What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chernobyl: You didn’t see this thread, because it’s not here (Potential Spoilers) (3 Viewers)

Freaky episode.  My wife couldn’t watch any of the animal elimination scenes.  This is one intense miniseries.
Apparently, the really hard-to-watch stuff is over now.  Last episode is a courtroom procedural that exists mainly to explain in detail exactly why and how the reactor exploded.

I know you're joking and I only edited out the bottom of your post for space issues.  And I'll say again it's not bothering me, but at times I do have to laugh.  And Ep. 4 had another great accent part at the very beginning.  The Red Army pulls up to the old babushka who looked so perfect as an elderly Russian serf.  And then she spoke and it was like Monty Python.  I was waiting for her to go "Man.  I'm a man, not a woman.  And I'm 37.  I'm not old."  :lol:

Again, I can't stress enough the accents don't bother me, but as an American, every so often an English accent pops up that makes me smile a bit.
In one of the best episodes of the show I've watched in a long time, THIS was the best scene imo.  Her run down of all she had seen and all the times she's been told to leave, followed simply by "No."  Incredibly powerful.

The animals stuff (including her cow and the puppies) is extremely sad.  I guess I'm in the minority that still is more troubled by people suffering than animals.  Way more traumatized by the radiation poisoning of the fireman than any of the animal deaths.

Regardless, this episode just reinforces my opinion that this is the best show on tv now, and in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you're joking and I only edited out the bottom of your post for space issues.  And I'll say again it's not bothering me, but at times I do have to laugh.  And Ep. 4 had another great accent part at the very beginning.  The Red Army pulls up to the old babushka who looked so perfect as an elderly Russian serf.  And then she spoke and it was like Monty Python.  I was waiting for her to go "Man.  I'm a man, not a woman.  And I'm 37.  I'm not old."  :lol:

Again, I can't stress enough the accents don't bother me, but as an American, every so often an English accent pops up that makes me smile a bit.
Yep I get it.  I just found it funny how many posts there were about it early on as I read through the thread :thumbup:

Yep I get it.  I just found it funny how many posts there were about it early on as I read through the thread :thumbup:
Yup.  I know.  I didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling out your post because I understood what you were saying.  It just reminded me of that scene with the old lady that made me chuckle.

TheIronSheik said:

You may need your ears checked. None of the accents sounds even remotely Pythonesque.

I never noticed it before, but my laptop at work makes sounds like a Geiger counter from time to time.  And now, when it does, I immediately get chills and a little nervous.  

Thanks a lot, Pavlov.  :angry:

The guys that you see at the 7:49 mark of this video are some of the "liquidators" that attacked the event. I'm sure the government wasn't honest about the consequences of their actions but I'm also sure they all knew very quickly what was going on & the ramifications of their work on site. Most were able to spend about 30 seconds removing graphite before they had to run for cover and then you could only go out so many times before you hit the point of no return for radiation absorption. Incredible bravery. Most died or lived with horrible disease the rest of their lives.

My man got shouted out on Twitter by Stephen King today.  He's got to be beside himself.  John Carpenter the other day.  Heady stuff.
Rightfully so, very well done. Any chance he'd be available for a season 8 re-write of Game of Thrones? Asking for a friend...

beer 30 said:
Rightfully so, very well done. Any chance he'd be available for a season 8 re-write of Game of Thrones? Asking for a friend...
Funny you should mention - he actually re-wrote a good portion of the pilot episode.  Apparently, the original GOT pilot is out there on the internet now... Benioff & Weiss sent it to him and he made a bunch of notes and re-scripted some scenes.  They re-shot it based on that input and it ended up being the S1E1 you know.  That's why you'll hear several mentions of "House Mazin" on the show, which doesn't exist in the books.

Watched all 4 last night. I loved the part where they needed 3 volunteers and the professor from good will hunting cuts off the bs by the scientist and gives his speech about how there will be volunteers because they are needed. Then those dude stood up. Holy crap. Those guys had some stones.

Funny you should mention - he actually re-wrote a good portion of the pilot episode.  Apparently, the original GOT pilot is out there on the internet now... Benioff & Weiss sent it to him and he made a bunch of notes and re-scripted some scenes.  They re-shot it based on that input and it ended up being the S1E1 you know.  That's why you'll hear several mentions of "House Mazin" on the show, which doesn't exist in the books.
That's ####### awesome. Your buddy is all-time good.

Evilgrin 72 said:
My man got shouted out on Twitter by Stephen King today.  He's got to be beside himself.  John Carpenter the other day.  Heady stuff.
would be a good set up story for a stephen King book.  radiation & all.

DID IT WRITE IT IN A RUSSIAN ACCENT?!?

Evilgrin 72 said:
He really has done an outstanding job with this show. He deserves all the credit. 

Last edited by a moderator:
NOVA had a good documentary on the arch, worth checking out https://www.pbs.org/video/building-chernobyls-megatomb-lyqrnh/

The original sarcophagus was thought to last 10 but up to 20 years. It was 30 years old when they finally slid the arch over it. It was always a temporary shelter but the cost associated with the new arch was crazy and certainly more than the Ukraine (and probably all of Russia) could bear. It was probably irrational but I thought about the consequences of a collapse of the sarcophagus quite a bit until that arch was put in place :unsure: The implications of another release of radioactive material from the site would have been pretty bad. I don't as bad as the original obviously but not good. Radioactive dust in the air stream is never a good thing.

I'm partway through episode three.

I started watching because (a) the reviews have been universally excellent, and (b) I'll watch pretty much anything with Emma Watson in it.

Oops. My mistake on Emily-Emma. Anyway, it's still a worthwhile, important, haunting mini-series.

Every episode as great. Watched them all multiple times except this last one. I'd rank them:

Who do you even nominate for Emmys? So many great performances. Harris for sure. Likely Watson. Skaasgard should be. I think Ritter may have been my favorite actor in the whole show. Guy was so great tonight. When he slaps the test book out of the worker's hands, awesome.

really was a great mini-series. i am sure they could have had more episodes, but it seems like 5 did a good job.

Amazed that 2 of the divers are still alive today. how in the world they survived is just crazy

really was a great mini-series. i am sure they could have had more episodes, but it seems like 5 did a good job.

Amazed that 2 of the divers are still alive today. how in the world they survived is just crazy
It seems arbitary that two guys who went swimming in the reactor are still alive but some adult 500 miles away dies of radiation complications.   Crazy stuff.

we live daily with the chance of something like that happening.  Odds are slim but it's still there.  This show brought out the horror of radiation & the effects it has & could have on mankind.  Just so #######g damaging.  Really a mind blower.   Now we know with clarity & certainty, at least I do, that rogue nations like N. Korea & Iran should not have Nukes.

So glad you guys seem to have unanimously enjoyed.  I know I pimped it pretty hard, so it would have been a real bummer if it sucked balls.

David Simon‏ Verified account @AoDespair

Man, Chernobyl is one of those periodic booster shots that inoculate us from the morbid self-loathing that accompanies a career in television. What fine, careful work from HBO and all who labored on it.

Dude's never going to answer my e-mails any more.

I have to think on this more, not that it truly matters, but the courtroom scene was one of the best I've ever watched.  It wasn't an American courtroom in that sense, but the manner in which it was filmed, the lack of dramatic sound, the clear tension with so very little sound to portray it and the way he explained how the reactor worked was just magnificent.

I can't think of one true demerit I could give this show.  Not one.  5/5 10/10 100/100 whatever the ranking is.  It needs to win just about every award it gets nominated for.  This is the way you tell a story like this, and more of this kind of work needs to be done to teach people about the events that have shaped our history that are cataclysmic like Chernobyl.

Just brilliant.

And absolutely heart-wrenching.

Users who are viewing this thread