What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Market going forward (1 Viewer)

I really wish someone would build a GD basic car. Safe, reliable, no frills. Think Honda Civic with no backup cameras, blue tooth, navigation, power anything............
Brand new 15 grand.
Heck a brand new Kia Rio is like 19 grand and, if you compared it to a new car from 2010, it would seem like it has all the bells and whistles.
I want a car with no bells or whistles. As Steve Martin once said, "four wheels and a ****in seat".

2023 Mitsubishi Mirage $15,991- original MSRP is at $17,991. It's down in Tampa, FL but it comes w/5 year 60k bumper to bumper warranty, 10 year powertrain from the factory and 4 star crash rating from NHTSA- I have no personal knowledge, experience nor history with the brand nor model. Just did a bit of googling to help you with your quest.
Mitusbishi makes some decent low end stuff. For whatever reason just got blown out by Nissan. Feel like the Altima is a weaker offering than the Mirage overall.

I really wish someone would build a GD basic car. Safe, reliable, no frills. Think Honda Civic with no backup cameras, blue tooth, navigation, power anything............
Brand new 15 grand.
Heck a brand new Kia Rio is like 19 grand and, if you compared it to a new car from 2010, it would seem like it has all the bells and whistles.
I want a car with no bells or whistles. As Steve Martin once said, "four wheels and a ****in seat".

2023 Mitsubishi Mirage $15,991- original MSRP is at $17,991. It's down in Tampa, FL but it comes w/5 year 60k bumper to bumper warranty, 10 year powertrain from the factory and 4 star crash rating from NHTSA- I have no personal knowledge, experience nor history with the brand nor model. Just did a bit of googling to help you with your quest.
Mitusbishi makes some decent low end stuff. For whatever reason just got blown out by Nissan. Feel like the Altima is a weaker offering than the Mirage overall.
Do they sell and deliver online then? Cause you can't find these by me. Not for those prices.

Brand new 15 grand.

Do they sell and deliver online then? Cause you can't find these by me. Not for those prices.
I didn't write the article.

Brand new 15 grand.

I didn't write the article.
Oh.

Miss a Car Payment and Ford’s Patent Could Shut Off Your A/C​

• Patent filing describes remote control to disable car features
  • An ‘incessant, unpleasant’ beeping to irk delinquent borrowers
Oh my lord.

Wait till the shady subprime guys get a load of that, they'll install cup holders that shrink to normal size, so you can't but a Big Gulp in there.

Do any of you guys own an OBDII scanner? I bought one, called blue driver, when I first started my auto repair/engine knowledge journey, and it's probably been the most important tool in my toolbox in so many ways. The auto industry has the wool over our eyes, fellas. And dudes mentioned it in here a couple times already.. cars aren't that complicated and CAN be repaired at home. When you are shopping for your ride, note the engine and search it on YouTube. Not the make or model - just the engine. Someone mentioned GM in here, about Buicks and Pontiacs. The GM 3800 engine is a perfect example, found in cars of the late 90s and early 2000s. Throw GM 3800 into a YouTube search, filter the results using your own intelligence quotient, and use it as an example of how to query information about some of these new engines you're thinking of buying. And look into the OBDII scanner. A Bluetooth one. Costs around 80 bucks. It sincerely might end up saving you thousands in whatever situation you are in, whether it be shopping for a car, diagnosing engine problems on your current car, or just giving you additional insight (a second opinion) into a repair you might be looking at. One Love.
One notable is what state you are in. If you are in a salt-state like me (Mass) one spends most of their time getting rusty bolts off. The most important purchase is something like this: https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcf8...e-12-impact-wrench-detent-pin-anvil-tool-only

Lowes will have deals, but this is IMO the most important purchase for working on used cars in salt-states
Thanks for pimping DEWALT. Y'all let me know via PM if you want a discount.

anyone ever hear of an 18 month lease? Got a quote from a leasing place on a Nissan Rogue and he said they get great incentives on 18 month lease and not worth it to get 36 month because the price would be much higher? He said I can always extend lease close to end. Id rather not do this again in 18 months and pay tax title and license again.

Do any of you guys own an OBDII scanner? I bought one, called blue driver, when I first started my auto repair/engine knowledge journey, and it's probably been the most important tool in my toolbox in so many ways. The auto industry has the wool over our eyes, fellas. And dudes mentioned it in here a couple times already.. cars aren't that complicated and CAN be repaired at home. When you are shopping for your ride, note the engine and search it on YouTube. Not the make or model - just the engine. Someone mentioned GM in here, about Buicks and Pontiacs. The GM 3800 engine is a perfect example, found in cars of the late 90s and early 2000s. Throw GM 3800 into a YouTube search, filter the results using your own intelligence quotient, and use it as an example of how to query information about some of these new engines you're thinking of buying. And look into the OBDII scanner. A Bluetooth one. Costs around 80 bucks. It sincerely might end up saving you thousands in whatever situation you are in, whether it be shopping for a car, diagnosing engine problems on your current car, or just giving you additional insight (a second opinion) into a repair you might be looking at. One Love.
One notable is what state you are in. If you are in a salt-state like me (Mass) one spends most of their time getting rusty bolts off. The most important purchase is something like this: https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcf8...e-12-impact-wrench-detent-pin-anvil-tool-only

Lowes will have deals, but this is IMO the most important purchase for working on used cars in salt-states
My first job out of college was with Black & Decker/DeWalt.

Can you still get the 14.4 and 18v XRP old style batteries? I have a bunch of DeWalt tools and am having a hard time getting replacements other than the cheap junk batteries on Amazon.

Can you still get the 14.4 and 18v XRP old style batteries? I have a bunch of DeWalt tools and am having a hard time getting replacements other than the cheap junk batteries on Amazon.
Just buy the new lithium battery and converter.....

Just buy the new lithium battery and converter.....

Sure, I could do that. But by the time I buy the attachment, the charger for the 20V, and the battery I'm at the price of a combo pack that can replace most of what I have.

I don't want to throw away a LOT of DeWalt tools, but that's where it's trending. I KNOW that's what DeWalt wants, but it just irritates me. Perfectly good tools I'm going to throw away.

I just want batteries dammit. :lol:

Brand new 15 grand.
Preach my brotha.

My daily is a 2001 Toyota Echo. Manual transmission, windows, and locks. This thing was so stripped down that there's a little cubby hole looking thing in the middle of the dash. That's where the clock would go if I had opted for that premium upgrade.
Over 300K miles on the original engine, transmission, clutch. Only one big repair in 22 years. I'd happily pay $15-20K for a brand new version of this stripped down beast.

Of course the Echo was probably Toyota's biggest flop ever, largely because it was so stripped down.

Aside from the cost of today's bells and whistles, it really sucks they are adding so many because it basically means that you never actually own your own car.

I promise you, there's no remote way to shut off "features" of my 22 years old Echo.

Brand new 15 grand.

Mirage is a good pull.
Mitsubishi, like Mazda, could be a beacon of hope for affordability.

Speaking of Mitsubishi, I just want to pour out a 40 for the Eclipse. It was such a fun car. Mitsubishi killed it off 10 years ago or so, and of course, just recently brought the glorious Eclipse name back just so they could slap it on another crossover.

anyone ever hear of an 18 month lease? Got a quote from a leasing place on a Nissan Rogue and he said they get great incentives on 18 month lease and not worth it to get 36 month because the price would be much higher? He said I can always extend lease close to end. Id rather not do this again in 18 months and pay tax title and license again.
Literally the first time I've heard of such a thing. Seems like if he gave you all the numbers for both, it should be easy enough add the up-front costs and compare. I'd be curious to hear how that comes out.

Brand new 15 grand.

Nothing against Nissan, but I'm not sure what role they serve. They just seem like a wannabe Toyota/Honda, but they cost the same as Toyota/Honda.
Nice vehicles all around. I just have no idea why I'd pick one over a Toyota or Honda.

Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Mazda all bring a little something different to the table, and at a good price point.

But what do I know. Those damn Rogue's and Murano's are everywhere.

Miss a Car Payment and Ford’s Patent Could Shut Off Your A/C​

• Patent filing describes remote control to disable car features
  • An ‘incessant, unpleasant’ beeping to irk delinquent borrowers
Pretty solid idea, and it's fitting that Ford is doing this.

Ford is the industry leader of just coming out and saying we will not make a vehicle* that is remotely affordable (*I would say car the but they stopped making all of those except a 2-door sports car). Maverick is an interesting idea for a potentially affordable option. But Ford being Ford will either jack up the price or stop making it.

So, it's pretty fitting for them to devote resources getting patents to punish people that buy their super expensive vehicles and can't afford them.

Nothing against Nissan, but I'm not sure what role they serve. They just seem like a wannabe Toyota/Honda, but they cost the same as Toyota/Honda.
Nice vehicles all around. I just have no idea why I'd pick one over a Toyota or Honda.

Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Mazda all bring a little something different to the table, and at a good price point.

But what do I know. Those damn Rogue's and Murano's are everywhere.

Can't speak much for several different models and my opinion of the Rogue is pretty low. But IMO, Nissan offers a better driver experience in the seat than Toyota and Honda (this from a family who owns a toyota and a honda). Last year when shopping for a used car after our son totaled a 17 year old CRV...we had two different rentals over a months time. A Nissan Maxima and a Toyota Rav4. The Nissan we had as a rental had such a great interface from the speedometer area to the dash and entertainment system set up. Everything was intuitive and right at a reaching distance from the driver. Also test drove a 2012 Infiniti that was great inside like that as well. The Rav4 was ok...I was slightly disappointed in it after years in the CRV.
We did settle on a used Camry at the time...Toyotas, while I love them, are pretty bland overall in their dash design and how it is set up for the driver. I thought Nissan did well in that manner for sure and the car drove well. We may end up having our daughter drive the Camry after she turns 16 in a year...it is what she will learn to drive on. If we do buy something newer then for me...I would strongly consider the nissans if I don't end up going with a hybrid or some form of hybrid or electric (Im not a fan of the leaf)

Some interesting details coming out, the long term decline in passenger cars and traffic is down. 25% yoy sustained since 2017 now. 1 in 7 cars sold world wide is now an EV, this is accelerating. It's not so much that EVs are taking over it's that people simply aren't buying ICE vehicles as much.

Worldwide the time spent in a passenger vehicle is down continually since 2000. This conflicts with my own observations, but maybe I'm in a strange area.

Some interesting details coming out, the long term decline in passenger cars and traffic is down. 25% yoy sustained since 2017 now. 1 in 7 cars sold world wide is now an EV, this is accelerating. It's not so much that EVs are taking over it's that people simply aren't buying ICE vehicles as much.

Worldwide the time spent in a passenger vehicle is down continually since 2000. This conflicts with my own observations, but maybe I'm in a strange area.
That's interesting. My guess would be the people that drive are spending more time than ever in a passenger vehicle.

But it seems like the number of people that just don't drive/own a car must be growing. That's just anecdotal. I'm amazed at the number of kids in their teens, and even 20's, around here with no interest in driving.

I assume it's a because of tech/social media. When us old farts were 17 years old, the only way to have a social life was to hop in a car. Riding around trying to find something to do. Every town had a meet-up spot where every body drove to on Friday night to find out where this weekend's house parties were going to be.

Just blew out a tire on the 2004 Accord. Pulled it off and went to the warehouse. $150 for the new one. I love not having that car payment...We have two Honda's, no payments. Son is driving now, so we may have to grab a car soon. Maybe like a 19 or 20 depending.

Last edited:
Just blew out a tire on the 2004 Accord. Pulled it off and went to the warehouse. $150 for the new one. I love not having that car payment...We have to Honda's, no payments. Son is driving now, so we may have to grab a car soon. Maybe like a 19 or 20 depending.
I love not having a car payment too but that new car pull is strong, especially in the spring.

That's interesting. My guess would be the people that drive are spending more time than ever in a passenger vehicle.

But it seems like the number of people that just don't drive/own a car must be growing. That's just anecdotal. I'm amazed at the number of kids in their teens, and even 20's, around here with no interest in driving.

I assume it's a because of tech/social media. When us old farts were 17 years old, the only way to have a social life was to hop in a car. Riding around trying to find something to do. Every town had a meet-up spot where every body drove to on Friday night to find out where this weekend's house parties were going to be.

yeah - at around 8 - 10 yrs old - a bike is a giant step to freedom. You can go places that across a small-medium sized town (20K - 40K town) and your parents have no idea what you are up to.

at 14+ ...a car is everything, don't even have to have your own ...just a good buddy that has one or some parents that are pretty lenient with the use of their 2nd car. You can go ANYWHERE.

concerts in other towns ...go to the larger city and hang at places you're not supposed to, you name it

complete freedom.

****!! Wish I would have known. I own only yellow and black.

My daily is a 2001 Toyota Echo.
That is one ugly *** car

I'll be real honest. I never took you for the sort of person that would disregard quality and practicality for the sake of being cool.

You're right though. It's ugly. Americans absolutely rejected it.

It's just a cheap, simple bare bones car that runs forever. Wild concept in this country. American's are paying almost $800 a month on average for their car payments right now while they are drowning in credit card debt. . It's no shock that this country rejected the Echo.

Anyway, you should take this as a great compliment........your dumping on the Echo is a surprise to me.

That is one ugly *** car

Great, cheap, reliable transportation but yeah, there’s nothing sexy about that thing.

I could poop a better car.
Maybe you have some truly amazing poop.

But Ford, GM, Stellantis, Mercedes, BMW, NIssan, Kia, Hyundai, Honda, and maybe Toyota have never made a better car.

I will never doubt another man's poop if I've never seen it, but I highly doubt you've pooped something better than every major automaker has ever been able to make.

That is one ugly *** car

Great, cheap, reliable transportation but yeah, there’s nothing sexy about that thing.

I could poop a better car.
Maybe you have some truly amazing poop.

But Ford, GM, Stellantis, Mercedes, BMW, NIssan, Kia, Hyundai, Honda, and maybe Toyota have never made a better car.

I will never doubt another man's poop if I've never seen it, but I highly doubt you've pooped something better than every major automaker has ever been able to make.
:crazy:

I wasn't going to post this. But you guys started ****ting on the Echo. Blame moops.

This dude is overly snarky and obviously has an agenda. His channel is about walkable cities, FFS. He's an *******.

But there are a lot of good points, if you can get past his assholery.

I believe everybody should drive what they like, but there's no mistaking that a huge chunk of society/surburia driving vehicles that are larger than the tanks that won WW2 is not good for the population as a whole.

We wouldn't need all these cameras to feel safe if we still built cars were you could do crazy things like "see anything around you".

The messenger here kind of sucks, but we really do need to address the issue that our roads are filled with vehicles that are a public safety concern. You know, if we care about the children.

I wasn't going to post this. But you guys started ****ting on the Echo. Blame moops.

This dude is overly snarky and obviously has an agenda. His channel is about walkable cities, FFS. He's an *******.

I believe everybody should drive what they like, but there's no mistaking that a huge chunk of society/surburia driving vehicles that are larger than the tanks that won WW2 is not good for the population as a whole.

We wouldn't need all these cameras to feel safe if we still built cars were you could do crazy things like "see anything around you".

The messenger here kind of sucks, but we really do need to address the issue that our roads are filled with vehicles that are a public safety concern. You know, if we care about the children.

apologies pollarsvision - I was just having a little fun

seriously didn't mean to offend you.

I will take the blame. Apologies. That car is still ugly though. :wink:

I will take the blame. Apologies. That car is still ugly though. :wink:
Sorry for being a butthead, fellas.

I get a little irrational when it comes to my beloved Echo. And I drink a lot on Sunday's.

To try to get back into everybody's good graces, I'll share this....And it'll help explain how far my irrational love of the Echo goes.

Couple years ago, an old buddy very graciously got me a Ric Flair Cameo thing done.

It was fantastic in so many ways, but what really set it off was that obviously Ric Flair had never heard of the Toyota Echo. Why would he? He's Ric effing Flair. It was an ugly car only made for 5 years. Heck, most regular people never heard of it.

He thought "Tayata Echo" was either my mistress or wife (hard to tell which).

So anyway, I hope you enjoy this masterpiece.

And seriously, sorry for being a butthead.

To try to get back into everybody's good graces, I'll share this....And it'll help explain how far my irrational love of the Echo goes.

Couple years ago, an old buddy very graciously got me a Ric Flair Cameo thing done.

It was fantastic in so many ways, but what really set it off was that obviously Ric Flair had never heard of the Toyota Echo. Why would he? He's Ric effing Flair. It was an ugly car only made for 5 years. Heck, most regular people never heard of it.

Toyota Echo laying by your side lmao

How insecure do you need to be to care if the car you drive is ugly or not?
Long live the Toyota Tercel!!!
Insecurity the only option? How about one just happens to have an opinion on a car’s appearance and likes nice cars? Wild thought I know.

lmfao

That. Is. AWESOME!

Weenie stand 😂😂

I must admit, I thought you were being kind of a jerk and way too sensitive about your Toyota Echo but I didn't know it was THAT kind of relationship with your car. So, I say, live and let live and as Rick Flair said "enjoy your lovely wife Toy Yoder Eeeckooo. . . I like that name!" :)

I must admit, I thought you were being kind of a jerk and way too sensitive about your Toyota Echo but I didn't know it was THAT kind of relationship with your car. So, I say, live and let live and as Rick Flair said "enjoy your lovely wife Toy Yoder Eeeckooo. . . I like that name!" :)
WTF.

Dude… :lmao:

WTF.

Dude… :lmao:

I saw the first 2-3 minutes of this YEARS ago and that bit seared into my mind. I have never watched it it again past him licking the steering wheel, that's as far I ever got and as much of that I will ever watch! :)

*removed* Apologies for contributing to it.

Last edited:
Been looking at leasehacker forums. Those guys find some crazy good deals. The lease 7500 pass thru on evs are being just abused.

Users who are viewing this thread