What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chicago Bears 2012 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Zach Zaidman @ZachZaidman 1h

Jaguars officially announce they've named Greg Olson assistant head coach. Olson interviewed with #Bears for passing game coordinator/QBs

'Max Power said:
'DoubleG said:
BradBiggs Brad Biggs

Tribune reporting #Raiders have requested permission to interview #Bears OC Mike Tice for head-coaching job. trib.in/xZlwIT

6 minutes ago

The Bears can't deny permission this time.
Typical Bears disaster. So they are looking for a "Passing Coordinator" (whatever the heck that is) to work under an O.C. who might leave to be a head coach in a week.BRILLIANT!

:wall:

I wish there was a "punch myself in the face repeatedly" emoticon.

Why couldn't my parents have moved to North Dakota before I was born so I wouldn't give a #### about football?!?
So what do you propose the Bears do about this? This is not of their doing. There is nothing they did wrong here and nothing they can do.
At this point its looking like their commitment to Lovie is doing more harm than good. Thanks to their stance with Lovie we could be missing out on a top of the line GM and OC. Just doesn't seem worth it.
There is no evidence to suggest that any gm has turned down or avoided the bears job because of lovie. No gm is on the record (or even speculated) to have said that they would not interview with chicago. Who that is a "top gm" has even signed.elsewhere? The guy from green bay was a prime target and took the first offer he saw. Beyond that, no "top" guy has been taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruskey interviewed today. :mellow:

All schtick aside, why are the Bears interviewing Ruskell? Do they really believe he is a viable candidate and on the same level as the other guys they are interviewing? Why not just keep Angelo if they are considering hiring Ruskell? He's the one who brought him in and now they're considering promoting him. :confused:

What will the GM's role be? The coaching staff and management are already in place. If they were going to get rid of Ruskell, they would have already. Is he going to be a puppet? You would have to be crazy to take that job if you're not given the control a normal GM would have. :wall: NEGATIVE FLAP!!!! :pickle:
Are you really that dumb? Heard of a draft or free agency? Also, I am positive the new gm will get to pick his coach if Lovie is not extend ed when his contract ends. Angelo did the same thing

What will the GM's role be? The coaching staff and management are already in place. If they were going to get rid of Ruskell, they would have already. Is he going to be a puppet? You would have to be crazy to take that job if you're not given the control a normal GM would have. :wall: NEGATIVE FLAP!!!! :pickle:
Are you really that dumb? Heard of a draft or free agency? Also, I am positive the new gm will get to pick his coach if Lovie is not extend ed when his contract ends. Angelo did the same thing
Sup bro?

Still reading Emery is the favorite from the beat writers, but not sure how much of that is just speculation. As long as Ruskell doesn't get it, I'll be happy. Licht looks like he should be at the bottom of the list too. My pick would still be Ross. It would be great to get a new up and comer in the league, but it doesn't appear he will get it. It's not the Bears way of thinking.

I'll admit I don't know much about most of these candidates, except Ruskell and Ross. Here's a few comments from Dickerson and Wright, the two beat writers I follow closest.

Dickerson and Wright @ESPNChiBears 6

So a quick recap: Jason Licht -talented personnel evaluator, seen as rising star in PHI before being pushed out, went to ARI, never signed. .never signed contract with ARI, went to NE. One negative, has never had to make a true decision that stuck to him.

Jimmy Raye: Part of a solid org. (SD), but ever since Buddy Nix left in 2007, Raye assumed more responsibility and SD has declined.

Marc Ross: Some feel not the hardest worker, others say he's so intelligent he processes info quickly & moves on. Two sides to every story.

Tim Ruskell: Only candidate with prior GM experience.

Phil Emery: NFL scouts call him a "grinder", the "hardest working guy in the room", "unflappable". Worked for Bears as area scout (98-04).

Dickerson and Wright @ESPNChiBears

“@nbcgeoffglick: just a guess, but my $ on Ruskell or Emery”-- Emery just seems like kind of person Bears would hire. Ruskell...no comment!

'flapgreen said:
Still reading Emery is the favorite from the beat writers, but not sure how much of that is just speculation. As long as Ruskell doesn't get it, I'll be happy. Licht looks like he should be at the bottom of the list too. My pick would still be Ross. It would be great to get a new up and comer in the league, but it doesn't appear he will get it. It's not the Bears way of thinking.
what is it that makes it appear he won't get it?

'flapgreen said:
Still reading Emery is the favorite from the beat writers, but not sure houw much of that is just speculation. As long as Ruskell doesn't get it, I'll be happy. Licht looks like he should be at the bottom of the list too. My pick would still be Ross. It would be great to get a new up and comer in the league, but it doesn't appear he will get it. It's not the Bears way of thinking.
what is it that makes it appear he won't get it?
Everything I'm reading from the beat writers is pointing the other way, but there's no way of knowing for sure. Only my personal opinion but I think the Bears are much less likely to hire a younger guy. It's never been how they do things. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to have Ross or Raye in here, and I think they are the best two candidates.

'flapgreen said:
'D.J. said:
Im just hoping for the Giants guy at this point.
Ross or Raye would work fine. I guess Snead slept with Ted's boyfriend. He hasn't even been mentioned.
They spent several said "vetting" him...maybe they didn't like him?
what
there were plenty of reports that the bears were looking at him the week angelo got canned. they never actually interviewed him, so.my guess is they decided he wasnt what they were looking for

I read an article (i think sun times) that was talking about emery. compared him to ted thompson. My initial thoughts about emery were not great, but everything I have read the last couple of.days has been positive

'flapgreen said:
'D.J. said:
Im just hoping for the Giants guy at this point.
Ross or Raye would work fine. I guess Snead slept with Ted's boyfriend. He hasn't even been mentioned.
They spent several said "vetting" him...maybe they didn't like him?
what
there were plenty of reports that the bears were looking at him the week angelo got canned. they never actually interviewed him, so.my guess is they decided he wasnt what they were looking for
Ok. I didn't understand what that statement meant.

'D.J. said:
I read an article (i think sun times) that was talking about emery. compared him to ted thompson. My initial thoughts about emery were not great, but everything I have read the last couple of.days has been positive
I have no idea how involved he was in the draft while he was a scout in Chicago, but the drafts during that time left a lot to be desired. Cade Mcnown, David Terrel, Curtis Enis and Rex were all taken in the first round. That's not a very good track record on the offensive side of the ball. I haven't looked into his drafts with other teams since then, but those picks were atrocious. I think Ross is the guy, but again I don't think he has much of a chance. Just my opinion.

'D.J. said:
I have no idea how involved he was in the draft while he was a scout in Chicago, but the drafts during that time left a lot to be desired. Cade Mcnown, David Terrel, Curtis Enis and Rex were all taken in the first round. That's not a very good track record on the offensive side of the ball. I haven't looked into his drafts with other teams since then, but those picks were atrocious. I think Ross is the guy, but again I don't think he has much of a chance. Just my opinion.
I read he was involved with a lot of the atlanta drafts (i heard he was integral in picking roddy white) he also was involved with picking matt ryan, dwayne bowe, and eric berry.

Jimmy Raye informed he is out of the race. There's one of the guys I wanted now gone. I have no doubts Ross will be the next to be informed.

Yeah. Now they are changing it and supposedly setting up 2nd interviews. Jensen is saying Ruskell not involved, but he's wrong half of the time. :shrug: Bears are waffling.

Yep. Ross is out of the running. :rolleyes: Down to Emery, Ruskell, and Licht. Second interviews being set up, not sure who will be a part of it yet.

I'll be glad when you stop hating on me by posting vulgar comments on my profile. It's just a message board Flap
Bro, I've been trying to post compliments on your profile for a while now, but it won't let me. What's the deal? Do you block me? I didn't think it ever worked.
This is your last comment "I'd rather hang out with Jerry Sandusky" You clearly need to get a clue...it's a message board. Step away from the rivalries and get a life.

I've been leaning on you since the Benson/Thomas Jones days. Relax. I'm just giving you a hard time. You do the same to me, probably more so. It's not a big deal.

I've been leaning on you since the Benson/Thomas Jones days. Relax. I'm just giving you a hard time. You do the same to me, probably more so. It's not a big deal.
I'm more than calm, but i'm also mature and don't act like a 12 year old because i'm behind a computer.In Bear news, i'm happy with the GM process thus far. Curious how the passing coordinator will turn out.

I'm more than calm, but i'm also mature and don't act like a 12 year old because i'm behind a computer.In Bear news, i'm happy with the GM process thus far. Curious how the passing coordinator will turn out.
Thank you?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-job-could-be-tough-sell-for-miamis-fisch-20120125,0,3929025.story

Bears' job could be tough sell for Miami's Fisch

MOBILE, Ala. -- It might be difficult for the Chicago Bears to lure Jedd Fisch to Chicago from South Beach, and it has nothing to do with the weather.

Fisch, now the offensive coordinator at the University of Miami, is high on the Bears' wish list for quarterbacks coach/passing game coordinator. But several coaches familiar with Fisch said the 36-year-old has no desire to leave Miami at this time.

Part of Fisch's reservations, according to the coaches, has to do with the title of "passing game coordinator" and the duties that come with it. New offensive coordinator Mike Tice will call the plays in a revamped offense expected to be more run-oriented.

One source said Fisch also might not want to uproot his family after his wife gave birth to their second daughter two years ago.

That's not to say the Bears won't make a run at Fisch after his recruiting season ends Feb.1. Fisch did not respond to multiple messages left by the Tribune.

Fisch was the receivers coach in Denver when Jay Cutler played there, and the Bears would like to hire someone Cutler would be comfortable working alongside. Fisch interviewed to be the Bears' quarterbacks coach in 2007, but Pep Hamilton got the job.

The Bears interviewed former Tampa Bay offensive coordinator Greg Olson for their opening, but Olson was named the quarterbacks coach in Jacksonville. Tice wanted to add former Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter but Koetter was hired for the same position in Atlanta, And Titans quarterbacks coach/passing game coordinator Dowell Loggains had a strong desire to come work with Cutler until Tennessee denied the Bears' permission to interview him :rolleyes: .

The Bears continue to monitor the status of Colts offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen, who could remain in Indianapolis, depending on the wishes of newly named head coach Chuck Pagano. Christensen and Lovie Smith were on the same Buccaneers' staff.

Ex-Seahawks offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, Cutler's quarterbacks coach in Denver, will not be considered for the position.

vxmcclure@tribune.com
Another potential "passing coordinator" :rolleyes: candidate scoffs at the idea of coming to the Bears. How can so many coaches turn down the chance to coach Jay Cutler and the Bears? Most people already know the reasons, including the guys who have decided to take the exact same job with worse teams.

Tice has Webb's back in a recent interview, saying he's the guy at LT. :wall:

"And then you have an entire offseason (with) a chance to make him better there. He is a very good run blocker. Do I think he is a guy moving forward? Yes, I do unless some miracle happens and an elite first-round draft pick that we couldn't pass up fell in our lap, which I doubt. Yeah, he's our guy moving forward." :rolleyes:

Tice has Webb's back in a recent interview, saying he's the guy at LT. :wall: "And then you have an entire offseason (with) a chance to make him better there. He is a very good run blocker. Do I think he is a guy moving forward? Yes, I do unless some miracle happens and an elite first-round draft pick that we couldn't pass up fell in our lap, which I doubt. Yeah, he's our guy moving forward." :rolleyes:
Oh jeez. I really want to see Williams given one more shot to at least compete there. Maybe with his success at guard and some time with Tice a light went on....I dunno....ANYTHING BUT FREAKIN WEBB

Users who are viewing this thread