What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chernobyl: You didn’t see this thread, because it’s not here (Potential Spoilers) (2 Viewers)

My wife has poor hearing so we always have the subtitles on. It's gotten to the point that I actively miss them when I go to movies.  Even if I am not with my wife I turn them on at this point.

It's an adjustment to be sure but once you get it dialed in I think you realize that you miss a lot more dialogue than you know.

My wife has poor hearing so we always have the subtitles on. It's gotten to the point that I actively miss them when I go to movies.  Even if I am not with my wife I turn them on at this point.

It's an adjustment to be sure but once you get it dialed in I think you realize that you miss a lot more dialogue than you know.
My hearing is not bad, but definitely going.  I've had to put subtitles on for portions of shows and I know what you mean.  I'll be like, "Damn.  This show makes a lot more sense now."  :lol:

Funny I lived in a small apartment in Brooklyn with my light sleeping wife and 2 kids.  I always had subtitles on because I had the volume so low....and now that we are in a house, I still do.  I feel lost without them.  Except for sports/live events....can't stand the delayed captions.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh, missed the first one.  I assume it's in the usual on demand places?  

EG, thanks for the perspective from your friend.  Extremely cool!  
No problem.  I'm sure it's on HBO Now, or whatever their on-demand service is, and I'm guessing it will re-run several times during the week.

Funny I lived in a small apartment in Brooklyn with my light sleeping wife and 2 kids.  I always had subtitles on because I had the volume so low....and now that we are in a house, I still do.  I feel lost without them.  Except for sports/live events....can't stand the delayed captions.  
Yeah I hate subs for sports.  Don't need to hear the announcers well enough to care about missing anything and the letterbox gets in the way of the action.

Listened to the podcast and watched it again...absolutely outstanding.  Really looking forward to the rest.
Podcast? Could you share a link? I’m sure I could just search “Chernobyl” in the iTunes app - but I want to make sure I get the right one.

As far as having the subtitles on ... I’m not there yet, thankfully. Anytime I use them I find myself staring at words on the screen and missing out on what’s actually happening 🤷🏼‍♂️

Podcast? Could you share a link? I’m sure I could just search “Chernobyl” in the iTunes app - but I want to make sure I get the right one.

As far as having the subtitles on ... I’m not there yet, thankfully. Anytime I use them I find myself staring at words on the screen and missing out on what’s actually happening 🤷🏼‍♂️
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-chernobyl-podcast/id1459712981

I'm not 100% sure that's the "right" link, but that's the one you're looking for. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-chernobyl-podcast/id1459712981

I'm not 100% sure that's the "right" link, but that's the one you're looking for. 
Yeah, the podcast actually says HBO on it, I believe.  That's how I found it.  Can't miss it, really.  I actually bought the book your friend referenced in the podcast.  The new book.  I'm a terribly slow reader so I hope to have it done before 2029, but it arrives today and I'm excited to check it out.  Midnight in Chernobyl, I believe.

Funny side story:  Once I was trying to make my wife laugh with a fake English sounding name.  I literally just made up a name that was long and sounded Britishy.  I said Higgenbotham.  We laughed and laughed.  Such a stupid name.  Turns out the guy who wrote this book has that last name.   :shock:

Yeah, the podcast actually says HBO on it, I believe.  That's how I found it.  Can't miss it, really.  I actually bought the book your friend referenced in the podcast.  The new book.  I'm a terribly slow reader so I hope to have it done before 2029, but it arrives today and I'm excited to check it out.  Midnight in Chernobyl, I believe.

Funny side story:  Once I was trying to make my wife laugh with a fake English sounding name.  I literally just made up a name that was long and sounded Britishy.  I said Higgenbotham.  We laughed and laughed.  Such a stupid name.  Turns out the guy who wrote this book has that last name.   :shock:
:lmao:

That was some great TV. Hoping the other 2 episodes are equally as good. Watching people oblivious to the incredible danger all around them was intense and heartbreaking. It was powerful to watch them battle the fire; something they could see, feel and understand; unaware a greater invisible danger was killing them.

Do you watch a lot of series that entirely have subtitles?

Not sure the audience would lap that up.
I have, yes. I understand it would limit the audience. It’s too bad. But it was an excellent episode otherwise. In it for all 5. 

The podcast was very well done. It added a lot of depth to the story and was entirely spoiler free (for future episodes, they talked the ###$ out of ep 1).

Love that Peter Sagal was the moderator. Wait, wait is a weekly must listen for me.

The podcast was very well done. It added a lot of depth to the story and was entirely spoiler free (for future episodes, they talked the ###$ out of ep 1).

Love that Peter Sagal was the moderator. Wait, wait is a weekly must listen for me.
Yes, podcast helped explain a lot of things they couldn't fit in.  Nice add on.  I was also happy to find out through the podcast that they are going to go back and revisit the events leading up to the explosion.  

They couldn’t find Russian actors to do accents? Pass.
He said in the podcast that they tried that to start and it came off sounding like a joke.  Like Boris and Natasha.  So they decided against the accents.

He said the actors acted to the accents instead of just acting.  And it took away from the storytelling.  

Wait a minutes...so, according to Google, EG's old doobage broseph was college roommates with Ted freaking Cruz?  College roommates with the fuggin' Zodiac and he hasn't written about THAT yet? (other than some random tweets/blurbs in interviews, of course).

Needs to get HBO no the horn about funding that ish.

Wait a minutes...so, according to Google, EG's old doobage broseph was college roommates with Ted freaking Cruz?  College roommates with the fuggin' Zodiac and he hasn't written about THAT yet? (other than some random tweets/blurbs in interviews, of course).

Needs to get HBO no the horn about funding that ish.
I don't think he wants to deal with subject matter that terrifying. 

Another great episode last night. I may have a bit of a man-crush on Jared Harris.  He's fantastic in anything he does.  Loved him in The Terror, and he's knocking this out of the park too. 

Cant wait for the Ep. 3. 

Once again fantastic. Was relieved to see shcherbina take legasov seriously.  Wasn't expecting that at all and loved when they dragged fomin and bryukhanov away.  Head scratching moment for me was seeing master leuwin on an evacuation bus. Huh? Isn't he high up the food chain? Didn't think it he'd be on a cattle wagon. 

All of them speaking English was really distracting to me. 

Yea I found that it took me right out of the whole thing. Baffling decision. You gotta go all in with this. 
I don't really mind that they're speaking English, but good lord, why did they go with Downton Abbey accents for all the actors?  They couldn't get them to try out Eastern European accents?  Those aren't hard to pull off.

I don't really mind that they're speaking English, but good lord, why did they go with Downton Abbey accents for all the actors?  They couldn't get them to try out Eastern European accents?  Those aren't hard to pull off.
Russian/Eastern European accents would have sounded cartoonish, and on top of that they wouldn't have made any sense. This is a story about Russian people who were speaking Russian. How would having English speaking characters using Russian or eastern European accents make more sense than just having the actors talk like they talk? The only way Russian accents would work and not come off as absurd would have been if there were English speaking characters in the story that the Russians were conversing with. Outside of just shooting the thing in Russian (which would have been a huge risk, not to mention incredibly difficult), how they did it was really the only way they could have done it. I think it works great. Can't wait to watch tonight.

Russian/Eastern European accents would have sounded cartoonish, and on top of that they wouldn't have made any sense. This is a story about Russian people who were speaking Russian. How would having English speaking characters using Russian or eastern European accents make more sense than just having the actors talk like they talk? The only way Russian accents would work and not come off as absurd would have been if there were English speaking characters in the story that the Russians were conversing with. Outside of just shooting the thing in Russian (which would have been a huge risk, not to mention incredibly difficult), how they did it was really the only way they could have done it. I think it works great. Can't wait to watch tonight.
The accents don't take anything away for me, personally, but I do laugh that a couple of the main characters don't just have English accents.  They have the thickest English accents of any person in the UK.   :lol:

The one guy who was in charge of the plant in the first episode always made me laugh.  The only way he could have been more English would've been if he was dressed as a Bobby, swinging a night stick and yelling, "What's all this then?!"

That was brutal. So awful what the reactor workers and first responders went through. 

I’ve watched the first 2 episodes - gotta be honest, it’s taken me both of these episodes to get over the whole “Speaking English” thing.

thats said ... really a great show. 

Id be pissed off if i was a Russian though 

I’ve watched the first 2 episodes - gotta be honest, it’s taken me both of these episodes to get over the whole “Speaking English” thing.

thats said ... really a great show. 

Id be pissed off if i was a Russian though 
The first episode I thought oh come on this is ridiculous but I don’t think about it at all now. It’s really good. 

So, you guffaw then when you watch John Malkovich play the same Russian character in Billions he played in Rounders?  Did you cringe watching Hunt for Red October because their accents fell flat?  Why go with King's English here and not West Texan drawl if we're just going to spin the wheel and choose an accent of a people that lived nowhere ####### close to Chernobyl?  So dumb.

Show is fine. I'll watch episode 2 one day but the guys talking like they're part of Lord Vader's posse is so silly. 

Users who are viewing this thread