players have some sort of unfair advantage over white players to getting into the NFL and making those big bucks by looking at the numbers. I think we’re probably all in agreement that that is the case because those men earned their spots in the NFL through performance. That makes sense to me as to why black players are over represented in the NFL compared to their percentage of US population, even though it comes at the expense of white players.

But so far the best, basically only, argument I see being made for a similar over representation of black coaches at the expense of white coaches is “because there are more black players than white players”, but that argument has zero merit unless there is proof that playing in the NFL has a strong correlation with better NFL coaches. Until someone can show me that data/proof, consider me unpersuaded as to the merits of that argument.
There will always be arguments about the reasons. But whatever the reasons, there needs to be more black head coaches. And no it’s not racist to say so. 

Can you show relevance of playing in the NFL and coaching success? How about compared to playing in college and then moving into coaching? Or playing in high school and then beginning interning/coaching while in college?

That seems like critical information that is missing in the arguments being made.
I can't, and I was just coming in to comment on your post above that I liked and had some good ideas.    This discussion has been really interesting as we dig deeper and I appreciate thoughts that you just had.   

Another factor that was brought up awhile that I've been chewing on (but admittedly never bothered to look up) is that the HCs had a high % of college degrees.   I would guess that also factors in and we should add in data of %s of white/black players getting a degree, or going back to do so.   As you say - if they are dominating on the playing field, they are probably focused on that vs. coaching, and also probably more likely to leave for the pros earlier.  

Interesting.  I've seen this little "rant" game of yours previously that you like to play on posters that challenge you to actually think for once.  Although, IMO, you don't relay thoughts more than you just regurgitate the same, tired old Talking Points that you posted in the previous 20 pages.  Although, your specific "twist" is that you come in and act as if we haven't actually hadn't discussed them all before (we have).  So your little-doe-in-the-woods shtick doesn't really work.

You could have just posted, "My thoughts are the only ones that count and all other ones are 'rants' " and we could've just left it at that.  :shrug:

Next time, just say that right off the bat.  It saves everyone time and energy in trying to talk with you.  :thumbup:
No, it just saves you that time evidently.   It's odd that I am able to converse normally to 80% of the other people in these threads, but not you for whatever reason.  

No, it just saves you that time evidently.   It's odd that I am able to converse normally to 80% of the other people in these threads, but not you for whatever reason.  

Here's he problem you're conveniently forgetting:  I was having a good conversation until you ultimately dismissed my posts as "rants".

In your opinion, when YOU post you're simply just "relaying my thoughts, as usual" but when others do it then it just becomes a "rant"?  You started down this downward path of non-conversation, not me.   You ain't no innocent doe in the woods - you know EXACTLY what you're doing.  :shrug:

There will always be arguments about the reasons. But whatever the reasons, there needs to be more black head coaches. And no it’s not racist to say so. 
The guy just asked you a legit question and you have no response but to repeat yourself 569 times that your opinion is right.  And you wonder why people don't engage you in serious conversation.  You're pretty much screaming that you're wrong but don't want to admit it

Here's he problem you're conveniently forgetting:  I was having a good conversation until you ultimately dismissed my posts as "rants".

In your opinion, when you post you're just "relaying my thoughts, as usual" but when others do it then it just becomes a "rant"?  You started down this downward path of non-conversation, not me.   You ain't no innocent doe in the woods - you know EXACTLY what you're doing.  :shrug:
How about this- the use of that word didn't have an intentional purpose besides taking a shot.   That's on me, and your point is well taken about how I come across to you specifically.   Sorry, I will try better to choose my words better or disengage. 

The guy just asked you a legit question and you have no response but to repeat yourself 569 times that your opinion is right.  And you wonder why people don't engage you in serious conversation.  You're pretty much screaming that you're wrong but don't want to admit it
But you’re wrong. People do engage me in serious conversation all the time and I’m greatly appreciative of it. Only one guy around here, that I know of, stalks me from thread to thread and does nothing but insult and attack, possibly because he’s incapable of serious conversation. 

Just as it isn't racist to say, "we need more white head coaches".  :shrug:
It is. 
i think a big part of our disagreement, Blade, is that you seem to believe that the playing field is equal already: that there are white people and blacks people in our society and that everyone gets an equal chance to succeed based solely on their individual skills and merits. I say that, obviously, this is not so. There are inequities, and some of them are racial in nature. We need to deal with these inequities, and not refuse to admit they exist. 

But you’re wrong. People do engage me in serious conversation all the time and I’m greatly appreciative of it. Only one guy around here, that I know of, stalks me from thread to thread and does nothing but insult and attack, possibly because he’s incapable of serious conversation. 
This is a blatant falsehood.  

It is. 
i think a big part of our disagreement, Blade, is that you seem to believe that the playing field is equal already: that there are white people and blacks people in our society and that everyone gets an equal chance to succeed based solely on their individual skills and merits. I say that, obviously, this is not so. There are inequities, and some of them are racial in nature. We need to deal with these inequities, and not refuse to admit they exist. 

It's not.  We've made tremendous progress since the Civil War, but you seem to believe that fighting racism with more racism is the answer.  It isn't.

Either both sayings ARE racist, or they ARE NOT.  There is no middle ground.

timschochet said:
1. Many blacks believe there aren’t enough black coaches. I agree with them. Maybe it’s because of racial discrimination, maybe it isn’t, I don’t really care either way. I think there should be more black coaches
That's funny because my position is almost the exact opposite of yours. As I mentioned in my earlier post, what bothers me about the situation is that I think that Black coaches face bias (I would use that word instead of "discrimination", because the latter is a legal term and I have no idea if Flores or anyone else can prove that charge in court). If you could somehow prove to me that bias had disappeared completely, I wouldn't care how many Black coaches there were in the league, because then I would at least know that it was a result of other factors, or more likely random chance.  

Back in the real world, I suppose the number of Black coaches is suggestive of bias, but I have no idea what the "correct" number should be, or what the appropriate point of comparison is (general population, NFL players, total football-playing universe). Nor do I really care to figure it out. I support the league trying different approaches to address bias, which is why I originally supported the Rooney Rule, but if those approaches don't work, or do more harm than good, then the NFL should try something else.

If the situation does eventually improve, it will likely be because a new generation of owners recognize the current group's moss-bound thinking as a strategic inefficiency they can exploit (not unlike the way Branch Rickey figured out in the 1940s that, by breaking the color line, he could turn the Dodgers into a powerhouse). But past experience has made me far too cynical to regard that development as inevitable.

Interesting post, but this paragraph confused me. First you say it's an "unfair" advantage, then you say the Black players "earned their spots through performance". Wouldn't that make it a "fair" advantage, then?

In any event, this kind of gets at what I was talking about in my previous post. I firmly believe the NFL's player selection process is about as close as you can get to a pure meritocracy (it wasn't always the case, as in the past Black QBs weren't given a fair chance and were often forced to switch positions, but those problems are mostly gone at this point.) Because it's a meritocracy, I don't really care about the discrepancy or what causes it. 

The coach-selection process, meanwhile, is nowhere near a meritocracy. In addition to whatever racial bias is at play, there's also nepotism, tunnel vision, the over-reliance on familiar names, etc. Again, I don't think the numbers by themselves prove anything, especially with such a small sample size, but they are suggestive. Far more relevant IMO is the experiences described by Black coaching candidates -- the sham interviews, the roadblocks and objections that prevent them from getting hired, the shorter leashes once they do get the job. You can probably look at any individual case and rationalize it, but taken as a whole they indicate to me there's something going on.

Ultra competitive NFL where it’s winning at all cost isn’t hiring better coaches because they are black. Riiiiiiiiight. Now I’ve heard everything.  
The perception is that the NFL is ultra-competitive but it’s just that a perception

Teams that have not had any significant success for decades are still raking in money hand over fist

Users who are viewing this thread