What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chicago Bears 2012 Offseason Thread (2 Viewers)

The strength of this team is their D (which is getting old). I fear the new GM may have a tough task ahead of him. -That said, I'm glad to see Angelo relieved of his duties.

Is there any buzz about who could land the GM job in CHI? Would Polian be an option worth exploring? Before this year, I think most thought quite highly of his job in Indy.

Is there any buzz about who could land the GM job in CHI? Would Polian be an option worth exploring? Before this year, I think most thought quite highly of his job in Indy.
That would be good. I was shocked they let him go. Over a decade of success and they let him go after one bad season without Manning.

I'm glad to see Angelo gone. I don't mind them hanging on to Lovie, but I believe they kept Lovie because they didn't want to have to pay Lovie and another coach. Lovie has another year on his contract. My biggest fear is that they will promote Tim Ruskell to the GM post. Ruskell did a piss poor job in Seattle. I don't have the least bit of faith in him to improve the Bears front office.

I think Tice will be promoted to OC. I'm not sure how good of an OC he will be. But until the Bears get some talent at WR and TE, and upgrade their tackles, nothing much will change. At least with Tice I think Cutler won't be taking many seven step drops. So Cutler's chances of staying upright for a whole season will increase. But I don't see Tice exhibiting much creativity. So it could very well be back to the Bear offenses of the past when they throw the ball 20 times a game, run the ball 35 times, and hope to win with defense and special teams.

Reggie McKenzie's name has been thrown around some, director of football operations for the Pack. Sadly, anything from the Pack can't be that bad. I'd rank him as number one on the list, and I see no reason why he wouldn't take a GM position if offered. He's a relatively young guy at 48 too.

Last edited by a moderator:
McCaskey says he's learned a lot from the other owners in town, but the Angelo decision was Phillips'

#Bears chairman Geo McCaskey said he wants to correct misperceptions that his fingerprints are on the Angelo firing "it was ted's decision"

#Bears Pres Ted Phillips said #Angelo was surprised by the firing and did not offer to resign

Phillips says botched trade with Ravens "wasn't one of our greatest moments."

Phillips said Lovie met w/Martz and they had "philosophical differences" and a departing of ways.

Phillips says the one restriction placed on GM candidate will be that Lovie Smith is head coach for 2012

Ted: "Every year is a must-win year. We've only been in the playoffs once in the last 5 years and that's not acceptable."

Phillips on Lovie's decision on Martz: "He decided today. That was Lovie's decision."

#Bears Tim Ruskell will serve as GM on interim basis, Phillips not eliminating anyone yet from job

Ted says he will not employ search firm to get a GM as he did last time to hire GM

Ted Phillips on coordinator: "That'll be Lovie's decision."

Ted: "Obviously, we want to do better in the early parts of the draft."

Why in the hell is Lovie going to have involvement in the hiring of a new GM? Then, after a GM is hired, they will be forced to have him as a coach for one season. What kind of crap is that? They might as well hire Lovie as the GM. No one worth a damn is going to come here when they are having their hand forced the moment they walk in the door. More of the same old crap. :thumbdown:

'flapgreen said:
Reggie McKenzie's name has been thrown around some, director of football operations for the Pack. Sadly, anything from the Pack can't be that bad. I'd rank him as number one on the list, and I see no reason why he wouldn't take a GM position if offered. He's a relatively young guy at 48 too.
Interviewing with the Raiders today for GM position. :mellow:

'flapgreen said:
Please no Bates or Tice at offensive coordinator.
I heard Brian Billick's name mentioned as a possible candidate. I'd like that, but I think it will be Tice. I'm not thrilled about that, but I think he will do a better job than Martz.

Why in the hell is Lovie going to have involvement in the hiring of a new GM? Then, after a GM is hired, they will be forced to have him as a coach for one season. What kind of crap is that? They might as well hire Lovie as the GM. No one worth a damn is going to come here when they are having their hand forced the moment they walk in the door. More of the same old crap. :thumbdown:
I agree, keeping Lovie is one thing. Hiring a GM and not letting him hire his own coach is difficult. But involving Lovie in the hiring process is amateurish. For example, I don't think Bill Polian would consider a situation like this. When you have a number of other jobs open, where the GM is going to be able to hire his own people, the Bears drop to the bottom of the list. Just like they had difficulty hiring an OC when they hired Martz, I think the best candidates are going to be reluctant to come here. Firing Angelo was good, but the handling of all this, not so good.

DeCosta interviewing with the Rams. This is becoming eerily similar to when the Bears were looking for a coordinator last time and got stuck with Martz. Hopefully, they get into action soon and get one of these guys.

My guess is they promote Ruskell and Tice. That would be just like the Bears. :bag:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/9811293-419/bears-still-have-a-mess-to-clean-up-at-halas-hall.html

Bears still have a mess to clean up at Halas Hall

BY MARK POTASH

Bears President Ted Phillips talks about the firing of general manager Jerry Angelo and the resigning of offensive coordinator Mike Martz Tuesday January 3, 2012 at Halas Hall. | Tom Cruze~Sun-Times

The surprising firing of Jerry Angelo seems to mark a shift in the culture at Halas Hall, but when the dust had settled Tuesday, one fact remained: The Bears still need to get their act together.

Firing Angelo might have been a step in the right direction, but it didn’t erase the dysfunction at Halas Hall. Ted Phillips, who still knows much more about finance than he does about football after 13 years as team president, will be hiring a general manager who won’t be able to hire his own coach.

And Lovie Smith has to hire an offensive coordinator who not only is willing to join a coaching staff that will be on the hot seat to start the 2012 season, but is on the same page as not only Smith, but Jay Cutler and whomever is hired as GM.

It’s not as easy it looks, as the Bears constantly prove. When Smith fired Ron Turner, he hired Mike Martz over the objections of Angelo, insiders say. Angelo stuck him with a backup quarterback in Caleb Hanie who did not fit Martz’s offensive philosophy — which ultimately cost both Angelo and Martz their jobs.

That Martz was not an Angelo guy and Hanie was not a Martz guy tells you all you need to know about how the Bears operate. Their success is really amazing considering how dysfunctional they are. They traded for Jay Cutler, who thrived in an offense with a dynamic receiver (Brandon Marshall), pass-catching tight ends (Tony Scheffler/Daniel Graham) and a stable offensive line (all five starters started every game in Cutler’s 2008 Pro Bowl season). And the Bears put him in an offense without a dynamic receiver, that de-emphasized the tight ends and with a makeshift offensive line that couldn’t stay healthy.

And they’re wondering why the Packers and Lions are pulling away?

Good for the Bears that they realized they have a problem. But when it comes to solving it, they’re like an alcoholic going door-to-door in search of AA. This is an organization that would be bankrupt in any other business but football. And while, as descendants of NFL founding father George Halas, they have the right to shoot fish in a barrel to make a living, it takes more than a birthright to win precious championships.

You need the right people in the right jobs. But it takes the right person in the right job to put the right people in the right jobs. That’s the paradox that defines the Bears right now. Unless they learn quickly, nothing will change until somebody near the top fires himself.

'flapgreen said:
DeCosta interviewing with the Rams. This is becoming eerily similar to when the Bears were looking for a coordinator last time and got stuck with Martz. Hopefully, they get into action soon and get one of these guys.My guess is they promote Ruskell and Tice. That would be just like the Bears. :bag:
Tice I could actually live with. Ruskell on the other hand, would be a disaster (and possibly a step backwards from JA).

DeCosta interviewing with the Bears today. Clayton seems to think it's likely DeCosta could take the Bears position. This would be fantastic!

I don't see keeping lovie as a big detractor for a gm. He is only under contract for 2 more years and could easily be fired next year. gms aren't like coaches, a bad year isn't going to get them fired. If anything, it will take some pressure off him for the first year. Not to mention, lovie seemd to be pretty respected throughout the nfl. I really doubt many gms will pass up the job just because of lovie.

I don't see keeping lovie as a big detractor for a gm. He is only under contract for 2 more years and could easily be fired next year. gms aren't like coaches, a bad year isn't going to get them fired. If anything, it will take some pressure off him for the first year. Not to mention, lovie seemd to be pretty respected throughout the nfl. I really doubt many gms will pass up the job just because of lovie.
I don't think it's as much keeping Lovie as it is having your hand forced before you even walk in the door. What top GM candidate wants to be told they have to keep the current coach in place for one year? That's a very odd way of going about things. Also, if Lovie could easily be fired next year, why is he involved and sitting in on who gets hired as GM? That doesn't make much sense. Lovie's helping to hire his own boss who could fire him next season? :confused: There are multiple GM jobs out there this year, all of which could be more enticing than the Bears if the other teams give the GM more control.I've always been a big Lovie supporter, but when is he going to be held accountable for the offensive woes? If what management is saying is true, Lovie has been the one hiring these duds. Angelo never wanted Martz, from my understanding. I just don't like how this entire situation is being handled.My wish would be to hire DeCosta, bring in Jeff Fisher and move on. If you're going to make a big change in management and move in a different direction, why not start from the bottom? I won't get into a discussion about Fisher, but he would be the perfect guy in Chicago. I'm sure he would jump on it in a heartbeat. He's a Chicago guy.eta: With that said, I'd be pumped if we landed DeCosta. The Ravens have been doing everything they could over the last few years to keep him.

McKenzie is off the board. Signed by Raiders. There's one down.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7430468/source-oakland-raiders-hire-reggie-mckenzie-green-bay-packers-gm

Mike Tice named new OC. Boring... no way these coaches survive next year.

Supposedly they will get a "passing game coordinator" whatever the heck that is, likely a QB coach that assists in pass play calling? I don't know.

Mike Tice named new OC. Boring... no way these coaches survive next year.Supposedly they will get a "passing game coordinator" whatever the heck that is, likely a QB coach that assists in pass play calling? I don't know.
Sadly, I don't think there's much else they could do. No good coordinator in his right mind is going to come into a situation where there's already instability at the coaching and management levels. Who wants to walk into a situation where there's a good chance you could lose your job soon. Phillips eliminated any chance of getting a good OC when he said Lovie had to stay for one more year. Baffles the mind.

Mike Tice named new OC. Boring... no way these coaches survive next year.Supposedly they will get a "passing game coordinator" whatever the heck that is, likely a QB coach that assists in pass play calling? I don't know.
Sadly, I don't think there's much else they could do. No good coordinator in his right mind is going to come into a situation where there's already instability at the coaching and management levels. Who wants to walk into a situation where there's a good chance you could lose your job soon. Phillips eliminated any chance of getting a good OC when he said Lovie had to stay for one more year. Baffles the mind.
And now it looks like we lost out on another good GM candidate, supposedly the Baltimore guy is "not leaving".

Yep. DeCosta is staying. It looks like he had similar feelings and didn't feel like the GM position of one of the most storied franchises in NFL history was worth it. Sad state of affairs for sure, but more of the same.

Man, this franchise so badly needs a reboot. My wife and all my inlaws are Bears fans and even as a Packers fan I feel bad for you guys. You have some really nice players too. Just wasting Urlacher's career away. Mike Tice? Seriously? Why not go after Brad Childress if you are going to snag ex-head coaches? At least he had some offensive acumen.

Yep. DeCosta is staying. It looks like he had similar feelings and didn't feel like the GM position of one of the most storied franchises in NFL history was worth it. Sad state of affairs for sure, but more of the same.
I think it's a stretch to say that decosta is staying in baltimore because of anything the bears did/have done. As you stated above, there are a lot of openings. I think decosta staying in baltimore is more because he is happy there as the "future" gm of baltimore. It is too bad, he was my favorite for the bears job though.I still dont think that lovie is hurting the gm search, but you could be right.As far as tice goes, I like the move. He wont completely revamp the system, so it isnt a "start all over" move. he has done a great job with the line. I think getting a "passing coordinator" sounds funny, but sometimes thinking outside the box is the way to get ahead. At least they recognize tice's weakness and are trying to stifle it.

I think it is silly to fire your GM but keep your coach. Green Bay did the same thing when Thompson was hired. He kept Sherman on for a year to "evaluate" him. Even gave him a contract extension. Then broomed his ###. Why not just bite the bullet. Its like bringing in a new coach and telling him to use the old playbook. I don't get it.

It may be a little bit of a stretch, but I think an organization like the Bears could draw him away with the right offer. Maybe Tice will be ok, but he's never been an offensive coordinator and I would think if he was some up and coming talent, he would've held the position years ago. Just seems like a typical "Bears" move and there will be more years of mediocrity ahead. I'm not optimistic that they will get a top GM candidate now. At times, it seems like they don't it, while the Packers and Lions organizations are taking off and leaving us. Call me an eternal pessimist but I don't see the gap closing anytime soon. Geez, in my entire life, I never thought the Bears would be playing catch up to the Lions.

I think it is silly to fire your GM but keep your coach. Green Bay did the same thing when Thompson was hired. He kept Sherman on for a year to "evaluate" him. Even gave him a contract extension. Then broomed his ###. Why not just bite the bullet. Its like bringing in a new coach and telling him to use the old playbook. I don't get it.
I wondered about that too. Maybe they're keeping Lovie (for now)for stability reasons. However the new GM will not have any ties to Lovie so, barring a great season, he's officially on the hotseat.

At this point, I wouldn't doubt they promote Ruskell to GM. They promoted Tice, who has never been an offensive play caller. Why not promote Ruskell? It's the Bear way.

:goodposting: Was relly hoping to see Lovie gone also. I don't really mind him and think he is a decent coach, but if you're going to clean house why keep him around? Make little sense.

'flapgreen said:
At this point, I wouldn't doubt they promote Ruskell to GM. They promoted Tice, who has never been an offensive play caller. Why not promote Ruskell? It's the Bear way.
Not true about tice, he called plays as hc in minnesota for a while. And saying that no one wants him as an oc is a wrong also. 1. He was a head coach that has an offensive background, so minnesota trusted his offensive ideas, and 2. Someone (i think the titans) wanted to interview him to be their o. Coordinator last year and the bears blocked it. And yes, you are the eternal pessimist, which unfortunately has turned me into an eternal optimist...i guess i have to be a contrarian...On the gm front, if the bears hire Snead, I call it a win. It sounds like he is an up and coming gm with a knack for evaluating talent. I can't see how they could promote ruskell after stressing how important talent evaluation is, obviously with him having a part in it for years, the besrs have not done well there...

hmmmm the Bears seem to put more stock into the coaching staff than the team and the draft. This is starting to look like a clown car at the circus with this split OC nonsense. This team is going to be stuck in the 70s until the McDummy family moves on. I am tired of hearing about the tradition and watching these dummies make moves that make no sense. The Cubs of the NFL are in prime shape with this clan.

hmmmm the Bears seem to put more stock into the coaching staff than the team and the draft. This is starting to look like a clown car at the circus with this split OC nonsense. This team is going to be stuck in the 70s until the McDummy family moves on. I am tired of hearing about the tradition and watching these dummies make moves that make no sense. The Cubs of the NFL are in prime shape with this clan.
I'm not sure why people assume that having a "passing coordinator" is such a bad idea. Tice may be a run first guy, but he certainly threw the ball plenty in minnesota (see culpepper to moss). Having someone on the staff that is focused on the passing game may be great. Everyone says thats the key to winning, right? maybe it will work out, maybe it wont, but at least they are making a move to improve an obvious weakness.Also, tice acknowledged that the bears need a #1 wr, thats a big improvement on its own!

Firing the OC, promoting the OL coach to coordinator, and keeping the worst wrs coach in the league is the Bears way of "making a move", but not the rest of the league's. Lovie is on his third OC in four years and has gotten the Bears to the playoffs three times in eight years. Now, he's promoting the OL coach from a line that's given up more sacks than any team in the league over the last two years. Sorry but that doesn't sound like a recipie for success. :shrug:

They have already missed out on the top two candidates without so much as an interview. I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ruskell is promoted. That would really surprise you? The Bears have been in large part a disappointment for over two decades for a reason, and it's not because we're unlucky.

'D.J. said:
'flapgreen said:
I think it's a stretch to say that decosta is staying in baltimore because of anything the bears did/have done. As you stated above, there are a lot of openings. I think decosta staying in baltimore is more because he is happy there as the "future" gm of baltimore. It is too bad, he was my favorite for the bears job though.I still dont think that lovie is hurting the gm search, but you could be right.

As far as tice goes, I like the move. He wont completely revamp the system, so it isnt a "start all over" move. he has done a great job with the line. I think getting a "passing coordinator" sounds funny, but sometimes thinking outside the box is the way to get ahead. At least they recognize tice's weakness and are trying to stifle it.
I always find this amusing. The Bears gave up a ton of sacks. The offensive line was poor most of the year, but yet everyone talks about how Tice does such a great job. Webb regressed as the season went along. Does his coach have some responsibility for that? Lance Louis was not very good at right tackle. Does his coach have some responsibility for that? It is interesting that the offensive line is weak, but everyone thinks that the coach does a great job.

If you are hiring a new GM, why in the hell would you go ahead and start making his decisions for him before he gets there? Makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread