What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlie Casserly on ESPN Radio (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
As I was heading home tonight Charlie Casserly was being interviewed by Michael Kay on 1050 ESPN Radio in NY. Thought some would like to hear what he had to say [recognizing of course that this is primetime for rhetoric and misdirection]...

He said Jay Cutler had a great Combine and Senior Bowl, and that he's a "very good football player"
When asked about Cutler vis-a-vis Matt Leinart, Casserly cut Kay off and said that while Cutler is a solid pro prospect, he's not in the "same league" as Matt Leinart
Kay seemed surprised by that and asked him if Leinart's arm strength worried him whereas Cutler has a strong arm...Casserly said that Leinart has an underrated arm and can absolutely make every throw in the NFL, and again reiterated that for as good as Cutler appears, Leinart is in a class by himself and told people to look at Leinart's game tape at USC
When asked about Vince Young and pressure to take him given the local ties, he basically brushed it off and said that while Vince has done great things, he'll do what's best for the franchise
He gushed about Reggie Bush and said that while we don't know if Bush can be more than an "18 touch per game" back, he doesn't need to be to make a huge difference. He made the point of how Randy Moss touches the ball 8 to 10 times a game and is an absolute difference maker and Bush has that kind of ability.
No discussion of Brick that I discerned [i jumped in partway through the interview though]
Casserly said that the decision to pick up Carr's option doesn't remove the chance they'll draft a QB and threw out the Cincy situation when the Bengals had Kitna and drafted Palmer
Casserly also admitted that they haven't ruled out trading the 1st pick and said it's a much different climate than last year when no one wanted to move up that high. He said he's already had three inquiries which is rare for FebruaryI found the Cutler comments most telling...either Casserly wants to trade down and take Cutler or he honestly thinks Leinart is a special, special player.

Casserly said that the decision to pick up Carr's option doesn't remove the chance they'll draft a QB and threw out the Cincy situation when the Bengals had Kitna and drafted Palmer
Casserly also admitted that they haven't ruled out trading the 1st pick and said it's a much different climate than last year when no one wanted to move up that high. He said he's already had three inquiries which is rare for February
yeah that worked out well with 3rd round pick Ragone that never sniffs the field. Do it again
I found the Cutler comments most telling...either Casserly wants to trade down and take Cutler or he honestly thinks Leinart is a special, special player.
Awesome maneuvering, now the #2 and #3 teams will have to consider trading. I don't believe it but, perfect move by him.

He gushed about Reggie Bush and said that while we don't know if Bush can be more than an "18 touch per game" back, he doesn't need to be to make a huge difference. He made the point of how Randy Moss touches the ball 8 to 10 times a game and is an absolute difference maker and Bush has that kind of ability.
Thanks Jason. Good stuff. Did they mention Heath Shuler to Casserly? I think he sort of throws up a little at the mention of his name.On to the comment about Reggie Bush and touches and Moss - That's a gigantic reach. Even for this time of year when all these guys are lying through their teeth. WR touches and RB touches (even for a guy that catches the ball well) are a long ways apart.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
On to the comment about Reggie Bush and touches and Moss - That's a gigantic reach. Even for this time of year when all these guys are lying through their teeth. WR touches and RB touches (even for a guy that catches the ball well) are a long ways apart.

J
AbsolutelyShow him some Chris Perry tapes

Thanks Jason. Good stuff. Did they mention Heath Shuler to Casserly? I think he sort of throws up a little at the mention of his name.On to the comment about Reggie Bush and touches and Moss - That's a gigantic reach. Even for this time of year when all these guys are lying through their teeth. WR touches and RB touches (even for a guy that catches the ball well) are a long ways apart.

J
the only people i imagine that don't throw up at the mention of his name are mrs. shuler and johnny majors.

J
Hey Joe,I must have missed the Heath Shuler discussion. :)

Agreed on the Bush comments being a reach, too. Ultimately you know he's going to trade this pick for a lower top 10 selection and draft Cutler...he was too quick to dismiss Cutler as a class below Leinart for it not to be a complete smokescreen. :D

J
Considering Bush will get as much time as a returner and a reciever as he will a RB, I think its a fair comparison.Bush isnt a "RB", hes a "weapon"

J
Considering Bush will get as much time as a returner and a reciever as he will a RB, I think its a fair comparison.Bush isnt a "RB", hes a "weapon"
sounds like you just described Dante Hall

Ultimately you know he's going to trade this pick for a lower top 10 selection and draft Cutler...he was too quick to dismiss Cutler as a class below Leinart for it not to be a complete smokescreen. :D
:goodposting: I agree Jason. This time of year is fascinating to watch these guys maneuver.

I like this play though. I'd take Cutler and the picks all day long I think.

J

J
:rolleyes: Dante Hall is a gifted returner with no natural position [nor did he have one in college]. He's proven time and again that he's not an NFL caliber WR.

The "only" question with Bush is whether he can be electrifying 20+ times a game, or 15-18.

J
Hi Diesel,I have to disagree there on the touches. Moss averages 16 yards per "touch" for receptions. He averages 6.9 yards per "touch" on rushing. That works out to something like 15.6 yards per touch.

What do you think Bush will average per touch this year?

J

I found the Cutler comments most telling...either Casserly wants to trade down and take Cutler or he honestly thinks Leinart is a special, special player.
Could be trying to send a message to the teams that fall in love with Leinart that Houston would seriously consider taking him and if you want 100% assurance that your team can get him, you'll have to trade with Houston and take him #1 overall to do so. I would call his bluff if I was pro-Leinart GM though.

Ultimately you know he's going to trade this pick for a lower top 10 selection and draft Cutler...he was too quick to dismiss Cutler as a class below Leinart for it not to be a complete smokescreen. :D
:goodposting: I agree Jason. This time of year is fascinating to watch these guys maneuver.

J
Absolutely, all I have heard from other scouts and such is how Cutler is moving up the charts and is blowing people away with his work ethic and attitude. :thumbup:

J
Absolutely, all I have heard from other scouts and such is how Cutler is moving up the charts and is blowing people away with his work ethic and attitude. :thumbup:
Let's be clear...moving up the charts is in no way, shape or form equal to "being perceived on Matt Leinart's level."

I am not sure how much smokescreen there is here.

First of all, Casserly can re-iterate any assessment that most GMs and scouts already believe. So if most GMs believe Lienert is in a different league than Cutler, he shoud just say so.

Next, Casserly must do what he can to drum up interest for teams to trade up. That means pimping the top picks, which are Bush and Leinert. It looks like Young is no longer a consideration for the top pick by most teams.

J
As a returner, Bush is far from being a Dante Hall...or about a hundred other college guys who were ahead of him in the rankings this year.

Just following up...John Clayton was on Mike & Mike and claims that Cutler is not in the running for a top spot and almost certainly won't be taken ahead of Matt Leinart; and he echoed that there's a lot of "misinformation" out there right now. Who knows :shrug:

Just following up...John Clayton was on Mike & Mike and claims that Cutler is not in the running for a top spot and almost certainly won't be taken ahead of Matt Leinart; and he echoed that there's a lot of "misinformation" out there right now. Who knows :shrug:
I heard that. He has no reason to smokescreen and he made it clear while Cutler is good, he's not in the same class as Leinart or Young. He said Cutler's combine was "good" but that he lacked the WOW factor.

It's always a good time trying to figure out what the hell all the GM's are saying this time of year. Always so much smoke and mirrors.

I heard that. He has no reason to smokescreen and he made it clear while Cutler is good, he's not in the same class as Leinart or Young. He said Cutler's combine was "good" but that he lacked the WOW factor.
Hi B,I sort of disagree. The NFL draft is not a lot different than your FF draft in that you want to get "value". You will never get value at #1 as the best case scenario is for the guy to be a star. He's got nothing but downside.

But hypothetically speaking, if Casserly truly thought Cutler was 95% of Leinart or Bush, he's got a real motivation to grab him plus a pick vs just Leinart or Bush.

Don't rule out egos. All these guys think they can spot something the other guys are missing.

If he's thinking Cutler can be the guy, he absolutely is going to downplay Cutler and reinforce the conventional wisdom line that Leinart is clearly the man. He might think Cutler is neck and neck but his job now becomes building up Leinart and Bush in order to pump up their value to a trade partner.

I'm with Jason, the idea that he's downplaying Cutler and hyping Leinart has me leaning toward thinking he's got his eye on Cutler. I don't believe much of what these guys say but I positively don't believe anything these guys say in February and March.

J

J
Hi Diesel,I have to disagree there on the touches. Moss averages 16 yards per "touch" for receptions. He averages 6.9 yards per "touch" on rushing. That works out to something like 15.6 yards per touch.

J
I have to agree with Diesel here, assuming of course Bush gets even close to living up to his hype. While he wont average even half of 15.6 that moss had, he will get more than double the touches, and 3+ times the touches in the redzone. I look for AT LEAST Brian Westbrook numbers, with the potential for more pending how good he really is.Edited to add, i disagree that Bush will be used much as a returner, if at all.

I also didn't think he cut down Cutler at all. In fact, he seemed to go out of his way to compliment him. It's not exactly earth shattering news IMO that Leinart is better than Cutler. Few scouts say otherwise.

Hi B,I sort of disagree. The NFL draft is not a lot different than your FF draft in that you want to get "value". You will never get value at #1 as the best case scenario is for the guy to be a star. He's got nothing but downside.

But hypothetically speaking, if Casserly truly thought Cutler was 95% of Leinart or Bush, he's got a real motivation to grab him plus a pick vs just Leinart or Bush.

Don't rule out egos. All these guys think they can spot something the other guys are missing.

If he's thinking Cutler can be the guy, he absolutely is going to downplay Cutler and reinforce the conventional wisdom line that Leinart is clearly the man. He might think Cutler is neck and neck but his job now becomes building up Leinart and Bush in order to pump up their value to a trade partner.

I'm with Jason, the idea that he's downplaying Cutler and hyping Leinart has me leaning toward thinking he's got his eye on Cutler. I don't believe much of what these guys say but I positively don't believe anything these guys say in February and March.

J
I agree completely! I was saying that John Clayton had no reason to smoke screen.Now, it is possible that he's been fooled by other people's smoke screens.

J
Unless of cours he is downplaying Cutler so everyone will think he is leaning toward Cutler, but is in fact really considering Linehart......hmmmm......a double triple fake of what they really want.....

J
I agree completely! I was saying that John Clayton had no reason to smoke screen.Now, it is possible that he's been fooled by other people's smoke screens.
Sorry B, My bad. I thought you were talking about Casserly there.

I'm with you.

J

My first take after reading it is what a few others have said... not that Casserly is interested in Cutler, but that he's trying to inflate Leinart's stock so teams interested in him may feel they have to trade up to get him.

I just don't see the Texan trading down and taking Cutler. I believe they really do feel David Carr is going to work out (evidenced by them exercising his 3 year option when they could have exercised the 2 year instead). If they can add a playmaker like Bush I think they will, otherwise I think they'll trade down and fill other holes on the line and/or on defense.

J
I don't see Bush touching the ball for returns. Wasn't the only Texans pro bowler a rookie PR? :unsure:

just a theory.

My first take after reading it is what a few others have said... not that Casserly is interested in Cutler, but that he's trying to inflate Leinart's stock so teams interested in him may feel they have to trade up to get him.

I just don't see the Texan trading down and taking Cutler. I believe they really do feel David Carr is going to work out (evidenced by them exercising his 3 year option when they could have exercised the 2 year instead). If they can add a playmaker like Bush I think they will, otherwise I think they'll trade down and fill other holes on the line and/or on defense.
I'm with GregR on this one, the more I think about it. I believe Casserly honestly sees Cutler as being a CLEAR notch below Leinart & Bush, and Casserly's job is to creat juice and leverage for his 1st pick. He knows that very few scouts are going to glom onto praise of Cutler because the reality is no team is going to give up a ton to move up to the 1st pick and pick Cutler; he simply doesn't warrant that move. So instead Casserly kills two birds with one stone. He praises the two guys he's very likely to select if he stays at 1; and he also sets up their relative value [Leinart in particular] in order to create more demand for the top spot.

I don't see Bush touching the ball for returns. Wasn't the only Texans pro bowler a rookie PR?

:unsure:

just a theory.
No, he (Jerome Mathis) is a kick returner. He excels at kick returns because he is incredibly fast (sub 4.3 at the combine IIRC?). But he's not elusive, he just outruns people to the corner and makes the turn, or gets through a hole and then he's gone. He was pedestrian on punt returns where you don't have as much time to get up to full speed, and where you have to make more moves to make guys miss.At present, Phillip Buchanon is the Texans punt returner. When Buchanon was out with injury, Mathis filled in for him and didn't do anything special. I could easily see Bush replacing Buchanon there, though Buchanon is pretty good himself.

Not to mention if you put both Bush and Mathis back at kick returner, it's a lot harder to kick away from Mathis, as some teams tried to do.

I don't see Bush touching the ball for returns.  Wasn't the only Texans pro bowler a rookie PR?

just a theory.
No, he (Jerome Mathis) is a kick returner. He excels at kick returns because he is incredibly fast (sub 4.3 at the combine IIRC?). But he's not elusive, he just outruns people to the corner and makes the turn, or gets through a hole and then he's gone. He was pedestrian on punt returns where you don't have as much time to get up to full speed, and where you have to make more moves to make guys miss.At present, Phillip Buchanon is the Texans punt returner. When Buchanon was out with injury, Mathis filled in for him and didn't do anything special. I could easily see Bush replacing Buchanon there, though Buchanon is pretty good himself.

Not to mention if you put both Bush and Mathis back at kick returner, it's a lot harder to kick away from Mathis, as some teams tried to do.
Gotcha. Those games began to all bleed together last season. It seemed to me that Mathis was back there a good bit, but I guess it was because so many teams scored on the Texans.

I don't see Bush touching the ball for returns.  Wasn't the only Texans pro bowler a rookie PR?

just a theory.

Why would you not kick it to Bush and away from Mathis when Bush avg'd only about 17 yards per return on kicks this year and wasn't even ranked in the top 100? He wasn't even the best kickoff returner on his own team, by avg.

Could be trying to send a message to the teams that fall in love with Leinart that Houston would seriously consider taking him and if you want 100% assurance that your team can get him, you'll have to trade with Houston and take him #1 overall to do so. I would call his bluff if I was pro-Leinart GM though.
:goodposting: Not only that, but if you can make teams think that you could take Leinert or Bush and there are teams that covet both then you increase the number of bidding teams which can only help the Texans. Think about it, if there is only 1 guy worthy of the top pick only teams that need that position are going to trade up for that. But if you have two guys at two different positions and seemingly a large drop off after those two guys as the GM is trying to portray then you will have more teams to play off each other in the bidding war.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Jets gave up the 4, Abraham and another pick for the #1.

Why would you not kick it to Bush and away from Mathis when Bush avg'd only about 17 yards per return on kicks this year and wasn't even ranked in the top 100? He wasn't even the best kickoff returner on his own team, by avg.
Indeed you might. Last year when teams would kick away from Mathis sometimes someone like Wells would pick it up and advance it to the 40 or 50 since he was starting from a lot further up field. I'd still rather have a Bush out there to take the squibbed kick than I would a Wells.

J
:rolleyes: Dante Hall is a gifted returner with no natural position [nor did he have one in college]. He's proven time and again that he's not an NFL caliber WR.

The "only" question with Bush is whether he can be electrifying 20+ times a game, or 15-18.
I didn't say they were the same just that the description given also fit Dante. That, Joe's point brought up....people are going to have a hard time characterizing and analyzing/projecting Bush. I think this is just the start of a bunch of confusion to come.

just a theory.

Gotcha. Those games began to all bleed together last season. It seemed to me that Mathis was back there a good bit, but I guess it was because so many teams scored on the Texans.
Sadly for Texans fans, their kick returner seemed to spend more time on the field than their punt returner... :bag: J

If they don't trade down they are just shooting themselves in the foot. This is a team sport and they have two good parts of their team in Carr and Davis. Even if Reggie Bush turns out to be the next Barry Sanders, they really don't want to end up like the next Detroit Lions.

If the can get the Abraham deal and add Brick too boot then they address two need positions. Grabbing another RB or QB will not only set the team back from making any kind of run it could also kill the morale of the team as either QB, RB, &/or returner wouldn't be very happy about losing their playing time or position.

LAUNCH

Casserly has a very good reason for separating Leinhart and Cutler. If Cutler was perceived as being as good as Leinart, then the value of the #1 pick drops. Right now, most folks think the Saints will take Leinart. If Cutler is seen as just as good, well, then, folks can just trade up to #3 to take Cutler if they need a great QB. But if Leinart is seen as head and shoulders above Cutler, well, then, if you want the 1 true franchise QB in the draft, you'll probably need to trade up to the #1 and deal with Casserly. See how that makes sense?

J

J
I'm not sure I follow you on this, Joe, although I agree that Bush is explosive at his position the way that Moss is explosive at his. The best RB's average 5-6 ypc and 9-11 ypr. Even taking the highest number of each range, you'll still have a mean that falls somewhere in between which is around half of what Moss gets on a per-touch basis. Am I missing something here?

J

J
I'm not sure I follow you on this, Joe, although I agree that Bush is explosive at his position the way that Moss is explosive at his. The best RB's average 5-6 ypc and 9-11 ypr. Even taking the highest number of each range, you'll still have a mean that falls somewhere in between which is around half of what Moss gets on a per-touch basis. Am I missing something here?
Hi rm,I was speaking to Casserly's talk where he sounded to me like he was trying to equate RB touches with WR touches. Not a big deal. All the stuff they say in March is shady at best anyways....

J

The comparison to Moss is only to show that an NFL player doenst have to touch the ball all the time to be a difference maker. These people dont give a damn about the numbers. Only about winning football games. It makes no difference to them what the guy averages per touch or how many times he touches it. By putting a big playmaker like Moss or Bush on the field, the other team has to adjust to that player whether he touches the ball or not.

If Bush plays special teams, it wont impact all but very few fantasy leagues. If Bush plays special teams, its an obvious jump in yards per touch. If Bush plays special teams, it will improve that football team's ability to win the game. It wont improve your fantasy team's ability to win.

When the defense has to account for Bush, it improves that team's ability to win regardless of whether or not he actually touches the ball. It only affects your fantasy team if he touches the ball. NFL franchises, homers, and sports experts dont give a damn about the stats. You are the one concerned with the stats.

He's not comparing Bush's stats with Moss's stats. He's only comparing their playmaking ability and affect on an opposing team. That's something that is simuliar. Its not a stretch comparison. Your love of statistics is stretching the words of a football report.

J

J
I agree with your point there Joe, but I also think a player like Bush who can create matchup problems at any position he plays is much more of a threat to the opposing defense. Its one thing to figure out how to play a cover 2 shell to keep Moss contained. Its another to have to keep an extra DB on the field just to be able to cover Bush if he splits out as a WR.

J
I don't see Bush touching the ball for returns. Wasn't the only Texans pro bowler a rookie PR? :unsure:

just a theory.
He was a probowl KR, but they have no one good doing PR.

The comparison to Moss is only to show that an NFL player doenst have to touch the ball all the time to be a difference maker.
Hi UC,I don't disagree. But what I'm saying is that a WR has the opportunity to make much more out of his touches than a RB does.

J

Another ESPN guy weighing in...Mel Kiper posted an Insider assessment of the Combine with a detailed review of Cutler.

While I won't post the whole thing because it's a subscription writeup, I will put a few quotes out there since he echoed similar things on the radio today...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/ins..._mel&id=2346725

"Jay Cutler is fast becoming one of the most overhyped players in this draft."

"Cutler hasn't improved his draft position by what he did at the Senior Bowl and the Combine"

"He's going to go in the top 15 of the 1st round and might even go top five, but what he's done hasn't put him up with Matt Leinart and Vince Young."

Hi B,I sort of disagree. The NFL draft is not a lot different than your FF draft in that you want to get "value". You will never get value at #1 as the best case scenario is for the guy to be a star. He's got nothing but downside.But hypothetically speaking, if Casserly truly thought Cutler was 95% of Leinart or Bush, he's got a real motivation to grab him plus a pick vs just Leinart or Bush.Don't rule out egos. All these guys think they can spot something the other guys are missing. If he's thinking Cutler can be the guy, he absolutely is going to downplay Cutler and reinforce the conventional wisdom line that Leinart is clearly the man. He might think Cutler is neck and neck but his job now becomes building up Leinart and Bush in order to pump up their value to a trade partner.I'm with Jason, the idea that he's downplaying Cutler and hyping Leinart has me leaning toward thinking he's got his eye on Cutler. I don't believe much of what these guys say but I positively don't believe anything these guys say in February and March.J
Case in mind: The SD trade with Atlanta that got Atl Michael Vick. SD got LT and Brees in return from those trades. A lot os smoke and manuevers right now, we can only speculate.

Hi B,

I sort of disagree. The NFL draft is not a lot different than your FF draft in that you want to get "value". You will never get value at #1 as the best case scenario is for the guy to be a star. He's got nothing but downside.

J
Case in mind: The SD trade with Atlanta that got Atl Michael Vick. SD got LT and Tay Cody in return from those trades. A lot os smoke and manuevers right now, we can only speculate.
Fixed

As I was heading home tonight Charlie Casserly was being interviewed by Michael Kay on 1050 ESPN Radio in NY. Thought some would like to hear what he had to say [recognizing of course that this is primetime for rhetoric and misdirection]...

to compare Carr to Kitna is downright laughable.

to compare Carr to Kitna is downright laughable.
Hey Verbal...on which side of the ledger? Carr has the better pedigree for sure, but Kitna has had much more NFL success. Just to be clear it was Casserly's comparison, not mine. And I don't think he meant to say that Kitna and Carr had similar skill sets [in fact he later went on to say he is convinced David Carr can be a franchise QB which is why they picked up his option], but merely to paint the picture that the Texans aren't necessarily averse to taking a QB with their first pick.

Users who are viewing this thread