What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (6 Viewers)

This is really helping me make peace with drafting Williams and Odunze with the first and tenth picks. Grab some interior o-line in FA and I'm good.
Don't forget ditching the entire coaching staff, neither of which do I think the Bears will do.
I dunno, you have to figure that, at the very least, Getsy will be a sacrificial lamb. Someone has to take the hit and he seems to be the easy choice.

Have we seen enough? Shut out of the end zone thru 3 against a very mediocre defense.

Coaches all gone tomorrow. Fields traded in March or April. Let's move on. We've got some good things to build on.

This is really helping me make peace with drafting Williams and Odunze with the first and tenth picks. Grab some interior o-line in FA and I'm good.
Don't forget ditching the entire coaching staff, neither of which do I think the Bears will do.
I dunno, you have to figure that, at the very least, Getsy will be a sacrificial lamb. Someone has to take the hit and he seems to be the easy choice.
What's that do? You're letting Eberflus pick another OC and giving him a top QB prospect? No no no.

What's that do? You're letting Eberflus pick another OC and giving him a top QB prospect? No no no.
Hey, I agree with you. I'm just saying what I think will happen. I would clean house and bring in a coach that would play to Caleb Williams' strengths.
Harbaugh is my first choice as it looks like he'll jump ship, but I'm realistic that ownership won't be willing to pony up the $$$ for him.

9 points against one of the worst defenses in the league and Fields about to be 0-6 in his career against the Packers. Eberflus is an absolute loser at life.

Let's hope and pray ownershiphas a change of heart between now and tomorrow and gets rid of Fox. Worst season in Bears history finishing with 2 straight blowouts.
Bumping the post that started this thread. Owners held onto Fox an extra season for no reason and it was disastrous. Let's see it they do the same again with Eberflus. My guess is probably.

9 PTs and no TD at a chance to keep the Packers out of the playoffs. But yeah, let's keep the coaching staff and qb because continuity.

7-10 with a soft schedule and multiple meltdown losses and ended the season getting smoked again by Green Bay. Never been an easier decision to make. Zero momentum going into the off season. Just further embarrassment.

9 PTs and no TD at a chance to keep the Packers out of the playoffs. But yeah, let's keep the coaching staff and qb because continuity.
Held without a TD against Minnesota and GB in the last half of the season. And we're still going to get people defending him. The wimps on The Score are so afraid to tell it like it is.

Held without a TD against Minnesota and GB in the last half of the season. And we're still going to get people defending him. The wimps on The Score are so afraid to tell it like it is.
Here is my defense... put Caleb Williams in that spot.

Outside of DJ Moore, he has E. St Brown, Tyler Scott, Travis Taylor, Velus Jones, Rob Tonyon, Herbert, and Ro Johnson as his weapons.

Now also missing a starting center and guard. RT is a rookie and LT is a 5th rd pick

What is CW going to do so much better than JF there?

Now im flustered. I don't love Caleb, but damn if he isn't the best of the bunch.

He makes things happen when a play breaks down and that's almost the Bears offensive MO.

He just won't be properly coached with the current staff, so in that aspect I don't want him at all.

Full reset... yes please

1. Pay Harbaugh whatever he wants.
2. Re-sign Jaylon Johnson.
3. Sign two interior lineman in FA. There are a few available.
4. Trade Fields. You can get a second rounder I'm sure.
5. Draft Williams and Odunze in the first.
6. With the second you traded for, get Graham Barton.
7. Draft defense hard after that. Safety, Edge, CB.

Outside of DJ Moore, he has E. St Brown, Tyler Scott, Travis Taylor, Velus Jones, Rob Tonyon, Herbert, and Ro Johnson as his weapons.

Now also missing a starting center and guard. RT is a rookie and LT is a 5th rd pick

Wooh... Bears line has been really good the second half of the season. You can't be putting poor QB play on the line. Cannot!

Love.
I want the Bears to sign Danielle Hunter and cut his rate after a year or two.
Sign WR Samuel as a#3 as well

Wooh... Bears line has been really good the second half of the season. You can't be putting poor QB play on the line. Cannot!
It's not great OL play. Rushing Offense is average at best.
Did you see the time to throw stat vs Cleveland? It was horrific.

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. C and LG? Davis was pretty good this year
4. Agree.
5. Not sure about the 9 pick. Right now I think id prefer D line
6/7. Too early for this but I'll tell you what, this team badly needs a better running game.

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. C and LG? Davis was pretty good this year
4. Agree.
5. Not sure about the 9 pick. Right now I think id prefer D line
6/7. Too early for this but I'll tell you what, this team badly needs a better running game.
Yes, Center and Guard. Barton was my second round choice because he can play either position as well.
For the WR pick at 9, they will be dangerously thin at the position next year and, while there will be good ones in FA, they're gonna get paid. That money can be better used elsewhere.
Agree on the RB, but recent history shows you can get a pretty good one in FA.

Last edited:
I'm officially done watching this team if we keep the coaching staff. Flus has been a good DC and seems like a genuinely nice guy, but his teams are woefully underprepared, his DC was fired for HR reasons after week 3, and his OC is hot garbage after rolling through the scripted plays. 16 total pass attempts this week, none in the 3rd Q and a stretch of 6 straight running plays is not how to choreograph an offense.

I'm officially done watching this team if we keep the coaching staff. Flus has been a good DC and seems like a genuinely nice guy, but his teams are woefully underprepared, his DC was fired for HR reasons after week 3, and his OC is hot garbage after rolling through the scripted plays. 16 total pass attempts this week, none in the 3rd Q and a stretch of 6 straight running plays is not how to choreograph an offense.
I said this earlier in the season, but got sucked back in as they seemed to be improving. I’m so disgusted now that I might be back with you. There are much more enjoyable ways to spend my time. Unfortunately, I have seen no evidence that ownership cares since Halas passed.

What do you think Fields has in trade value? Can they get a second or third round pick for him?
I think they'll be able to get a 2nd rounder. People seem to still be enamored by his potential and there will be plenty of teams that need a qb. Atlanta, maybe Vegas, maybe Seattle.

Past history tells us they'll screw up again and stick with another coach a year too long and continue along the path of failure. This is really the only thing that matters at this point. Will the new president and GM forge a different path or continue with more of the same? My gut tells me they will continue to be losers.

Past history tells us they'll screw up again and stick with another coach a year too long and continue along the path of failure. This is really the only thing that matters at this point. Will the new president and GM forge a different path or continue with more of the same? My gut tells me they will continue to be losers.
Eberflus is currently conducting players’ exit interviews, so looks like he’ll be back next year 🤦‍♂️

The Bears are in a position to do anything they want. Could get Harbaugh, draft a new QB and a couple more WRs and be set up for years to come. To the most casual of fans, this is a no brainer. But likely not the McCaskeys.

I will probably get blasted for this but here goes. I think they should keep Fields. This whole "QB reset" thing is just silly to me. Is Caleb Williams really that good? I'm in the LA market and while his physical talent is there, I don't know if he has it "upstairs". And are his physical talents really much better than Fields'? I don't know. It was mentioned upthread, but besides D.J. Moore, who has Fields been throwing to? Kmet? Past that, it's absolute hot trash. And I don't believe in Drake Maye. I've had enough with UNC QBs. Sigh.

Give Fields some bruisers on the OL and watch him run for 70 yards a game. No other QB not named Lamar is as dangerous with his legs both as a scrambler and a designed runner than Fields.

Again, more blasting here probably but I think they should draft Harrison Jr. to pair with Moore. That pair plus Kmet equals a pretty deadly bunch. Maybe add in a solid slot that could move the chains along with Kmet.

I think they should trade down from the 9-hole for extra resources later. Maybe move to the end of the 1st and gain a 2nd?

Been a Bears fan since before '85 and try and follow as much as humanly possible. The coach and GM aren't great, that's for sure... but what else is really out there? That I'm not up on as much... would love to hear alternatives in that regard.

as a packers fan i hope that the bears keep blowing everything up and firing everyone all the time its worked out so well since you got rid of lovie i mean just keep it up i guess its satisfying for the bears fans to fire everyone and its even more satisfying to know as a packer you will play a first year guy or a guy who is about to be fired every game take that to the bank brohans

Drafting Maye might be the only thing that would piss me off.
* Want to keep Fields and take Harrison? Sure, I don't like it but I could live with it.
* Want to trade down and get a boatload of picks/players? Sure, why not.
* Want to take Williams and reset the qb salary clock? I'm all for it.
* Want to take Maye at 1.1? Hell no.

* Want to keep Fields and take Harrison? Sure, I don't like it but I could live with it.
I am a big fan of Orlovsky for qb analysis and he's in love with Maye. Just based on personalities from interviews I've seen, Maye is well ahead of Williams in that department.

I am a big fan of Orlovsky for qb analysis and he's in love with Maye. Just based on personalities from interviews I've seen, Maye is well ahead of Williams in that department.
I'm in agreement with this

Here's a look at the Bears' offensive line situation headed into 2024.

8 guys had meaningful playing time in 2023; here's how long they're under contract.

likely 2024 starters:
LT Braxton Jones (signed through 2025)
LG Teven Jenkins (signed through 2024)
RG Nate Davis (signed through 2024 plus team option for 2025)
RT Darnell Wright (signed through 2026 plus team option for 2027)

likely 2024 backups:
OT Larry Borom (signed through 2024)
OL Ja'Tyre Carter (signed through 2025)

likely leaving town:
C/G Cody Whitehair (team option for 2024)
C Lucas Patrick (FA)

According to PFF, the Bears' offensive line was about average on the whole. Teven Jenkins was good, Braxton Jones & Darnell Wright were averageish, Nate Davis was below average, and the other guys were bad (Lucas Patrick, Cody Whitehair, Larry Borom, and Ja'Tyre Carter).

The Bears currently have a hole at center. Patrick & Whitehair were both bad last year, and I wouldn't expect that to change going forward since Patrick has mostly been a backup & has never been that good and Whitehair looks to be old & in decline. Both are likely gone next season, as Patrick is a FA and Whitehair is well past the guaranteed portion of his contract and would cost $10.3M to keep. Even if they do keep one of them for cheap (re-signing Patrick or getting Whitehair to take a pay cut), the Bears should be looking to find someone better to start. Either a FA who they bring in to start, or a day 2 pick who they bring in to start, or maybe a couple guys who they bring in to compete (say a FA who would be a low-end starter and a 4th or 5th round pick).

At guard I think the Bears probably already have their 2024 starters, but they lack depth and their starters might not stick around past 2024.Teven Jenkins has been their best lineman each of the past 2 years, when he's played, but he has missed time with injuries every year of his career and he's going into the last year of his contract. The injuries make it more important to have a solid backup, and might make the team less willing to sign him long term. At the other guard spot, the Bears signed Nate Davis to a big contract last offseason after he had 3 good seasons with the Titans in 2020-22, but he struggled this year as PFF's 61st ranked guard out of 81. Most of the first 2 years of his contract were guaranteed, so cutting him would only save $2.5M in new money, which means he'll probably be back as a 2024 starter. But the Bears may want to be looking for long-term options (since they won't want to pay him $9.5M in new money in 2025 if he doesn't bounce back next year), and depth who could compete for a starting spot in 2024 if he keeps struggling. A mid-round draft pick at guard would make a lot of sense.

The Bears are in pretty good shape at offensive tackle. There was some talk about the Bears looking at the top tackles in this year's class with their own first round pick (pick 9), but that doesn't seem like a good use of that pick given how well Braxton Jones & Darnell Wright have played. Upgrading from averageish tackle to an elite one shouldn't be a priority, especially when the one who played less well last year (Wright) is a young 1st rounder who could still be improving. Maybe they'll look for a new backup at tackle in the mid-to-late rounds or in free agency, since Borom hasn't been that good & is going into the last year of his rookie deal.

Bottom line:
1. They need to find a starting center, and it should be someone new. This is the only OL spot where it could make sense to use a rd1-2 pick or a significant FA signing, though given that it's not a premium position they could find someone for cheaper.
2. Some depth would be nice, all across the line, but especially a development guard (perhaps in the mid rounds of the draft) who might become a starter long-term.

Users who are viewing this thread