What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calvin Johnson owners (1 Viewer)

I have Calvin, Jennings, AND Tomlinson. I'm leading my division and am in good shape to make the playoffs (though it's no lock).

Injuries/busts happen every year. If you draft/pickup/trade well your team should be able to survive.

One year I took Steve Smith (he busted his leg early) in round three and Barlow in round one. I still made the championship.

Frankly, if any ONE pick screws your team then you're simply not that good.

Big difference when a stud gets injured -- you have a handcuff, and you roll with the punches.

When your Detroit LOSER just STINKS? You bench him in week 11 for the likes of Chambers or something?

BusterTBronco said:
I have Calvin, Jennings, AND Tomlinson. I'm leading my division and am in good shape to make the playoffs (though it's no lock).Injuries/busts happen every year. If you draft/pickup/trade well your team should be able to survive. One year I took Steve Smith (he busted his leg early) in round three and Barlow in round one. I still made the championship.Frankly, if any ONE pick screws your team then you're simply not that good.
I don't believe you. Please provide a link to the league where you have Calvin, Jennings, and Tomlinson.
I don't really care if you believe me. It's an auction league, and I chose to go wr heavy. What makes it even worse is I had Ronnie Brown but traded him away for LT after the first week.I'm a very heavy trader. I wheel and deal before the first game and go into overdrive once the games start getting played. Sometimes, it backfires on me. But that's for another thread.I went into the season with Jennings and Calvin. At least someone like Calvin has been solid when he's played, and when he was hurt you were able to plug in another guy.

Big difference when a stud gets injured -- you have a handcuff, and you roll with the punches.When your Detroit LOSER just STINKS? You bench him in week 11 for the likes of Chambers or something?
What's your definition of a crap game? Calvin hasn't been a beast but he's certainly been solid.

Im 9-1 in my keeper auction league despite owning both Boldin and Calvin Johnson in a start 4WR/TE and 2 RB league. Luckily Driver and S. Rice have picked up the slack for me. I can see how in a redraft he could really affect your record but with timely pickups from the WW you should be able to make up for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
BusterTBronco said:
I have Calvin, Jennings, AND Tomlinson. I'm leading my division and am in good shape to make the playoffs (though it's no lock).Injuries/busts happen every year. If you draft/pickup/trade well your team should be able to survive. One year I took Steve Smith (he busted his leg early) in round three and Barlow in round one. I still made the championship.Frankly, if any ONE pick screws your team then you're simply not that good.
I don't believe you. Please provide a link to the league where you have Calvin, Jennings, and Tomlinson.
:goodposting:

8-2 in a keeper/salary cap league. Fortunately for me I brought Fitz and VJax with Calvin from last year's team and managed to grab Sidney Rice and MSW this year. So I've been winning, but I've been winning most of the time with Calvin on my bench.

My team is 4-6. I have Calvin, Steve Smith, and Witten. All three have been huge busts. :sadbanana:

1-8 about to go 2-8 and I own CJ. I also own Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer, Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne, Antonio Gates, Frank Gore and Mendenhall.

It's a Yahoo league and I don't think I can provide a link, but if there's enough interest I'll find a place to post a screen shot.

5-5 team. That wasn't the pick which killed me. Took SJax over Chris Johnson and went McFadden, Braylon, and Reggie Bush in rounds 4-6 - passing up DJax in every round. :unsure:

I'm at 9-1. Drafted Calvin in the first, Anthony Gonzalez in the 4th (PPR). Got by with Laurent Robinson early, Santana Moss, MSW, and a hodgepodge of other WRs. Drafted well at the other slots.

BusterTBronco said:
Why don't you believe him? Drafting those 3 guys isn't out of the question. My first 4 picks in my main league were Turner, Rodgers, R Moss & Calvin Johnson.

I traded LT2 for Calvin and Benson for Barber early in the season. I am shocked that I won 3 games.

:goodposting:

He got injured, had a subpar game 1st game post injury (which is common) and is coming off a good game after that. Why is everyone doom and gloom with him going forward. I would think that after an 8 catch game, he would draw a bit of optomism. :goodposting:

My team is 4-6. I have Calvin, Steve Smith, and Witten. All three have been huge busts. :thumbup:
I have the same 3 on my team and I'm about to be 8-2 :lmao:Calvin and Witten were drafted and I traded for Steve Smith just before week 7.I did get really lucky for 3 of my wins so, we would almost have similar records... but luck is pretty much all there is to it in head to head scoring.*12 teamer PPR league.

5-5

Moss (2.02), CJ (2.10), s. smith-NYG (15.07), MSW (WW) at WR

schaub (5.07) at QB

westbrook (2.07), rice (3.07), bradshaw (8.06) at RB

First place in my league and happy with the production I got from Calvin last week. I'll take 8-84 with the knowledge that he has some outstanding matchups the rest of the way. Calvin certainly hasn't lived up to his draft billing but if you drafted well and/or made good pickups in free agency, hopefully you're doing well and now you can reap the rewards of Megatron in the stretch run.

8-2 with Brady, Reggie Bush, Calvin, Marshall, and Olsen :lmao:

FWIW, started Mike Wallace over him last week.

The injury time he missed hurt but he has been fine for me in my ppr league.
Same here. I think there's WAY too much overreaction going on with Megatron. Again, he isn't likely to live up to his preseason billing but when he's been on the field he's found a way to be productive in nearly every game he's played. He's clearly all they have offensively so they'll keep throwing him the ball a ton and he has a great schedule the rest of the way. I think he has the chance to be one of the stretch run's most productive players. I still say if you can buy low for him do it now.

BusterTBronco said:
Why don't you believe him? Drafting those 3 guys isn't out of the question. My first 4 picks in my main league were Turner, Rodgers, R Moss & Calvin Johnson.
Having those guys on your team, if in a keeper is not that surprising, but drafting them? How many teams?

5-5 with Calvin as my WR1, but I also have Steve Smith (car). B/t the two of them it has been tough slogging in a competitive league with 6 teams sitting at 5-5 right now, so Calvin's and Smiff's lack of elite production havent been killer.

I also have Calvin in a start-up dynasty, but we only started in Week 6, so I dont count it.

8-2 with a team that started the season with CJ, TO, Steve Smith (Car) and Eddie Royal as my receiving core

What's your definition of a crap game? Calvin hasn't been a beast but he's certainly been solid.
Calvin has been very disappointing based on when you had to draft him and/or how much you had to pay for him. The first 4 weeks looked like they were heading reasonably ... but he is WR 29 ...He has scored 10 or more points only 2 times out of a possible 9 times. Only 1 TD through 9 games.You certainly took a big goose egg in Week #05 when he got hurt and then the way the Lions have been messing with the state of his knee you may have risked another poor showing in Week #09. Additionally last week after his poor showing, did you really roll the dice and start him against the Vikings ...It's the worst possible scenario if you ask me, in fact I'm really thinking of dropping him for just about any Free Agent [Jason Hill, Maclin or Meachem]. Stafford looks nearly as bad as Vick out there!

It's the worst possible scenario if you ask me, in fact I'm really thinking of dropping him for just about any Free Agent [Jason Hill, Maclin or Meachem]. Stafford looks nearly as bad as Vick out there!
Please tell me this is schtick. The injury sucked, no doubt about it. And losing him early in the Pittsburgh game was a killer. Again, no argument there. But when Calvin has played he's generally been productive. Maybe not sensational but certainly not bust worthy either. He has caught at least five passes in every full game he's played except two and in one of those games he had 90 yards receiving. So in the games he's played, he's had only one game that I would consider to be awful (against Seattle). He caught 8 passes against the Vikings and people are talking about him like he's Mark Clayton. I don't get it. Again, I'm not going to sit here and argue that he's going to be the player we all thought when we drafted him. The injury has likely eliminated that possibility. But if he stays healthy, you're talking about a player who should catch 5+ passes a game for good yardage with a good chance to get some TDs given his remaining schedule.If you stop hoping he'll be a Top 5 WR and think of him more as a strong WR2 and perhaps a good WR1 I think you'll be happy.

I have him but am still, despite his crappy contributions, still 7-3. If he ever gets in gear and pulls his weight it would be a nice boost.

Users who are viewing this thread