What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CB Richard Sherman (1 Viewer)

Richard Sherman silences contract critics on Twitter after All-Pro selection

Maybe it's because I'm a child of the '70s, a time when the two biggest sports stars were Muhammad Ali and Reggie Jackson, but I've always had a soft spot for guys who talk a big game and then back it up. I'm glad that Sherman bet on himself and won. It's also pretty incredible that he came back from an Achilles tear and regained elite CB1 status.

I must say, leaving aside the fact that it worked out for him, I don't really get the criticisms of him for negotiating his own contract. Even if he had left money on the table, why is that the only criterion that matters? If you spent all day preparing a gourmet dinner, would it make sense for someone to tell you that it would have tasted even better if a professional chef made it, as if the only value in a meal comes from flavor maximization? In Sherman's case, he seems to have been motivated by a desire to educate himself on contract negotiations, and also to take control of his own future. Even if this turns out to be his last NFL contract (and it probably won't be), he will have plenty of future negotiations after his career is over, and he may well benefit from the lessons he learned during this experience.

There's also the fact that Sherman had already gotten one big veteran contract, and seeing as how he doesn't seem the type to blow all his money on get-rich-quick schemes and child support, he is most likely set for life. Maybe he just wanted the satisfaction of doing this himself, even if it cost him some money at the margins.

Does this mean every player should follow his lead? Of course not, no more than every driver should try to repair their own car engine. But for some people, it might work.

Anyway, good for him!

I liked his matter of fact statement: (paraphrasing) 

- this was a 6-seed coming on the road to a 1-seed and many of the national sportswriters weren’t giving the Niners a chance. Well ok.  :shrug:

Spot on. 

Did anyone catch Sherman's presser? He hasn't lost belief in himself.
Made a smart bet on himself with that contract. That’s for sure. 

everyone hates Sherman until he’s on your team. One of the things I’ll never forgive Harbaugh for is passing on him in the draft. 

- this was a 6-seed coming on the road to a 1-seed and many of the national sportswriters weren’t giving the Niners a chance. Well ok.  :shrug:

Spot on. 
Whoever said that? They were touchdown favorites. Most people were aware, but if there was to be an upset this weekend, they were going MN, not TN.

Made a smart bet on himself with that contract. That’s for sure. 

everyone hates Sherman until he’s on your team. One of the things I’ll never forgive Harbaugh for is passing on him in the draft. 
I'm a huge fan. I love mouthy DBs that take away a side of the field and tackle. Nothing beats a rare combination of size, speed, and smarts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I love the guy, but the writer needs to stop beating around the bush and say it: RIchard Sherman is thin-skinned. Nobody hates his game. An Achilles tendon is brutal to come back from, especially at those skill positions. He's very lucky to have beaten the odds, actually. The 49ers must really think that accelerated recoveries are the norm with he and Sanders loping around out there.   

Spot on. 
Lol.  Did any sportswriter actually state the 49ers didn't have a chance?

Whoever said that? They were touchdown favorites. Most people were aware, but if there was to be an upset this weekend, they were going MN, not TN.
Quite a few national sports people called in to our local radio stations, and a lot of them were talking about Minnesota winning. By Friday, Word was that much of the money in Vegas had shifted to the Vikings +7.  Apparently people were a little too impressed by Minnesota beating the Saints. I think the real Takeaway was that the Saints just weren’t as good at the end of the year.

Spot on. 

Quite a few national sports people called in to our local radio stations, and a lot of them were talking about Minnesota winning. By Friday, Word was that much of the money in Vegas had shifted to the Vikings +7.  Apparently people were a little too impressed by Minnesota beating the Saints. I think the real Takeaway was that the Saints just weren’t as good at the end of the year.
These 2 posts are very different.

Were’nt giving the 9ers a chance lol

These 2 posts are very different.

Were’nt giving the 9ers a chance lol
Actually they’re not. Read them again, more carefully, you’ll discover they’re quite similar. 

Sherman said the 1st one in the post game. That many national sports guys were questioning whether the Niners could win. Sherman clearly wasn’t, and moreover was seemingly offended by the notion that a 6-seed was going to come in & beat them.

i heard on 95.7 the game at least 3 sports guys from various places saying the money was shifting to the Vikes, and that after they beat the Saints, they thought the Vikings would win. 

the second thing (what I heard on the radio) actually validates the 1st thing (what Sherman said he was hearing) 

I know, you’re a cowboys fan, so I’ll give you a pass. ;)  

Actually they’re not. Read them again, more carefully, you’ll discover they’re quite similar. 

Sherman said the 1st one in the post game. That many national sports guys were questioning whether the Niners could win. Sherman clearly wasn’t, and moreover was seemingly offended by the notion that a 6-seed was going to come in & beat them.

i heard on 95.7 the game at least 3 sports guys from various places saying the money was shifting to the Vikes, and that after they beat the Saints, they thought the Vikings would win. 

the second thing (what I heard on the radio) actually validates the 1st thing (what Sherman said he was hearing) 

I know, you’re a cowboys fan, so I’ll give you a pass. ;)  
Meh...Sherman is ALWAYS offended about something 

Meh...Sherman is ALWAYS offended about something 
Baseball fans like me always like a player who is a redass. Sherman has an edge to him. It’s part of what makes him great. I’m one of the few 49ers fans who actually liked him when he was in Seattle. I hated him for how good he was and that  Harbaugh passed on him in the draft, but I liked him as a person and a player. 

He’s a smart dude & knows how to be motivated and motivate those around him.

Baseball fans like me always like a player who is a redass. Sherman has an edge to him. It’s part of what makes him great. I’m one of the few 49ers fans who actually liked him when he was in Seattle. I hated him for how good he was and that  Harbaugh passed on him in the draft, but I liked him as a person and a player. 

He’s a smart dude & knows how to be motivated and motivate those around him.
Given the relationship the two of them had at Stanford, I'm not at all surprised that he didn't draft him:

Sherman told NBC Sports Bay Area in October the “bad blood” was largely created by Harbaugh’s reaction to Sherman’s decision to have season-ending knee surgery in 2008.

Sherman said Harbaugh accused him of quitting on the team, and it was this interaction that led Sherman to switch from wide receiver to cornerback. In addition, Sherman believes Harbaugh did not help him in the 2011 pre-draft process. The Seahawks took Sherman in the fifth round.
I've read elsewhere that, at Stanford, Harbaugh focused exclusively on the offense and let his DC run the other side of the ball. So Sherman switched to DB to get away from him. Kind of an amazing Sliding Doors moment in NFL history. In fact, given Sherman's play at the end of the 2013 NFC Championship Game, you could argue that feud eventually ended up costing Harbaugh a Super Bowl ring.

Given the relationship the two of them had at Stanford, I'm not at all surprised that he didn't draft him:

I've read elsewhere that, at Stanford, Harbaugh focused exclusively on the offense and let his DC run the other side of the ball. So Sherman switched to DB to get away from him. Kind of an amazing Sliding Doors moment in NFL history. In fact, given Sherman's play at the end of the 2013 NFC Championship Game, you could argue that feud eventually ended up costing Harbaugh a Super Bowl ring.
That’s amazing - could also argue it made Sherman into a HOF-er. Who knows what he’d have been had he stayed on offense. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
That’s amazing - could also argue it made Sherman into a HOF-er. Who knows what he’d have been had he stayed on offense. 
Yeah, I never really followed Stanford football but sounds like he was a pretty good WR who was poised to break out his senior season. Not hard to imagine he would have been as successful there as he's been at CB.

Other Sherman story from Stanford I would love to learn more about: After they beat Washington in the 2012 playoffs, Sherman said something postgame to RG3 like, "I didnt want to tell nobody what I told you, but I didn't want you going down that path." Apparently that was a reference to the fact that when Harbaugh was recruiting RG3 to Stanford, he stayed with Sherman on his visit. Sherman told him not to listen to Harbaugh's promises to employ some sort of two-QB system with RG3 and Luck. Kind of amazing when one of your top recruits is staying with a guy who's telling him not to come. Big fail on the part of Harbaugh's staff.

Yeah, pretty much...or he always acts like he's offended about something. I think most of what he says/does is part of the character he plays to elevate his motivation. Whatever works, I suppose. Some people enjoy it. I'm not one of them, though. 
Honestly, he'd be great in pro wrestling

My whole thing with Sherman is that he's just always squwakin......I like lunch bucket dudes.  We all want different things from sports......I just don't want to see Sherman's mug squwakin away in the post game.  Just not a fan.
I wouldn’t classify what he does as “squawking”… He’s actually pretty well spoken in interviews and post-game.

What were you thoughts on him when the legion of boom was rolling your niners year in and year out ?
I already posted them above. He’s a guy that everyone hates until he’s on your team.

sort of like Deion sanders clowning the Cowboys back in the day… Cowboys fans hated him more than anyone on the 49ers. Then he went to Dallas and they loved him.

I wouldn’t classify what he does as “squawking”… He’s actually pretty well spoken in interviews and post-game.
That's the part that makes me admire him: Whether you love him or hate him, he's not just popping off. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Does anyone else remember the story about Michael Jordan supposedly talking before a game against a young up-and-comer (LaPhonso Ellis, maybe?) who had said disparaging things about him, and promising he was going to go out and make the kid pay? After the game reporters asked Ellis about it, and he had no idea what Jordan was talking about. Some guys just need to come up with ways to keep themselves motivated. With Jordan, it was reminding any challengers, real or imagined, that he was still the GOAT (see also Clyde Drexler in 1993 Finals). With Sherman, it's perceived disrespect and proving the doubters wrong.

Actually, thinking back to our counterfactual earlier regarding Sherman staying at WR, if it had led to him being a higher draft pick, I wonder if he would have had a less successful career because he would have had less motivation. Then again, he probably would have come up with some other slight to obsess over.

What were you thoughts on him when the legion of boom was rolling your niners year in and year out ?
I didn't like him then and I still don't really care for him.  I will say he seems to be a bit more toned down these days, which (coupled with winning and him being great on the field and in the locker room) makes rooting for him tolerable.  

49ers CB Richard Sherman (calf) will be out until late November. 

The timeline on Sherman's injury has shifted more than Donald Trump's odds on election night. He's now expected back for the team's November 29 game against the Rams. A rash of injuries has led the 49ers to start undrafted free agents at times this season. Their secondary has been ripped by opponents accordingly. 

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter 

Nov 13, 2020, 4:28 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports multiple teams, including the Bucs, have reached out to Richard Sherman.

Pelissero also noted that both of Sherman's former teams, the Seahawks and 49ers, have been keeping tabs on the veteran corner early in the year. The 49ers lost Jason Verrett to a torn ACL and Sherman most recently played in San Francisco, so a reunion there would make some sense. Tampa Bay is expected to be without cornerback Sean Murphy-Bunting for the foreseeable future because of a dislocated elbow. Sherman would fill a newly-found need for them and get to chase another Super Bowl if he signs in Tampa Bay. It was reported Sherman couldn't find a home in free agency because he was asking for too much money. As teams begin to need quality cornerback play more desperately, the demand for Sherman's services should grow. If he lowers his asking price slightly, Sherman should be able to sign a contract before the regular season ends. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

, San Francisco 49ers

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 19, 2021, 9:19 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread