What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chernobyl: You didn’t see this thread, because it’s not here (Potential Spoilers) (2 Viewers)

So, you guffaw then when you watch John Malkovich play the same Russian character in Billions he played in Rounders?  Did you cringe watching Hunt for Red October because their accents fell flat?  Why go with King's English here and not West Texan drawl if we're just going to spin the wheel and choose an accent of a people that lived nowhere ####### close to Chernobyl?  So dumb.

Show is fine. I'll watch episode 2 one day but the guys talking like they're part of Lord Vader's posse is so silly. 
They didn't "choose" an accent. The actors are largely British and speak in their natural accents rather than trying to affect one at all. 

I don't really mind that they're speaking English, but good lord, why did they go with Downton Abbey accents for all the actors?  They couldn't get them to try out Eastern European accents?  Those aren't hard to pull off.
And then tonight naked crew chief with frightened turtle ween was Irish.

Anyway, really great show in spite of the language being spoken. 

Naked coal miners was very funny, and I assume historically accurate.  My wife couldn't stop laughing.  "We're still wearing the hats."

The fireman whose skin apparently was sloughing off was one of the more disturbing things I've ever seen on tv.  Yeesh.

shader said:
Haven’t thought about the language once.  You guys are weird. 
I am weird, but when Kevin Costner starred as Robin Hood and spoke in his Indiana, accent-neutral tone, it was a head scratching decision that ruined the movie for me (well, the movie sucked regardless, but my very good point stands).  I'm going to finish the show, but again, I don't think it's hard to get actors to attempt a Ukrainian accent.  How is that different than actors going with southern twangs in westerns?  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am weird, but when Kevin Costner starred as Robin Hood and spoke in his Indiana, accent-neutral tone, it was a head scratching decision that ruined the movie for me (well, the movie sucked regardless, but my very good point stands).  I'm going to finish the show, but again, I don't think it's hard to get actors to attempt a Ukrainian accent.  How is that different than actors going with southern twangs in westerns?  
Discussed earlier in thread.  They started out doing just that but it "sounded too Boris & Natasha" and took away from the performances in the eyes of the creator and director.  They ultimately decided to just have the actors speak naturally.

These events happened in the Soviet Union and everyone involved was speaking Russian.  It's being translated for an English-speaking audience.  No matter what they did, there would have been complaints.  "I can't understand a word of it and the subtitles keep me from watching the action."  "The show is solid, but the goofy Russian accents sound silly and are distracting."  "Why does everyone have a British accent if it's set in Russia?"  They ultimately made the choice that they felt best served the finished product - invariably and inevitably, there was going to be a subset of the viewing audience that didn't agree with that choice.

Discussed earlier in thread.  They started out doing just that but it "sounded too Boris & Natasha" and took away from the performances in the eyes of the creator and director.  They ultimately decided to just have the actors speak naturally.

These events happened in the Soviet Union and everyone involved was speaking Russian.  It's being translated for an English-speaking audience.  No matter what they did, there would have been complaints.  "I can't understand a word of it and the subtitles keep me from watching the action."  "The show is solid, but the goofy Russian accents sound silly and are distracting."  "Why does everyone have a British accent if it's set in Russia?"  They ultimately made the choice that they felt best served the finished product - invariably and inevitably, there was going to be a subset of the viewing audience that didn't agree with that choice.
:thumbup:

We move on.

General Malaise said:
So, you guffaw then when you watch John Malkovich play the same Russian character in Billions he played in Rounders?  Did you cringe watching Hunt for Red October because their accents fell flat?  Why go with King's English here and not West Texan drawl if we're just going to spin the wheel and choose an accent of a people that lived nowhere ####### close to Chernobyl?  So dumb.

Show is fine. I'll watch episode 2 one day but the guys talking like they're part of Lord Vader's posse is so silly. 
In both cases Malkovich's character is a Russian guy speaking English (never seen Billions but i assume that's the case), hence the accent. In Red October I recall they did a language change in conjunction with a camera push (lauded at the time). Still, the majority of the movie those are Russians speaking English to Americans. In Chernobyl these are Russians speaking Russian to other Russians. What sense does it make to have them speak English but with Russian accents?

Flip it around. Imagine a movie made in Brazil about something set in America with only American characters. Now imagine if they decided to shoot it in Portuguese and the characters spoke Portuguese but with American accents. It would be completely absurd.

Christian Slater’s English accent was far worse imo, but agreed, it’s an awful movie.

Christian Slater’s English accent was far worse imo, but agreed, it’s an awful movie.
It was Costner’s completely monotone,  lifeless delivery that stuck out for me: “You there. Ho, boy. :stifles yawn:  Come down from that tree.”

And, Marian starting out as half-ninja then being completely helpless for the rest of the movie. But plenty of awful to be found throughout.

The lack of accents has not bothered me at all in Chernobyl. The costuming and sets have more than made up for it. The only thing I wanted was I think in episode two there was some radio chatter that I didn’t see subtitles for, but I swear in the first episode there was stuff right at the beginning that did have subtitles.

It was Costner’s completely monotone,  lifeless delivery that stuck out for me: “You there. Ho, boy. :stifles yawn:  Come down from that tree.”

And, Marian starting out as half-ninja then being completely helpless for the rest of the movie. But plenty of awful to be found throughout.

The lack of accents has not bothered me at all in Chernobyl. The costuming and sets have more than made up for it. The only thing I wanted was I think in episode two there was some radio chatter that I didn’t see subtitles for, but I swear in the first episode there was stuff right at the beginning that did have subtitles.
The amount of work that went into recreating the buildings, furniture, clothing, etc of that era is mind-boggling. When Craig broke it down for me, I almost threw up at the thought of having to oversee all of that. It gave me a whole new appreciation for what goes into something like this - for only 5 episodes. Insane. 

The amount of work that went into recreating the buildings, furniture, clothing, etc of that era is mind-boggling. When Craig broke it down for me, I almost threw up at the thought of having to oversee all of that. It gave me a whole new appreciation for what goes into something like this - for only 5 episodes. Insane. 
Tell him to enjoy his Emmys.  Plural.

Just started watching, haven't read the thread.  Have the British paid restitution for their part in this?

General Malaise said:

Show was made by Brits.  It only sounds (really) weird because we're Americans watching Brits play Russians.  In Hollywood, we do it all of the time.  But it doesn't sound as weird because it's an American accent playing a Russian.  So it just sounds normal.  

As I stated before, I've always had a fascination with Chernobyl since it happened.  I've read a lot on it and watched a lot of docs about it.  I think one of the reasons it interested me was because I grew up near a nuclear power plant.  Even now, from my deck, the two cooling towers dominate the skyline just about a mile and a half from our home.  

I've read the stories of the radiation poisoning and the effects, but I guess my mind couldn't really grasp what it looked like because the images of those poor people was heartbreaking.  I can't imagine the pain.  To read it is one thing.  To see it was a whole other level.  Amazing job.  This series is incredible.

I like it. It's TV for chrissake. People are so critical of everything. Like they could do better. Just shut up already and don't watch it if you're too high and mighty for it.
Have you been in the Game of Thrones thread(s)?  Good god, just rename it the "GOT Nitpicking Thread".

facook said:
Have you been in the Game of Thrones thread(s)?  Good god, just rename it the "GOT Nitpicking Thread".
I think that's what has pushed me over the edge. No, I won't go in that thread because the rest of the Internet seems devoted to that already, so no need. Can't stand it.

So what happened to the helicopter that flew over the core and crashed? Did it malfunction or melt from the heat of the exposed core?

Oh, and radiation sickness can eat a ####. Remind me to run toward, and not away from, the epicenter when the bomb drops.

So what happened to the helicopter that flew over the core and crashed? Did it malfunction or melt from the heat of the exposed core?
looked like the heat/radiation caused it to stall & crash.  book I read had the Russians borrow mechanical machines from a few countries to remove the radioactive debris from a roof.  They only lasted 5 minutes before malfunction, thus  humans removing it.

Oh, and radiation sickness can eat a ####. Remind me to run toward, and not away from, the epicenter when the bomb drops.
I was so happy when I was a kid that I lived in such proximity to both NYC and to a naval base.  When the threat of nuclear war was at its peak, I was glad to know that if it happened, I'd probably have just seen a flash of light and been instantly vaporized.

Naked coal miners was very funny, and I assume historically accurate.  My wife couldn't stop laughing.  "We're still wearing the hats."

The fireman whose skin apparently was sloughing off was one of the more disturbing things I've ever seen on tv.  Yeesh.
This line was  :moneybag:

It is historically accurate. 

Apparently, the original cut had longer shots of that fireman and HBO actually asked them to tone it down.  :X   Craig talked about it on ep.3 of the podcast.  Apparently, the end-stage of radiation poisoning is even more gruesome than what they showed but they stopped at that because they didn't want it to be gratuitous.  That's why they chose to just show the reaction on Emily Watson's face when she "saw" Akimov rather than actually put the actor in makeup and show what happens right before death.  "His face was gone......"  Yikes.

33K reviews on IMDB has it at a 9.5/10 user rating.  If it finishes strongly and gets to 100K reviews with the same rating, it will top their list of the highest-rated TV shows in history.  This from a guy whose highest rated film as a feature screenwriter on RT was Scary Movie 4 at 36%.  :lol:

Just goes to show you what's possible when you're permitted to do something for which you have a genuine passion instead of just collecting a paycheck.

They looked like pizza the hut from Spaceballs

You’d think they would’ve supplied cyanide pills or another method so these guys wouldn’t have to suffer as long. So sad. 😢

You’d think they would’ve supplied cyanide pills or another method so these guys wouldn’t have to suffer as long. So sad. 😢
I don't think they even knew what they were dealing with originally.  Then, you've got the fact that the victims' veins and arteries collapse due to cellular damage, so they can't even administer a painkiller since there was no way for it to traverse the circulatory system.  I imagine a cyanide capsule would have been equally ineffective.  A bullet to the head may have been the only way.

Users who are viewing this thread