What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bruce Irvin - PEDs (2 Viewers)

kwille

Footballguy
per Roto:

NFL suspended Seahawks DE Bruce Irvin four games for violating the league's policy against performance-enhancing substances.

Seems to be an epidemic with the Seahawks.
Well, Pete Carroll has clearly demonstrated in the past that breaking the rules to give his team an advantage is right in his wheelhouse.
I'm not sure why people think this. Can you definitively demonstrate that he knew about the USC crap or instructed anyone to take PEDs? No? Yeah, didn't think so.

But I do think someone in the clubhouse was trying to get cute with some sort of drug that they thought wasn't on the list or they wouldn't get caught with. Whether that was a trainer or player is unknown. I highly doubt this was Pete Carroll though as I'm sure the haters (first one identified) will say.

This is ridiculous. Seattle needs to crack down on the dealer they have up in the clubhouse, for their own sake. From what I've heard adderall is highly addictive stuff. Crazy to risk your career over it. Can't see not trying a new addiction to 5 hour energy drink or something.

Well, Pete Carroll has clearly demonstrated in the past that breaking the rules to give his team an advantage is right in his wheelhouse.
I'm not sure why people think this. Can you definitively demonstrate that he knew about the USC crap or instructed anyone to take PEDs? No? Yeah, didn't think so.

But I do think someone in the clubhouse was trying to get cute with some sort of drug that they thought wasn't on the list or they wouldn't get caught with. Whether that was a trainer or player is unknown. I highly doubt this was Pete Carroll though as I'm sure the haters (first one identified) will say.
Little defensive? Whether GD was half joking or not, Carroll clearly has questions about his grip on his locker room when it comes to PED's

This is ridiculous. Seattle needs to crack down on the dealer they have up in the clubhouse, for their own sake. From what I've heard adderall is highly addictive stuff. Crazy to risk your career over it. Can't see not trying a new addiction to 5 hour energy drink or something.
Not trying to stir anything up, but any time Adderall is leaked as being the culprit, it's super sketchy. For one, the NFL CANNOT comment and say what it actually was. Another thing, even if it's true, Adderall isn't just banned because it improves focus. It's also a well-known masking agent for other, more hardcore/standard PED's.

Little defensive? Whether GD was half joking or not, Carroll clearly has questions about his grip on his locker room when it comes to PED's
No, just a little tired of someone needing to bring it up every ####### time the Seahawks are mentioned. There is zero basis and not relevant.

Regarding getting a grip of the locker room however, I 100% agree. I'm in favor of playing within the rules because I don't think we need a leg up on anyone. Irvin has admitted guilt and I think the 4 game suspension is warranted and deserved. I'll also immediately admit--because someone is probably waiting for me to take the bait--that I disagreed with the suspension of Sherman for the exact same reason. Everyone needs to work within the rules and broken cups aren't permissible for testing.

No, just a little tired of someone needing to bring it up every ####### time the Seahawks are mentioned. There is zero basis and not relevant.

Regarding getting a grip of the locker room however, I 100% agree. I'm in favor of playing within the rules because I don't think we need a leg up on anyone. Irvin has admitted guilt and I think the 4 game suspension is warranted and deserved. I'll also immediately admit--because someone is probably waiting for me to take the bait--that I disagreed with the suspension of Sherman for the exact same reason. Everyone needs to work within the rules and broken cups aren't permissible for testing.
I bet you are a scientist?

Not trying to stir anything up, but any time Adderall is leaked as being the culprit, it's super sketchy. For one, the NFL CANNOT comment and say what it actually was. Another thing, even if it's true, Adderall isn't just banned because it improves focus. It's also a well-known masking agent for other, more hardcore/standard PED's.
At least the Redskins players (Griffin, Jackson and Black) don't even bother with the masking agents. Three suspensions in the last six months. Yikes.

At least the Redskins players (Griffin, Jackson and Black) don't even bother with the masking agents. Three suspensions in the last six months. Yikes.
Jackson's problems happened when he was with the Bucs. The suspension officially came through after he signed with the Skins, before the season started. Black came off the street to the Skins and was popped. Don't remember the details of Griffin's case, but he's gone.Rob Jackson is the worrisome one, and the one you didn't mention. It was also reported to be Adderall, but he's been a Skin for awhile and broke out a bit when Orakpo was injured. Bad news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, cheating and scandal? Time for Carroll to slink out of town and find another league?

I liked DJ Dunson's idea:

If foreign nations can agree to extradition laws that corral individuals who’ve escaped prosecution and hand them off to the nation where their crimes were committed, the NFL and NCAA can work out a similar arrangement. The NFL set a precedent with Terrelle Pryor. Goodell needs to make a similar statement with Kelly and prove he’s the entire NFL’s disciplinarian and not just a dictator to players.

This. It's absurd. Seadderall Seahawks

Obviously this doesn't condone the use of Adderall and of course it certainly can be a cover for something harder, but the idea of Adderall being a masking agent is incorrect.

From this article...

“The anticipated benefit is that performance and stamina can be enhanced,” said Daniel Hussar, professor of pharmacy at the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy at the University of the Sciences. “But sometimes individuals get into such a habit of using these medications that it can be quite a letdown when they stop using them. They feel compelled to continue using the product.” [snipped for space] Hussar added that Adderall is not a known masking agent for other performance enhancing substances.

Obviously this doesn't condone the use of Adderall and of course it certainly can be a cover for something harder, but the idea of Adderall being a masking agent is incorrect.

From this article...

The anticipated benefit is that performance and stamina can be enhanced, said Daniel Hussar, professor of pharmacy at the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy at the University of the Sciences. But sometimes individuals get into such a habit of using these medications that it can be quite a letdown when they stop using them. They feel compelled to continue using the product. [snipped for space] Hussar added that Adderall is not a known masking agent for other performance enhancing substances.
Every time there's an adderal case someone plops in and claims its a masking agent when it isn't. Same people that call Pete a cheater because after he was a Trojan star a business agent gave Bysh's family a rent free house in San Diego. What a cheater that Petey is!Meanwhile, Redskins and Seahawks are tied with 7 PED suspensions (with Sherman's appeal bringing it to 6 for Sea) since Carroll started coaching, and 28 of the remaining teams have had one.

It's obviously a problem in both Washingtons and I'm sure all of it isn't adderal. But adderal isn't a masking agent, Seattle doesn't lead the league, the cheating moniker for Carrol is as true for him as pretty much any coach but undeserved for the Bush thing. Seahawks need to stop this #### now.

Show your work. I kind of doubt this is the case, but I'm interested to see a reputable reference on this.More likely that in a lot of these cases, they got caught using a steroid, but agents tell them to come out and say it was Adderall, which is a more acceptable drug to mainstream football fans, who will say, "Oh, ok it was Adderall, no big thing."As noted above, NFL can't say what PED they were caught using. But the players can control a little bit as to how this gets sold in the public forum.

Show your work. I kind of doubt this is the case, but I'm interested to see a reputable reference on this.More likely that in a lot of these cases, they got caught using a steroid, but agents tell them to come out and say it was Adderall, which is a more acceptable drug to mainstream football fans, who will say, "Oh, ok it was Adderall, no big thing."As noted above, NFL can't say what PED they were caught using. But the players can control a little bit as to how this gets sold in the public forum.
I think this is most likely the case. None of these guys are actually taking Adderall. It just happens to also be on the banned list and will hurt their reputation less than saying they were taking HGH or anabolic steroids. And since the NFL can't call them on their lies, it's a safe lie. They all just claim they have ADD and need to take it legitimately.Of course, any rational fan knows it's a huge lie. Adderall is allowed if they have a legitimate prescription. Enough guys have been suspended now that everyone in the league knows you need a prescription. So guys are either knowingly abusing Adder all like a legalized version of cocaine, or more likely they are taking steroids and lying.

Oh, and the idea that Carroll didn't know what was going on is laughable. He was the one that introduced Bush to the shady characters. He is the one that organized "internships" for Bush and other players with these "sports marketers" that skirted the rules and ultimately ended up breaking the rules.

Carroll isn't a dupe, he is a masterful rule breaker. Only the chickens keep coming home to roost anyway.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/What-was-Pete-Carroll-s-part-in-the-USC-scandal-?urn=nfl,247361

Of course, any rational fan knows it's a huge lie. Adderall is allowed if they have a legitimate prescription. Enough guys have been suspended now that everyone in the league knows you need a prescription. So guys are either knowingly abusing Adder all like a legalized version of cocaine, or more likely they are taking steroids and lying.
Bingo.

Does anyone have a list of both the Seahawk and Redskin players who have been given a suspension for PEDs? I had no idea that the Skins had 7 players suspended.

May be a stupid question... but is adderal okay to take if an athlete has a prescription? I'm guessing that's a no, but I know at the college level you can test positive for adderal as long as you have a prescription.

Tons of kids in college take adderal for their studies (and their parties) and I know it's a prescription that can be easily filled by docs. I personally know people that don't have ADD, walk into a doc in the box and get prescribed to adderal. Now that's a whole other problem we have with out society, but I'm just wondering about the legality of use in the NFL, if say a player actually had some form of ADD. I'm sure it actually could help a reciever learn the playbook.

Hell, I took it once or twice in college to study for some finals, and it enhance my ability to stay up late and stay focused.

May be a stupid question... but is adderal okay to take if an athlete has a prescription? I'm guessing that's a no, but I know at the college level you can test positive for adderal as long as you have a prescription. Tons of kids in college take adderal for their studies (and their parties) and I know it's a prescription that can be easily filled by docs. I personally know people that don't have ADD, walk into a doc in the box and get prescribed to adderal. Now that's a whole other problem we have with out society, but I'm just wondering about the legality of use in the NFL, if say a player actually had some form of ADD. I'm sure it actually could help a reciever learn the playbook. Hell, I took it once or twice in college to study for some finals, and it enhance my ability to stay up late and stay focused.
Yes, NFL players can take it if they have a prescription. But I don't think they can just walk into the doctor and get a prescription. They need to be diagnosed with ADHD by team doctors and be approved to take Adderall. To be allowed, the teams and NFL have to know the diagnosis and know the player is taking Adderall.

GroveDiesel said:
Oh, and the idea that Carroll didn't know what was going on is laughable. He was the one that introduced Bush to the shady characters. He is the one that organized "internships" for Bush and other players with these "sports marketers" that skirted the rules and ultimately ended up breaking the rules.

Carroll isn't a dupe, he is a masterful rule breaker. Only the chickens keep coming home to roost anyway.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/What-was-Pete-Carroll-s-part-in-the-USC-scandal-?urn=nfl,247361
I didn't say he didn't do or know anything, but how that makes him a cheater us silly. Bush was already in the team, already a star. In field attendance and performance weren't affected. Every successful program is dirty. Not saying that to excuse it or anything, just that I pretty much expect as much skirting of the rules as possible, and sometimes more, from any coach.

matttyl said:
Does anyone have a list of both the Seahawk and Redskin players who have been given a suspension for PEDs? I had no idea that the Skins had 7 players suspended.
Seadderal:Winston Guy

Alan Barbre

John Moffit

Brandon Browner

Bruce Irvin

Vai Tuau

Richard Sherman (successfully and rightfully appealed, can't suspend players after sloppy tests)

Here's a link to the article that mentions Redskins, but no names. With Sherman's appeal, they actually have one more that. Seattle.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/05/19/2603031/hey-pete-its-time-you-talked-about.html

GroveDiesel said:
VikingFrog said:
May be a stupid question... but is adderal okay to take if an athlete has a prescription? I'm guessing that's a no, but I know at the college level you can test positive for adderal as long as you have a prescription. Tons of kids in college take adderal for their studies (and their parties) and I know it's a prescription that can be easily filled by docs. I personally know people that don't have ADD, walk into a doc in the box and get prescribed to adderal. Now that's a whole other problem we have with out society, but I'm just wondering about the legality of use in the NFL, if say a player actually had some form of ADD. I'm sure it actually could help a reciever learn the playbook. Hell, I took it once or twice in college to study for some finals, and it enhance my ability to stay up late and stay focused.
Yes, NFL players can take it if they have a prescription. But I don't think they can just walk into the doctor and get a prescription. They need to be diagnosed with ADHD by team doctors and be approved to take Adderall. To be allowed, the teams and NFL have to know the diagnosis and know the player is taking Adderall.
Do teams have their own psychiatrists? I just assumed that team doctors dealt more with physical injuries and not diagnosing things like ADD or ADHD.

GroveDiesel said:
VikingFrog said:
Do teams have their own psychiatrists? I just assumed that team doctors dealt more with physical injuries and not diagnosing things like ADD or ADHD.
Any M.D. can prescribe medications, stimulants, psychotropics, or otherwise. Many internists/generalists prefer to refer out to psychiatrists for management of psychiatric disorders (e.g., ADHD, depression, anxiety), but don't have to.

Users who are viewing this thread