What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Campaigning For Specific Candidates In Church? Ok? (3 Viewers)

Campaigning For Specific Candidates In Church? Ok?

• Total voters
From a Christiam standpoint, IMO it is in inappropriate to politicize the Church.   Christ was never concerned with the laws of man and their kingdoms.  Christ was concerned with people having faith and treating others with love and respect.  From a government perspective, what goes on in church is of no business of the state and they should state out of it.  The Constitution is a document which empowers and limits the state.  It is not a document which governs or restricts what a church can do.  In fact it expressly denies the government ability to make any laws with respect to the establishment of religion.  Ideally, they both should stay out of each other's business.  
Yes, there's a reason for the establishment clause (separation of church and state) being the first added to the Bill of Rights. 

Last edited by a moderator:
that's racist
I believe in affirmative action as well. That’s a very different issue but the same principle applies which is giving a benefit to a minority that others are not entitled to receive. I don’t regard this principle as racist, but I’m not surprised you and a few others around here do. 

I believe in affirmative action as well. That’s a very different issue but the same principle applies which is giving a benefit to a minority that others are not entitled to receive. I don’t regard this principle as racist, but I’m not surprised you and a few others around here do. 

if I had said Upon further reflection, while I’m not OK with this for churches in general, I’m OK with it for white churches. 

would you have said that was racist ?

call it both ways or accept being hypocritical  - we can't stop racism by using racism

I know some people love the whatabouts. That what Harris did is somehow ok because Pence did it too. We all know that's often a deflection.

I think the much more interesting discussion in the current one. Is doing this kind of thing ok? Or should it be?
I learned from this  thread type of stuff is done somewhat frequently. If people don't want this in their church they should find a different one. Whose responsibility is this?

The last president went as far as to make this a political issue in his ads he ran in churches and in his campaign.

Thanks. I'm kind of fascinated with labels and generalizations.

Is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_nationalism popular?

For the bolded above, do you have some data to support your claim that a "Large majority of white Christians are Christian Nationalists"?

What is the number? When I hear "large majority", I think upwards of 75%. Do you think it's higher than that?
Fair question.  While I won't step away from my generalization, I'll take a step back from using "majority".  This article states 20% of Americans "strongly embrace Christian nationalism".  IIRC, that's similar to the number cited in another book I've read on the subject.  If we make the assumption that this group also identifies as conservative, we're talking nearly 50%.  While a material number, it's not a "large majority" and I was clearly wrong to describe it as such if their numbers are accurate.

Total tangent, but doesnt taxing churches pretty much only apply to property taxes? 

I mean it isnt like churches would be paying dividends.
Couldn't one make an argument that the money collected via donations should be subject to taxation?  Or, at the very least, the "profit" on that; i.e. any collected donations minus expenditures?  Similarly, do churches pay taxes now on interest earned?  They must have money sitting somewhere, earning interest/dividends/capital gains.

Couldn't one make an argument that the money collected via donations should be subject to taxation?  Or, at the very least, the "profit" on that; i.e. any collected donations minus expenditures?  Similarly, do churches pay taxes now on interest earned?  They must have money sitting somewhere, earning interest/dividends/capital gains.
Churches are generally automatically exempt from federal income tax.  They do not need to apply for tax exempt status the way a non-church charitable organization would.  Income related to their exempt function is not subject to income tax which generally includes investment income.  There are exceptions for unrelated business income. For example, if a church operated a religious bookstore that competed with other bookstores, the income derived from book sales may be taxable.

From what I remember, the IRS fought Scientology for years over it's tax exempt status but eventually acquiesced because they kept losing in court.  The issue was that the government cannot make a determination as to what constitutes a "real" religion.

The General said:
I learned from this  thread type of stuff is done somewhat frequently. If people don't want this in their church they should find a different one. Whose responsibility is this?

The last president went as far as to make this a political issue in his ads he ran in churches and in his campaign.
And, you know, this stuff is still going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMIozCKxGE

Cliffs notes: pastor claims Biden is a pedophile, election was stolen, the left is "evil," [insert crazy Q theory here].

timschochet said:
Upon further reflection, while I’m not OK with this for churches in general, I’m OK with it for black churches. 

I'm ok with it in any church as long as they give up their charitable status.

I suppose it depends on the situation, but my pastor has said that if he does that at our church, we can remove him from office.
I think this is the most pragmatic way to handle this. Getting the government involved in this seems way too messy. 

I think this is the most pragmatic way to handle this. Getting the government involved in this seems way too messy. 
Yep. To me, most faiths teach dogmas that are based in a notion of clearly identifying good and evil. For example, God v. Satan. Also, to me, most faiths teach dogmas that reach into the most private spheres of our lives. For example, premarital sex, birth control, homosexual thoughts, etc. And our First Amendment allows for this (as it should) provided nobody is ever forced to attend church. As such, it more than stands to reason that churches will reach into the political sphere as well. In other words, if a church is going to tell me when and with whom I can have sex, a church telling me to who to vote for (or not vote for), and even that one side of the political spectrum is "evil," seems inevitable. And it should be the right of the church to do such things, just like it is my right to publicly denounce such nonsense. 

The government should be taxing churches and then leaving them alone entirely unless and until there is reasonable suspicion that a particular church is engaged in unawful and/or criminal activity. 

Churches should keep politics out...usually I have seen them make their case by summarizing their beliefs but not specific candidates or party affiliation.

Yep. To me, most faiths teach dogmas that are based in a notion of clearly identifying good and evil. For example, God v. Satan. Also, to me, most faiths teach dogmas that reach into the most private spheres of our lives. For example, premarital sex, birth control, homosexual thoughts, etc. And our First Amendment allows for this (as it should) provided nobody is ever forced to attend church. As such, it more than stands to reason that churches will reach into the political sphere as well. In other words, if a church is going to tell me when and with whom I can have sex, a church telling me to who to vote for (or not vote for), and even that one side of the political spectrum is "evil," seems inevitable. And it should be the right of the church to do such things, just like it is my right to publicly denounce such nonsense. 

The government should be taxing churches and then leaving them alone entirely unless and until there is reasonable suspicion that a particular church is engaged in unawful and/or criminal activity. 
Pretty much aligned with all this.

The tax exemption stuff is out of my realm really - other than it seems to be a minefield of issues. Good luck unwinding that to whoever does this stuff. 

This Johnson Amendment is completely ignored for a reason, no politician wants to touch it either way. Trump being the gem he is saw a political beehive that was beneficial for him to whack on. 

Bottom line for me is the church goer can choose to go somewhere else if they don’t want to hear this stuff. 

Churches should keep politics out...usually I have seen them make their case by summarizing their beliefs but not specific candidates or party affiliation.
Not a church guy but initially I thought sure to this, keep it out. Doesn’t impact me.

But thinking about it more what is the response if a church dives into this world? Where does this line get drawn and by whom, can a church sponsor a message like the Republicans are evil and you must vote for Dems…but just not mention a candidate? Who drives the repercussions if this is determined to be wrong?

Seems to me church is elective, if you don’t like it don’t go. 

Tom Hagen said:
From what I remember, the IRS fought Scientology for years over it's tax exempt status but eventually acquiesced because they kept losing in court.  The issue was that the government cannot make a determination as to what constitutes a "real" religion.
This seems like a pretty good argument that no churches should be tax exempt. I agree that the government shouldn't be able to decide what constitutes a real religion, so just don't give any religions (real or fake) tax exempt status.

This seems like a pretty good argument that no churches should be tax exempt. I agree that the government shouldn't be able to decide what constitutes a real religion, so just don't give any religions (real or fake) tax exempt status.
I want to meet the politician that runs on this. Dead man walking.

But you would have the same problem. Churches would apply as charitable organizations and the IRS would need to determine which organizations applying for 501(c)(3) status are a religion in order to deny those applications.

Pretty much aligned with all this.

The tax exemption stuff is out of my realm really - other than it seems to be a minefield of issues. Good luck unwinding that to whoever does this stuff. 

This Johnson Amendment is completely ignored for a reason, no politician wants to touch it either way. Trump being the gem he is saw a political beehive that was beneficial for him to whack on. 

Bottom line for me is the church goer can choose to go somewhere else if they don’t want to hear this stuff. 

The Johnson Amendment exempts churches.  No church has to apply for or be approved to be tax exempt.  It is clearly written in the code and instructions.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiAyefbtdfzAhUhkGoFHY09DiAQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0I7aMF2XPsnlkxgWefzsW7

Organizations not required to obtain recognition of exemption. The following types of organizations may be considered tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) without filing Form 1023 (or Form 1023-EZ).
•    Churches, including synagogues, temples, and mosques.

The Johnson Amendment exempts churches.  No church has to apply for or be approved to be tax exempt.  It is clearly written in the code and instructions.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiAyefbtdfzAhUhkGoFHY09DiAQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0I7aMF2XPsnlkxgWefzsW7

Organizations not required to obtain recognition of exemption. The following types of organizations may be considered tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) without filing Form 1023 (or Form 1023-EZ).
•    Churches, including synagogues, temples, and mosques.

As I have read about this the Johnson Amendment is meant to limit what tax-exempt organizations, like churches, can do in the political arena LINK

No one pays any attention to this and political messages and endorsements have been freely given at churches. There have been thousands examples of Christian clergy deliberately challenging this law in the past decade and only one audit came from this.

But you would have the same problem. Churches would apply as charitable organizations and the IRS would need to determine which organizations applying for 501(c)(3) status are a religion in order to deny those applications.
To clarify, I meant that they should not qualify based on being a religious organization. It wouldn't exclude them from qualifying based on some other criteria.

I feel like the former is going to happen anyway, but it’s also important to remind people that we serve God, not a political party.
So, do you propose government action? Internal action? In other words, how do you propose that this be regulated so it doesn't happen? 

Rich Conway said:
That is the argument that is made. 

If we treat them like a normal business we wouldnt tax donations. (That would be like taxing pre expense revenue as income tax)

So basically the only churches that would create any sizable tax revenue stream would be churches that have a lot of excess donations that they just let sit. Does this exist? Sure. Would it exist if it got taxed? I highly doubt it would amount to much. 

IvanKaramazov said:
You get mad when people bust your chops over stuff like this, but I honestly don't know what you expect.  This is drive-by trolling.
No it isn’t. It’s my position and I honestly believe it. 
There is an attempt to constrict black voting in the South, it’s unjust and racist IMO, and black churchgoers should have the right to combat this in any way they can. That includes doing things that normally would not be acceptable and still isn’t for white churches. And no this is not racist and it’s not hypocritical. 

No it isn’t. It’s my position and I honestly believe it. 
There is an attempt to constrict black voting in the South, it’s unjust and racist IMO, and black churchgoers should have the right to combat this in any way they can. That includes doing things that normally would not be acceptable and still isn’t for white churches. And no this is not racist and it’s not hypocritical. 
I don’t think allowing black churches to endorse a candidate remedies the problem you are talking about. Churches can support voter registration, voter education, voter access. Aren’t those more closely tied to your concerns than endorsing a particular candidate?

I don’t think allowing black churches to endorse a candidate remedies the problem you are talking about. Churches can support voter registration, voter education, voter access. Aren’t those more closely tied to your concerns than endorsing a particular candidate?
No. The only way at this point for black voters to fight whats happening is to elect more Democrats. While they still can. 
This is the sort of thing I’m talking about: 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/texas-republicans-pass-voting-maps-that-entrench-power-of-whites/ar-AAPI8sX?ocid=msedgntp

This sort of shameful act justifies, IMO, black churches stretching the rules. 

So, do you propose government action? Internal action? In other words, how do you propose that this be regulated so it doesn't happen? 
The church used to be self-policing, especially when concerning false teachers and the like. The best suggestion would be for believers to follow the teachings of the Bible and do those, but humans are notorious for doing everything but what they’re supposed to do. That said, government action is completely out of the question.

No. The only way at this point for black voters to fight whats happening is to elect more Democrats. While they still can. 
This is the sort of thing I’m talking about: 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/texas-republicans-pass-voting-maps-that-entrench-power-of-whites/ar-AAPI8sX?ocid=msedgntp

This sort of shameful act justifies, IMO, black churches stretching the rules. 
Someone who was racist in a different way than you would argue that black churches stretching the rules justifies restrictions on voting.  The only way for white voters to fight what's happening in the churches is to elect more Republicans.  While they still can.

Users who are viewing this thread