What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Caribbean Islands? (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
Ok, so me and the wife will celebrate 20 years of marriage this summer. We have done some travelling but most of it in the lower 48 and then a couple of mission trips to Mexico and Europe.

Anyways, we would like to go to a Caribbean Island but this is what we want:

1. Safety - primarily thinking of crime stats. I have heard that some islands and their peoples have some reputations of being a little surly. We would prefer to avoid those places.

2. If I could describe our dream place (without knowing the island) it would be on a nice beach with a little bungalow to lay our heads down at night. We would sleep in a little each day and make our way out to the beach late morning, come into the bungalow and have some lunch, head back out to the beach and ocean and then head into town (hopefully walking distance) for dinner and local entertainment. Then head back to the bungalow for an evening of rest and then repeat. Would also like one or two days where we could rent a couple of scooters or a car and do some driving around the island.

3. Not really interested in the all inclusive resorts.

So, anyone have any experience with this kind of vacation?

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend one of the (American) Virgin Islands. St. John is pretty quite, while St. Thomas has more stuff to do.

My dad makes it a point to go to St. Maarten at least once a year. Loves the island, and loves the people (both the French and Dutch sides).

I really really enjoyed Barbados and Turks & Caicos - both trips taken last year.

Both were very safe (especially T&C), I stayed at an all-inclusive at neither because I think all inclusive suck. I rented a car or scooter in both locations with success and fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, anyone have any experience with this kind of vacation?
I don't think anyone on this entire forum has taken a trip to the Caribbean. I don't know why anyone would. I'd recommend Kansas City for Barbeque, Porking, and Barbeque'd Pork.

I really really enjoyed Barbados and Turks & Caicos - both trips taken last year.

Both were very safe (especially T&C), I stayed at an all-inclusive at neither because I think all inclusive suck. I rented a car or scooter in both locations with success and fun.
From our limited research, Barbados seemed like a place that may have what we were looking for. I will look into both. Thanks!

My dad makes it a point to go to St. Maarten at least once a year. Loves the island, and loves the people (both the French and Dutch sides).
:goodposting:

Pound for pound my favorite island and I've been fortunate enough to visit most of them.

Cross Jamaica off your list due to safety.

The truth of it almost every island has a resort on it that is for a more mature crowd who is interested mainly in peace and quiet near a town with nightlife. As counter-intuitive as it sounds you need to plan this for what you want to do while you are NOT on the beach doing the R&R thing.

From our limited research, Barbados seemed like a place that may have what we were looking for. I will look into both. Thanks!
Barbados:

took a really long time to get to because it's so far south and east - the only downside.. but the upside is warmer water the further south.

do not stay on the south coast near Bridgetown (bridgetown is the only sketchy part of the island and the south gets too windy) - get a spot on the platinum coast near Holetown - I stayed at the Colony Club and enjoyed it but there are a lot of good options.

I really enjoyed the day I drove around the island - especially to the north point... it was just a very cool scene up there.

I also really enjoyed the Harbour Lights night show. Good Times was an excellent snorkel cruise with the Turtles - very cool.

But if you aren't into adventures it still had really nice beaches (albeit not nearly as nice as Turks and Caicos which had the best beaches I've ever laid eyes on - google Grace Bay Beach or Taylor Bay Beach)

don't have a lot of places to compare, but sounds like you want a laid back vacation. my wife and i loved the caymans. the water was incredible and the stingray/snorkle excursion was great. felt very safe walking downtown at night.

we did rent a car but the island is very small and there really isn't a bunch to do.

the water and beaches were incredible.

went to aruba lastyear and although there was more to do the beaches and water could not compare to the caymans.

don't have a lot of places to compare, but sounds like you want a laid back vacation. my wife and i loved the caymans. the water was incredible and the stingray/snorkle excursion was great. felt very safe walking downtown at night.

we did rent a car but the island is very small and there really isn't a bunch to do.

the water and beaches were incredible.

went to aruba lastyear and although there was more to do the beaches and water could not compare to the caymans.
Grand Caymen was very nice. I enjoyed it as well, I just had a better experience at T&C though as far as safety and relaxation go.

St. John will be my next island though, I just keep hearing too many good things.

Barbados:

took a really long time to get to because it's so far south and east - the only downside.. but the upside is warmer water the further south.

do not stay on the south coast near Bridgetown (bridgetown is the only sketchy part of the island and the south gets too windy) - get a spot on the platinum coast near Holetown - I stayed at the Colony Club and enjoyed it but there are a lot of good options.

I really enjoyed the day I drove around the island - especially to the north point... it was just a very cool scene up there.

I also really enjoyed the Harbour Lights night show. Good Times was an excellent snorkel cruise with the Turtles - very cool.

But if you aren't into adventures it still had really nice beaches (albeit not nearly as nice as Turks and Caicos which had the best beaches I've ever laid eyes on - google Grace Bay Beach or Taylor Bay Beach)
Awesome!

:goodposting:

And great food.
We went to St. Martin years ago to a place that had exactly what the OP wants. Bungalos that opened right up to the beach. It was awesome. Unfortunately it was wiped out by a hurricane and now I think it's a Westin property with only a main large building.

Great island though.

While searching old threads concerning the Caribbean someone mentioned Costa Rica as a very affordable place. I know its not an island but it has two oceans I can choose from. Any input from experienced C.R. travelers?

While searching old threads concerning the Caribbean someone mentioned Costa Rica as a very affordable place. I know its not an island but it has two oceans I can choose from. Any input from experienced C.R. travelers?
well i've been there as well for my honeymoon.

I wouldn't go there for their beaches compared to what you have listed... but if you want an adventure in their rain forest it is really awesome! Driving around there was sweet.

I felt safe there, but it was definitely less modernized than Barbados or T&C.

And with CR you want to stay away from San Jose as that is a crime ridden area - fly into the west coast airport - liberia

I wouldn't go there for their beaches compared to what you have listed... but if you want an adventure in their rain forest it is really awesome! Driving around there was sweet.

And with CR you want to stay away from San Jose as that is a crime ridden area - fly into the west coast airport - liberia
Thanks Dentist. I feel as if I may owe you a travel concierge fee. I appreciate your input.

We had our tire slashed in CR (San Jose) while we were driving (they wait for you to unload your trunk to steal everything), but the rest of CR was very nice/friendly.

Do you speak spanish? If not, go to Belize. English is the primary language of Belize and their currency is based off the US$.

If you want "safe and familiar" go to Grand Cayman. Its filled with overpriced accommodations and self-absorbed Americans who think the world revolves around them.

Truthfully, you can find what you described on pretty much every Caribbean island. It would be more helpful if you knew what else you were interested in (party, gamble, shop, swing, chill, eat, drink, smoke, snorkel, scuba, fish, sail, hike, mountains, beaches, jungles, hot springs, waterfalls, ziplines, adventure, etc).

Just booked a trip through Costco at this place in Antigua
i love booking through Costco.. i can't wait for your review of the island even if i wouldn't do an all-inclusive - Antigua has always seemed cool as well.
I had zero interest in doing an all-inclusive but it was one of the the best rated places through Costco and it wasn't that much more expensive. Costco beat AAA's price by almost $2K. We plan to eat at other places for most of our dinners to experience more of the island. Never been there so I am hoping I enjoy it.

If you want "safe and familiar" go to Grand Cayman. Its filled with overpriced accommodations and self-absorbed Americans who think the world revolves around them.
sounds like my kind of place, nothing like some good overpayment whilst I absorb how much better I am than everyone else because I can afford it.

i love booking through Costco.. i can't wait for your review of the island even if i wouldn't do an all-inclusive - Antigua has always seemed cool as well.
I had zero interest in doing an all-inclusive but it was one of the the best rated places through Costco and it wasn't that much more expensive. Costco beat AAA's price by almost $2K. We plan to eat at other places for most of our dinners to experience more of the island. Never been there so I am hoping I enjoy it.
:shock: this is why I like places that are a bit more "off the beaten path"... most of the places we've stayed recently (CR, Caye Caulker, Water Island, Jost Van Dyke, Mexico, Hondorus, etc) have been around $100/nt for what I consider a pretty nice place (not a luxury resort, mind you).

We had our tire slashed in CR (San Jose) while we were driving (they wait for you to unload your trunk to steal everything), but the rest of CR was very nice/friendly.

Do you speak spanish? If not, go to Belize. English is the primary language of Belize and their currency is based off the US$.

Truthfully, you can find what you described on pretty much every Caribbean island. It would be more helpful if you knew what else you were interested in (party, gamble, shop, swing, chill, eat, drink, smoke, snorkel, scuba, fish, sail, hike, mountains, beaches, jungles, hot springs, waterfalls, ziplines, adventure, etc).
[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]We would like to spend a lot of our day time walking out the front or back door onto the beach. It would be nice to be near a town where it would be safe to walk to so we could experience some local food and entertainment. If we stayed a week, we would probably only venture out two or three days to sight see. Would love to do that on some scooters or mopeds. Would like to let the wife be pampered a bit...get her a massage or two, pedicure, etc. but for the most part hang out at the beach and go to town at night to eat and meet the natives. Laid back! [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like my kind of place, nothing like some good overpayment whilst I absorb how much better I am than everyone else because I can afford it.
I like to pretend that Im not actually better and wealthier than everyone else when I travel. Its part of the fun of vacation. :thumbup:

:shock: this is why I like places that are a bit more "off the beaten path"... most of the places we've stayed recently (CR, Caye Caulker, Water Island, Jost Van Dyke, Mexico, Hondorus, etc) have been around $100/nt for what I consider a pretty nice place (not a luxury resort, mind you).
This is the #1 hotel on Jost Van Dyke? No way could I get my wife to stay there.

I like to pretend that Im not actually better and wealthier than everyone else when I travel. Its part of the fun of vacation. :thumbup:

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]We would like to spend a lot of our day time walking out the front or back door onto the beach. It would be nice to be near a town where it would be safe to walk to so we could experience some local food and entertainment. If we stayed a week, we would probably only venture out two or three days to sight see. Would love to do that on some scooters or mopeds. Would like to let the wife be pampered a bit...get her a massage or two, pedicure, etc. but for the most part hang out at the beach and go to town at night to eat and meet the natives. Laid back! [/SIZE]
Turks and Caicos

7 Stars Resort

Rent a car and drive to Taylor Bay Beach

Thank me later

This is the #1 hotel on Jost Van Dyke? No way could I get my wife to stay there.
That looks luxurious compared to the place we stayed. Ivan's Stress Free Campground was like $80/nt for a room with two Queen beds (10 an 12yo girls with us). It had a communal kitchen and bathrooms and you had to put a jug of water out in the sun all day if you wanted a warm "shower". There was a surfer with dreads next to us that did yoga on the beach every morning and one night a drunk British guy named Frodo who was "camping" in a hammock crashed on our couch on the porch because it rained so hard the night before. Everyone was extremely friendly and willing to share whatever they had. It was my kinda place.

Turks and Caicos

7 Stars Resort

Rent a car and drive to Taylor Bay Beach

Thank me later
Ill echo Dentist and say the T&C had the nicest beaches of any of the tropical places Ive been. Ive never seen water that color blue before (which is actually because the sand is so white).

That looks luxurious compared to the place we stayed. Ivan's Stress Free Campground was like $80/nt for a room with two Queen beds (10 an 12yo girls with us). It had a communal kitchen and bathrooms and you had to put a jug of water out in the sun all day if you wanted a warm "shower". There was a surfer with dreads next to us that did yoga on the beach every morning and one night a drunk British guy named Frodo who was "camping" in a hammock crashed on our couch on the porch because it rained so hard the night before. Everyone was extremely friendly and willing to share whatever they had. It was my kinda place.
:lmao: My wife would file for divorce. If i was 15 years younger I would be all over a place like that, I am now an old man.

Kind of where I was going to go and recommend more than one by taking a cruise. We are big RCCL fans and find that a day here and a day there is much better than being in one place for an entire week and the prices aren't that much different.

:lmao: My wife would file for divorce. If i was 15 years younger I would be all over a place like that, I am now an old man.
:lmao: I know what you mean. Its definitely not what most people consider a "vacation", but we like it. BTW - we're both 42 and we were actually some of the youngest people there. There were a lot of older folks that spend months at a time there. All and all, not a bad place to spend the winter.

stay away.

that is my favorite bar in the world and sandcastle couldn't be any more perfect. imho

Thanks Dentist. I feel as if I may owe you a travel concierge fee. I appreciate your input.
Most people go to the West coast, IIRC.

I went to the East coast and the beaches were amazing- not far off the islands at all.

I don't like places with crowds for this kind of thing- so the bigger islands that have cruise ships (St Maarten, Barbados, St Thomas, etc) are less appealing to me even though there's nothing really wrong with any of them.

We went to Barbados a couple of times years ago and liked it- but as somebody mentioned it's far. St Lucia should be mentioned- also far- but also really nice. St Vincent is a little closer and has some cool spots, but isn't as nice as the other islands

I've been dying to go to Dominica (different than Dominican Republic) for the seclusion and natural beauty.

But the problem we've had is that after jumping around the Carib over a bunch of years, we found Anguilla and pretty much only go there now. Great food, Great beaches, very very layed back honest and nice locals, nice range of upscale to midscale hotels and villas. No cruise ships. Not much walking around there though- you rent a car and drve.

Also love St Barths for a lot of the same reasons, except it's french. But without the terrible french people. More night-lifey as well- Anguilla is pretty mellow in that regards even though it has some spots.

El Floppo said:
Parrothead said:
x Infinity.

Do a search in this forum... lots of similar threads.
Agreed... For what you want.

I've been to St Martin a lot.. it's a lot of Time Shares and some bustle.... I like it.

Anguilla is the much more tranquil neighbor you escape to that sounds more like your dream....

My favorite Caribbean vacation ever. Really just perfect place imo. Great location, beach, good food. It was very quiet when we were there. So relaxing.
Any suggestions?
We only left the property once, midweek to do some shopping and just check out the sights. Stayed in one of the cottages, which was cool and private but it was a bit of a walk to the beach and restaurants. We ate at all the restaurants, enjoyed them all. Basically spent all our time popping back and forth between beach and pool, always with a tropical drink in hand of course. Oh and we did one of the catamaran cruises which are always great in the Caribbean.

Hey I'd love to head back, but now with 3 and 5 yr old girls we are all in on ghe Disney thing. I'm def a little jealous of you though.

Just got back and had an absolute blast. LOVED Galley Bay in Antigua. We were worried about the all-inclusive as well but all turned out well. They had 4 levels of restaurants ranging from a beach "pub" (Bare Foot Grill) to their high end (4 Star IMO) offering Ismay's. We ate twice at Ismay's and were extremely pleased each time. They offered chocolate whisky one evening for dessert as part of a quintet of chocolate. The shot of chocolate whisky was incredible and I asked if they would bring me a tumbler of it, no problem! The beer selection was "eh" though (couple of local beers) and they weren't really my style so I stuck with the fruity island frozen rum drinks and pretty much got a buzzed on every day.

The accommodations were fantastic. We got a beach front suite and the wife could not have been happier. We could walk right out our front door and be on the beach. We woke up every morning with the curtains open and a fantastic few of the ocean. The bathroom was gigantic. Huge double walk in shower, two sinks, toilet, bidet, and a rather nice tub.

The staff was also fantastic. As soon as we arrived our bags were swept away and we were handed our choice of champagne, rum punch or a fruit punch. The rum punch about knocked me off my feet by the time we arrived at the room. Everything we wanted was a call away. Wife got some sunburned on her back, called guest services and they delivered a stem from their aloe tree and told her to peel it and put it on twice per day.

The actual resort was beautiful and very low key. It is the exact opposite of Sandals which we visited and got the Jersey shore vibe. The beaches rarely had more than 15 people on them and it always felt as if you were on the beach by yourself. So if you are looking for the party atmosphere this isnt the place, its very quiet and private. They offered all the water sport activities you would expect and even had snorkeling fins to fit my size 15 feet.

We booked through Costco and from the couples we talked to, we got the best price by far. Because we booked through Costco we also received the following:

- $200 Gift Store Credit (wife got some jewelry)

- 25% off all Spa Treatments

- Free Wedding or Vow Renewal Ceremony ($500 value), included cake, champagne etc

- Private transfer to and from the Airport. This was a nice touch. We were picked up in a nice sedan and whisked away while the other Galley Bay visitors had to take a small bus to the resort.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Just got back and had an absolute blast. LOVED Galley Bay in Antigua. We were worried about the all-inclusive as well but all turned out well. They had 4 levels of restaurants ranging from a beach "pub" (Bare Foot Grill) to their high end (4 Star IMO) offering Ismay's. We ate twice at Ismay's and were extremely pleased each time. They offered chocolate whisky one evening for dessert as part of a quintet of chocolate. The shot of chocolate whisky was incredible and I asked if they would bring me a tumbler of it, no problem! The beer selection was "eh" though (couple of local beers) and they weren't really my style so I stuck with the fruity island frozen rum drinks and pretty much got a buzzed on every day.

The accommodations were fantastic. We got a beach front suite and the wife could not have been happier. We could walk right out our front door and be on the beach. We woke up every morning with the curtains open and a fantastic few of the ocean. The bathroom was gigantic. Huge double walk in shower, two sinks, toilet, bidet, and a rather nice tub.

The staff was also fantastic. As soon as we arrived our bags were swept away and we were handed our choice of champagne, rum punch or a fruit punch. The rum punch about knocked me off my feet by the time we arrived at the room. Everything we wanted was a call away. Wife got some sunburned on her back, called guest services and they delivered a stem from their aloe tree and told her to peel it and put it on twice per day.

The actual resort was beautiful and very low key. It is the exact opposite of Sandals which we visited and got the Jersey shore vibe. The beaches rarely had more than 15 people on them and it always felt as if you were on the beach by yourself. So if you are looking for the party atmosphere this isnt the place, its very quiet and private. They offered all the water sport activities you would expect and even had snorkeling fins to fit my size 15 feet.

We booked through Costco and from the couples we talked to, we got the best price by far. Because we booked through Costco we also received the following:

- $200 Gift Store Credit (wife got some jewelry)

- 25% off all Spa Treatments

- Free Wedding or Vow Renewal Ceremony ($500 value), included cake, champagne etc

- Private transfer to and from the Airport. This was a nice touch. We were picked up in a nice sedan and whisked away while the other Galley Bay visitors had to take a small bus to the resort.
thanks for the review.

Man I love booking through Costco... it is seriously the best.. Every vacation I have been able to I have and have never once been disappointed.

They are the best for rental cars as well... anytime

Users who are viewing this thread