What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official wnba thread*** (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen some recent fouls on Clark and Reese.... I can't say I have watched much (any) WNBA before but my goodness, these fouls come off like the vets are jealous that this crop of rookies who have lifted the WNBA from barely surviving on it's own to selling out games. They should be thankful for these young ladies as they elevate their league much like how Magic/Bird did for the NBA but some of the comments and these fouls make at least the optics to come off as pure jealousy.

The vets definitely seem to be giving the rookies the business. Really not super shocking since this rookie class has been raved about. With the league as small as it is, those talented rookies represent a threat to vet jobs. Imagine grinding to be the best at what you do, nobody seems to care, and suddenly some young upstarts get all the attention. But IMO the play had been dirty and the refs have been 100% negligent in not doing something about it.

The schedule for Clark has been insane too. The Fever have played 7 games already when most teams have played just 3 or 4.

I have seen some recent fouls on Clark and Reese.... I can't say I have watched much (any) WNBA before but my goodness, these fouls come off like the vets are jealous that this crop of rookies who have lifted the WNBA from barely surviving on it's own to selling out games. They should be thankful for these young ladies as they elevate their league much like how Magic/Bird did for the NBA but some of the comments and these fouls make at least the optics to come off as pure jealousy.

The vets definitely seem to be giving the rookies the business. Really not super shocking since this rookie class has been raved about. With the league as small as it is, those talented rookies represent a threat to vet jobs. Imagine grinding to be the best at what you do, nobody seems to care, and suddenly some young upstarts get all the attention. But IMO the play had been dirty and the refs have been 100% negligent in not doing something about it.

The schedule for Clark has been insane too. The Fever have played 7 games already when most teams have played just 3 or 4.
Yea, I see your point but still..... Brink, Clark, Reese are MAKING the WNBA. It is actually relevant when it hasn't been for it's entire existence. If I was a vet, I am not worried about three rookies who are garnering a TON of attention and having MONEY flow into the league because with any amount of an understanding of how economics work.... I would realize that more money would be coming my way with them than without them.

They really ought to look at themselves and ask "why did no one care about our league until now"? Some of that may be attitudes like "I'm tired of hearing men talk about our league knowing nothing about our history," Cloud wrote. "Invest or stfu. Respectfully." in response to Barkley calling them out for what he called being petty.

Brink, Clark, Reese.... they are all very different from one another. They certainly have different 'brands' but the reality is that they are the saviors of this league. Vets should see that and be thankful for it.

Well.....here you are talking about it after watching it when you never did before. I'd suggest marketing is working. :shrug:

Well.....here you are talking about it after watching it when you never did before. I'd suggest marketing is working. :shrug:
Uh... I just got done saying Clark. Reese and Brink have launched the WNBA into relevancy. I am not sure where you got the idea that I would say "marketing" isn't working.

Uh... I just got done saying Clark. Reese and Brink have launched the WNBA into relevancy. I am not sure where you got the idea that I would say "marketing" isn't working.

Maybe GM’s point is that these veteran players’ “welcome to the league” treatment of the rookies has itself become the story, meaning it’s created a media angle that is working. It’s what Barkley and others are talking about this week and is a story that is driving interest, however temporary it may be. I’m not saying it’s all scripted but these players have created a narrative, with the media’s eager assistance, that has people talking.

Clark had 8 points on only 8 shots last night in another blow out loss.

They are 1-6 now and in 11th place. Top 8 teams make the playoffs.

She may be better suited for a 6th Woman role off the bench. Dont think just chucking up 3s and being a liability on defense is sustainable. Maybe she can be the Vinnie Johnson of the league

At least she got that Nike bag early

Sample size of one old white dude-

I’d say we’re all paying attention.

I’ve watched some highlights but most of what I have personally consumed has been YouTube. I haven’t, nor am I likely to purchase any WNBA gear.

I encounter exponentially less sports fans as the years pass.

I wish that wasn’t my experience.

Last edited:
I am interested in that we may be in a golden age of women’s basketball and sports in general. At the moment, it’s still mostly filled with players who love the game more than the money. Now we’re getting some real talent but it hasn’t been entirely consumed by $$$$$$$$$ (yet).

I have two girls who both played basketball. Something that I have always loved about women’s basketball in particular, was the innocence of the game. Most of the girls weren’t very good but they were all out there growing as young girls into more and more confident young women. Yes, I liked that they mostly stunk. There wasn’t a lot of ego and it was a collective group of individuals that were often out of their element working together for a common goal.

I’d stay around and watch the boys games and I cheered them on but I never cared for the game. The kids yes, but I find the boys/young men’s games to be atrocious foul-fests.

I could see myself coaching young girls basketball for free after I retire.

-ETA - in case my kids read this one day… I wasn’t referring to them. They were both absolute savages on the defensive end and had all the stuff you can’t teach! They just needed to practice dribbling for 5-minutes every night. That’s all I’m asking….

She may be better suited for a 6th Woman role off the bench. Dont think just chucking up 3s and being a liability on defense is sustainable. Maybe she can be the Vinnie Johnson of the league

She’s probably getting cut within the month. Bum.

This is shtick, no?

Maybe GM’s point is that these veteran players’ “welcome to the league” treatment of the rookies has itself become the story, meaning it’s created a media angle that is working. It’s what Barkley and others are talking about this week and is a story that is driving interest, however temporary it may be. I’m not saying it’s all scripted but these players have created a narrative, with the media’s eager assistance, that has people talking.

Right, it's got people who never watched or talked about the sport watching and talking about the sport. It even has the wanna be toughy toughertons doing drive-bys in here saying "women play basketball? Yuck yuck yuck yuck".

She brings the ball up the floor everytime when she’s in the game. Someone on the coaching staff thinks she’s pretty good.

That foul on angel reese seemed a bit much. . She was fouled on 4 consecutive trips down the floor. With the final foul resulting the ejection of the player fouling her. I really don’t get the hate towards these rookies. Look at me paying attention to the wnba

Oh, I think it is steeped in jealousy. These rookies are lionized and were celebrated in a way they never were. They are going to express these feelings on the court because if they verbalize them, they'll get pilloried. IMO.

She brings the ball up the floor everytime when she’s in the game. Someone on the coaching staff thinks she’s pretty good.

I mean yeah her game is take 3 steps and chuck it

Uh… no.

Well... then it is wrong. The hype all was about these rookies coming into the league and people actually wanting to see them play selling games out this year well before a single game was played.

You might want to go pick up some more bait for this fishing trip you’re on

You might want to go pick up some more bait for this fishing trip you’re on
Let’s hope. It’s fun.

Right, it's got people who never watched or talked about the sport watching and talking about the sport. It even has the wanna be toughy toughertons doing drive-bys in here saying "women play basketball? Yuck yuck yuck yuck".
apparently being a sexist laroosh is what passes for :style: these days take that to the bank brochachos

Here's something we won't see in the NBA anytime soon.
The Connecticut Sun are the league's only undefeated team, and their 2 best players are married to each other (Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner).

Speaking of the Sun, @General Malaise I know you appreciate long eye-lashes and DiJonai Carrington pulls them off spectacularly. She also appears to really be breaking out in her 4th season.

The Connecticut Sun are the league's only undefeated team, and their 2 best players are married to each other (Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner).

Speaking of the Sun, @General Malaise I know you appreciate long eye-lashes and DiJonai Carrington pulls them off spectacularly. She also appears to really be breaking out in her 4th season.

Long lashes and longer legs. Big fan.

Long lashes and longer legs. Big fan.
:eek:

Hard not to love what the Sky have cooking in a rebuilding year.

Even without Cardoso yet, they've knocked off the mighty Liberty and damn near gave the Sun their first loss of the season. Weatherspoon seems like a hell of a coach.

• Love
Reactions: SWC
Seriously, I can't recommend the Sun-Sky game highly enough.
Just not a lot of sports leagues where you'll see this level of intensity a few games into the season.

When you listen to an old fart talk about the glory days of the NFL and NBA, it was back when the players weren't making enough money. They were battling like crazy for $50K a year because they love the game so much. That's where the WNBA is right now.

Then you mix in a really exciting rookie class with a lot of established veterans that are a little irritated by it.

At the end of the day, you've got world class athletes that are intense AF. Sports don't really get any better than that.

Clark had her biggest game offensively of 30 points tonight.

Her counter part in Brink had only 3 for LA.

But Indiana lost again, putting them at 1-7.
Her team just isn’t very good.

Clark had 15 FT attempts in the game. Wonder if word finally came down from the league office that enough is enough and the refs needed to stop letting the vets blow Clark and the other rooks up over and over again.

• Thanks
Does the wnba have a lottery? Because Indiana could get the top pick and put Paige Bueckers next to Clark. Could be over for the league for a while if that happens.
They do have a lottery. Washington Mystics still without a win; so, they are looking at the basement too.
WNBA gotta rig that like Stern did for Ewing

They rigged Ewing because of NY. It may not make business sense to pack a small market team.

They may have to go old school like the NHL did to get Gretzky out of Edmonton and to LA and move Clark to a bigger market (if she turns out to be an extraordinary talent in the next couple of years).

TV numbers continue to be very good even if Clark's debut numbers have not yet found a baseline.

In Clark's 4th game on the ESPN's, it drew 1.3m, which continues to be very good even if the bottom is not yet found (this was the least watched game of hers so far on the ESPN's).

Her game on the ION network also drew 724k, which is fabulous (!!) for that network.

In probably better news, a non Clark game also did very well. The Liberty Linx game drew 704k on CBS which is the largest CBS audience ever for a WNBA game (previous high was 694k)

Last edited:
Does the wnba have a lottery? Because Indiana could get the top pick and put Paige Bueckers next to Clark. Could be over for the league for a while if that happens.
They dNo have a lottery. Washington Mystics still without a win; so, they are looking at the basement too.

They rigged Ewing because of NY. It may not make business sense to pack a small market team.

They may have to go old school like the NHL did to get Gretzky out of Edmonton and to LA and move Clark to a bigger market (if she turns out to be an extraordinary talent in the next couple of years).
I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like the WNBA is as major market driven as other leagues.

I mean, there are only 12 teams and they have teams in Connecticut, Indiana, Vegas, and Minnesota.
Meanwhile, no Houston, Philly, Boston, Denver and only 1 team in California. Not a single team in Florida.

• Thanks
They dNo have a lottery. Washington Mystics still without a win; so, they are looking at the basement too.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like the WNBA is as major market driven as other leagues.

I mean, there are only 12 teams and they have teams in Connecticut, Indiana, Vegas, and Minnesota.
Meanwhile, no Houston, Philly, Boston, Denver and only 1 team in California. Not a single team in Florida.
FBGs should put an ownership group together and get an expansion team before things really take off! With all the money we've made off wheat pennies and NFTs, most of us are rolling in :moneybag: by now.

Speaking of things you probably won't see in the NBA, the May 25th Aces-Fever game had the top 4 all-time scorers in NCAA history.

Fever have Clark and Kelsey Mitchell (#4 out of OSU), who is awesome.
Aces have Plum (#2), and had Dyaisha Fair (#3).

I say "had" because the Aces drafted Fair in the 2nd round this year. She played 4 minutes in that May 25th game, and then they cut her.

FBGs should put an ownership group together and get an expansion team before things really take off! With all the money we've made off wheat pennies and NFTs, most of us are rolling in :moneybag: by now.
I'm willing to put in my CYDY profits...

Nashville would actually be a great expansion spot.

WNBA seems to do well in secondary TV markets with a built-in women's college basketball fanbase (like Connecticut).

Speaking of which, I can't believe it's already been 8 years since Pat Summitt passed.

• Thanks
milwaukee does has a great ring to it take that to the bank bromigos

TV numbers continue to be very good even if Clark's debut numbers have not yet found a baseline.

In Clark's 4th game on the ESPN's, it drew 1.3m, which continues to be very good even if the bottom is not yet found (this was the least watched game of hers so far on the ESPN's).

Her game on the ION network also drew 724k, which is fabulous (!!) for that network.

In probably better news, a non Clark game also did very well. The Liberty Linx game drew 704k on CBS which is the largest CBS audience ever for a WNBA game (previous high was 694k)
Watching that Liberty-Lynx game now (closed a few extra days for Memorial Day to catch up on the W).

What a wonderful battle between Stewart and Collier.

Lynx are super interesting. Collier is a really good big in the process of making the leap surrounded by a bunch of 3-point bombers. They knock off a dominant Liberty team without maybe their best wing player.

Collier came into that game on a mission to take it to the MVP.

I see that Clark is leading the WNBA in assists/game ...and leading in turnovers/game as well. Brink leads the league in blocks; Angel Reese is near the top in rebounds. The Sky's Kamilla Cardoso (all 6' 7" of her) should debut on June 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread