What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time (2 Viewers)

My young cat caught and killed his first bird (sparrow) the other day. He was so proud. It's going to be bad when all the baby robins and black birds start hopping around. Yikes.
How old? Our rescue cat was indoor only during the winter as she was found nearly frozen to death and wanted no part of outside but is now heading out accompanied by either my wife or me. She's watching them but not yet attacking. About 6 months old now

My young cat caught and killed his first bird (sparrow) the other day. He was so proud. It's going to be bad when all the baby robins and black birds start hopping around. Yikes.
How old? Our rescue cat was indoor only during the winter as she was found nearly frozen to death and wanted no part of outside but is now heading out accompanied by either my wife or me. She's watching them but not yet attacking. About 6 months old now
He's a little over a year old. The first few times I ever put him out was when it was snowing/freezing. I thought that would discourage him from wanting to go out. Now that it's Spring, he wants to be out all the time. Both cats do well outside. They don't wander too far and always come back when I call them. The younger one needs to learn some respect for dogs though.
Ours won't come in when called but comes in within 5 min of realizing mommy and daddy are gone. Doesn't wander too far either. My wife is paranoid about letting her out so I'm trying to get a better way to get her in when we want

Anyone ever teach their cats tricks? Fetch, shake, anything like that. Got an 8 month old cat figured it'd be cool if he could do that.

Anyone ever teach their cats tricks? Fetch, shake, anything like that. Got an 8 month old cat figured it'd be cool if he could do that.
My stepmother taught hers to play dead, but she uses the word "noodle" and the cat just gets stretched out and then totally limp. Some are definitely trainable if you want to spend the time on it.

My cat learned how to keep my ### warm in the dead of winter by not needing to go outside to take a dump. Seems like anything else is asking too much.

Some cats will do this, but I figure they decide. My friend's cat spent about a month teaching her to play fetch. She didn't know a cat would do that.

Some cats will do this, but I figure they decide. My friend's cat spent about a month teaching her to play fetch. She didn't know a cat would do that.
Our car plays fetch. Unlike a dog, it's no guarantee that she brings it all the way back (she's a cat, if she wants to do something else she will)... But knows that if she brings her mouse to use the game is on.

Now if we could just train her to not bite our feet at 5am

My cats afraid of everything he sucks
What is your cat sucking?
My calico about 9 months old sucks his tail.

She just showed up one day when she's probably 4 months old. She was probably ofv the teet to early.
HIS tail? Male calicos are pretty rare...about 1 in 3000.Most male calicos are also sterile. If you have one that's not, he's worth some money. I've read of people paying upwards of $20k for a non-sterile calico male.

1 yr old russian blue kept me up all night. She was in full spaz mode playing with crap all over the house and in the bedroom. You lock her out and she jumps on the door trying to open it - which she can unless it's locked. This was going on from 1am-5am

Kitten Question

I've had 1 other cat, but we adopted it at around 1year old, was a great cat, we loved it, it loved us, we lost him :'( kids were heart broken...

So, the kids have been after us to get a new kitten for quite some time and we just recently gave in. We visited a young lady who had a cat problem. She had several adult cats with no money for spade/neuter, so 3 litters of kittens this spring.. We donated a little money for vet bills and took 1 kitten off her hands. The kids picked out a little black and white Sylvester look alike, a male, we named him 'Cotton' (cool name I thought, the kids came up with it)

This kitten has no voice, he tries to meow but can only muster a faint whine, sometimes sounds like his voice is cracking. The plan is to take him to the vet next month for all of his shots, and neutering, hopefully everything will check out a-ok. He's currently about 9 weeks old. He is very active, plays, eats, uses the litter box like you'd expect, no other visible issues that I can detect from my limited experience.

The question is: Is it normal for a kitten to have no voice at this age? Will he grow into it? is there something wrong with this cat? Is this a sign of some common issue I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice..

1 yr old russian blue kept me up all night. She was in full spaz mode playing with crap all over the house and in the bedroom. You lock her out and she jumps on the door trying to open it - which she can unless it's locked. This was going on from 1am-5am
Russian blues are the best cats in the world. :wub: Except, maybe, yours. (Just kidding; sounds like normal young cat stuff.)

Kitten Question

I've had 1 other cat, but we adopted it at around 1year old, was a great cat, we loved it, it loved us, we lost him :'( kids were heart broken...

So, the kids have been after us to get a new kitten for quite some time and we just recently gave in. We visited a young lady who had a cat problem. She had several adult cats with no money for spade/neuter, so 3 litters of kittens this spring.. We donated a little money for vet bills and took 1 kitten off her hands. The kids picked out a little black and white Sylvester look alike, a male, we named him 'Cotton' (cool name I thought, the kids came up with it)

This kitten has no voice, he tries to meow but can only muster a faint whine, sometimes sounds like his voice is cracking. The plan is to take him to the vet next month for all of his shots, and neutering, hopefully everything will check out a-ok. He's currently about 9 weeks old. He is very active, plays, eats, uses the litter box like you'd expect, no other visible issues that I can detect from my limited experience.

The question is: Is it normal for a kitten to have no voice at this age? Will he grow into it? is there something wrong with this cat? Is this a sign of some common issue I should be aware of?

Sounds like he's hitting you with the "silent meow". I love the silent meow.

Nothing to worry about. :) And congrats on the new kitten. Strongly suggest at least considering a second kitten. At shelters I've worked at, we wouldn't adopt out a single kitten alone. They can be very destructive if they don't have another kitten or cat to play with.

Same deal here in NYC. My wife wanted two and made me read up on "single cat syndrome". I didn't really buy into it and thought it was just so they can clear out the shelters quicker. Really true in your opinion? No regrets at all that we got two but I've been curious. I could certainly see it helping since they're home for hours on end alone.

Same deal here in NYC. My wife wanted two and made me read up on "single cat syndrome". I didn't really buy into it and thought it was just so they can clear out the shelters quicker. Really true in your opinion? No regrets at all that we got two but I've been curious. I could certainly see it helping since they're home for hours on end alone.
I do think it's true to a certain extent, but I don't think it's disastrous for every kitten to be alone. For the shelters I've worked with, the issue is that the cat is much more likely to be returned to the shelter for behavioral issues, which is not a good outcome.

Just from anecdotal experience I can say that right after we moved back to the US late last year, one of our cats died, and our youngest started acting insane (we had three). He was suddenly destructive and meowing constantly and driving us nuts. We adopted a kitten for him and wham(!), all behavioral issues went away. Was definitely the best thing for us, but I don't think every kitten is going to be crazed without a companion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kitten Question

Ask the vet if the kitten is or is at least partly a 'Maine Coon.' They tend not to meow like a regular cat but will yowl, chatter, chirp, or make other noises. We found a kitten a couple years ago in the wheel-well of a car in a Wal-mart that is partly a Coon. She doesn't meow but will chirp when she is excited.

I had a cat for 10 years that had a super hoarse, almost inaudible meow. His mouth would open and you'd barely hear a tiny sound. Nothing was wrong with him, just born with a weak set of vocal chords.

Same here. We've had two brothers for nearly 14 years. They're capable of a 'normal' meow but mostly just go "Ackkk!" like Bill the Cat from Bloom County.

Russian blues are the best cats in the world. :wub: Except, maybe, yours. (Just kidding; sounds like normal young cat stuff.)
She's a great cat. Just tends to be nocturnal. The upside is during the day she's all sleepy and lets the kids carry her around everywhere.

I do think it's true to a certain extent, but I don't think it's disastrous for every kitten to be alone. For the shelters I've worked with, the issue is that the cat is much more likely to be returned to the shelter for behavioral issues, which is not a good outcome.

Just from anecdotal experience I can say that right after we moved back to the US late last year, one of our cats died, and our youngest started acting insane (we had three). He was suddenly destructive and meowing constantly and driving us nuts. We adopted a kitten for him and wham(!), all behavioral issues went away. Was definitely the best thing for us, but I don't think every kitten is going to be crazed without a companion.
I've read a range of views on this subject matter. I was strongly of the get our kitty a friend mindset, my wife not so much (not to mention our landlord). As I read, it became more apparent that (1) cats are often loner type hunting animals and as such (2) often don't get along with other cats (even read articles bout cats setting up on totally separate sides of the house).

That said, I always had multiple cats growing up and for the most part got along. And if you aren't home for extended period there is lonely cat syndrome as a concern.

I've read a range of views on this subject matter. I was strongly of the get our kitty a friend mindset, my wife not so much (not to mention our landlord). As I read, it became more apparent that (1) cats are often loner type hunting animals and as such (2) often don't get along with other cats (even read articles bout cats setting up on totally separate sides of the house).

That said, I always had multiple cats growing up and for the most part got along. And if you aren't home for extended period there is lonely cat syndrome as a concern.
While many cats will initially have issues with other cats, (1) that is much less common in kittens, and (2) in the vast majority of cases (though there are a small number who really just need to be only cats), if introduced properly they will get past this. If not adopting two together, use the slow introduction methods that are pretty well known and settled.

Users who are viewing this thread