What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chad Johnson Pats His Attorney's Behind -- Judge Not Amused (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
Always enjoyed him and he was a great player, but man is this just stupid...

A plea deal that called for no jail time fell apart Monday. Broward Judge Kathleen McHugh rejected it after Johnson playfully slapped his attorney on the behind in court. McHugh says Johnson wasn't taking things seriously enough, even after he apologized. McHugh also extended Johnson's probation for three months.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I am all for doing what you please without any other human telling you what to do, everything has repercussions. While I would not do this childish act, I find it hard to believe that gets him jail time, but slapping a woman around didn't. The Judicial system is a joke, I'm sure most agree, if not now... you will agree in time once you have jury duty or have to fight a ticket.

While it is a dumb and inappropriate thing to do in a court of law, it is also a ridiculous punishment the judge doled out. I would guess 40+% of the country does not know how to act in the court of law.

While it is a dumb and inappropriate thing to do in a court of law, it is also a ridiculous punishment the judge doled out. I would guess 40+% of the country does not know how to act in the court of law.
Too bad. Ignorance is not an excuse. He's probably lucky she didn't give him more than 30 days, especially since he had already violated his probation.

Sure, but I'm guessing that 99.999% of the country understands that smacking someone on the ### is an inappropriate thing to do in a courtroom. If you can't make that distinction then you probably need mental help. If your mental health isn't an issue there is really only one other possibility: you're not taking this seriously. That's the judge's decision here clearly, although I might look at the mental health one more time in this case...

It is going to be a real sad story when he can't afford a pot to piss in.....which is probably just a few years away. He clearly just doesn't get it....and maybe that is due to some mental illness.

Some of the comments on this thread are idiotic. Hey, pat your coworker on the butt at work while you're in a meeting. Let's see if you get fired.

I like Chad but he deserves to go to jail on being an idiot.

Too bad. Ignorance is not an excuse. He's probably lucky she didn't give him more than 30 days, especially since he had already violated his probation.
The phrase you are looking for here is, " ignorance of the law is not an excuse" There is no law regarding what happened above. It wasn't very bright. That's all. And a lot worse things have happened in court rooms that didn't really result in jail time.I mean, jail time? For that? Is it really so hard to use common sense here? For Chad as well as the judge, I mean....

He didn't get jail time for the ### pat; he got it for the crime of hitting his wife and violating his probation. He was being let off easy until he showed the judge that he wasn't taking it seriously, so she gave him 30 days to teach him a lesson. Hopefully, he will learn it.

The phrase you are looking for here is, " ignorance of the law is not an excuse"There is no law regarding what happened above. It wasn't very bright. That's all. And a lot worse things have happened in court rooms that didn't really result in jail time.I mean, jail time? For that? Is it really so hard to use common sense here? For Chad as well as the judge, I mean....
Yeah, this was kind of my point. Totally inappropriate, but odd that it would result in jail time. What if he brought a Pepsi into the court room and slurped it loudly? Should that be grounds for jail time? Neither is illegal (though stupid to do in that situation). Either way, lesson learned. I just hope that he does not take up a bed that could be used for someone a little more deserving, is all.

He didn't get jail time for the ### pat; he got it for the crime of hitting his wife and violating his probation. He was being let off easy until he showed the judge that he wasn't taking it seriously, so she gave him 30 days to teach him a lesson. Hopefully, he will learn it.
Best post in the thread. All that needs to be said.

Just to jump in quickly to clarify what seems to be confusion on why he received 30 days. The state and defense had agreed to a plea bargain which the judge must approve. Chad slapped his attorney prior to the terms being accepted by the judge. Therefore without a plea and Chad admitting he violated his probation, she then sentenced him to what is likely the minimum sentence in that state for violating his probation. Had he not acted foolishly the terms would have been accepted as the Judge was explaining the details of the plea bargain and extended his probation. Once again without a plea the minimum sentence is likely 30 days.

And for the record, I can't stand this clown. But after seeing the video, her reaction is absurd.

Hearing the story on the radio, I pictured a mammoth butt slap followed by grinning for the cameras or something. This was nothing.

It is going to be a real sad story when he can't afford a pot to piss in.....which is probably just a few years away. He clearly just doesn't get it....and maybe that is due to some mental illness.
Did you see Marvin Lewis try to educate Chad about investing on Hard Knocks? It was like watching a pet owner trying to housebreak a puppy.

Thanks for the video - got it. Attorney = male. Judge overreacts. Whatevs. Was it dumb? Yep. Does the judge overreact, knowing she's in a high profile case and can look like a bad###? Yep.

Look, I am all for not taking things too lightly - but there are people (usually in the judicial and executive branch of local govt.) who take themselves a little too seriously.

Having respect for the court of law would be a good start.

man, I get that there should be respect for the court of law, but the mood seemed light from that video. The formality of accepting the plea was seemingly over and she was having a candid convo with him, saying that he should be happy with his lawyer for doing a good job. honestly, I didn't see that as being 'disrespectful' at all.

After seeing the video, it seems like the reaction of the court is what irked the judge. Had everyone not laughed, it would have been no big deal. Still stupid for Johnson to have done it, but it definitely looks like an overreaction by the judge, now that I've seen it.

After seeing the video, it seems like the reaction of the court is what irked the judge. Had everyone not laughed, it would have been no big deal. Still stupid for Johnson to have done it, but it definitely looks like an overreaction by the judge, now that I've seen it.
Feel exactly the same way. Huge overreaction by the judge unless Ocho had been giving her attitude all along.I assumed it was a female attorney too -- and that what upset the judge was that a guy in court of domestic violence was toucing a woman inappropriately. But this? Sheesh.

Butt slaps in the NFL are a sign of encouragement or to say "well done." I'm no Chad fan, but it seems to me this was a second-nature reaction on his part, not meant to be funny, and he would only do it with a male attorney (just like on a football field).

The judge doesn't get the "football" mentality and thought he was doing it as some sort of joke, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case here. Judge overreacted.

While I understand why the judge was mad, I do not think putting a man behind bars is an appropriate response. Why do we have to pay for Johnsons food now because she is on the rag?

Not to defend Ocho, because you still have to be a gigantic loser to get jail time even after you were about to get away with breaking the law while on probation. You know, which you got for slapping your wife around, which you took an oath to love honor and cherish.

Ocho deserves to be behind bars, but not for this. Funny how it works itself out though.

Feel exactly the same way. Huge overreaction by the judge unless Ocho had been giving her attitude all along.I assumed it was a female attorney too -- and that what upset the judge was that a guy in court of domestic violence was toucing a woman inappropriately. But this? Sheesh.
Attorney's a dude.

This.

I'm usually of the belief there's lots of overreaction but I'm not seeing it here. She didn't rant and rave. She didn't dole out extra punishment. She simply didn't give him the plea bargain he was looking for.

I've always liked Chad and didn't mind most of his antics. But there's a certain type of behavior you exhibit in a courtroom and he didn't. He, along with other athletes, get all kinds of allowances when it comes to the law that most of us don't and this time it didn't go his way. Getting a courtroom to laugh at you just isn't smart, even if just a little innocent butt tap. She could have made it worse (contempt charges), gone on some crazy tirade, but she didn't.

I'm not saying I'm glad he got what he did, but I also don't think it's a shame or some overreaction either. Hopefully next time, if/when there is one, he might learn to show a little restraint in a courtroom.

This.

I'm usually of the belief there's lots of overreaction but I'm not seeing it here. She didn't rant and rave. She didn't dole out extra punishment. She simply didn't give him the plea bargain he was looking for.

I've always liked Chad and didn't mind most of his antics. But there's a certain type of behavior you exhibit in a courtroom and he didn't. He, along with other athletes, get all kinds of allowances when it comes to the law that most of us don't and this time it didn't go his way. Getting a courtroom to laugh at you just isn't smart, even if just a little innocent butt tap. She could have made it worse (contempt charges), gone on some crazy tirade, but she didn't.

I'm not saying I'm glad he got what he did, but I also don't think it's a shame or some overreaction either. Hopefully next time, if/when there is one, he might learn to show a little restraint in a courtroom.
The Judge can go on a crazy tirade??? I would expect better restraint from a court Judge.

This.

The Judge can go on a crazy tirade??? I would expect better restraint from a court Judge.
Judge Judy down?

No, but seriously, I'm talking about a serious chastising going off on some soapbox. Her retort was relatively quick.

The judge was clearly in the right here and if there was any doubt, that was the final pile of dirt on his NFL career.

Cut from Patriots--> cut from Dolphins--> beat wife of 41 days--> clowning in court.

BTW, very contrite tweet following his appearance in court. :bye:

This.

She comes off as whiny and arrogant. She's not so much pissed at the slap as she is at the audience laughing. She lost control of the courtroom to him and didn't like it. Looking at his face, he wasn't smiling when he did it and looked surprised that the audience laughed.

I glad he received the sentence he did but he should have received it for screwing up his probation, not for causing the audience in the courtroom to laugh. The judged should have ignored the laughter, swallowed her pride, and just sentenced him.

This. I'm usually of the belief there's lots of overreaction but I'm not seeing it here. She didn't rant and rave. She didn't dole out extra punishment. She simply didn't give him the plea bargain he was looking for. I've always liked Chad and didn't mind most of his antics. But there's a certain type of behavior you exhibit in a courtroom and he didn't. He, along with other athletes, get all kinds of allowances when it comes to the law that most of us don't and this time it didn't go his way. Getting a courtroom to laugh at you just isn't smart, even if just a little innocent butt tap. She could have made it worse (contempt charges), gone on some crazy tirade, but she didn't. I'm not saying I'm glad he got what he did, but I also don't think it's a shame or some overreaction either. Hopefully next time, if/when there is one, he might learn to show a little restraint in a courtroom.
She comes off as whiny and arrogant. She's not so much pissed at the slap as she is at the audience laughing. She lost control of the courtroom to him and didn't like it. Looking at his face, he wasn't smiling when he did it and looked surprised that the audience laughed. I glad he received the sentence he did but he should have received it for screwing up his probation, not for causing the audience in the courtroom to laugh. The judged should have ignored the laughter, swallowed her pride, and just sentenced him.
I agree with this. The judge passed an acceptable and warranted punishment. Chad made a mistake in court. She looked like a jealous, controlling, egotist by the way she reacted to the audience laughing. Both parties look stupid here. Chad for not knowing how to behave in court and the judge for letting her emotions show through in her reaction.

So head butting a woman warrants probation. Violating the terms of said probation warrants a plea deal and revised probation. Butt-slapping your attorney after the judge, in a moment of candor, makes a point to say that you should be appreciative of him....warrants jail time.

got it.

So head butting a woman warrants probation. Violating the terms of said probation warrants a plea deal and revised probation. Butt-slapping your attorney after the judge, in a moment of candor, makes a point to say that you should be appreciative of him....warrants jail time.

got it.
This.

Should have been no plea bargain to begin with -> no butt slap (in court at least)

He'll be out in a couple days after she reconsiders. No way he serves the 30. No biggie.

Always enjoyed him and he was a great player, but man is this just stupid...

A plea deal that called for no jail time fell apart Monday. Broward Judge Kathleen McHugh rejected it after Johnson playfully slapped his attorney on the behind in court. McHugh says Johnson wasn't taking things seriously enough, even after he apologized. McHugh also extended Johnson's probation for three months.
Brady: :clyde:

Ghost Rider said:
this exactly.. if you see the video (they showed it on tmz) after the judge asks him of his lawyers performance.. he hesitates a couple seconds then decides to do the pat.. so he pondered for a minute and figured it'd be funny and now i think its funny he will be in jail for 30 days

Just. Wow.

COCDFJ didn't get jailed for a butt slap. He tuned up his wife at the time, and got off with probation for it. Then he violated that probation and got a second break in that instead of going to jail for both commiting physical violence on the woman and then failing to comply with the assigned probation, he got a huge break and only got the probation extended a whole 3 months.

How does he reward the judge for agreeing to that leniency? By committing an act of self aggrandizement and abject stupidity before the judge, no even before the judge accepted the agreement no less. The judge responded appropriately to his wanton display of yet more incredibly poor judgment and sent him a message that he had committed more cumulative stupidity than the court would tolerate and that there were consequences attached.

COCDFJ earned every day in jail all by himself despite getting multiple breaks in this from the system. He clearly couldn't control himself and the judge simply responded to that obvious lack of control. Good riddance.

dickey moe said:
kutta said:
Well i think I found the problem. She's a Tea Partier
Yeah, the whole "racist Tea Party angle." You're tired.
Where did I ever use the word "racist?" What is wrong with you?
He saw an incredibly dumb staement and probably thought that you were capable of more incredibly dumb thoughts extending from that. Pretty reasonable reaction, to be honest.

Just. Wow.COCDFJ didn't get jailed for a butt slap. He tuned up his wife at the time, and got off with probation for it. Then he violated that probation and got a second break in that instead of going to jail for both commiting physical violence on the woman and then failing to comply with the assigned probation, he got a huge break and only got the probation extended a whole 3 months.How does he reward the judge for agreeing to that leniency? By committing an act of self aggrandizement and abject stupidity before the judge, no even before the judge accepted the agreement no less. The judge responded appropriately to his wanton display of yet more incredibly poor judgment and sent him a message that he had committed more cumulative stupidity than the court would tolerate and that there were consequences attached.COCDFJ earned every day in jail all by himself despite getting multiple breaks in this from the system. He clearly couldn't control himself and the judge simply responded to that obvious lack of control. Good riddance.
The judge is supposed to uphold the law, not "send a message" because she is upset that someone upstaged her.

Users who are viewing this thread