What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Budget cell carriers like Mint and Cricket -- worth it compared to AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile? (1 Viewer)

This is tempting. I love VZW but if they won't match this I may have to switch. 

is it just a flat $300/12mo? 
No "device fee" per phone or anything? 

Are there any downsides to prepaid vs Postpaid? Can you still add international service if you want? 
The total was $329 and change which I guess is tax but I'm not sure. Don't know about international. The downside would be if you use a lot of data you go over. I mainly use home wifi and never come close to data limit. I notice no speed issues but maybe if you use it out a lot you would? I really don't know.

The total was $329 and change which I guess is tax but I'm not sure. Don't know about international. The downside would be if you use a lot of data you go over. I mainly use home wifi and never come close to data limit. I notice no speed issues but maybe if you use it out a lot you would? I really don't know.
Thank you! That was my big question. 

Turns out Can/Mex are included, and you can add an international day pass but the guy said it was very limited (20-30 countries). That's my only hang up point right now. 

VZW has a similar plan but it's $50 for 3 months then $45 for 6 months THEN $40 until you quit. Can get $5 off for bill pay so $35/mo (so, close to ATT after 9mo) but MEX/CAN aren't included. One plus is the $10/day international travel pass is good for pretty much all countries. 

Usually I'll get a local sim for a country if I'm going to be there for a while, but for a week or less the travel pass is less hassle. 

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

Looks like when I pulled up all my family's data usage.  I about #### a brick. We have AT&T regular and just went with unlimited for everyone. I have a 16 year old driving now, a 14 year old who rides the bus and has a ton of activities, and a wife who doesn't know how to get anywhere in KC even though she's lived here her whole life. My daughter will be getting a phone next year when she turns 13. 

At this point I'd rather pay the high speed unlimited plan with a national carrier for the peace of mind. I don't have to worry about their data going slow in case they need mapping or whatever else they need. I kind of figure cell phone costs is just a cost I'm going to have to swallow from now until the end of time.

And I hate it. I used mine for texting and phone calls from time to time. I'd love to throw them all into an ocean and go back to sticks and stone tablets.

The bold is where we are at for now. Looked hard at leaving Verizon, but this non-prioritized data is a huge PITA at any large events. They gave just enough for both of our phones with cracked screens to make the gap to these discount carriers too small to matter

Last edited by a moderator:
Switching to Mint for a few months to see how it goes. I've only ever had Verizon, so this could get interesting (unfortunately, I don't get out to the boonies as much these days, so I think I can get away with not having Verizon).

Verzon just jacked up my rate by 20% out of the blue ($80 to $100 on a crappy plan that has two lines sharing 1GB of data).

Going to try to see if I can get away with using a hotspot for the small amount of internet needs at work (ultimately, I'm trying to get rid of the internet bill there). GIve it those couple months to see if the 5GB hotspot will cover it and if it's reliable.

I've done Cricket for a few years. $125/month for 5 lines. Only complaint I've had is when I got cell phones for my two daughters, neither of the numbers they gave me are local - both of my kids have different area codes.
One workaround for the area code issue is to grab a Google Voice number, which may have local numbers available, then transfer that number to your cell carrier. I did this successfully once when the carrier didn't have a local number available.

Switching to Mint for a few months to see how it goes. I've only ever had Verizon, so this could get interesting (unfortunately, I don't get out to the boonies as much these days, so I think I can get away with not having Verizon).

Verzon just jacked up my rate by 20% out of the blue ($80 to $100 on a crappy plan that has two lines sharing 1GB of data).

Going to try to see if I can get away with using a hotspot for the small amount of internet needs at work (ultimately, I'm trying to get rid of the internet bill there). GIve it those couple months to see if the 5GB hotspot will cover it and if it's reliable.
Nevermind. It's literally useless at work (2 miles away from my house where it works well).

Gonna try Visible.

Switched to AT&T prepaid last month from Verizon postpaid. Thought it'd be a hassle porting/transferring but was very easy. Was $325 total for 12 months after taxes. Get 16 total GB/month along with hotspot and unused rolls over I believe. So far so good.

Switched to AT&T prepaid last month from Verizon postpaid. Thought it'd be a hassle porting/transferring but was very easy. Was $325 total for 12 months after taxes. Get 16 total GB/month along with hotspot and unused rolls over I believe. So far so good.
Do you know how to find out if your phone is compatible? I couldn't tell from the website.

I'm looking to test out something that uses the AT&T network.

Most everything about Mint is phenomenal. Easy to deal with website, set-up, great prices, stellar coverage everywhere I've gone so far around town and at home...........but it gets zilch at work.

Trying to figure out a way to just get a cheap hotspot phone at work.

I wanted to try Visible, but they are telling me all of my phones that were used on Verizon and bought precisely because they'd work with any network aren't compatible. I have no idea how that's possible, unless Visible is just trying to sell me a phone. They're owned by Verizon, so who knows.

Do you know how to find out if your phone is compatible? I couldn't tell from the website.

I'm looking to test out something that uses the AT&T network.

Most everything about Mint is phenomenal. Easy to deal with website, set-up, great prices, stellar coverage everywhere I've gone so far around town and at home...........but it gets zilch at work.

Trying to figure out a way to just get a cheap hotspot phone at work.

I wanted to try Visible, but they are telling me all of my phones that were used on Verizon and bought precisely because they'd work with any network aren't compatible. I have no idea how that's possible, unless Visible is just trying to sell me a phone. They're owned by Verizon, so who knows.
Here is the phone list I used: https://www.att.com/idpassets/image...ource=EC1NAT10600aff12A&wtExtndSource=4485850

Here's the forum/thread I found deal from (helpful with questions): https://slickdeals.net/f/15847180-n...arch:result_id:15847180&src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Anyone with experience with Tello? I could get by on the $19 plan and it looks like it has excellent coverage in my area.

Currently with Consumer Cellular but saving $15 is saving $15.

Total WIreless might be an interesting player. Not a new player, but Verizon bought the parent company (Tracfone). It's now called "Total by Verizon".

Verizon is positioning it to compete directly with AT&T's Cricket and T-Moblie's Boost. I assume that means (as opposed to VIsible) that's their budget carrier that will also have some form of retail presence (in Best Buy and other places).

After I donated $150 to Mint (great service everywhere except where I need it), I've been trying to find the next plan. I had it down to Visible and Cricket. But VIsible seems really finicky about phones (they clearly want to sell you a new phone), and Cricket's a little on the high side for these MVNO's ($55 on autopay is the cheapest plan that gets a hotspot at all). And would always prefer to go with something on Verizon.

Visible seems ideal, but there's just something sketchy about the phone situation. There are literally YT tutorials about tricking them with fake IMEI numbers just to get a SIM card. Our phones were working on Verizon a month ago (and all phones for the last 20 years) and Visible rejected all of them. They are compatible with Total.

I think Total might be the ticket. Total's website now looks exactly like Verizon's site in the font and layout.
They've got some solid looking $30-40 plans with hot spot.

And seriously, anybody that lives in a good T-Mobile area, Mint is just phenomenal. Everything about the process is just great. Customer service, interface, cell/data service, at large, is just awesome. Keeping my wife on Mint. It's the absolute perfect plan for everywhere here (except where I work).

Cricket here - $110/month for four lines. I think they slow me down at 10GB data per month. Only the 16 year old hits that and i appreciate the parental help there. No issues. All good from my end.

We buy $200 Moto phones - I see no reason to fold a phone into a plan when cheap phones are quite good these days.
Now it's $100/mo for four lines, unlimited data. Still no complaints.

I'll second that Mint is great. Very good customer experience and prices. provided T-Mobile has good coverage in your area, I highly recommend.

Another happy Mint customer. Have been using it for three months after years with AT&T. Haven't noticed a single issue with service that I wouldn't also get with Ma Bell. About to buyin for a full year of Mint service and add my daughter to the plan.

Looks like I finally completed my switch from Mint to Total by Verizon (before that MInt from Verizon).

A couple things my ignorant soul learned along the way, for anyone wanting to switch for better deals.

-Have all your account info handy. And understand that some companies (like my beloved MInt) won't even tell you your account number until you need it to switch. They want you to talk to a human before leaving. I get it.

-I swear all these customer service agents all work for all the companies. Every time you talk to any of them, you need your IMEI and SIM number, and be ready to down the whole rabbit hole every time.

-Mint is so great. If you are gonna look for the best price, you need to go Covey and begin with the end in mind.

You need a company with a good enough customer service that they can be dealt with when you need to leave (you absolutely have to have that). Mint passes that in spades. Love that company.

So far Total is solid. If you really need Verizon service, but only want to spend $30-50 a month, it's legit.

And I just want to make one thing very clear as an old fart that was with Verizon for 20 years and hates hassle, if your current cell phone bill irritates you, just go for it with one of these companies. It's so much less hassle than I imagined.

These companies are in a dogfight for every last cell dollar. These companies know they really aren't dealing "us" as much anymore. By "us", I mean GenX and older that just pick one of the 3 overpriced companies and get bent over. We let them do it because we got a million other things going on, don't think about. We make enough money where it may not matter much, and frankly, we're just used to shelling out.

These companies are gearing up to fight for dollars from young broke people. People that will switch to save $5 a month.

That presents some nice opportunities and options.

And it's less hassle than most of us imagine because these companies are so used to people switching every day. I talked to two companies because I needed something from them so I could leave them. Fine experiences with all of them. They know there's a very real chance you might be back one day.

I am one of those old guys that has been with Verizon for 20 years too.... I pay approx $150/month for 4 lines after taxes, etc I haven't even looked into switching carriers. I think the equivalent on Total by Verizon is there basic plan which is $30/month. I pay $35/month for the 5G Start plan. I guess I could save $20/month if I were to switch....

edit: I just called Verizon and there apparently is a 55+ Loyalty Plan discount of $20/month that I qualified for.... My monthly payment will be approx $130/month now for 4 lines.

Last edited:
Anyone with experience with Tello? I could get by on the $19 plan and it looks like it has excellent coverage in my area.

Currently with Consumer Cellular but saving $15 is saving $15.
I used Tello for a year or two and was satisfied. My plan was for the minimum 4G data and minimum calls or text. The unlimited slowed down data was usually enough to power my calls/texts through google voice. Tello also has good customer service. Aside from price, the main difference I see is that Consumer Cellular uses AT&T and T-Mobile towers whereas Tello uses Sprint/T-Mobile.

I now have the Grandaddy of all budget cell plans. A free lifeline phone with unlimited data and hotspotting. I use this phone as the wifi for my chromebook when at home or in the woods. Amazing. I recommend it to everyone.

I am one of those old guys that has been with Verizon for 20 years too.... I pay approx $160/month for 4 lines after taxes, etc I haven't even looked into switching carriers. I think the equivalent on Total by Verizon is there basic plan which is $30/month. I pay $35/month for the 5G Start plan. I guess I could save $20/month if I were to switch....
You should pull your usage data. Some of these companies, such as Ting, have pretty low priced plans ($20-$25/month) but those plans are based upon your usage. If your usage exceeds the amount provided in those plans you'll pay upcharges each month which may negate the benefits of the plan. But if you're like me who uses his cell phone relatively little it works out great.

I am one of those old guys that has been with Verizon for 20 years too.... I pay approx $160/month for 4 lines after taxes, etc I haven't even looked into switching carriers. I think the equivalent on Total by Verizon is there basic plan which is $30/month. I pay $35/month for the 5G Start plan. I guess I could save $20/month if I were to switch....
You should pull your usage data. Some of these companies, such as Ting, have pretty low priced plans ($20-$25/month) but those plans are based upon your usage. If your usage exceeds the amount provided in those plans you'll pay upcharges each month which may negate the benefits of the plan. But if you're like me who uses his cell phone relatively little it works out great.
Line 1 had 21.5GB, Line 2 had 7GB, Line 3 had 12GB and Line 4 had 0GB (my 91 year old mom's flip phone....)

If you're on Verizon and want to stay a part of that network (several reviewers suggested keeping the same system if you move to a budget carrier), Visible seems pretty interesting. Flat $30/month per line and I can't find a lot bad about them.

If you're on Verizon and want to stay a part of that network (several reviewers suggested keeping the same system if you move to a budget carrier), Visible seems pretty interesting. Flat $30/month per line and I can't find a lot bad about them.
I was about to go with them, but ended up choosing Total.

Both pretty much owned by Verizon, I think. People seem to really like Visible.

There are a couple of things that held me back and led me to Total.

Visible just seems really finicky about phone selection. Mine wasn't eligible even though I had used it on Verizon (and it works fine on Total). Glancing around the interwebs that seemed to be a common theme. Visible seems to really want you to buy the phone from them.

I probably would have gone with Visible if my phone was compatible (or if I could see a sensible reason why it's not).

Visible is also currently going through some customer service issues. They just changed the plans and those issues seem to be related to that. Sounds like a temporary issue.

No evidence, but of the two I just get the sense that Verizon is going push Total more. They changed the name to Total by Verizon and the site looks identical to Verizon's. A lot of the customer service people I talked to would say they were from Verizon.

Again, I have no personal experience with Visible, so I have no idea, and people seem to really like it.

Either way, I'm glad there are multiple MVNOs that use the Verizon network.

P
FWIW, my Pixel 3a was immediately recognized and "approved" by Visible. I didn't pull the trigger yet, but I'm officially budget carrier curious.
If your phone is compatible, I say go for it.

Visible is a better deal than Total. I haven't seen anything that beats what VIsible and Mint offer at $30 a month.

One thing I've learned over the last couple months is that switching isn't that hard, so no reason not to try.

Also something I have no evidence of, but it seems like Verizon is gearing towards a 3-tier pricing model. Verizon being full price, Total moderately priced, and VIsible being the true budget carrier. Verizon has said Total is their Cricket competitor. I would take that to mean some retail locations and prices slightly above the totally online MVNO's (Mint, VIsible).

Visible really doesn't want my money.

My personal phone wasn't compatible, so I went with Total. It's a 2021 Moto G Power that works on both Verizon and Total.

But I wanted to add a line for the business, and Visible literally sells a 2022 Moto G Power. So I bought one on Amazon, hoping it would work. Nope. Works with Total of course.

I still can't figure out what kind of game Visible is playing with phones. I know they want you buy the phone from them, but I'm not dealing with a company that makes it hard to really bring your own phone.

These sorts of issues are all over their forums.
One theory is that Visible seems to only allow phones that have device features which allow Visible to restrict your usage regarding their plan limitations. Who knows. Something screwy is going on.

Just made the switch from Consumer Cellular to Tello. Easy port of number and set up to new service.

Service area very comparable for me atleast on the coverage map. Have had service minimum of 4G service every place I have been so far.

CC customer service has went down hill and saving a few extra bucks a month.

Just made the switch from Consumer Cellular to Tello. Easy port of number and set up to new service.

Service area very comparable for me atleast on the coverage map. Have had service minimum of 4G service every place I have been so far.

CC customer service has went down hill and saving a few extra bucks a month.
Switching my wife's phone from Mint to Tello with the Mint renewal coming up.

Mint is fine, but the paying 12 months in advance takes the shine off a little. For a lot of things, I like paying a year at a time. But for MVNO pre-paid phone service? It defeats the purpose a little. Fine if you're locking in an amazing price, but Tello's prices are basically the same as Mint, but paying monthly.

Tello's plans being super customizable is really awesome. For somebody that's almost always on WiFi and doesn't use the phone for talking very often, you can get some stupid cheap plans. My wife going with a $7 plan, for instance.

Also, a head's up for those needing Verizon service. Verizon Pre Paid prices have dropped a little.

Total is working great for me, but the Verizon Pre Paid price drop makes Total and VZ PrePaid pricing nearly identical. Main difference is Total offers a $30 plan while PrePaid does not, and $50 unlimited plan for Total comes with a little bigger hotspot (5 vs 10 GB). PrePaid is actually $5 cheaper on the 15GB plan.

Thanks for the heads up on the verizon price drop. I've been using that for over year and its been great. Its a no brainer for me with just needing the single line.

I still have Verizon and qualified for their 55+ Loyalty discount. It is $20/month. I get the auto pay discount too of $20/month. For 4 phones unlimited data and text I pay $140. I don't think that's too bad....

I'd like to try some other budget carrier or even go back to Fi, but in my rural WI area it's US Cellualr or no reception at all. Seems like US Cellular doesn't share their towers with others either.

I'd like to try some other budget carrier or even go back to Fi, but in my rural WI area it's US Cellualr or no reception at all. Seems like US Cellular doesn't share their towers with others either.
Yeah that's a tough one. Fi is the only MVNO that uses US Cellular best I can tell.

Have you looked into US Cellular Prepaid? $30 5GB and $40 unlimited plans seem solid. Nearly as good as you'll get on anything that doesn't run on T-Mobile towers.

US Cellular is odd. Outside of the midwest and certain small parts of the NE and the Carolinas, many may not know they exist. They are sort of the opposite of T-Mobile. Seems like US Cellular targets rural areas.

Users who are viewing this thread