What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cadillac on MNF? (1 Viewer)

Pittsburgh United

Footballguy
Does anyone here think Cadillac will have a decent night on MNF - decent enough to start him? The Panthers D is only so-so against the run. Thoughts?

Good writeup on ESPN about Cadillac's opportunity tonight

TAMPA, Fla. -- If you were in Mobile, Ala., in January of 2005, you saw a case of love at first sight.

Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden was coaching in the Senior Bowl and each day he would come off the practice field and rave about Auburn running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams. Gruden didn't try to hide his feeling that he'd found the perfect running back for his system, telegraphing what he would do with the fifth overall pick in the draft a few months later.

He drafted Williams, turned him into the Offensive Rookie of the Year and the story was supposed to just keep getting better and better. Maybe it will after a long and very painful pause.

On Monday night, the Bucs will travel to Carolina for an NFC South showdown. On Monday night, Williams will return to Bank of America Stadium, the place where his career almost ended a little more than a year ago. On Monday night, Gruden and the Bucs may need Williams more than ever.

"This is a place to get rid of all the whispers and the doubters and get everybody on the bandwagon," Williams said.

There was more than whispers and doubt on that day in September 2007 when Williams shredded his patellar tendon.

"I broke outside," Williams said. "The safety (Chris) Harris was coming down. I was heading toward the sideline and was looking to make a cut back. When I planted with my right foot, it kind of just gave out and that's when he hit me at the top."

What happened next wasn't pretty. Williams crumpled to the ground and grown men panicked. The play happened right in front of the Carolina bench and Panthers receiver Steve Smith, sensing the seriousness of the injury, immediately began screaming for trainers to assist his fallen rival.

"As soon as it happened, I knew it was something bad," Williams said.

That was obvious as Williams was carted off the field. As news of the severity of the injury spread, there was speculation that Williams' career was over. At the very least, the assumption was that Williams would be out until 2009 and probably never be the same player again.

But, after a grueling rehabilitation, Williams is back and he's shown signs he might be as good as new. Williams spent most of this season on the physically unable to perform list, but made his return two weeks ago against Detroit and followed it up last week by scoring his first touchdown of the season against New Orleans.

With veteran Warrick Dunn in the starting role, the Bucs have brought Williams along slowly. He's carried 20 times for 47 yards. But the process could speed up dramatically Monday night.

The Bucs and Panthers each are 9-3 and this game could go a long way in deciding the NFC South title. Dunn is 33 and the Bucs don't want to overuse him. Dunn's been starting only since Earnest Graham went out for the season with a knee injury a few weeks ago.

In what should be a tough, physical game, Tampa Bay may need a running back who can grind it out and that's why the story of Williams' injury and comeback truly could come full circle.

"We're trying to get him back in the mix," Gruden said. "Warrick Dunn is a guy that has really helped us. His rushing and receiving and overall ability is something we've leaned on with Earnest going out. But we'd like to see a little bit more of Carnell and, if practice is any indication and his last two outings, I think he will.''

Remember, Gruden never has tried to disguise his feelings about Williams. As Williams went through his rehab, Gruden repeatedly talked about what a great story it was. The Bucs have been cautious with Williams in his first two games. But Gruden admitted he would have liked to get Williams a few more carries.

"I probably should have given him the ball a little bit more than we did," Gruden said. "It's a process. I keep trying to remind myself of that. I've got a lot of people in my ear telling me what's right and what's wrong. I think right now we've got the green light and hopefully you see a little bit more of him."

Or maybe a lot more of Williams on Monday night. Just like Tampa Bay's drafting of Williams, you can see this one coming. It's a huge game against a good defense and, more than ever, the Bucs need the running back their offense was built around.

Throw in the location of the game and what happened to Williams there and it sets up a perfect story.

"Personally, I'm looking forward to getting involved with this offense," Williams said. "I feel like, with the ability I have, I can. It's all on the coach. I'm just sitting back, waiting for my turn and just hoping for the best."

Or maybe it's all going to be on Williams. It doesn't look like he'll be sitting back and waiting much longer.

I wasn't, but with quotes like these:

"This is a place to get rid of all the whispers and the doubters and get everybody on the bandwagon," Williams said.

"...we'd like to see a little bit more of Carnell and, if practice is any indication and his last two outings, I think he will.''

"I probably should have given him the ball a little bit more than we did," Gruden said.

It'll be interesting

since i'm hoping dunn doesn't do anything, i really hope they want to get Caddy more involved. :)

Caddy is not the Caddy of three years ago.

If you have watched him at all since he has come back he runs with more of a gallop or even limp than he did before his knee injury.

Lets face it Caddy had a horrible injury. I am not expecting too much.

Caddy reminds be more of an older Edge right now..a plodder.

Good writeup on ESPN about Cadillac's opportunity tonight.
Not fragging you, Action Hero, for posting that article but it's full of fluff and nothing too significant to my mind.To summarize the writer...

1) Wouldn't it make a neat comeback story if Caddy goes off against the team that put him out last year with a horrible injury.

2) Gruden has loved Caddy since college and thinks he deserves more opportunities going forward.

As for 1), it would make a neat story...but so what? How good the story could be has nothing to do with how the story will be written. It would've been a great comeback story for Ki-Jana Carter as well but...

As for 2), when I hear Gruden name Caddy the starter over Dunn, then I'll be impressed. "More opportunties" doesn't really mean anything. Caddy is averaging under 3 ypc so far and has not looked particularly fast or agile. In fact, one news source commented on how good the blocking was on that 8 yard TD last week and how SLOW Caddy looked running it in. Dunn on the other hand has looked solid and is racking up 20+ touches per game lately and was taken off the injury report. With TB making a play for the NFC South lead, I just don't see Gruden shaking things up just to get Caddy more involved.

Good writeup on ESPN about Cadillac's opportunity tonight.
Not fragging you, Action Hero, for posting that article but it's full of fluff and nothing too significant to my mind.To summarize the writer...

1) Wouldn't it make a neat comeback story if Caddy goes off against the team that put him out last year with a horrible injury.

2) Gruden has loved Caddy since college and thinks he deserves more opportunities going forward.

As for 1), it would make a neat story...but so what? How good the story could be has nothing to do with how the story will be written. It would've been a great comeback story for Ki-Jana Carter as well but...

As for 2), when I hear Gruden name Caddy the starter over Dunn, then I'll be impressed. "More opportunties" doesn't really mean anything. Caddy is averaging under 3 ypc so far and has not looked particularly fast or agile. In fact, one news source commented on how good the blocking was on that 8 yard TD last week and how SLOW Caddy looked running it in. Dunn on the other hand has looked solid and is racking up 20+ touches per game lately and was taken off the injury report. With TB making a play for the NFC South lead, I just don't see Gruden shaking things up just to get Caddy more involved.
I agree. I fully expect the Bucs to draft a RB in the second or third next year.Graham was good last year and is a decent fill in, Dunn is 33, and Caddy is coming off a major injury. This was not an ACL injury..it was the whole tendon severed.

Even before he was hurt Caddy was having problems putting the ball in the end zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caddy may be a "Bus" or Alstott type of RB for the Bucs in the future.

Although his speed does not seem the same it appears he has more power to be the goal line/short yardage typa of back the Bucs need.

I haven't seen the 96 yd TD run yet, but I would think his speed has to be decent to make it that far without getting tackled.

Users who are viewing this thread