What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can someone explain to me the Deion Branch Love (1 Viewer)

JAA

Footballguy
profootball-reference.com

Code:
+--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2002 nwe |  13 |     2      0    0.0    0 |    43    489  11.4    2 || 2003 nwe |  15 |     1     11   11.0    0 |    57    803  14.1    3 || 2004 nwe |   9 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    35    454  13.0    4 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   |  37 |     3     11    3.7    0 |   135   1746  12.9    9 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+Year        Value        Pos. Rank    Overall Rank--------------------------------------------------2002           0            71            2082003           0            36             862004           0            58            174--------------------------------------------------
He has never finished in the top 30 for a WR. FBG has him ranked #14 this week for WR. In addition he is ranked by FBG 25 for the season where he should get 74 catches and 1000 yards and 7 TDs ... he has 9 career TDs averaging 3 a year!!JAA

I'm guessing because of the 21/276/1 in the past 2 super bowls.When he is healthy it seems like he's Brady's #1 option.High risk, high reward

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a big injury risk but he's built a great rapport with Brady and I would be very suprised if he wasn't a top 10 WR IF he stays healthy, but that's a big IF.

He is the #1 in NE and when healthy can take over games. He has a very good QB throwing to him, a strong run game to keep Ds off balance and is in a great system. His healthy seems to be the only question mark. Really that simply.

Patriots | Branch Doesn't Drop Any - from www.KFFL.comTue, 30 Aug 2005 19:34:09 -0700Paul Perillo, of Patriots Football Weekly, reports New England Patriots WR Deion Branch finished with the NFL's lowest percentage of dropped passes in 2004. According to STATS, Inc., Branch had no drops in 51 passes thrown in his direction.What's not to love? I hope he is following in the foot steps of Derrick Mason in terms of not being spectacular but consistently good.

I don't get it either. Probably one of the most over-rated players in FF.I guess a couple good games in his career makes him a superstar in people's eyes.

With David Givens questionable (Chest) Deion Branch looks even more inviting. I think the #14 ranking is due to this, plus the fact that it's the Raiders defense.

Maybe it has something to do with how terrible Oakland's pass D is :confused: I think NE would like to make a clear statement on National TV that even without OC Charlie Weis they are still the team to beat. NE goes about their business very Belichek like.Agree that overall Branch has a lot to prove to be considered in the top tiers of WR's.

I'm not positive, but Branch didn't play in the preseason. How can we say that he's not injured? Remember what happened last year, no word on his injury but he missed week after week.

He is the #1 in NE and when healthy can take over games. He has a very good QB throwing to him, a strong run game to keep Ds off balance and is in a great system. His healthy seems to be the only question mark. Really that simply.
If its that simple why doesnt he rank ever as a top 20 WR?

He is the #1 in NE and when healthy can take over games.  He has a very good QB throwing to him, a strong run game to keep Ds off balance and is in a great system.  His healthy seems to be the only question mark.  Really that simply.
Because he can't stay healthy. That doesn't alter the belief in his talent; it just means he has durability issues.

He is the #1 in NE and when healthy can take over games.  He has a very good QB throwing to him, a strong run game to keep Ds off balance and is in a great system.  His healthy seems to be the only question mark.  Really that simply.
Because he can't stay healthy. That doesn't alter the belief in his talent; it just means he has durability issues.
So you are saying he deserves this high ranking because he the one of the greatest FF WRs in the game ... when healthy?

So you are saying he deserves this high ranking because he the one of the greatest FF WRs in the game ... when healthy?
When healthy I think he's a legit Top 25 fantasy WR with Top 20 WR upside. The durability concerns would prevent me from drafting him in either range, however. But if I could snag him as a WR3 I'd be very happy.

There is a large group of people who view last year's MVP performance at the Super Bowl as his finally coming into his own as a true #1 WR and having a year in the Top 20*(assuming he can stay healthy)I buy that to a certain degree and with Patten gone and Givens dinged, think he steps up this week - not a Moss, Holt type of game, but 6 receptions for 80 yards and a TD - virtually what he had in the first game last season IIRC

When healthy I think he's a legit Top 25 fantasy WR with Top 20 WR upside. The durability concerns would prevent me from drafting him in either range, however. But if I could snag him as a WR3 I'd be very happy.
Yup, it's the same reason Holmes is not the sure #1 overall pick on a lesser scale. Branch has proven himslef to be prone to injury, you deal with that and accept it when drafting him. It's the reason he falls to a WR3 level, too much risk for lots of guys. Personally, I don't mind risk with WRs as IMO any WR outside of Moss, Holt, TO and maybe Chad now has risk. Especially when you enter the 2nd tier. Even though his injury history is concerning, that does not make it a sure bet he will also get hurt this year. Fred Taylor had several years with injuries only to recover for a nice string of seasons w/o them. I like Branch a lot at his price heading into this year. He is a guy that can produce solid WR2 numbers for you while healty. Fact is, he is (supposedly) healthy now and going against a putrid Oak D in a game that has the makings of what could be a shoot out. Whats not to like about Branch this week?

IMHO His upside is much higher than top 20

I feel if healthy, he can finish as in the top 10 in fantasy points.I am a HUGE Branch supporter. Unfortunately I missed out on him in 2 out of my 3 leagues.

There is a large group of people who view last year's MVP performance at the Super Bowl as his finally coming into his own as a true #1 WR and having a year in the Top 20

*(assuming he can stay healthy)

I buy that to a certain degree and with Patten gone and Givens dinged, think he steps up this week - not a Moss, Holt type of game, but 6 receptions for 80 yards and a TD - virtually what he had in the first game last season IIRC
Health is a big concern with Branch but there are some things to be optimistic about:1) Patten is gone and should have his targets go up as a result. Andre Davis is probably not going to be the target that Patten was.

2) His targets per game were already decent the past two years, 6.9 and 5.7, despite the competition.

3) He was coming off a very good season in 2003 (57/803/and had a good week 1 in 2004 (7/86/1) before being injured week 2.

There is a large group of people who view last year's MVP performance at the Super Bowl as his finally coming into his own as a true #1 WR and having a year in the Top 20

*(assuming he can stay healthy)

I buy that to a certain degree and with Patten gone and Givens dinged, think he steps up this week - not a Moss, Holt type of game, but 6 receptions for 80 yards and a TD - virtually what he had in the first game last season IIRC
Sorry for the momentary hijack, AND for asking a naive question but:What the heck does IIRC stand for? I've noticed a lot over the last few weeks but can't determine the meaning. :bag:

Thanks for the help.

:bye:

What the heck does IIRC stand for?  I've noticed a lot over the last few weeks but can't determine the meaning.  :bag:

Thanks for the help.
IfI

Recall

Correctly

IIRC :D
Ah, so it's not so much that I'm ill-informed regarding fantasy football terminology, but that I'm quite the user when it comes to this new fangled internet thing. :nerd: Thanks, jurb. You are consistently very considerate to inform those of us among the "masses." :hey:

Round 1 goes to the Branch backers

Branch 7 rec./99 yds/1 TD, and I count 12 targets (but I did not double-check it)out of 38 pass attempts (31.5% of the targets)

Both the targets for Branch and his percentage of the total targets compare favorable with the top wide receivers last year. Target Stats

Obviously, one game does not make a season, and Brady could focus on other receivers in other weeks, but the anti-Branch crowd can not gloat tonight. As someone who has Branch, I will wait to see whether week 1 is the exception or the rule.

I've liked Branch for 3 years. But I won't own him. You saw why if you watched the early part of the game and how often Brady looked to Watson - or anyone not named Deion Branch. I think Brady just has too many weapons and, more importantly, likes to spread the ball around. There will not be a Branch ratio in NE.

I like branch and have him in my most significant money league, but I still believe he's a situational play. Thus I have tempered enthusiasm.At home against Oakland is about the best matchup you can get for the NE passing game IMHO.

I like branch and have him in my most significant money league, but I still believe he's a situational play. Thus I have tempered enthusiasm.

At home against Oakland is about the best matchup you can get for the NE passing game IMHO.
Same way here. I started him tonight over A. Johnson, but that won't happen often.

This is a case where you need to look further than his stats to make a decision. I'm a homer and huge fan of the Pats. I've watched Branch develop into a true #1 WR. What makes him so special is that he isn't a one-trick pony. He runs great routes, has excellent hands, AND can burn you to the house at any given time. His health has been the only reason why he hasn't broken into the top 20 or top 10 at his position. Brady has the utmost confidence in him, as he has displayed in the superbowls. Considering that he can be had as a 4th WR in many leagues, I think he represents tremendous value. He's sort of like Isaac Bruce of years ago in that everyone knows what he can do if he finally stays healthy. It's just a matter of when that 100% healthy year will come. I think it's this year.

In all seriousness, last night Branch looked great. I saw good route running, excellent speed, and good hands. Brady looked to Branch more than any other NE target out there. However, we cannot overlook a couple things ... the Oak Secondary was horrific!! I didnt see Branch make one catch in traffic. Each catch was in a soft zone where no one was near him. He didnt show any ability to create space on his own. If every Secondary is as bad as Oak, Branch could be the next Torry Holt.Dont get me wrong, I do like Branch. Many may remember me pimping him last year as a great WR2/3. This year however, what bothers me this year is folks are looking to him as a WR1. I think that is a big mistake and while he did put up good numbers tonight, I dont expect him to match them for the year.JAA

I still say Branch is a feast or famine guy. If open a lot, he'll get the looks from Brady. If a team elects to cover him tight or double cover him, he will be an after thought.His career game logs seem to support this. He's had under 40 yards receiving 18 times (out of 44 games played). He's only had 8 games with 90 yards receiving--they just seem to come in nationally televised games. He may benefit some with Patten gone, but IMO the Pats spread the ball out too much for any single guy to be a force week in or week out.

In all seriousness, last night Branch looked great. I saw good route running, excellent speed, and good hands. Brady looked to Branch more than any other NE target out there. However, we cannot overlook a couple things ... the Oak Secondary was horrific!! I didnt see Branch make one catch in traffic. Each catch was in a soft zone where no one was near him. He didnt show any ability to create space on his own. If every Secondary is as bad as Oak, Branch could be the next Torry Holt.

Dont get me wrong, I do like Branch. Many may remember me pimping him last year as a great WR2/3. This year however, what bothers me this year is folks are looking to him as a WR1. I think that is a big mistake and while he did put up good numbers tonight, I dont expect him to match them for the year.

JAA
I disagree with you that the reason he looked so good was because Oakland's secondary is horrible. He has the skills to beat anybody. He'll display that as the season progresses. However, I do agree with you that if someone is banking on him to be their #1 WR then they are taking a big risk. His injury proneness to this point in his career is too significant to not be taken into consideration. What I can say is that I participated in 3 live drafts here in New England last weekend and he was taken as a 3rd WR in two leagues and as a 4th WR in the other. Given this draft position he represents excellent value. I started him this weekend based on the matchup against Oakland (maybe there was a little homer action going on there too), but he is my 4th WR. I'm liking that.

In all seriousness, last night Branch looked great.  I saw good route running, excellent speed, and good hands.  Brady looked to Branch more than any other NE target out there.  However, we cannot overlook a couple things ... the Oak Secondary was horrific!!  I didnt see Branch make one catch in traffic.  Each catch was in a soft zone where no one was near him.  He didnt show any ability to create space on his own.  If every Secondary is as bad as Oak, Branch could be the next Torry Holt.

Dont get me wrong, I do like Branch.  Many may remember me pimping him last year as a great WR2/3.  This year however, what bothers me this year is folks are looking to him as a WR1.  I think that is a big mistake and while he did put up good numbers tonight, I dont expect him to match them for the year.

JAA
I disagree with you that the reason he looked so good was because Oakland's secondary is horrible. He has the skills to beat anybody. He'll display that as the season progresses. However, I do agree with you that if someone is banking on him to be their #1 WR then they are taking a big risk. His injury proneness to this point in his career is too significant to not be taken into consideration. What I can say is that I participated in 3 live drafts here in New England last weekend and he was taken as a 3rd WR in two leagues and as a 4th WR in the other. Given this draft position he represents excellent value. I started him this weekend based on the matchup against Oakland (maybe there was a little homer action going on there too), but he is my 4th WR. I'm liking that.
Time will tell on point #1. Ant Sports has Branch's ADP at 7.02. My experience this draft season has been anywhere from middle 3rd to late 4th. Way to high for me.

I like branch and have him in my most significant money league, but I still believe he's a situational play. Thus I have tempered enthusiasm.

At home against Oakland is about the best matchup you can get for the NE passing game IMHO.
Situational play... :confused: What type of league is this...6 teamer, start 2?Branch is the clear number one on a very good passing team with one of the top QBs in the league.

I still say Branch is a feast or famine guy. If open a lot, he'll get the looks from Brady. If a team elects to cover him tight or double cover him, he will be an after thought.

His career game logs seem to support this. He's had under 40 yards receiving 18 times (out of 44 games played). He's only had 8 games with 90 yards receiving--they just seem to come in nationally televised games. He may benefit some with Patten gone, but IMO the Pats spread the ball out too much for any single guy to be a force week in or week out.
I agree with you. I have had him before and pulled my hair out with his spotty performances.Brady's "go-to" guy changes every game. He takes what he is given. Branch's performance tends to be sporadic. I prefer WRs whose QB jams the ball down their throat.

I still say Branch is a feast or famine guy.  If open a lot, he'll get the looks from Brady.  If a team elects to cover him tight or double cover him, he will be an after thought.

His career game logs seem to support this.  He's had under 40 yards receiving 18 times (out of 44 games played).  He's only had 8 games with 90 yards receiving--they just seem to come in nationally televised games.  He may benefit some with Patten gone, but IMO the Pats spread the ball out too much for any single guy to be a force week in or week out.
I agree with you. I have had him before and pulled my hair out with his spotty performances.Brady's "go-to" guy changes every game. He takes what he is given. Branch's performance tends to be sporadic. I prefer WRs whose QB jams the ball down their throat.
Guys...this is only his 4th year in the league. You've gotten spoiled with Moss, Clayton, and Boldin. Some WRs actually improve with time and don't make an impact until a few years are under their belt. What is so ironic is that in his rookie year, people were rushing to the WW to pick him up as a WR3 and raving about his skills after a quick start. Three years later he's considered no better then a situational start. Go figure.

I still say Branch is a feast or famine guy. If open a lot, he'll get the looks from Brady. If a team elects to cover him tight or double cover him, he will be an after thought.

His career game logs seem to support this. He's had under 40 yards receiving 18 times (out of 44 games played). He's only had 8 games with 90 yards receiving--they just seem to come in nationally televised games. He may benefit some with Patten gone, but IMO the Pats spread the ball out too much for any single guy to be a force week in or week out.
Guys...this is only his 4th year in the league. You've gotten spoiled with Moss, Clayton, and Boldin. Some WRs actually improve with time and don't make an impact until a few years are under their belt. What is so ironic is that in his rookie year, people were rushing to the WW to pick him up as a WR3 and raving about his skills after a quick start. Three years later he's considered no better then a situational start. Go figure.
I agree with you about Branch's talent. I don't think the issue is Branch, tho. The issue is Brady. If Brady changes 180 degrees from the QB he has been ever since he came into the league and starts locking into one guy, Branch will be the steal of the year at WR. However, it will take more than one game against Oakland to convince me that Brady has started locking in on Branch. Next week it could be Givens. The week after that it could be Watson. We just don't know yet.

I still say Branch is a feast or famine guy.  If open a lot, he'll get the looks from Brady.  If a team elects to cover him tight or double cover him, he will be an after thought.

His career game logs seem to support this.  He's had under 40 yards receiving 18 times (out of 44 games played).  He's only had 8 games with 90 yards receiving--they just seem to come in nationally televised games.  He may benefit some with Patten gone, but IMO the Pats spread the ball out too much for any single guy to be a force week in or week out.
I agree with you about Branch's talent. I don't think the issue is Branch, tho. The issue is Brady. If Brady changes 180 degrees from the QB he has been ever since he came into the league and starts locking into one guy, Branch will be the steal of the year at WR. However, it will take more than one game against Oakland to convince me that Brady has started locking in on Branch. Next week it could be Givens. The week after that it could be Watson. We just don't know yet.
That won't bother me....1000/8 from my WR3 will be just fine with me.

The guy is obviously injury prone.Who sits out the entire preseason when healthy? *lol* Even Mike Vick is laughing at him. But as long as he's healthy, Branch should do pretty well.

Feast or famine guy? What WR outside the top teir studs are not feast or famine? Thats why you value RBs over WR, more consistent touches and thus points. It's the nature of the beast at WR. There is no point in singling out Branch for this, the same could be said of nearly every other WR in the NFL as well.

Feast or famine guy? What WR outside the top teir studs are not feast or famine? Thats why you value RBs over WR, more consistent touches and thus points. It's the nature of the beast at WR. There is no point in singling out Branch for this, the same could be said of nearly every other WR in the NFL as well.
Branch is more feast or famine than others. He's had 23 games out of 44 with 5 or fewer fantasy points (0 PPR). That's more than half. I don't have time to compare him to others right now, but I doubt many others will clock in at 52% with 5 or under.

Users who are viewing this thread