What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C.J. Spiller Hype(r) Train (1 Viewer)

I think I'm finally going to drop him if anything decent pops up on the waiver wire this week. I just can't wait it out any longer.

I think I'm finally going to drop him if anything decent pops up on the waiver wire this week. I just can't wait it out any longer.
Someone ended up dropping Willis Mcgahee, so I had to let Spiller go. I would rather have the Baltimore RB situation locked up (I own Rice) than to play the waiting game on Spiller. It's getting a little too late in the season to sit and wait.

Currently starting him over M Bush in a non PPR return yards league this week. I'm hoping they give him more touches for the Toronto crowd.

traded him to the Fred Jackson owner for Amendola. Still love him long term but redraft I just couldn't keep him eating up a roster spot. He could see more carries in the 2nd half of the season but I needed WR help.

Traded for Spiller (Brandon Jackson + Bernard Scott). We keep 12 of 24 and BJ & BJ were not anywhere near keepers for me. I'm loaded enough that I can take a chance on Spiller panning out. I did the same with Deangelo years back and that paid off (at least for a while). Talent's there, let's see what happens.

While his shot at being a good weekly starter this year seems slim, is everyone still high on him for next year?

I was offered an early 1st next year (1.3-1.5 range) very early 2nd (2.1 or 2.2) and Hernandez for Spiller today. I don't really want to give up on him, but would anyone consider moving him for that in a PPR dynasty?

Spiller's touches have been going up for the past 4 weeks 3, 6, 7 , 10

His per carry average is higher than Fred Jackson 4.1 to 4.0 and his per carry average over the last the last 5 weeks is 7.3, 5.5 , 6.2, 4.7 and 2.8 over 5 yds per carry during that span.

I think over the next couple of weeks he will take over the primary back role getting around 15 touches and 80-100 total yds regularly. If you get return yds and tds he will be very serviceable.

While his shot at being a good weekly starter this year seems slim, is everyone still high on him for next year?I was offered an early 1st next year (1.3-1.5 range) very early 2nd (2.1 or 2.2) and Hernandez for Spiller today. I don't really want to give up on him, but would anyone consider moving him for that in a PPR dynasty?
unless you want a wr next year no. the rb's outside of ingram suck in next years draft.

Dropped him a couple weeks ago for Kitna as I needed a QB as a bye week fill in and Spiller was undoubtedly the worst player on my roster...The fact that he didnt even make it thru waivers reminded me off how much potential I saw when drafting him and also left me :shrug: that there's still some schmucks out there who want this guy on their team.

I also cant believe my top 2 RB picks on this team were Stewart and Spiller yet im in sole possession of 2nd place at 6-3 and 1 game out of first. Miraculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
While his shot at being a good weekly starter this year seems slim, is everyone still high on him for next year?I was offered an early 1st next year (1.3-1.5 range) very early 2nd (2.1 or 2.2) and Hernandez for Spiller today. I don't really want to give up on him, but would anyone consider moving him for that in a PPR dynasty?
Accept immediately. You might be able to land Ingram with one of the firsts and if not you get a legit shot at Green, Jones, or Blackmon. I think you are getting offered way more than he will ever be worth.

While his shot at being a good weekly starter this year seems slim, is everyone still high on him for next year?

I was offered an early 1st next year (1.3-1.5 range) very early 2nd (2.1 or 2.2) and Hernandez for Spiller today. I don't really want to give up on him, but would anyone consider moving him for that in a PPR dynasty?
Accept immediately. You might be able to land Ingram with one of the firsts and if not you get a legit shot at Green, Jones, or Blackmon. I think you are getting offered way more than he will ever be worth.
I ended up waiting, and got an even better offer. Hernandez, 1st, and 3 2nd rounders next year.

Honestly, this should be enough to fire Buddy Nix immediately. It was bad enough when the Bills wasted a high first round pick on Aaron Maybin, at least that was a position of need. But Nix takes Spiller when RB wasn't really much of a need compared to lots of other positions and he's barely getting any playing time.

Meanwhile, the OT position is still awful, the entire front 7 on the defense needs to be replaced, and Donte Whitner is still a bum. What a joke.

I don't know if it's because Spiller is having trouble picking up blitzes or what, but it seems absurd that he's not getting more touches. You don't take a RB that high and not play him in his first year. But at this point, it's pretty clear that that's exactly what is going to happen. Spiller is a total bust this year. Even if Jackson gets hurt, I would bet that the Bills would use newly signed Ganther just as much as they use Spiller.

I ended up waiting, and got an even better offer. Hernandez, 1st, and 3 2nd rounders next year.
you really should accept now. And I find it hard to believe that Ingram will be the only back worth taking in the draft. What about that kid from Oklahoma?

Looks like Spiller is officially getting the Jamaal Charles treatment. I just read on Twitter that Gailey has said that he isn't going to use Spiller at all in the slot to help replace Parrish. The ONLY reason to hold him in a redraft league would be if you have REALLY deep rosters and are hoping for a Fred Jackson injury.

Is this guy just too dumb for NFL? Running reads shouldn't be that hard to pick up, some would claim it's the easiest position to learn.

Spiller's touches have been going up for the past 4 weeks 3, 6, 7 , 10 His per carry average is higher than Fred Jackson 4.1 to 4.0 and his per carry average over the last the last 5 weeks is 7.3, 5.5 , 6.2, 4.7 and 2.8 over 5 yds per carry during that span.I think over the next couple of weeks he will take over the primary back role getting around 15 touches and 80-100 total yds regularly. If you get return yds and tds he will be very serviceable.
Really? 80-100 yards from scrimmage regularly over the next few weeks?

FarEastKilla said:
Is this guy just too dumb for NFL? Running reads shouldn't be that hard to pick up, some would claim it's the easiest position to learn.
FWIW, he graduated in 3 1/2 years from Clemson. I'm not saying he should have been a Rhodes Scholar, but he should be able to handle things mentally.

Honestly, this should be enough to fire Buddy Nix immediately. It was bad enough when the Bills wasted a high first round pick on Aaron Maybin, at least that was a position of need. But Nix takes Spiller when RB wasn't really much of a need compared to lots of other positions and he's barely getting any playing time. Meanwhile, the OT position is still awful, the entire front 7 on the defense needs to be replaced, and Donte Whitner is still a bum. What a joke. I don't know if it's because Spiller is having trouble picking up blitzes or what, but it seems absurd that he's not getting more touches. You don't take a RB that high and not play him in his first year. But at this point, it's pretty clear that that's exactly what is going to happen. Spiller is a total bust this year. Even if Jackson gets hurt, I would bet that the Bills would use newly signed Ganther just as much as they use Spiller.
I understand why this is viewed as an indictment of Buddy Nix......but doesn't it reflect even more poorly on Gailey????

Im not saying this guy is mentally challenged, Book smart doesn't always translate to football smart and vice versa This is a clear case. IMO

FarEastKilla said:
FWIW, he graduated in 3 1/2 years from Clemson. I'm not saying he should have been a Rhodes Scholar, but he should be able to handle things mentally.

Im not saying this guy is mentally challenged, Book smart doesn't always translate to football smart and vice versa This is a clear case. IMO

FarEastKilla said:
Show me a RB that wouldn't look dumb in that offense.

All offseason I've sat back and listened to a lot of naysayers, witnessed many fantasy owners automatically peg this kid as the 4th rated (and selected in rookie drafts as such) player in this 2010 class. Well, I know there are probably other threads in here pimping Spiller....but I'm adding another to keep it real. And yes, we're definitely not late to the party as I own Spiller in multiple dynasty leagues. So without further ado, here is why you should love this kid. DYNAMIC TALENTEven if you hadn't seen him play much in college, once the official record showed that Spiller had scored 21 TDs of over 50 yards during his college career, this alone should have grabbed your full attention. PLAYS HURTOne subtle thing that I observed, even from his YouTube highlight pkgs, is that Spiller's Soph and Jr. season tape, his playing speed is faster than his final season. It was pretty well known that he was dealing with a "turf toe" injury for much of the season, yet continued to play through it and have a great season. Yet many question his toughness and durability???VERSATILITYAside from the return game, Spiller is a homicide dual-threat who is able to run and catch out of the backfield with great effectiveness. And the reports from his Pro Day were glowing in regards to how well he caught the ball in drills. In PPR leagues, this kid should be moved up the ranks quite a bit actually given the little hints of information let out by HC Gailey on how they plan to use this guy.....all over the field.Finally, and I don't care that it was preseason, that TD run should have validated the point that he is special. There are only 3, maybe 4, other RBs in the league (CJ2k, "All-Day", Best, and maybe Reg Bush) who could make those types of moves in tight space as Spiller did on the 31-yd TD run vs Indy. First, the start-stop on 2 feet-and start back up again with lightning quicks to avoid the D-Lineman in the backfield was outright special....continuing on through the hole (between the tackles, I might add), with burst/explosion to pop throgh heading to the the 2nd level, and then make a darting cut at high-speed to avoid the safety closing in to make the stop was another display of rare ability. Those two moves, either alone was special, put in combination on one run sealed the deal.....Nuff said!It's Spiller time!
Think we're finally seeing this. :thumbup:

DAMN this guy is good....Fred Jackson owner and now i'm scared when jackson comes back, there won't be a starting spot for him anymore..

DAMN this guy is good....Fred Jackson owner and now i'm scared when jackson comes back, there won't be a starting spot for him anymore..
It'll probably be a RBBC maybe Spiller gets more, but it's going to hurt the fantasy value of both, but will be better for the Bills because Buffalo doesnt care about my or your fantasy team.

so will we have a possible sift in thinking, and having CJ keep the main RB job if he keeps this up?

I mean he will be the #1 RB after this week, why would you slipt time if you have the #1 RB?

so will we have a possible sift in thinking, and having CJ keep the main RB job if he keeps this up?I mean he will be the #1 RB after this week, why would you slipt time if you have the #1 RB?
How could you pull out the MVP of your team? He's fire right now!

It'll probably be a RBBC maybe Spiller gets more, but it's going to hurt the fantasy value of both, but will be better for the Bills because Buffalo doesnt care about my or your fantasy team.
You're in denial.........seriously.
You really think when FJax is healthy again, he goes to backup role and spells Spiller here and there so he can get a rest? When he was a top 10 back last year himself? I don't think I'm the one in denial here..

Have you bothered to watch today's game? Spiller has been their offense. He dominated early in to get the bills a quick lead. Has been dangerous on every single touch.

You really think when FJax is healthy again, he goes to backup role and spells Spiller here and there so he can get a rest? When he was a top 10 back last year himself? I don't think I'm the one in denial here..
Man oh man, good luck with your season.

I don't have Spiller OR FJax, doesn't bother me either way. Just stating my unbiased opinion. As far as seasons go.. Good luck with yours.

I don't have Spiller OR FJax, doesn't bother me either way. Just stating my unbiased opinion. As far as seasons go.. Good luck with yours.
I own neither & I'm with you. I mean ya I guess it could be 70/30 in favor of Spiller if he continues to average 10ypc for the next month but that probably won't happen. Most likely it'll be close to 50/50. Recency bias is a powerful thing, which is why every square on the planet loved the Ravens & Chiefs yesterday.

I own neither & I'm with you. I mean ya I guess it could be 70/30 in favor of Spiller if he continues to average 10ypc for the next month but that probably won't happen. Most likely it'll be close to 50/50. Recency bias is a powerful thing, which is why every square on the planet loved the Ravens & Chiefs yesterday.
I own Spiller and I was in denial (the other way) until yesterday. I was fully convinced Jackson would take over again when he comes back, but there's no denying Spiller has been more effective than Jackson as the starter...this year AND last year. Jackson may have been a top back last year when healthy, but so was Spiller. And now Spiller looks unstoppable. If Spiller doesn't fall flat in the next 2 games, I think he gets at least 65% of the touches when FJax comes back, if not more like 70-75%.

I have FJax in three leagues, but I think he's gonna have a hard time taking back over as the main guy considering the way Spiller is playing. Regardless of how well Jackson played last year, you don't put a guy who is playing like Spiller is on the bench. I could see them easing Jackson back into action, increasing his touches a little every week when he gets back, but I don't see him coming back and him taking over most of the RB touches again just like that.

Redraft I think I'm selling soon. Cle, Ne, sf, Ari, ten, hou and F-Jax coming back. I want to think they will continue to ride Spiller but they are not that logical. He's been behind FJax for two years. Only to have value because of injuries. I'm going for McFadden or something ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread