What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chip Kelly (1 Viewer)

Going to be an interesting year for Chip. Not make or break quite yet. But his seat is going to be warm if the Eagles win 5-7 games.

Going to be an interesting year for Chip. Not make or break quite yet. But his seat is going to be warm if the Eagles win 5-7 games.
You really don't know Jeff Lurie do you. Chip could go 1-15 and Lurie would still let him play out his contract at the least.

He won 10 games in his first 2 years. Why do you think one losing season would put him in jeopardy? He won the power struggle in the front office. Lurie is all in on Chip.

It's interesting how the "He's going back to college in 2 years" hater crowd has morphed. :lmao:
He's made some pretty terrible play calls the last couple years that have cost the Eagles in some of their biggest moments and he still has a lot to prove. This year will be very interesting to see how the personal moves work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
GreenNGold said:
It's interesting how the "He's going back to college in 2 years" hater crowd has morphed. :lmao:
He's made some pretty terrible play calls the last couple years that have cost the Eagles in some of their biggest moments and he still has a lot to prove. This year will be very interesting to see how the personal moves work out.
Come on -- the guy took over a 4 win team and has won 20 games in two years while turning over the roster. What more do you want? He's a damn good coach, certainly. If you want to say that the jury is still out on him as a GM / personnel guy, then yeah, he just took over that role. But as a coach, he's been great.

I read that as: "Chip's system doesn't work for players like Cary Williams".

Now that it is year 3 this year, and Chip has put a lot of pieces in place on defense, we will truly see if his system can have a good defense with the added stress he puts on them from having to defend a greater number of possessions.

I tend to think it will work, but then again, I am a fan of the team, so I have very little objectivity.

I read that as: "Chip's system doesn't work for players like Cary Williams".

Now that it is year 3 this year, and Chip has put a lot of pieces in place on defense, we will truly see if his system can have a good defense with the added stress he puts on them from having to defend a greater number of possessions.

I tend to think it will work, but then again, I am a fan of the team, so I have very little objectivity.
I read that as "Cary Williams is a whiner and not a very good CB and would like to deflect from his own problems."

The referendum on Chip will come in whether he can win or not. Not from Cary Williams' complaining.

To be fair, Cary Williams did whine while he was here. Which is why I think that he is just a baby overall and also not that good. #sconces

I have always though highly of Chip Kelly and hated that he is coaching the Eagles smack dab in my fav team's division (Dallas).

Being as objective as I can be, so far I would say that his resume so far with Philly is best described as incomplete. It's obvious to me that he is building HIS team, which have come with some interesting decisions along the way. Right now, I am of the opinion that he will either challenge for a title in the next 3 years or be fired.

Total boom/bust coach. He is either briliant or stupid...I honestly still don't know yet.

I have always though highly of Chip Kelly and hated that he is coaching the Eagles smack dab in my fav team's division (Dallas).

Being as objective as I can be, so far I would say that his resume so far with Philly is best described as incomplete. It's obvious to me that he is building HIS team, which have come with some interesting decisions along the way. Right now, I am of the opinion that he will either challenge for a title in the next 3 years or be fired.

Total boom/bust coach. He is either briliant or stupid...I honestly still don't know yet.
Fair assessment. Based on his record of success in college and so far in the pros without a top tier QB, I think he is more likely to boom. But as we all know, that's what I want to happen.

Fair assessment. Based on his record of success in college and so far in the pros without a top tier QB, I think he is more likely to boom. But as we all know, that's what I want to happen.
I just personally question the Bradford decision, I don't see him as elite. I see him as a big risk actually. Trading away Shady, only to bring in 2 over rated backs imho. I really think Murray is and was very much over rated and now over paid. I love your first round pick this year and I also like Matthews abilities.

I admit he seems to have a plan, I just can't follow it.

Don't most coaches want to bring in "their guys." Kelly just seems to be a lightning rod. The last coach that I recall stating he could make it work with "his guys" was Spurrier. That failed miserably. I think incomplete is a great way to describe Kelly.

He's been decent. Never thought his team was a favorite to win. He doesn't have his QB yet and to be honest neither did Trestman, Rex, or Schiano? Or any number of other coaches who got canned in the past few seasons?

Don't most coaches want to bring in "their guys." Kelly just seems to be a lightning rod. The last coach that I recall stating he could make it work with "his guys" was Spurrier. That failed miserably. I think incomplete is a great way to describe Kelly.

He's been decent. Never thought his team was a favorite to win. He doesn't have his QB yet and to be honest neither did Trestman, Rex, or Schiano? Or any number of other coaches who got canned in the past few seasons?
Every coach has his guys and his plan. This is no different.

At any time during Spurrier's reign do you recall the best coaches in the game seeking out his opinion on things football related? Think about it.

I kind of know what you mean, as we will see what happens once he is fully in control, but he did go 10-6 his first 2 years, so I'm not sure that he can really be considered a bust at any point.

I just personally question the Bradford decision, I don't see him as elite. I see him as a big risk actually. Trading away Shady, only to bring in 2 over rated backs imho. I really think Murray is and was very much over rated and now over paid. I love your first round pick this year and I also like Matthews abilities.

The Bradford risk has been gone over so many times. He's as risky as starting Foles this year, from a performance and injury perspective only he's much more talented.

The Murray being overrated thing is stretching it a bit. No one seems to call him, or imply he's the best back in the league so he's probably rated right where he should be. He always had the potential and lived up to it the past 2 seasons.

As I mentioned to Saber...if his plan were an easy plan and made for the likes of us to follow he wouldn't be coaching in the NFL. You have guys like Urban Meyer and Belechek seeking out his knowledge. That's enough for me

I think it's because of his system which no other coach really runs. So, if it works...total genius. If it doesn't work, he was crazy and brought in a bunch of scheme specific guys that future coaching staffs may not love in trying to put them back into more conventional systems. Just my take.

I kind of know what you mean, as we will see what happens once he is fully in control, but he did go 10-6 his first 2 years, so I'm not sure that he can really be considered a bust at any point.
not comparing the two in any way other than record over first two years, but Kotite was 10-6 and 11-5, so who knows where this will go. I'm all in on Chip and I'm excited to see this team as it is obviously a lot closer to what he wants. The lack of LG and RG makes me nervous, as does the 'depth' at O-line in general. Especially if you believe that Chip wants to run 550 times this year.

I think we have a potentially very good defense this year. ST should still be one of the tops in the league and assuming Chip knows what he wants, this offense could be great.

I think it's because of his system which no other coach really runs. So, if it works...total genius. If it doesn't work, he was crazy and brought in a bunch of scheme specific guys that future coaching staffs may not love in trying to put them back into more conventional systems. Just my take.
can you give an example of a scheme specific player Kelly brought in that wouldn't work in a conventional system?

can you give an example of a scheme specific player Kelly brought in that wouldn't work in a conventional system?
tebow

can you give an example of a scheme specific player Kelly brought in that wouldn't work for another coach?
I guess saying fit for a specific team may have been a better way for me to say it. Contract is important too...

One example...while I see Matthews and Agholor as good talents and a solid fit for Chip's O. I don't see either of them playing the X spot in most offenses or as true number 1 WR. I also think Sproles is great too, but not a fit for many teams.

Bradford is a pretty big gamble imo...what about Tebow?

I have already stated that I also think Murray is/was highly over rated as a talent. I think you paid way too much for him.

not comparing the two in any way other than record over first two years, but Kotite was 10-6 and 11-5, so who knows where this will go. I'm all in on Chip and I'm excited to see this team as it is obviously a lot closer to what he wants. The lack of LG and RG makes me nervous, as does the 'depth' at O-line in general. Especially if you believe that Chip wants to run 550 times this year.

I think we have a potentially very good defense this year. ST should still be one of the tops in the league and assuming Chip knows what he wants, this offense could be great.
10-6 with what I contend was one of the greatest defenses ever and an absolutely horrible offense.

11-5 with the same defense minus Jerome Brown, but the offense got Randall Cunningham back.

If Kelly had inherited the defense that Kotite got, the Eagles probably would have won the super bowl two years ago.

I definitely question Bradford from a health perspective. If he stays healthy though, I think he will be one of the top QB's in the league in Chip's offense.

can you give an example of a scheme specific player Kelly brought in that wouldn't work for another coach?
I guess saying fit for a tem may have been a better way to say it. Contract is important too...

One example...while I see Matthews and Agholor as good talents and a solid fit for Chip's O. I don't see either of them playing the X spot in most offenses or as true number 1 WR. I also think Sproles is great too, but not a fit for many teams.

I have already stated that I also think Murray is/was highly over rated as a talent. I think you paid way too much for him.
Im not sure I follow this logic...Both draw comps to guys who seem to fit anywhere. Mathews is often compared to Colston and Agholor compared to Maclin

There is not a single "gamble" in any 3rd QB in all of the NFL

The money is another overstated aspect of these discussions. Nearly every NFL deal ends up favoring the teams. Every year the cap rises as well and we have been probably the best in the league at managing the cap going back to our Joe Banner days

I guess saying fit for a tem may have been a better way to say it. Contract is important too...

Im not sure I follow this logic...Both draw comps to guys who seem to fit anywhere. Mathews is often compared to Colston and Agholor compared to Maclin

There is not a single "gamble" in any 3rd QB in all of the NFL

The money is another overstated aspect of these discussions. Nearly every NFL deal ends up favoring the teams. Every year the cap rises as well and we have been probably the best in the league at managing the cap going back to our Joe Banner days
Just sharing my thoughts on what I see/think... i am NOT claiming to be all seeing, I just think Chip has a system and way of doing things and the guys he brought in, are perfect for HIS system and I personally believe he is paying a premium to get his guys. It very well may work, I am just saying if it doesn't...I think the hole left will be bigger then many believe.

Listen, I have already predicted Agholor as OROY in another thread, but that to me is specific to Chip's team. My prediction is not strictly based on his talent and the same goes for Matthews. Put those guys on say....the Dolphins, Falcons or Rams (tried to pick decent teams). Is this striking fear in opposing defenses??? I don't think it is.

@SheilKapadia: Per report, Chip wanted to take Jordan Matthews in the 1st round of last year's draft. Roseman convinced him to wait:

@SheilKapadia: @smartfootball Yup, better example is Chip saying he'd have taken T. Hart in 3rd. Was convinced to wait until 5th. Just wonder

More examples of Chip perhaps reaching on value...to get his guys.

@SheilKapadia: Per report, Chip wanted to take Jordan Matthews in the 1st round of last year's draft. Roseman convinced him to wait:

@SheilKapadia: @smartfootball Yup, better example is Chip saying he'd have taken T. Hart in 3rd. Was convinced to wait until 5th. Just wonder

Or simply a difference of opinion on when to take a guy?

Well, it fits my narrative so I included it as other potential examples of what I am referreing to as I am being asked to explain my opinion and how it was formed. As mentioned, it could all very well work out. I still think it's incomplete at this point to grade Kelly, but it has BOOM/BUST written all over it.

Well, it fits my narrative so I included it as other potential examples of what I am referreing to as I am being asked to explain my opinion and how it was formed. As mentioned, it could all very well work out. I still think it's incomplete at this point to grade Kelly, but it has BOOM/BUST written all over it.
Well your first narrative was that he brought in a bunch of system guys when you really meant he's bringing in the players he thinks are the best fit for his offense - something every coach does. And they are mostly guys who have had success on other NFL teams with conventional offenses.

McCoy led the lead in runs for a loss/no gain which was not a good fit if you're going 3-n-out in 32 seconds. He's been replaced by a north-south power runner who can hopefully extend drives. And I think the very nature of being a head coach is boom/bust. Marc Trestman was hired by Chicago the same year Kelly came to Philly. Trestman's now an OC and Kelly's still coaching. Ironic since a lot of people were predicting Trestman was the better hire and Kelly would be back in the NCAA by now.

Well your first narrative was that he brought in a bunch of system guys when you really meant he's bringing in the players he thinks are the best fit for his offense - something every coach does. And they are mostly guys who have had success on other NFL teams with conventional offenses.

McCoy led the lead in runs for a loss/no gain which was not a good fit if you're going 3-n-out in 32 seconds. He's been replaced by a north-south power runner who can hopefully extend drives. And I think the very nature of being a head coach is boom/bust. Marc Trestman was hired by Chicago the same year Kelly came to Philly. Trestman's now an OC and Kelly's still coaching. Ironic since a lot of people were predicting Trestman was the better hire and Kelly would be back in the NCAA by now.
Both

If Kelly had inherited the defense that Kotite got...
...he would have gutted it and used the proceeds to stock up on overpriced and fragile offensive pieces.

Guy's no more than two seasons from being the go-to joke any time someone wants to describe how badly a GM is doing.

...he would have gutted it and used the proceeds to stock up on overpriced and fragile offensive pieces.

Guy's no more than two seasons from being the go-to joke any time someone wants to describe how badly a GM is doing.
Wow, why all the animosity towards Chip?

Why don't you wait for him to start to fail before you call him a failure?

Wow, why all the animosity towards Chip?

Why don't you wait for him to start to fail before you call him a failure?
The Chip hate is strong in some - they just can't wait for him to fail. Cuz ya know, Spurrier....

And yet all he's done in his 1st 2 years is completely turn around the steaming pile of crap the Golden Child Andy Reid left behind.

I guess saying fit for a specific team may have been a better way for me to say it. Contract is important too...

Sproles? Yeah he did terrible in NO and SD huh?

Murray is obviously sour grapes. His deal is no worse than McCoy's and he is less of a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread