What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carson Palmer Elbow (1 Viewer)

thehornet

Footballguy
Bengals QB Palmer questionable with right elbow injury

By PFW staff

Sept. 26, 2008

The Bengals will add QB Carson Palmer to Friday's injury report with a right elbow injury, and he is questionable for Sunday's game vs. Cleveland. Palmer has had soreness in the elbow during the week, the club said.

“Carson has told us he’s going to be ready to play, but he developed some carryover soreness from last week’s game (vs. the Giants),” Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said in a prepared statement. “We are backing him off a little in practice today, so he has to be listed on the report.”

Palmer has completed 52-of-90 passes for 514 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions this season.

Bengals QB Palmer questionable with right elbow injuryBy PFW staff Sept. 26, 2008 The Bengals will add QB Carson Palmer to Friday's injury report with a right elbow injury, and he is questionable for Sunday's game vs. Cleveland. Palmer has had soreness in the elbow during the week, the club said.“Carson has told us he’s going to be ready to play, but he developed some carryover soreness from last week’s game (vs. the Giants),” Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said in a prepared statement. “We are backing him off a little in practice today, so he has to be listed on the report.”Palmer has completed 52-of-90 passes for 514 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions this season.
Just speculation on my part, but I read this as the "limited participation in Practice" which translates to Questionable until the real injury reports come out tonight.I expect he'll start this week.

"It was just a rest day. I felt good with the game plan, confident with what we are doing and the doctors decided that the best thing to do would to be rested and fully healthy for Sunday," Palmer said of the sore right elbow. "I’ll be ready to roll on Sunday."

Palmer was asked if it was a result of contact and one of the six sacks on Sunday.

"It’s just some soreness. It will be fine by Sunday," he said. "Yeah, just from throwing."

When asked if it was overuse, he said, "possibly, yeah."

From Marvin Lewis:

"His elbow is reported as sore, so we’re just taking precautionary measures to make sure he’s up and ready to go on Sunday," Lewis said. "So, we basically limited his practice snaps and reps today and try to eliminate that so he can kinda let it settle down and where he feels good and comfortable and he can let go of the ball and release the ball effectively downfield."

Lewis said he looked at the practice film from Thursday and felt fine about where Palmer is for Sunday.

"I think through the rest he should be fine for Sunday, we’ll make that determination on Sunday," Lewis said.

He described Palmer's work today as "very limited." But, that's not really unusual.

"Friday he takes less reps anyway, because Friday is a day we give Ryan (Fitzpatrick) more work anyway. That’s the one thing we do," Lewis said. "So, it wasn’t a lot different, but a little. He does like to take a lot of reps. He didn’t throw his normal part today, that he normally does."

What this does do is make me second-guess starting Ocho Cinco. If Palmer has pain throwing the deep ball, it will put the damper on any potential Chad might have for a breakout week after his dismal start.

Sigh. Guess I'll go put Duane Bowe back in. I've switched these two guys all week long ...

What a disaster this guy is - misses probably the easiest matchup he'll have for a while. Whats his story - will he be back next week or is this long term? The entire offense is on life support as it is....

At 0-4, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned into one of those kinds of season ending injuries pro basketball players get at the end of the year when their team is out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 0-4, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned into one of those kinds of season ending injuries pro basketball players get at the end of the year when their team is out of it.
I would be. This is what Marvin said after the game. Can you give any detail about how bad Palmer's injury is?"He has an inflamed elbow and he's better. It was precautionary to not allow him to play today, which went against his wishes, so that we have an opportunity to have him ready for next week and beyond. We'll evaluate where he is on Wednesday. It is progressing, but today, it was the best thing to do for him long-term."When was the decision made?"He and I talked about it late last night. He's tough and he wanted to play very badly."Is it tough to think long-term when you're 0-3?"It's not tough to think long-term. He has a long time ahead of him and hopefully we'll have him back and ready to go next week."

I would be. This is what Marvin said after the game. Can you give any detail about how bad Palmer's injury is?"He has an inflamed elbow and he's better. It was precautionary to not allow him to play today, which went against his wishes, so that we have an opportunity to have him ready for next week and beyond. We'll evaluate where he is on Wednesday. It is progressing, but today, it was the best thing to do for him long-term."When was the decision made?"He and I talked about it late last night. He's tough and he wanted to play very badly."Is it tough to think long-term when you're 0-3?"It's not tough to think long-term. He has a long time ahead of him and hopefully we'll have him back and ready to go next week."
:thumbdown: Thanks - hopefully it was a one week deal...

Is Marvin maybe trying to get himself fired? MRI showed no structural damage at all for Palmer. Palmer wanted to play. Marvin made him sit.

if a doc said "he can not injure his arm by playing" and he still didn't play...

fire lewis now

O-3 in a must win against a butter Def and Lewis sits his #1QB as a precautionary measure. Something isn't right here. Either Lewis is an idiot or this is a classic tale of NFL misinformation about an injury. I lean towards the former. Some OC/DC's don't make good coaches.

Marvin and Carson are not telling the whole truth here. The rumor is that it could be as bad as Tommy John, but lips are sealed.

Disarmed and dangerous

Now Lewis at risk of having players quit on him

By Paul Daugherty • September 29, 2008

Unless Carson Palmer slips into Lazarus mode in the next seven days, a bad Bengals season will get worse. And worse is definitely possible, even by this franchise's standards.

Something is wrong with Palmer's elbow. It's something worse than fatigue or soreness or mild inflammation. We don't know what it is. But we do know Palmer, whose toughness is matched only by his honesty. Read this exchange between Palmer and the press after the loss Sunday, and decide for yourself:

"Did the MRI show anything scary?''

Palmer: "I'm not going to comment on everything.''

"Do you think it's long term?"

Palmer, after a pause: "I hope not.''

Not, "No, definitely not.'' Not, "No, I'll be fine for next week.'' Some QBs would say that, even if weren't true.

Not Palmer.

Palmer says, I hope not.

Even if it isn't long term, is there a great case for starting Palmer in Dallas against the Cowboys next week? Not with the Bengals a sinking 0-4 ship. Not with the way Dallas' defense has played, and the way the Bengals have not protected The Franchise. Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't embarrass himself Sunday. Throw him to the wolves.

Max Power said:
Disarmed and dangerousNow Lewis at risk of having players quit on himBy Paul Daugherty • September 29, 2008Unless Carson Palmer slips into Lazarus mode in the next seven days, a bad Bengals season will get worse. And worse is definitely possible, even by this franchise's standards.Something is wrong with Palmer's elbow. It's something worse than fatigue or soreness or mild inflammation. We don't know what it is. But we do know Palmer, whose toughness is matched only by his honesty. Read this exchange between Palmer and the press after the loss Sunday, and decide for yourself:"Did the MRI show anything scary?''Palmer: "I'm not going to comment on everything.''"Do you think it's long term?"Palmer, after a pause: "I hope not.''Not, "No, definitely not.'' Not, "No, I'll be fine for next week.'' Some QBs would say that, even if weren't true.Not Palmer.Palmer says, I hope not.Even if it isn't long term, is there a great case for starting Palmer in Dallas against the Cowboys next week? Not with the Bengals a sinking 0-4 ship. Not with the way Dallas' defense has played, and the way the Bengals have not protected The Franchise. Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't embarrass himself Sunday. Throw him to the wolves.
:rolleyes: Last night during the game, ESPN's scroller said that the MRI on Palmer showed no structural damage.

0-16 is a definite possibility. Dare to dream big.

If the Bengals medical staff had anything to do with reading the MRI results, his arm probably will need to be amputated.

Project Mayhem said:
Marvin and Carson are not telling the whole truth here.
No doubt about it. While Marvin and Carson are trying to spin it as a purely precautionary decision that Palmer didn't agree with, Ryan Fitzpatrick accidentally spills the beans:Q: When did you know you were going to start today's football game?

"I got to take all of the reps in practice on Friday. Then it was still up in the air, in terms of Carson's health. ... Carson came to me last night and told me he didn't think he was going to be able to go."

http://www.bengals.com/team/quotes080928.asp

This is just great. Looking like Palmer and Rodgers may miss next week or more, leaving me with only Russell to start. And guys like Orton aren't even on the waiver wire.

Marvin is standing by the "inflamation" line today at the presser. Said he will probably practice Wednesday and evaluate it.

Carson Palmer claimed Monday that he doesn't need surgery on his inflamed elbow.

Coach Marvin Lewis said the Bengals will prepare as if Ryan Fitzpatrick will start Week 5, but Palmer says he's getting himself ready. "I've already made my mind up that I am playing Sunday," Palmer said, allowing that he'll "probably be limited in practice this week." More will be known Wednesday, but there is speculation that Palmer may need Tommy John surgery. Sep. 29 - 4:42 pm et

Source: bengals.com

Just traded him and Eddie Royal with cheese for Eli Manning and the Bears D. I know you don't care about my team, but I do. And yes, I will keep you guys informed as my season progresses.

But seriously, in terms of fantasy value, Palmer doesn't have any more than any of the bottom of the barrel QB's this season in terms of re-drafts. He's hurt, the Bengals stink, and they have no O-Line.

Bump for new info...
the_future420 is probably still asleep but I am sure he will be in soon to let us know what is new with his team...we should know more after practice today
I just spoke with Anquan and he says that he is feeling great. Theres a chance he may play for us this week. I tell you, that guy is a warrior. Rodgers' shoulder is still hurting him, but if I had to give you a straight up answer right now, I'd say that he will try and gut it out for us against the Falcons. :own3d:

Just read on Rotoworld that he is very iffy to play on Sunday. C'mon Carson, just come out and say you need Tommy John surgery. At least spare us poor owners the agony. We've already suffered enough drafting you high, watch you flop in the first 2 games and then miss the last game when you said you were going to play all along. I really could use the roster space.

Carson Palmer backtracked Wednesday from his statement that he will play this week, saying it has "yet to be determined" if he will play at Dallas.

"It's a similar situation to last week," he said. "We'll see how things play out this week." Palmer's early status is questionable with inflammation in his right elbow, but we have serious doubts about him taking the field this week. Look for other options at quarterback for Week 5.

This was blogged a couple hours ago.

Plenty of Carson's quotes for conjecture and interpretation...

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com

Palmer: Same as last week

Posted by MarkCurnutte at 10/1/2008 11:25 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

UPDATED: 12:23 p.m.

Carson Palmer said this morning that whether he plays Sunday at Dallas has yet to be determined.

“Nothing’s changed. Like I said last week, I prepare. I’m expecting to play, like I said,” Palmer said this morning. “I’ll be a little bit limited in practice but getting as many reps as I can and looks like it’ll come down to a decision later on in the week.”

Palmer's early status was questionable for Dallas. He has inflammation in his right (throwing) elbow. Palmer has been receiving several hours of treatment a day. There is no ligament damage.

“Definitely, it’s definitely getting better,” he said. “It’s progressed day by day, and I keep my fingers crossed, keep praying and hope that it keeps progressing and that I’ll be ready to roll.”

Palmer is limited in practice today. In quarterback drills, he was dropping back but not throwing the ball.

“Yeah, I mean, you don’t want to over-stress what I’ve got going on and when you do, that’s when you start either getting tendonitis or start tearing things and requiring surgery later on down the road,” he said. “So the training staff’s going to take this thing as slow as possible and definitely have a long-term mindset and wanting to see some progression, and make sure we’re not pushing it too fast.”

Being patient is difficult.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to not have many injuries like this that have kept me out of games and I’ve practiced ever since I’ve been here, every single day, and haven’t missed practices,” Palmer said. “So it’s different watching and only doing the run plays and not getting to throw, so it can be frustrating. But I just need to be patient like I said and trust the medical staff that they’re doing the right thing.”

He said he has never had elbow problems before.

Ryan Fitzpatrick would make his second start in a row if Palmer can't play.

Palmer said playing at Texas Stadium would be a boyhood dream come true.

"Personally, I grew up a Cowboys fan," said Palmer, who played the Cowboys only once, in Cincinnati, in 2004.

"I've always wanted to see (Texas Stadium) and play there. It's America's team. They probably won't admit it, but everybody wants to get drafted by the Cowboys, the way the organization is set up and the way it treats its players. It's kind of like seeing the big show, like the Lakers of the NFL."

Users who are viewing this thread