What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buzzam - Our New iPhone Radio App Is Live (1 Viewer)

GregStarling

Footballguy
So finally after two years of development, our iOS radio app is finally live, and I just wanted to say thank you to all the beta testers from this board. I know some people liked the idea we were tackling, but didn't want to mess with the craziness that is dealing with buggy software. If you'd like to check out the app, you can download it directly: here or just search Buzzam in the app store.

We've just got some pretty decent coverage in Wired where the comment was "I've been waiting for someone to build something like this."

We're very much in the get feedback and tweak stage so any advice, suggestions, or just general comments about making it better are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, everyone. It's been a crazy ride already, and it's just at the very beginning.

Bump for Greg. Congrats buddy. Sure it's been a lot of work. Make sure and bump again Monday. Saturdays are bad for things like this.

Just downloaded it, looks very promising! Nothing like rolling from Slayer "South of Heaven" into a Ted Talk.

PAndora integration?
The Pandora guys lock everything down where outside people can't work with them. We are working on Grooveshark integration. Hopefully, we get big enough to put pressure on them to allow us to integrate.
Cool. I don't keep a lot of music on my phone ?right now have none so the app froze up when it true to play a song.
Thanks for the feedback. As sucky as this type of stuff is (and I apologize for that), seeing things we overlooked in testing is super helpful. We're working through the list of new bugs. Thanks again.

Downloading it now. Looks like its got immense potential. If I have any issues/complains, I'll post them in here.

Ill post positive testimonials here and in an app review. Good luck :thumbup:

Oh, and voice packs as a premium ($) add-on would be cool so you can change from old school robot voice to others

Downloaded.

So jealous, I've always wanted to build an iPhone app. Love the idea, good luck with it.

I tried logging in to Spotify, but it tells me that it "needs a premium account" (I already have a spotify premium account).

5 star review coming.

Crashes when I try to link to Spotify
Spotify is an awesome service, but their dev support not so much. The problem is on their end, and we're working with them to correct it. Please keep trying, and thanks so much for the patience with the early bugs.

Oh, and voice packs as a premium ($) add-on would be cool so you can change from old school robot voice to others
This is definitely something we'd like to do. We're looking at hiring DJs to do things like traffic and weather without a premium add on. Our goal is to make this as close to sounding like real radio as possible. We just need a good launch to be able to justify the cost of bringing on voice talent. So far, things are going pretty well.

Downloaded.

So jealous, I've always wanted to build an iPhone app. Love the idea, good luck with it.

I tried logging in to Spotify, but it tells me that it "needs a premium account" (I already have a spotify premium account).

5 star review coming.
Thanks so much. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. We are working with Spotify to correct the problems, please keep trying. Sorry you're basically being treated like a beta user. It's really unacceptable for a full release, but here we are.The 5 star review is unbelievably nice of you. That is really where the app will live or die. Reviews are the lifeblood of apps. I really owe any of you guys that give them a drink or something. Also, Facebook likes are huge as well.

If any of you guys would like a t-shirt (you can see what they look like by going to our Facebook page and clicking photos, shoot me an email greg@buzz.am

A sleep timer would be a cool addition in the future
Love the idea, how would you see it implemented? I mean, where would it make sense to be, and how would you like it to work?
Like the Podcasts app from Apple. That app is meh in general, but they nailed the sleep timer. Basically, this would allow me to go to sleep with Buzzam playing in the background and not have it go all night longLonger term it would be sweet to build in alarm/on functionality tooThen I could go to sleep and wake up to Buzzam :thumbup:

A sleep timer would be a cool addition in the future
Love the idea, how would you see it implemented? I mean, where would it make sense to be, and how would you like it to work?
Like the Podcasts app from Apple. That app is meh in general, but they nailed the sleep timer. Basically, this would allow me to go to sleep with Buzzam playing in the background and not have it go all night longLonger term it would be sweet to build in alarm/on functionality tooThen I could go to sleep and wake up to Buzzam :thumbup:
Really like those ideas. The alam would be very cool. Have to look at the complexity to add these things and get the queued up.

This is definitely something we'd like to do. We're looking at hiring DJs to do things like traffic and weather without a premium add on. Our goal is to make this as close to sounding like real radio as possible. We just need a good launch to be able to justify the cost of bringing on voice talent. So far, things are going pretty well.
:thumbup: Think you guys are doing the right thing by focusing on the core experience first. If you nail that, you'll have plenty of people clamoring for these sorts of little add-ons. There's so much potential on where to grow from here. Good luck!!PS - Spotify still not working here

5 stars given
You're the man. Thank you so much.
Very jealous. I fashion myself as a tech startup expert but my lack of coding ability holds me back. I'm proud of the business I have - very proud - bit would trade it in a minute to have something software based (I'm in hardware). Proud of having an Ifriend doing this!
I'd highly recommend finding a good dev and teaming up with him/her if you have a good idea. Especially if you already have some good business experience.

I have a great developer. We meet once a month for coffee and brainstorm. But he's on contract with eBay and only 22 years old so his motivation to dig in for something else with me is low. Can't blame him.

I have a great developer. We meet once a month for coffee and brainstorm. But he's on contract with eBay and only 22 years old so his motivation to dig in for something else with me is low. Can't blame him.
Yeah, that's tough. Keep drinking coffee and give him a couple of years. He'll come around.

Thanks for the heads up on the app and for the work, appreciate it. Just downloaded and setup, going to listen on my ride home.

Thanks for the heads up on the app and for the work, appreciate it. Just downloaded and setup, going to listen on my ride home.
Please let me know what you think, and if there is anything we can do to make it better. The Rdio and Spotify not working like they should sucks. It works for some people but not others. One problem with building an aggregation service is if the sources have bugs, we have bugs. Would love to add features you guys think might make it better.

Downloaded it this weekend. Really like the concept. Couple items:

1) any other music services being considered to expand in this? I know you mentioned Grooveshark possibly and that Pandora is basically gated, Spotify is tough without (apparently) a premium account and/or A FB account. What about something like Songza?

2) if a podcast errors out for some reason (it's kind of hit or miss with the RSS feeds IMO), the app keeps trying to re-load it rather than just moving on to the next item on the list. Even hitting the FF button didnt seem to help. Maybe a "two strikes and you're out" rule?

Great app guys, I really like how this works!

Only problem I foresee is that I pay for iCloud and essentially stream my MP3 collection off of iTunes. Was able to get a smaller iPhone 5 that way. You figure out a way to let it interact and pull from a shuffle of what I have in iCloud, and I'd likely pay for this app.

ETA: GPS lookup is constant, and I imagine will drain the battery pretty quick. Any way to just do one check and kill that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloaded it this weekend. Really like the concept. Couple items:1) any other music services being considered to expand in this? I know you mentioned Grooveshark possibly and that Pandora is basically gated, Spotify is tough without (apparently) a premium account and/or A FB account. What about something like Songza?2) if a podcast errors out for some reason (it's kind of hit or miss with the RSS feeds IMO), the app keeps trying to re-load it rather than just moving on to the next item on the list. Even hitting the FF button didnt seem to help. Maybe a "two strikes and you're out" rule?
1) Songza is a definite possibility as well as iCloud and Amazon's Music Cloud.2) You're 100% right. This is something we have to handle better. We've also thought about adding something like if you skip a podcast X number of times, give you an option to remove it from your sources.Thanks for the feedback. We still have a lot of work in front of us to get it where it needs to be.

Good morning, I have a couple of questions regarding the App,

Is there a way to fast forward over certain selections? What I mean is if you want to avoid News or a Twitter feed, is there a way to skip over the selection?

Also is the app pulling from a persons Data plan if you are listening in the car or a place without wifi?

Good morning, I have a couple of questions regarding the App,Is there a way to fast forward over certain selections? What I mean is if you want to avoid News or a Twitter feed, is there a way to skip over the selection?Also is the app pulling from a persons Data plan if you are listening in the car or a place without wifi?
Uhm... the skip button works great.And yes, of course it is using your data plan if not on WiFi.

Good morning, I have a couple of questions regarding the App,Is there a way to fast forward over certain selections? What I mean is if you want to avoid News or a Twitter feed, is there a way to skip over the selection?Also is the app pulling from a persons Data plan if you are listening in the car or a place without wifi?
Uhm... the skip button works great.And yes, of course it is using your data plan if not on WiFi.
Basically what he said. :)

Users who are viewing this thread