What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (2 Viewers)

Not going to happen, but this would be quite interesting: Hire Harbaugh as the new HC and Rivera as the DC. Then trade Fields and the #9 to Washington for the #2 where you select Williams and Harrison back to back at the top of the draft.

Last edited:
I live in Nashville and he is very well liked and respected here. A real football guy. I'll bet he said he wanted to go to New England.

Eberflus seemed to synch with the players as the year went on. He turned the defense around after some weird stuff went on with his defensive coaches earlier in the year. Flus is a good (teetering on very good) defensive coach, and if he gets fired he'll land somewhere pretty quickly (and do the thing he's good at - be a defensive coordinator). Like Fields, there's a lot to like, but I see zero improvement in the things he's bad at. I can't point to a single game where the Bears made a significant second half adjustment that tipped the scales in their favor (on offense or defense). He was repeatedly and very obviously outcoached in the second half of most games. While he's ultimately to blame, that kind of thing lays at the feet of his coordinators as well, which leads us to...

Getsy grew on me as the year went on. The more I watched diagram breakdowns on YouTube (shout out to Chase Daniel, etc.) I liked what he was doing. I get what he's going for. He's also said repeatedly that he's not changing his strategy based on the talent on the field. That's how much he believes in it. But dang dude, you can't just put your head in a play sheet and pretend that Justin Fields is Aaron Rodgers (or even Jordan Love) or that Tyler Scott is the same player as DJ Moore. Any game where DJ doesn't get 10 targets is a coaching error. I think he's a solid coordinator Tuesday - Saturday, but so far I haven't seen him shine as a Sunday guy. I know you can cherry pick on either side, but I remember them playing the Vikings, and it seemed to click on the MIN sideline that "hey, I think they're going to let us throw 9 yard passes to TJ Hockenson all day....let's do that" (and they did). Those are the kind of things I don't see from Getsy. OMG - and that play where the Bears ran a screen that got called back due to delay of game and then they ran the EXACT same play on 1st and 15 (and it was laughably stuffed).

Overall, the coaching staff is ok, but they are ultra-dependent on having enough talented players to overcome their shortcomings. These guys aren't wizards that can make a bagel and ketchup taste like a pizza. Vrabel, McVay, guys like that can do some smoke and mirrors stuff. Not these guys.

Justin....oh Justin. He's a killer because he's one improvement away from being a very good QB. His pocket presence is awful. No two ways about it. I don't know if it's because he didn't have to worry about pressure in college, or if he's always been able to "magic" his way out of a collapsing pocket, but he has 'zero' feel for what's going on around him. I know it's simple for me to sit on the couch and say "1-2-3-4 throw or run". It's the kind of thing that Bagent gets because he's had to worry about it his whole career. Bags is a 1-2-3 get it out or throw it away type of guy. Bagent's had a lot of practice having to make quick decisions. Justin does have a good feel for touch on his passes. He looks really good in the first half when they run their scripted plays. He's been let down a TON by his receiving 'talent' not named DJ Moore. When teams shut down DJ, Fields is left to watch the Tyler Scotts and Velus Jones' of the world try to play receiver (and what the heck happened to Mooney?). JF still doesn't read the field as quickly as I'd like, but he did get better in that department as the year went on. If he were even just marginally better at the "intangibles" of being a QB, he'd be a superstar. But it's a $30M a year gamble he'll put it together.

And here we are. Can Bears ownership sell the fanbase on yet another 5-year plan? Very tough. It would have to take a heck of a splash hiring coaching wise. I've heard Harbaugh thrown around, and I'm sure they'd pay him whatever he wants, but you have to think he's going to want some kind of final say in player and drafting decisions. I'm not sure Poles is keen on being the #2 guy with those decisions. Really, any big name coach is going to want more control than I think Pace is ready to give up. Would Flus consider staying as DC with Vrabel taking HC duties? Give Flus a $1M bonus and a "co-head coach" title as a face-saver and let him do what he does best. Vrabel would be a good fit here. Heck, he might even bring Henry along.

Fields and ATL seem like a perfect fit. I've always seen that as his destination if he moves on from CHI. Fields does have problems, but if Stefon Diggs was on this team the Bears would have 3 more wins and be in the playoffs (maybe more). Really, that's how many games they simply gave away. If Fields stays, they will add a veteran WR to help out underneath (or draft Nabers). I thought Mooney would flourish in that role (especially in a FA year) but he completely disappeared.

If I'm Poles, I turn over every coaching rock to see if I can turn up someone - anyone - that I think can turn Fields around. Because someone is going to fall head over heels for that #1 pick.

Eberflus seemed to synch with the players as the year went on. He turned the defense around after some weird stuff went on with his defensive coaches earlier in the year. Flus is a good (teetering on very good) defensive coach, and if he gets fired he'll land somewhere pretty quickly (and do the thing he's good at - be a defensive coordinator). Like Fields, there's a lot to like, but I see zero improvement in the things he's bad at. I can't point to a single game where the Bears made a significant second half adjustment that tipped the scales in their favor (on offense or defense). He was repeatedly and very obviously outcoached in the second half of most games. While he's ultimately to blame, that kind of thing lays at the feet of his coordinators as well, which leads us to...

Getsy grew on me as the year went on. The more I watched diagram breakdowns on YouTube (shout out to Chase Daniel, etc.) I liked what he was doing. I get what he's going for. He's also said repeatedly that he's not changing his strategy based on the talent on the field. That's how much he believes in it. But dang dude, you can't just put your head in a play sheet and pretend that Justin Fields is Aaron Rodgers (or even Jordan Love) or that Tyler Scott is the same player as DJ Moore. Any game where DJ doesn't get 10 targets is a coaching error. I think he's a solid coordinator Tuesday - Saturday, but so far I haven't seen him shine as a Sunday guy. I know you can cherry pick on either side, but I remember them playing the Vikings, and it seemed to click on the MIN sideline that "hey, I think they're going to let us throw 9 yard passes to TJ Hockenson all day....let's do that" (and they did). Those are the kind of things I don't see from Getsy. OMG - and that play where the Bears ran a screen that got called back due to delay of game and then they ran the EXACT same play on 1st and 15 (and it was laughably stuffed).

Overall, the coaching staff is ok, but they are ultra-dependent on having enough talented players to overcome their shortcomings. These guys aren't wizards that can make a bagel and ketchup taste like a pizza. Vrabel, McVay, guys like that can do some smoke and mirrors stuff. Not these guys.

Justin....oh Justin. He's a killer because he's one improvement away from being a very good QB. His pocket presence is awful. No two ways about it. I don't know if it's because he didn't have to worry about pressure in college, or if he's always been able to "magic" his way out of a collapsing pocket, but he has 'zero' feel for what's going on around him. I know it's simple for me to sit on the couch and say "1-2-3-4 throw or run". It's the kind of thing that Bagent gets because he's had to worry about it his whole career. Bags is a 1-2-3 get it out or throw it away type of guy. Bagent's had a lot of practice having to make quick decisions. Justin does have a good feel for touch on his passes. He looks really good in the first half when they run their scripted plays. He's been let down a TON by his receiving 'talent' not named DJ Moore. When teams shut down DJ, Fields is left to watch the Tyler Scotts and Velus Jones' of the world try to play receiver (and what the heck happened to Mooney?). JF still doesn't read the field as quickly as I'd like, but he did get better in that department as the year went on. If he were even just marginally better at the "intangibles" of being a QB, he'd be a superstar. But it's a $30M a year gamble he'll put it together.

And here we are. Can Bears ownership sell the fanbase on yet another 5-year plan? Very tough. It would have to take a heck of a splash hiring coaching wise. I've heard Harbaugh thrown around, and I'm sure they'd pay him whatever he wants, but you have to think he's going to want some kind of final say in player and drafting decisions. I'm not sure Poles is keen on being the #2 guy with those decisions. Really, any big name coach is going to want more control than I think Pace is ready to give up. Would Flus consider staying as DC with Vrabel taking HC duties? Give Flus a $1M bonus and a "co-head coach" title as a face-saver and let him do what he does best. Vrabel would be a good fit here. Heck, he might even bring Henry along.

Fields and ATL seem like a perfect fit. I've always seen that as his destination if he moves on from CHI. Fields does have problems, but if Stefon Diggs was on this team the Bears would have 3 more wins and be in the playoffs (maybe more). Really, that's how many games they simply gave away. If Fields stays, they will add a veteran WR to help out underneath (or draft Nabers). I thought Mooney would flourish in that role (especially in a FA year) but he completely disappeared.

If I'm Poles, I turn over every coaching rock to see if I can turn up someone - anyone - that I think can turn Fields around. Because someone is going to fall head over heels for that #1 pick.
Very well said

Agree to disagree on the coaching staff. I've been vocal all year on why he's awful. Aside from the scripted play sheet, which has been pretty solid, he's been amazingly bad. Go back and watch a lot of the JT O'Sullivan tapes from earlier in the year. The number of plays where multiple receivers go to the same spot, where the concept is just not feasible for the situation, where we've rand the same failing play over and over and over, or where Fields has been placed in a lose/lose situation are insane. I will grant, he's learned a bit since early on but is still making egregious mistakes. No passes in the 3rd quarter and 6 runs called in a row against GB? Unacceptable. His OL is ill-prepared at best. His substitution patterns are, at best, questionable. End game situations he is way, way too conservative. The hits just keep coming.
As for Flus, I think he's been learning on the job as well. He's great with the players and has the defense buying into his scheme. I'm not 100% opposed to keeping him, but if we clean house, he should go as well.

I think you're correct in the idea that we make every effort to work with Fields because Fields + 3 1st round picks > Caleb. The Bears put themselves in a great position if it doesn't work out with Fields. The amount of wiggle room 3 additional firsts from what will likely be a very bad team is dynasty building and I have reason to believe that Poles can turn those 1sts into long term players.

I could see Vrabel to CHI as a good fit. So they probably will go in another direction...
I don't hate that idea at all. My guess is that he'll want to bring the rest of his staff from TEN as well. I'm hearing he like to be pretty hands off with the offense though, and I don't know much about the Titans' OC. Gotta be better than Getsy though.

Agree to disagree on the coaching staff. I've been vocal all year on why he's awful. Aside from the scripted play sheet, which has been pretty solid, he's been amazingly bad. Go back and watch a lot of the JT O'Sullivan tapes from earlier in the year. The number of plays where multiple receivers go to the same spot, where the concept is just not feasible for the situation, where we've rand the same failing play over and over and over, or where Fields has been placed in a lose/lose situation are insane. I will grant, he's learned a bit since early on but is still making egregious mistakes. No passes in the 3rd quarter and 6 runs called in a row against GB? Unacceptable. His OL is ill-prepared at best. His substitution patterns are, at best, questionable. End game situations he is way, way too conservative. The hits just keep coming.
As for Flus, I think he's been learning on the job as well. He's great with the players and has the defense buying into his scheme. I'm not 100% opposed to keeping him, but if we clean house, he should go as well.

I think you're correct in the idea that we make every effort to work with Fields because Fields + 3 1st round picks > Caleb. The Bears put themselves in a great position if it doesn't work out with Fields. The amount of wiggle room 3 additional firsts from what will likely be a very bad team is dynasty building and I have reason to believe that Poles can turn those 1sts into long term players.
No, no and no. 3 years isn't every effort to work with Fields? How exactly are they in a great position if it doesn't work out with Fields? They won't have a damn QB, after passing up 2 drafts in a row on picking one. Believe me you want in Poles. Dynasty building? Haaaaaa man I've heard it all now. Poles is building a dynasty lol

If Poles and ownership truly want to win, they clean house, bring in Harbaugh and a new QB. But they don't really care, so they will continue raking in the dough while putting out a losing product for more decades to come. Another year too long with a coach and qb who don't cut it and it's start over again next year

There are now two clear upgrades out there for head coach. Warren/Poles need to show us they're serious about winning and go get one of them. There is no reason not to.
They're not. They're there to serve the McCaskeys and pad their wallets. Winning is not a priority.

Chase Daniels is out there making a case for JF and its reasonable. He rewatched the entire season and thinks JF was one of the most improved QBs in the league over that stretch. He was awful Weeks 1-3. Holding the ball too long, too many fumbles, not making the right reads.

Since returning from the injury he making better adjustments, reads, getting the ball out sooner and limiting turnovers. This was his second full year in the same system and his first year with actual NFL caliber weapons. He showed over this last year that he is still developing and has the potential to get better. Surround him with some additional weapons and he believes there is still room to take another step forward.

Remember this about Justin Fields. They're still saying that about Sam Darnold and still trying to resurrect that guy's career.

"Give him a line!" they cried. "Give him weapons!" they maintained.

Lots of people will absolutely not cut their losses and move on from a draft pick with high draft capital. That's a mistake.

Mooooooooove on.

Getsy and Janocko out. I can't believe Flus is coming back.
To me, this means they're planning to keep Fields and run it back with a new OC and a boatload of picks from trading down from #1.
I really hope this franchise has learned its lesson on replacing coaches and QBs at the same time. There is a reason the Bears suck at developing QBs and not having HC/OC/QB on the same page is a major part of that

Chase Daniels is out there making a case for JF and its reasonable. He rewatched the entire season and thinks JF was one of the most improved QBs in the league over that stretch. He was awful Weeks 1-3. Holding the ball too long, too many fumbles, not making the right reads.

Since returning from the injury he making better adjustments, reads, getting the ball out sooner and limiting turnovers. This was his second full year in the same system and his first year with actual NFL caliber weapons. He showed over this last year that he is still developing and has the potential to get better. Surround him with some additional weapons and he believes there is still room to take another step forward.
Save you breath, friend. The anti-Fields crown in this room are loud and don't care about facts or expert opinion.

Remember this about Justin Fields. They're still saying that about Sam Darnold and still trying to resurrect that guy's career.

"Give him a line!" they cried. "Give him weapons!" they maintained.

Lots of people will absolutely not cut their losses and move on from a draft pick with high draft capital. That's a mistake.

Mooooooooove on.
That move for Zach Wilson sure paid off.

Save you breath, friend. The anti-Fields crown in this room are loud and don't care about facts or expert opinion.
And the supported will have another list of excuses next year from why he didn't take over or succeed. No one is ever willing to admit to being wrong. That's the world we live in. Bears will flop again next year and it'll all begin over. Trestman, Fox, Nagy, Eberflus. No time for real winners on this team.

Seems like that Wilson thing was just a cheap shot because I'm a Jets fan.

It served no logical purpose in the argument other than "your quarterback sucked!"

Great job, Max. Yes, he stinks. The only move regarding him was the one to get away from him once the Jets realized how bad he was.

Bears beat reporter nails it:

1. If a contract extension doesn't come for Matt Eberflus (aka assurance for the next offensive staff coming in), then I think it will be challenging for the Bears to find the pool of candidates they want for an OC, QBs coach, etc. If you're an OC with offers to go several places, why take a job with a head coach entering lame duck status who could be gone if the team doesn't win in 2024? If the HC ends up being fired after next season, nearly every time the whole staff is gone. That's something an OC and his offensive staff would have to consider.

2. If the Bears stick with Justin Fields in 2024, they will be asking him to learn his 3rd offense in 4 years. It takes a whole year alone to master the verbiage of an offense as we were told first hand from Fields and his offensive teammates. That seems like a tall ask for a QB still trying to find his footing after 38 career starts.

3. If no extension comes for Eberflus and the Bears trade Fields and draft a rookie QB with the No. 1 overall pick, the team is perpetuating the same cycle we've seen since John Fox-Mitchell Trubisky, then Trubkisy-Matt Nagy, then Nagy-Justin Fields, then Fields-Matt Eberflus. Ultimately, the Bears could have broken that cycle if they decided to make changes across the board but are moving forward with Eberflus in 2024 and a *massive*, franchise-altering decision to make a QB in the coming months

I'm fine if the Bears take Caleb Williams and retool, but I don't think its the slam dunk some think. Offense still has holes. We still have a defensive head coach. Williams is going to run into plenty of the same problems JF did.

It served no logical purpose in the argument other than "your quarterback sucked!"

Great job, Max. Yes, he stinks. The only move regarding him was the one to get away from him once the Jets realized how bad he was.
Most Bears fans are broken and almost need the team to keep losing.

I'm fine if the Bears take Caleb Williams and retool, but I don't think its the slam dunk some think. Offense still has holes. We still have a defensive head coach. Williams is going to run into plenty of the same problems JF did.
Doesn't matter who the hell they take now.

His QBR, passer rating, adjusted net yards per attempt, yards per game and completion percentage all finished in the bottom third of the league. His EPA per pass attempt was among the worst QBs in the league.

Well you're advocating moving on from Darnold was easily the right move. Which QB after Lawrence would you have rather had in that class? My point is that new and shiny isn't always better.

Well you're advocating moving on from Darnold was easily the right move. Which QB after Lawrence would you have rather had in that class? My point is that new and shiny isn't always better.

Well, we could have had Fields who is better than Sam Darnold is. It was easily the right move to move on from Darnold. He had proven he was not a starter in the league. Better to see what else there was.

Fields is a little different because he is a better quarterback than Darnold by a pretty good margin. But you have to ask yourself, "Is he even a playoff QB?" He hasn't led the team there yet. Not even close, really.

His QBR, passer rating, adjusted net yards per attempt, yards per game and completion percentage all finished in the bottom third of the league. His EPA per pass attempt was among the worst QBs in the league.
But what about the "expert opinions???"
They provide nuance over the scope of the entire season. Weeks 1-3 he was atrocious. The whole offense was.

The final stretch of the year he played pretty well and the team should have gone 6-1 if not for two meltdowns that weren't on him.

Well, we could have had Fields who is better than Sam Darnold is. It was easily the right move to move on from Darnold. He had proven he was not a starter in the league. Better to see what else there was.

Fields is a little different because he is a better quarterback than Darnold by a pretty good margin. But you have to ask yourself, "Is he even a playoff QB?" He hasn't led the team there yet. Not even close, really.
Hard to argue he has had a playoff caliber team around him in any of those years. Year 1 was the end of the Nagy Era and a lot was going wrong. Year 2 was a tank job where he had the 32nd ranked Defense in the NFL and no good offensive skill players around him. Year 3 was disappointing, but a lot of improvement was made. The Bears D was still statistically the worst through the first month of the season.

So to respond, I don't even know if Caleb Williams is a playoff caliber QB with this team. And if we're judging QB by wins and losses Drake Maye went 12-10 against D I teams in his career. 1-6 vs top 25. That one win came against Miami who finished the year 7-6. He did all that in the ACC which is so bad a team can go undefeated and not make the college playoffs.

Bears beat reporter nails it:

1. If a contract extension doesn't come for Matt Eberflus (aka assurance for the next offensive staff coming in), then I think it will be challenging for the Bears to find the pool of candidates they want for an OC, QBs coach, etc. If you're an OC with offers to go several places, why take a job with a head coach entering lame duck status who could be gone if the team doesn't win in 2024? If the HC ends up being fired after next season, nearly every time the whole staff is gone. That's something an OC and his offensive staff would have to consider.

2. If the Bears stick with Justin Fields in 2024, they will be asking him to learn his 3rd offense in 4 years. It takes a whole year alone to master the verbiage of an offense as we were told first hand from Fields and his offensive teammates. That seems like a tall ask for a QB still trying to find his footing after 38 career starts.

3. If no extension comes for Eberflus and the Bears trade Fields and draft a rookie QB with the No. 1 overall pick, the team is perpetuating the same cycle we've seen since John Fox-Mitchell Trubisky, then Trubkisy-Matt Nagy, then Nagy-Justin Fields, then Fields-Matt Eberflus. Ultimately, the Bears could have broken that cycle if they decided to make changes across the board but are moving forward with Eberflus in 2024 and a *massive*, franchise-altering decision to make a QB in the coming months
On these points, we mostly agree. I do think learning an offense becomes easier as you gain experience in the league and having a good OC will help that along. I don't think it'll take Fields 3 years to master an offense like it will a rookie.

They provide nuance over the scope of the entire season. Weeks 1-3 he was atrocious. The whole offense was.

The final stretch of the year he played pretty well and the team should have gone 6-1 if not for two meltdowns that weren't on him.
This is the #1 reason I'd fire Flus. This team was not anywhere near prepared to play in week 1. The OL was a freakin' comedy show. The DEF was scattered and uninspired. The playcalling on both sides of the ball was beyond terrible. Those things are 100% on the coaching staff with who Flus is responsible. They may love him in the front office, but he's got a LOT of work to do to show me that he can prepare this team for both Week 1 and every single week after that.

This is the #1 reason I'd fire Flus. This team was not anywhere near prepared to play in week 1. The OL was a freakin' comedy show. The DEF was scattered and uninspired. The playcalling on both sides of the ball was beyond terrible. Those things are 100% on the coaching staff with who Flus is responsible. They may love him in the front office, but he's got a LOT of work to do to show me that he can prepare this team for both Week 1 and every single week after that.
I've heard some pretty concerning things come out about Claypool as well. He was an issue the entire camp and preseason, but they gave him a pass because they hoped he would show out on Sundays. He didn't and needed to go. After his departure they tried to make Mooney pick up the slack and do things he hadn't been working on the whole offseason. Its rumored to be one of the reasons he looked so out of sync this year.

I don't give Poles a pass on this either. He entered the season with zero pass rush.

Chase Daniels is an expert? No chance.

I don't want to hear the excuses anymore. 10-28 career record. One game over 300 yards. Horrible pocket awareness. Loser against GB. Got shut out by GB AND Minnesota the last month and a half. What about him having a good second half? A loser franchise would be ok keeping Fields.

Chase Daniels is an expert? No chance.

I don't want to hear the excuses anymore. 10-28 career record. One game over 300 yards. Horrible pocket awareness. Loser against GB. Got shut out by GB AND Minnesota the last month and a half. What about him having a good second half? A loser franchise would be ok keeping Fields.
Come on, now. Chase and JTO may not have been HoFers, but they both were in the league for years and years. You have to be pretty knowledgeable to be a backup QB in the NFL for multiple contracts.

Looking ahead, assuming they actually realize the obvious and move on from Fields, the next OC needs to be someone with experience and success calling plays before. Same goes for QB coach. No more of this learning on the job crap. You're not getting any of the young hotshots with a lame duck coach anyway.

That leaves names like Frank Reich. Josh McDaniels. Maybe a Kellen Moore. Lord help us.

He played average, which was a vast improvement over sucking. How is it that the bad things that happen are never on him? That's not the world we live in with the NFL. The QBs make the big bucks because it IS on them. These excuses just add to the long list of failures for the Bears. You win or you're out. That's how it works.

Looking ahead, assuming they actually realize the obvious and move on from Fields, the next OC needs to be someone with experience and success calling plays before. Same goes for QB coach. No more of this learning on the job crap. You're not getting any of the young hotshots with a lame duck coach anyway.

That leaves names like Frank Reich. Josh McDaniels. Maybe a Kellen Moore. Lord help us.
Yep

Users who are viewing this thread