What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time (1 Viewer)

OK, has anyone come across a cat that is furious at speakerphones? I work from home now and often take conference calls on speaker, but I have to put one of our cats into another room because she goes, and I am not exaggerating, freaking insane. She will start biting the phone and if I move the phone away from her, she will attack me, biting my arms and legs and clawing at me. And I don't mean little love bites; I mean full-on teeth-tearing-my-pants-and-shirt furious bites.

It would actually be funny if it weren't so terrifying. OK, it's kind of funny anyway.

OK, has anyone come across a cat that is furious at speakerphones? I work from home now and often take conference calls on speaker, but I have to put one of our cats into another room because she goes, and I am not exaggerating, freaking insane. She will start biting the phone and if I move the phone away from her, she will attack me, biting my arms and legs and clawing at me. And I don't mean little love bites; I mean full-on teeth-tearing-my-pants-and-shirt furious bites.

It would actually be funny if it weren't so terrifying. OK, it's kind of funny anyway.
pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease video.

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease video.
Damn, I really should. Might have to have Mr. krista do it since I'll be busy being mauled.

sorry, that's funny :lol:

That's pretty awesome. My younger cat hates the alarm on my cell phone. It's my backup alarm so I'm normally in the shower when it goes off. At first he just gnawed and scratched the hell out of the phone. Now he knows how to shut it off.
:lmao: :lmao:

I have the litter robot.......works grrrrrrreeeaaatttt.
I thought about it. You really like it? Is it the cat's meow?
That darn thing is nearly half a rack. And you say worth it?
Yeah expensive.......we are on our second one in about 10 years. Wife bought it as she does the cat box cleaning....Can go a full week before emptying...after week starts to get ripe. Cat does its business and robot rotates and drops dung into bottom tray.

Edit to add: we have 2 cats and wife says she never scoops just empties tray.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting:

my ####### cat has the 'betes, real bad. 2 shots a day and he walks with a limp.

but he hasn't puked in my ear.

yet.
Awww. I've dealt with that before. How does he do with the shots? How old is he?
He scarfs his food and then pretty much passes out straight away. I give him the shots when he's in his post-food coma.
oh... and speaking of robo-litter- another side-effect of the diabetes- he gets up fine to pee in the litter box, but for some reason poops right in front. He'll even walk into the litter box, walk around a bit and THEN come out to poop on the floor right in front of the damn thing. :wall:

eta: not sure how old he is... he was feral in the parking lot across the street from us (now a luxury rental mid-rise). A bunch of us in the neighborhood fed him over the course of a summer through a chainlink fence (us on the sidewalk, him with the cars on the other side of the fence). The most people friendly cat I've ever seen, which makes sense that he was getting fed by at least half a dozen different people in teh hood. Fall was heading towards winter when we noticed that he had a worsening eye infection. Friendly guy became nutso the first time we tried to trap him (wiht our bare hands :morons: ) from HIS side of the fence. We borrowed a raccoon trap from a local rescue operation, loaded it up with food, and he sauntered right in. I took him immediately to my vet who offered to neuter, spay and adopt him out for free.

We already had another older cat so had no intention of inflicting some stray on him... until we got the call from the vet who told us they were going to put him down because he was so completely feral/wild/crazy (they had to gas him to put him out, couldn't get close enough to stick him with a needle) that they felt he wouldn't be adoptable. #### that- we didn't rescue him so they could put him down... at the least we were going to find somebody ourselves or make a winter home for him (I started designing one using an insulated cooler/box) back in the parking lot.

We got him back to our pad and closed him in our office.... didn't see him for a week, as he pressed himself under my wife's pattern table while I tried to meet a deadline in there. He sprayed the entire time... my eyes practically bled... and also projectile shat- that was a fun deadline. But after that first week, he started to poke his head out, and bit by bit over the next week or two worked his way out from under the desk until that one moment when he sauntered over to me, rubbed up against my leg and fell asleep purringat my feet getting his head rubbed.

I've lost track of how long ago that was... but I think it was in 2004 or 5. We and the vet guessed that he was 1 or 2 when we pulled him off the street, so he's around 10.

Did I ever mention we got him a face-lift?

We de-clawed 1st cat.........Brutal. If you can get around doing this do. If not you might as well water board the little guy as well. Pure torture.

Do not declaw a cat. If you are in a situation where the only way you can keep a cat is to declaw, then you're not in a situation where you can keep a cat.

Do not declaw a cat. If you are in a situation where the only way you can keep a cat is to declaw, then you're not in a situation where you can keep a cat.
:goodposting: I declawed the first cat I had as an adult but had no idea how awful it was. I think many people just don't get that. I was lucky in that mine did not become aggressive, but that can often happen.

Bunny El Floppo, I loved your story of your feral/not feral guy. What is his name? I love him without having met him.

:goodposting: I declawed the first cat I had as an adult but had no idea how awful it was. I think many people just don't get that. I was lucky in that mine did not become aggressive, but that can often happen.

Bunny El Floppo, I loved your story of your feral/not feral guy. What is his name? I love him without having met him.
Somebody in the neighborhood had named him Chip, so that was the name I gave the vet and the name that stuck. But it went from Chip to Chipadoodle, to Doodle, to Doodlepants, to Pants, to ####head, to ####, to Head, back to Chip, then Chippy, ChippyChanga, to now just Changa. The 2yo calls him ChippyCat and freaking loves him- to the point of absolute feline humiliation... but with 2 kids in the bag and not as much attention from mom and dad, the cat knows where to get his love.

He's basically a puppy with how he treats people... runs up to anybody at the door, climbs into their shoes or bags and basically won't leave strangers alone. I know some cats can be aloof... not this perverted slut.

what else... half a Hitler mustache. Oh yeah- and the facelift. He's basically Mickey Rourke at this point.

Its funny..Me and my ex (who now has a cat rescue) used to have our cats declawed, and we've never had a problem with any of them (the oldest declawed ones are now around 10 years old). A few years ago after reading horror stories and realizing that its a pretty sh***y thing to do, we stopped doing it. So now I use soft claws for my cat (strictly indoor cat), have used them for almost a year and they're great. $13 for a pack of 40 I think at Pet Supermarket or online, you only need to put them on the front claws, and the pack lasts 4-7 months. My neighbor now uses them on her cat as well once she saw how well they worked for my cat. I highly recommend them as an alternative to declawing. I have leather furniture and not a scratch on it thanks to soft claws.

We tried those soft claws but the darn cat was too smart and kept removing them. Eventually she chilled out and stopped ruining the furniture. I think the beatings helped. Just kidding.

i thought this thread was about car talk not cat talk so hey i came to talk mopar and it just is not going to happen well the old swcer says good on you cat mateys and keep on cattin on take that to the bank brochachos swc out

We tried those soft claws but the darn cat was too smart and kept removing them. Eventually she chilled out and stopped ruining the furniture. I think the beatings helped. Just kidding.
Scratching post?

We have two of them. When they were kittens and we caught them scratching furniture and the like, we would carry the kitten over to the post and place front claws on the scratching surface.

How was she removing them? My cat tries once I'm a while but the glue is like super glue, he's never been able to pull them off.

Can anyone convince me why I should buy a $40-$50 water fountain for my cat, which will also include future costs for replacing the filters, as opposed to the tried and true method of fresh tap water daily from the kitchen sink?
I got rid of the filter and opened the inlet on mine. Only have to clean it monthly.
We saved a kitten a couple months back (she somehow survived the coldest night of the year here in NY, which is saying something as she was alone and only 5 weeks old)... at first she kept having a dry nose, even though we fed her a combo of wet and dry food. She LOVES the fountain and took to it immediately. I realized this when we took her with us to a hotel in NYC for the night, and the kitten was loving the faucet, especially when on...

the benefit is much better hydration, you can get one that is aesthetically pleasing or at least ok, plus its a nice soothing waterfall sound in addition.

I agree totally. My wife was pushing for declawing, I would not have it.. "but she's an indoor cat" - which I KNOW will sneak outside at some point. Just not fair to the animal. Buy different furniture or dont have a cat

I have nothing new to add right now but I just wanna say I ####### love our cats. About a year ago there would have been a better chance of me saying I love the standup of Kathy Griffin than that statement.

I have nothing new to add right now but I just wanna say I ####### love our cats. About a year ago there would have been a better chance of me saying I love the standup of Kathy Griffin than that statement.
I agree with you and I'd even go as far as saying a better chance of me wanting to do Rosie O'Donnell.

I am not a cat guy at all. In November my 14 year old daughter talked me into getting a cat because she thought I was lonely. I am divorced and contrary to what my daughter thinks I am not lonely. My daughter is great and she has my back. She comes over to see me more too because of the cat. She talked me into a beta fish too!

Anyway...we went to the humane society and got a 12 week old cat. He had a nasty cut on the bottom of his chin from his collar. He has isolated from his litter so he was very appreciative of attention. He has been amazing. Never puked, no issues with the litter box and he is very social. My family was shocked when I got a cat and I have to admit it is nice to have him around. He cracks me up at times. I am thankful he isn't one of those psycho cats or one that hides under the bed. I have learned how to trim his nails and he has one of those scratching boxes which he uses a lot. I don't have to take him outside to take a dump and there are no issues if I travel overnight.

So for those that think you may not ever want a cat I can tell you they aren't that bad.

I agree with you and I'd even go as far as saying a better chance of me wanting to do Rosie O'Donnell.

I am not a cat guy at all. In November my 14 year old daughter talked me into getting a cat because she thought I was lonely. I am divorced and contrary to what my daughter thinks I am not lonely. My daughter is great and she has my back. She comes over to see me more too because of the cat. She talked me into a beta fish too!

Anyway...we went to the humane society and got a 12 week old cat. He had a nasty cut on the bottom of his chin from his collar. He has isolated from his litter so he was very appreciative of attention. He has been amazing. Never puked, no issues with the litter box and he is very social. My family was shocked when I got a cat and I have to admit it is nice to have him around. He cracks me up at times. I am thankful he isn't one of those psycho cats or one that hides under the bed. I have learned how to trim his nails and he has one of those scratching boxes which he uses a lot. I don't have to take him outside to take a dump and there are no issues if I travel overnight.

So for those that think you may not ever want a cat I can tell you they aren't that bad.
Did he eat the beta fish yet.....cause my daughters fish turned up missing and our cat was our best/only suspect.

Did he eat the beta fish yet.....cause my daughters fish turned up missing and our cat was our best/only suspect.
No, I made sure to get a cover for the tank it is in. He rarely even notices the fish. He did attack a fly the other night and ate it.

I've had cats declawed, and after the 1st week or so they acted just like they always had. No personality or behavior change at all. Even tried to "scratch" up the furniture like they always did.

Just a lot less yelling and water spraying.

I've had cats declawed, and after the 1st week or so they acted just like they always had. No personality or behavior change at all. Even tried to "scratch" up the furniture like they always did.

I'm sure your kids would eventually get used to it too if you pulled out all their fingernails. Guess there's no real problem doing that either.

I'm sure your kids would eventually get used to it too if you pulled out all their fingernails. Guess there's no real problem doing that either.
It's worse than pulling their fingernails out; it's more akin to cutting their fingers off at the first knuckle.

It's worse than pulling their fingernails out; it's more akin to cutting their fingers off at the first knuckle.
It's ok, kids don't need them. Helps keep their greasy fingerprints off my precious furniture.

I don't agree with the finger comparison. A person wouldn't be able to hold things nearly as well with fingers cut off above the 1st knuckle. Cats don't really grasp things like humans do.

I'm not saying I'm for it anymore, just that the cats really didn't seem to care at all or act any differently. Even as far as still needed to scratch.

I used to think this way too...Ive had many cats declawed over the years...but if you read up on it you'll find that a lot of vets in the US don't do it anymore, and its banned in many countries, as well as the fact that you're risking your cats health by doing it, it can really f them up. I myself have never seen or had a problem, but it can happen, and I no longer think its worth the risk, IMO. There are alternatives. I'm not judging you, just saying that my opinion on the practice has completely changed in the last year or so, and I used to think it wasn't a big deal. Just something to think about if you ever consider it again in the future.

Wingnut said:
James Daulton said:

I used to think this way too...Ive had many cats declawed over the years...but if you read up on it you'll find that a lot of vets in the US don't do it anymore, and its banned in many countries, as well as the fact that you're risking your cats health by doing it, it can really f them up. I myself have never seen or had a problem, but it can happen, and I no longer think its worth the risk, IMO. There are alternatives. I'm not judging you, just saying that my opinion on the practice has completely changed in the last year or so, and I used to think it wasn't a big deal. Just something to think about if you ever consider it again in the future.
I totally agree with this statement. After having all my cats declawed I met my current wife who had a cat with his claws. She kept scratchers around and we never had any issue with it. Adopted other cats with claws intact after the older ones died off and haven't had any issues again as long as there are scratchers around.My ex and I did have one cat who after getting declawed would freak out if you touched his paws. That was a major catalyst to never doing it again. I was also amazed that at the time (15yrs ago) that the vets didn't give out pain pills for the cats.
We always had one scratch pad, but in the future if we get cats we'll get some more. Just that every cat I've had has scratched the hell out of the furniture. You also have to be careful if you have elderly people around who are on blood thinners and such.

Wingnut said:
James Daulton said:

:goodposting: Also not judging, just trying to educate. As I mentioned I had a cat declawed before I knew what was involved as well.

James Daulton, you are wrong however that it is not akin to chopping off at a knuckle, as that is EXACTLY what the actual procedure is. I'm sure you can google it to understand better but here's an article from the Humane Society describing this: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/declawing.html

In terms of behavioral differences, it's anecdotal but I've been extremely heavily involved with several animal shelters over the years. Almost without fail the cats who had serious behavioral problems were declawed. The worst I ever saw was a four-paw declaw who had to be kept in his own room and literally only one person at the shelter could deal with him without risking life and limb--this cat would take CHUNKS out of people--and even she got bitten now and then. This doesn't mean that all or even a majority of cats who are declawed will experience these issues, and I've known tons of declaws that were fine, but again without fail those that did have issues were declawed. They are compensating for their lack of protection mechanisms--i.e., their claws--by aggressive biting.

As awareness has been raised of what's actually involved in declawing and how unnecessary it is, I think the trend has really changed to not declawing, which is great!

Wingnut said:
James Daulton said:

:goodposting: Also not judging, just trying to educate. As I mentioned I had a cat declawed before I knew what was involved as well.

James Daulton, you are wrong however that it is not akin to chopping off at a knuckle, as that is EXACTLY what the actual procedure is. I'm sure you can google it to understand better but here's an article from the Humane Society describing this: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/declawing.html

In terms of behavioral differences, it's anecdotal but I've been extremely heavily involved with several animal shelters over the years. Almost without fail the cats who had serious behavioral problems were declawed. The worst I ever saw was a four-paw declaw who had to be kept in his own room and literally only one person at the shelter could deal with him without risking life and limb--this cat would take CHUNKS out of people--and even she got bitten now and then. This doesn't mean that all or even a majority of cats who are declawed will experience these issues, and I've known tons of declaws that were fine, but again without fail those that did have issues were declawed. They are compensating for their lack of protection mechanisms--i.e., their claws--by aggressive biting.

As awareness has been raised of what's actually involved in declawing and how unnecessary it is, I think the trend has really changed to not declawing, which is great!
The trend is definitely changing. Thanks for your experiences.

I adopted an older cat (5yrs old) from the Humane Society a year ago. He was declawed...first declawed cat I've every had. He does act differently about his front paws. Like someone said about their cat, he really dislikes you touching them. He also does some very bizarre things with toys where he sits on them, then claws them with his back paws. Kinda like a lion on a nature show marking his territory then scraping the ground with his back paws.

:lmao: Awesome.
Yes. My cat with the barfing problem is 8. Sleeps in our bed 4-5 nights a week. Snuggly and purry and awesome. A few years back we added a second cat. I was wary at first but she's been a breeze. A rescue from the inner city, she's just happy to be alive. Doesn't barf or claw up anything (we had issues for a while with the older cat ) and is super chill and pleasant. She sleeps on the top bunk with my 6 year old son most nights. I love them long time.

Yes. My cat with the barfing problem is 8. Sleeps in our bed 4-5 nights a week. Snuggly and purry and awesome. A few years back we added a second cat. I was wary at first but she's been a breeze. A rescue from the inner city, she's just happy to be alive. Doesn't barf or claw up anything (we had issues for a while with the older cat ) and is super chill and pleasant. She sleeps on the top bunk with my 6 year old son most nights. I love them long time.
Forgot if anyone asked or not. Is this something new the cat does? Just asking as it might be a medical issue and this is his way of showing symptoms.
Do you mean the barfing or the snuggling?

The barfing is new. The snuggling is omnipresent.

Forgot if anyone asked or not. Is this something new the cat does? Just asking as it might be a medical issue and this is his way of showing symptoms.
Do you mean the barfing or the snuggling?The barfing is new. The snuggling is omnipresent.
The barfing may be a sign of something serious. Have you had the kitteh checked out by the vet since it started? I wish we would have caught our cats symptoms sooner (puking after eating was one of them) because he turned out to be diabetic. He lived 5 years with it but it wasn't great because it was uncontrolled and the 2 shots a day of insulin helped but his was bad.It's hard to diagnose without actually seeing the patient and all symptoms but going to the vet is the best place to start.
The vet ran tests and everything thankfully came

back ok. He lazily just said hair balls

One of our cats is a weirdo and wants to be as close as he can to the dot action. If we don't close the door, the other will wait outside our room patiently while this one will be all up in our ####. We started calling him The Purrvert.

Today is day 17 of the new all natural diet – mainly wet food with dry food supplement (both by Wellness) – and the cats are loving it. They seem happier and healthier. The cat with the frequent vomiting issues has not thrown up since we switched her diet (crossing fingers). Just want to thank everyone for their input and advice. My cat food bill has skyrocketed but not having to clean up cat vomit all over the place is definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread