What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bump Finley (2 Viewers)

If Graham and Finley traded teams, we all know Finley would be unstoppable having Mr. 70% accuracy throwing it a foot over every DBs head to finley 12 times a game. Much of this is situational more than it is an indication of finley's ability.
LOL. This is stupid. Finley couldn't sniff Graham's jock. What a load of garbage.
I will ask the same question others have already asked you: do you WATCH football games? If you read my entire post then you know that the point in that statement is that Finley plays on a team where the ball is spread around and they had o-line issues for part of the season and Finley was asked to block and play out of a multitude of route responsibilities. Graham, on the other hand, was locked onto Brees' radar in a rediculous fashion.The point was, Finley on a team where he is used as THE primary receiving weapon, the way Brees used Graham and throwing the ball up like he did would result in numbers for Finley where no one would be griping about him. In short, Finley's "issues" were minor and much more situational than talent based.

The point was, Finley on a team where he is used as THE primary receiving weapon,
Finley isn't good enough to be used as a primary receiving weapon. Also Brees spreads the ball around more than Rodgers.Your argument doesn't hold a lot of water, sorry.

Last edited:
The point was, Finley on a team where he is used as THE primary receiving weapon,
Finley isn't good enough to be used as a primary receiving weapon. Also Brees spreads the ball around more than Rodgers.Your argument doesn't hold a lot of water, sorry.
Green Bay passing attempts: 550Finley's targets: 92% of total targets: 16.7%New Orleans passing attempts: 662 Graham's targets: 149% of total targets: 22.5%We can all debate WHY Finley received a smaller share of the targets....but the fact is that Graham was used more.

Green Bay passing attempts: 550Finley's targets: 92% of total targets: 16.7%New Orleans passing attempts: 662 Graham's targets: 149% of total targets: 22.5%We can all debate WHY Finley received a smaller share of the targets....but the fact is that Graham was used more.
LOL, he was used more because he is a far more effective player. Finley doesn't belong anywhere near a list of elite players at the position and anybody who makes an argument otherwise is a complete idiot.

I really hope the Packers part ways with this joker. He is a blowhard who can't perform in the clutch. They did just fine with Quarless back there last season. They have DJ Williams in the wings and they could really do without Finley's mouth next year. He's a me guy who lacks the maturity and accountability. Good riddance I hope.
Animosity problems? LOL!! Someone needs to take some lorazepam or go to some anger management classes.

LOL, he was used more because he is a far more effective player. Finley doesn't belong anywhere near a list of elite players at the position and anybody who makes an argument otherwise is a complete idiot.
Or maybe he just didn't have a great year due to more drops than usual, an offense that likes to spread it around, and you're the one that's an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe he just didn't have a great year due to more drops than usual, an offense that likes to spread it around, and you're the one that's an idiot.
Or maybe he just sucks. You'll have to admit it sooner or later.

Hopefully the phase him out of the offense even more. Every time they need him he plays like crap.
Chill out man! You are cracking me up. :hophead:
He's at best the 4th most effective pass catcher on the team.
Why are you so mad all the time?

'Luke Skywalker said:
'Kitrick Taylor said:
I heard the same crap about Steve Smith. (CAR). How he was never that good to begin with. One year wonder. I believed in his talent throughout, and enjoyed a fantastic season from him this year. Not every player has their career arc on a perfect angle up. There have been plenty that have had up and down years, that still go on to have fantastic careers. Do yourself a favor and look at Jason Witten's career. Apparently the Packers thought he was worthy of over 7 Million dollars a season. That's top 5 for the position. I promise you that there is no way that Ted Thompson would pay him that kind of money unless he truly believed in his talent. That's good enough for me.

Apparently the Packers thought he was worthy of over 7 Million dollars a season. That's top 5 for the position. I promise you that there is no way that Ted Thompson would pay him that kind of money unless he truly believed in his talent. That's good enough for me.
If he truly believed in his talent he would've locked him up long term. Two years says they question his future. Do you think Graham, Gronkowski, Davis or Witten would take that deal? Of course not. Finley is far from elite.

Last edited:
Apparently the Packers thought he was worthy of over 7 Million dollars a season. That's top 5 for the position. I promise you that there is no way that Ted Thompson would pay him that kind of money unless he truly believed in his talent. That's good enough for me.
If he truly believed in his talent he would've locked him up long term. Two years says they question his future. Do you think Graham, Gronkowski, Davis or Witten would take that deal? Of course not. Finley is far from elite.
Gronk is playing for less than $500k this year, Graham less than $550k. Davis is only guaranteed $4.1M this, and nothing over the last 3 years of his deal. I'd say any of those 3 would be smart to do so, though I'm sure at least the first two would garner far more. I don't pretend to fully understand all the workings of NFL contracts and their rules...but Green Bay signing him to a TWO year deal rather than just franchising him for ONE tells me something, especially when that would have been cheaper.

It generally isn't Thompson's style to sign a lot of players to cap-straining long-term deals. One of the many reasons the team has been so successful.

I disagree. There are plenty of talented guys who just don't put it all together on the field. It appears Finley could be one of those guys. He had a great run in 2009 and he's young...that's what Thompson is banking on. He gave him 7 million per because of his talent and youth. He only did 2 years because of last year's production. If Finley continues to disappoint it's only a 2 year investment and they will let him walk. Seems like a win win for the Pack.

I disagree. There are plenty of talented guys who just don't put it all together on the field. It appears Finley could be one of those guys. He had a great run in 2009 and he's young...that's what Thompson is banking on. He gave him 7 million per because of his talent and youth. He only did 2 years because of last year's production. If Finley continues to disappoint it's only a 2 year investment and they will let him walk. Seems like a win win for the Pack.
They can cut him after one year and lose out on only 5.5 million I believe, if he doesn't play well.

Also, how do you know that this 2 year deal wasn't presented to Finley as the ONLY other option to being franchised? Up against the franchise tag, ANY NFL TE would have taken this contract. As such, you really can't look at this deal as a negative for Finley and say that it doesn't show the team has faith in him, they are running a business and have to do what's best for it.

Also, how do you know that this 2 year deal wasn't presented to Finley as the ONLY other option to being franchised? Up against the franchise tag, ANY NFL TE would have taken this contract. As such, you really can't look at this deal as a negative for Finley and say that it doesn't show the team has faith in him, they are running a business and have to do what's best for it.
It shows that they do not believe he is an elite NFL tight end, which was the whole point of this little argument. The above poster contended that Finley rivals Graham/Gronkowksi which is obviously ridiculous.

Last edited:
'Luke Skywalker said:
'Kitrick Taylor said:
He's got one more ring than Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski.

I think they are still afraid he'll get hurt(thus 2 year contract) and next will be a lot better.

They will let him walk in 2 years. By then DJ Williams will be ready, and Graham/Gronk will have gotten huge raises to inflate the TE salary cap figure.

This title seemed fitting to post under, considering I feel the exact same way regarding Finley. He's a talented knucklehead who makes too many mistakes and celebrates a bit too much any time he actually manages to hold onto the ball. IMO, he just seems about as clueless as they come which leads me to...

His agent. Is this guy Finley's cousin or something? There's no way this guy represents other players, does he? I just can't imagine actually representing an NFL player and tweeting like I'm a 5th grader.

Finley's agent, Blake Baratz, called Rodgers' leadership into question through a series of posts on his Twitter account.

The barrage of tweets actually began with Baratz criticizing Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, writing "U sound like a 6 yr old who just had his animal crackers taken. Quit being a #####, own up." Baratz then added, "There's a major difference & drop off in leadership from Manning, Brees, Brady, to the next best QB's in the league. Cutler doesn't get it."

When a Packers fan asked Baratz why Rodgers was not on his list of quarterbacks with elite leadership skills, he replied, "ARod is a great QB he isn't a great leader. There's a major difference. Leaders take the blame & make every1 better. He doesn't."

Link
The bolded just cracks me up. Then this clown follows that up by bashing his TE's star QB. It appears as though Baratz is the perfect agent for Finley.

I agree, Finley's a punk. I thought he had 'figured it out' after his superbowl Twitter debacle, but nope. Perfect example was his antics in the endzone during the San Fran game where he walked over the DB lying on the ground. It continued into the Chicago game. He's a man-child and it's only a matter of time before he does something really stupid. He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is.

DUMP Finley...

A year ago, the Packers and Jermichael Finley were posturing for a tussle regarding whether the looming decision to use the franchise tag would result in compensation paid to a tight end or a receiver. Now, the team is making plans for a divorce.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the Packers have decided to part ways with Finley after the season.

He could be cut, he could be traded. A $3 million roster bonus comes due on the 15th day of the new league year, which begins in March. Since trades can’t happen until the first day of the new league year, the Packers will have a two-week window for finding a trade partner.

Though it could be hard to get someone to trade for the one-year, $7 million remaining on the contract that the parties signed in February, the Packers possibly will be able to ship Finley to a team that would then sign him to a long-term deal.

Either way, Finley soon won’t have to worry about his lack of chemistry with quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

DUMP Finley...

A year ago, the Packers and Jermichael Finley were posturing for a tussle regarding whether the looming decision to use the franchise tag would result in compensation paid to a tight end or a receiver. Now, the team is making plans for a divorce.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the Packers have decided to part ways with Finley after the season.

He could be cut, he could be traded. A $3 million roster bonus comes due on the 15th day of the new league year, which begins in March. Since trades can’t happen until the first day of the new league year, the Packers will have a two-week window for finding a trade partner.

Though it could be hard to get someone to trade for the one-year, $7 million remaining on the contract that the parties signed in February, the Packers possibly will be able to ship Finley to a team that would then sign him to a long-term deal.

Either way, Finley soon won’t have to worry about his lack of chemistry with quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
Good riddance. He's just a mouth.

Looks like he is gone. Maybe a reunion with Philbin in Miami? He is not elite, but he is a huge upgrade for them.

With this season winding down, the heir apparent to Finley in Green Bay seems like a nice add right now. Who do we think it is? DJ Williams?

Not a shock.

When he signed that deal several of us thought he would never see year 2 of the contract without having some sort of an amazing year.

Good of Ted to have a low risk contract that costs them nothing to dump him.

link to the above quoted article Also from the article...

On Tuesday, one scout was asked to compare Finley to 31 other prominent tight ends on the basis of winning a game now. He tabbed 14 over Finley while giving Finley the edge over 17.

But on Thursday, after reconsidering his choices following extensive tape work on Finley, he moved these seven tight ends from being worse than Finley to being better: Brent Celek, Brandon Pettigrew, Greg Olsen, Anthony Fasano, Ed Dickson, Heath Miller and Marcedes Lewis.

Thus, Finley finished as the No. 22 tight end on that scout's board.

"He's that type of athlete that will fool people," the scout said in summation. "Unless you really, really dig and do your homework, and just look superficially, you'll say all he needs is just a change of scenery. The ego of most coaches will be, 'I can fix this guy.' "
So to me the question is, who will try to fix this guy...and can they do it

link to the above quoted article Also from the article...

On Tuesday, one scout was asked to compare Finley to 31 other prominent tight ends on the basis of winning a game now. He tabbed 14 over Finley while giving Finley the edge over 17.

But on Thursday, after reconsidering his choices following extensive tape work on Finley, he moved these seven tight ends from being worse than Finley to being better: Brent Celek, Brandon Pettigrew, Greg Olsen, Anthony Fasano, Ed Dickson, Heath Miller and Marcedes Lewis.

Thus, Finley finished as the No. 22 tight end on that scout's board.

"He's that type of athlete that will fool people," the scout said in summation. "Unless you really, really dig and do your homework, and just look superficially, you'll say all he needs is just a change of scenery. The ego of most coaches will be, 'I can fix this guy.' "
So to me the question is, who will try to fix this guy...and can they do it
Pats going to go 3 TEs?

I think that like Matt Flynn, we will learn a lot about Finley based upon how diligently Philbin pursues him. There is an obvious need for a play-making TE in Miami, and Philbin knows Finley as well as anybody. If he does not show interest, I believe that will be very telling.

Very glad that Finley will be gone. It's no coincidence that the Pack won a title without Barnett and Finley. Two guys who care more about personal stats than winning.

So.... now that he's back with GB, what are some predictions?

Last year was obviously weird with only 2 TDs, but his receptions did go up. I think his targets went from like 91 to 86 but his receptions jumped a bit from 55 to 61. Obviously people are down on him. Even when he finished TE5 in 2011, it was a disappointment as he was drafted with expectations of 1000+ yards. I was just looking at the stats and don't feel like pulling them up again, but he ended up with like 55/767/8 that year. Last year the ypr dropped as did his TD totals, but he wasn't as phased out as people seem to think - seeing only 5 less targets on the year.

With Jennings moving on and GB keeping him around, do they use him a little more? Does he step his game up and catch 65%-70% of his targets? He's always been a decent goal line options. The arrival of SJax would've hurt, but that was avoided.

I don't have the guy on any teams, but it appears he could be a solid value play in 2013 redrafts.

He's considered mud at this point. I wouldn't trade for him or draft him with too much expectation, but if you have him on your team, he's a lottery ticket.

I was very high on him back in the day. I'm not sure he is as fast as he was back then (since his 2010 knee injury), so he may not be the mismatch he was.

He finished last year pretty solidly. After the bye, he had 32-396-1 over 7 games. That projects to 73-905-2 for 16 games.

I could see 60-70 catches, 700-800 yards, and 4-8 TDs as his range, with some possible upside above that. After Gronk/Graham/Hernandez, I could see him falling into that next group. I would put him in the longshot category to finish top 4, but he could be not too far behind the guys more likely to finish there (Witten/Gonzo et al). Probably an adequate TE1 in the TE6-10 range, but not a difference maker.

McCarthy recently said he plans to streamline Finley's game down to the things he does the best.

After the bye last season, Rodgers and Finley spent a hour together every week working on their expectations from one another. Finley played much better in the second half of the season and didn't drop a pass.

I don't think Finley will get enough targets to compete with the top 3 TE's. However, he's getting to the age where he might just be growing up. The Packers thought enough of him to spend 8.25 Million on him this year, and Finley has the tools and the QB in place to put up good numbers.

I was very high on him back in the day. I'm not sure he is as fast as he was back then (since his 2010 knee injury), so he may not be the mismatch he was.
What was his injury? Something minor like cartilage removal, I think. Whatever it was, it is not to blame for his lack of success. He was never the fastest, strongest, or biggest TE. Athleticism was not the key to his fantasy success. System + targets will determine his worth. Well... assuming he doesn't drop those targets.

I still don't want anything to do with him unless I could get him dirt cheap. I got rid of him last year to upgrade at other areas. He's still a bonehead and it's just a matter of time before he starts flapping his gums again saying things he shouldn't be and he ends up in Aaron Rodgers dog house. I'd still be selling.

'FF Ninja said:
'Lott said:
What was his injury? Something minor like cartilage removal, I think. Whatever it was, it is not to blame for his lack of success. He was never the fastest, strongest, or biggest TE. Athleticism was not the key to his fantasy success. System + targets will determine his worth. Well... assuming he doesn't drop those targets.
It was a torn meniscus, not a huge injury. Before the injury, Finley had 21-304-1 through 4 games, with 2 100 yard games. That is a tremendous pace. The year before, in his first season getting real playing time, he had a couple of 100 yard games mixed in with a decent season. In two full seasons since then he hasn't had a 100 yard game. He hasn't had a 90 yard game. He hasn't had an 80 yard game since 2011. And he had a whopping 2 70 yards games last year.I picked Finley up in the preseason of 2009 because he looked uncoverable. He caught the ball with his hands away from his body. He was plenty athletic in terms of his body control, and was fast. Not Vernon Davis fast, but plenty fast for a TE. Finley got a ton of targets in large part due to his mismatch. I don't tune in to exclusively Green Bay games, but most of the catches I saw Finley make this past year were with a guy on his back. With the talent on that offense, The D cannot roll coverage to Finley... if he was the same, physically, as before then he should have had a monster year. Something is up. I hope it was just confidence, his own or his QB's confidence in him. But I didn't see the same mismatch out there in 2011 or 2012. :shrug:

Yeah, that's a really minor injury. Some guys even play through it, IIRC. I suspect his decrease in production has more to do with his drops and targets. With the development of the WRs on that team, they no longer used him for deeper routes. Plus, he was dropping intermediate to short passes, so why even throw him the ball deep? His catch rate during the second half last year is a positive sign, which is why I see him as a possible value play this year. I play non-ppr, so I'm as happy with 5/60/1 as I am with 8/120/0.

Yeah, that's a really minor injury. Some guys even play through it, IIRC. I suspect his decrease in production has more to do with his drops and targets. With the development of the WRs on that team, they no longer used him for deeper routes. Plus, he was dropping intermediate to short passes, so why even throw him the ball deep? His catch rate during the second half last year is a positive sign, which is why I see him as a possible value play this year. I play non-ppr, so I'm as happy with 5/60/1 as I am with 8/120/0.
I was just glancing over the top WR/TE/RB/H-Back target numbers from last year. Going down the list I wanted to try and find out who had the best target to catch ratios of the top targeted players.- Green Bay TE Jeremichael Finley had 77 targets thrown his way putting him in a four way tie with, SD TE Antonio Gates, ST WR Chris Givens, and Detroit TE Tony Schefter.

- Their were 56 players who were targeted more last year in the entire NFL of the combined WR + TE + RB + H-Back positions than Finley.

- Their were 14 TE's targeted more last year than Finley.

- Finley caught 53 of his 77 targets for a target to cath ratio of 68.8%

Of the 54 players who were target more often than Finley only seven had a higher target to catch ratio:

1. BAL RB Ray Rice was targeted 83 times catching catching 61 of those passes for a 73.5% target to catch ratio

2. MIN WR/RB/KR Percy Harvin was targted 85 times catching 62 for a target to catch ratio of 72.9%

3. NO RB D. Sproles had 94 targets catching 67 of them for a target to catch ratio of 71.3%

4. OAK TE Brandon Myers had 97 targets 75 catches for a Target To Catch (TTC) ratio of 77.3%

5. GB WR Randall Cobb had 104 targets 80 catches TTC ratio 76.9%

6. ATL TE Tony Gonzalez 113 targets 88 catches TTC ratio 77.9%

7. DAL TE Jason Witten 139 targets 103 catches TTC ratio 74.1%

I keep hearing how bad Finley is, how terrible he is catching the football, huh. I didn't notice anything bad when I saw him last year.

When you put things into perspective, put it into a broader context like seeing how he stacks up agaist other players who get the most targets in the NFL and see where his target to catch ratio measures well...

He stacks up solidly in the top ten of target to catch ratio.

The next time you hear how good or bad a guy is to do your own homework, take a step back and put how good/bad he is into the context of the rest of the league.

Also I imagine the Packers know Finley's value because they've decided to continue paying him like a top TE in the NFL.

The next time you hear how good or bad a guy is to do your own homework, take a step back and put how good/bad he is into the context of the rest of the league.
Yeah brah, do your homework: TE drops Catch % and drop % are different. Homeboy dropped a lot of catchable balls the last two years. But he and Rodgers worked together last year and he improved towards the end of the season. Thus, I bumped this thread stating that he may be a good value target this year.

P.S. All your stats are wrong. He was neither targeted 77 times nor did he catch 53 balls last year.

Yeah brah, do your homework: TE drops Catch % and drop % are different. Homeboy dropped a lot of catchable balls the last two years. But he and Rodgers worked together last year and he improved towards the end of the season. Thus, I bumped this thread stating that he may be a good value target this year.

P.S. All your stats are wrong. He was neither targeted 77 times nor did he catch 53 balls last year.
PFF does their own thing in compiling stats but they are not the only site who culs data.Pro Football Focus recently advertised an opening for one of thier analyst positions where it stated the person would have to have NFL Network game rewind and use their own time to compile stats on games and submit thier analysis on a weekly basis.

Basically the people who compile their stats are regular Joes who are into the game and more-or-less put in their own time because they get very little monetary compensation.

Great site but some NFL players have openly disputed their stats because the data they come up with is the interpretation of guys who may or may not have any scouting background but they have access the NFL Network and have some free time.

I got my stats from a fantasy site and can't share the entire list because its their material.

I'm sure you can appreciate that I don't accept your BS stat remark brah.

Sorry my bad.

Those stats were up thru week 16 and did not include the final week of the season.

So those were up to week sixteen which would basically be of importance to the fantasy community unless you play your championship game on week 17.

So I guess the stats I hadn't weren't accurate to week 17 but are more valuable to the fantasy community brah.

Oh one other thing.

ESPN has Finley with 88 targets:

My link

Jermichael Finley Stats

SEASON 2012

TEAM GB

TGTS 88

YAHOO has Finley with 87 targets:

My link

Jermichael Finley: Career Statistics

2012-13

Tgt 87

Funny that different sites come up with different stats especially when it is with a personal interpretation like if a guy was the target or not.

PFF isn't thee undisputed stat site.

I like em, they are great but stats for something like targets are open to interepation so you will be disputed if you hold up one site as the be-all end-all of correctly interpeting targets.

I won't use my source as undisputed but I won't accept someone who tells me PFF's stats can't be questioned.

They can and should be and so should mine but in any case the Pack made the call to continue paying Finley so they obviously see value there.

I agree that PFF isn't beyond refute, but it's not like they're saying he's had 19 drops and everyone else is saying he's had 2. Finley has dropped a LOT of balls the past 2 seasons. And for our discussion, drops are much more important than rec/targ ratio. Catch % is strongly correlated with QB accuracy. In the last two seasons, Rodgers has finished #2 and #3 in completion percentage. So Finley has an advantage over all those other TEs you mentioned. He can drop a few passes and still have a higher catch/target ratio because he's seeing more balls on target while the other guys are forced to dive for balls out of reach.

So I'm not telling you PFF's stats can't be questioned. What I'm telling you is that you are comparing apples to oranges. Drop % and Catch % are not the same. Find a source other than PFF that has his drops (I've seen as low as 7 last year compared to PFF's 9). You won't be able to find one that says he's been a good pass catcher the last two years.

But again, I actually think we view him similarly for 2013. I feel like he turned things around the second half of last year as far as his reliability. His targets were still low and they weren't deep routes as far as I can tell. IF his targets and quality of targets increase then he'll be a value play next year. Maybe not a steal, but at least provide great value. After just 61 rec, sup 11 ypr, and only 2 TDs, he's going to be cheap. I feel like he could easily hit 70 receptions. If he can get back on a 12-13 ypr pace, we're talking about 800-900 yards. If he's got Rodgers' trust, then maybe he sees some more goal line looks. 70/875/7 would work for me from a guy like going as TE10-12.

Using ESPN's target numbers instead of PFF to compile the drop-ratio will severely skew the drop ratio and we are only talking about a discrepency of 3 targets.

- Using Yahoo's 87 targets decreases Finley's drop ratio down to 10.34%

- ESPN says 88 targets which decreases the PFF drop ratio for Finley from over 13% down to 10.22%

Using ESPN's target/catch numbers. Finley began last year poorly in terms of target to catch ratio where he was targeted a season high 11 times in the first game but only had 7 catches for only 47 yards. The second game he was targeted 6 times with 4 receptions for only 26 yards. The next two games he was solid catching 4 of 5 balls in each of those games for 60 and 54 yards but over the next five games he was targeted 20 times only having 10 catches for a combined 84 yards, zero TDs.

That was the low.

Right around this point during the season Finley publically griped about not getting the ball and Rodgers bristled at Finley's public complaint about not getting the ball.

Packer fans ripped into Finley because he wasn't producing and they noticed his drops.

The final seven games he was targeted 41 times catching 32 of those targets for 394 yards with 1 TD.

It seems he turned things around but stil needs to be more involved inthe redzone.

Users who are viewing this thread